Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2009, 14:01   #706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Premium or additive once is a quarter dont harm, they help clean nothing else.
Dadu, help!
What is this supposed to mean?
Old 24th March 2009, 14:06   #707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Dadu, help!
What is this supposed to mean?
What I meant was that if you are really skeptical about using additives, you might reduce the usage to one tankful every quarter.

They help to clean.

Adc has been on premium for a full 1.5 years with no ill effects.
Old 24th March 2009, 14:26   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
What I meant was that if you are really skeptical about using additives, you might reduce the usage to one tankful every quarter.

They help to clean.

Adc has been on premium for a full 1.5 years with no ill effects.
HPCL R&D and IOCL R&D suggest that you should run atleast 100 Kms on these "Premium" fuels for them to do their "job".

I cannot quote names but they inform the same in all their seminars.

Last edited by kingshukt : 24th March 2009 at 14:31.
Old 24th March 2009, 23:04   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well or the case may be that your hose was perfectly fine and when you asked them to check they applied their usual method of Shaking and pulling up the hose to check if it is not coming out and it became loose in process.
Exactly what seems to have been the case, so the learning is once again, what ain't broken, do not fix

After all this, I still have to say that Concorde/Tata guys whatever may be their expertise, do deserve the mention that they follow up well on their service.
Today my vehicle was picked up from office and delivered back at the end of the day, mid-day I received a call from them saying they are gonna change the headlight assembly on both left and right, reason being some water visible inside, I hadn't asked them to look for that as I had never noticed it in the first place and there they have done it, 6.5k under warranty, feels good to see a company standing by their products at least, there ain't many to tell of if I think hard.

So I might as well turn the stereo volume up a notch and drown a few noises, knowing that the guys are doing the best at their level to keep me running.

I was again told during service to follow the normal diesel route that I have been doing after almost 7 months of turbojet initially and so is the advice from a friend working for TML.

Last edited by aburagohain : 24th March 2009 at 23:09.
Old 25th March 2009, 11:14   #710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
I was again told during service to follow the normal diesel route that I have been doing after almost 7 months of turbojet initially and so is the advice from a friend working for TML.
Can you ask your friend the reason for this advise ??, or is it a generic perception.
Old 31st March 2009, 13:06   #711
BHPian

@Dadu
Hello there! Brother, I feel I have this 'krr-krr' noise issue with my 2.2Vtt too. However, this is very pronounced when vehicle is idle and only appears to have reduced considerably in the 4th gear. In fact, it is very similar to the 'tappet sound' of my Sierra - once my mechanic had 'tuned' my Sierra in such a manner that it had a very harsh 'tappet' sound. He said that he had 'advanced' the engine to get a good mileage. I asked him to go easy on mileage and reduce the sound and then he was able to do as instructed. This sound from my Safari is almost the same.
First, is it the same 'krr' sound that has been discussed on this thread earlier?
Will it subside with time because my Safari has only done 380 kms till date?
Lastly, please suggest that does adding a very small quantity of engine oil to a tankful of diesel (as advised by my mechanic for my Sierra) help in keeping the engine smooth in a Dicor Dafari as well?
(If this 'krr' sound dies down, my Safari's engine noise will be smooth man...alongwith the turbo whistle, it drives you MAD...)
Old 31st March 2009, 13:53   #712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asejwal View Post
@Dadu
Hello there! Brother, I feel I have this 'krr-krr' noise issue with my 2.2Vtt too. However, this is very pronounced when vehicle is idle and only appears to have reduced considerably in the 4th gear. In fact, it is very similar to the 'tappet sound' of my Sierra - once my mechanic had 'tuned' my Sierra in such a manner that it had a very harsh 'tappet' sound. He said that he had 'advanced' the engine to get a good mileage. I asked him to go easy on mileage and reduce the sound and then he was able to do as instructed. This sound from my Safari is almost the same.
First, is it the same 'krr' sound that has been discussed on this thread earlier?
Will it subside with time because my Safari has only done 380 kms till date?
Lastly, please suggest that does adding a very small quantity of engine oil to a tankful of diesel (as advised by my mechanic for my Sierra) help in keeping the engine smooth in a Dicor Dafari as well?
(If this 'krr' sound dies down, my Safari's engine noise will be smooth man...alongwith the turbo whistle, it drives you MAD...)
It seems to be something different to what was discussed here as the "Krr" noise does not come under idling.

Dont put any engine oil etc, use an additive like system D but that too after running for around 1-2k.

Since your is a new safari, get the noise checked at T.A.S.S at your first service/checkup (1500km/ 1month)
Old 31st March 2009, 17:02   #713
BHPian

Unlike a Sierra, Safari 2.2 has hydraulic tappets. I was informed by TASS that these (tappets) cannot be adjusted. Yes , I have a very (please note the VERY) small tappet noise right from the beginning. I only way I can get to the root of the noise is by opening the tappet cover and this I am not going to do so on a new vehicle.

So I live with it.
Old 1st April 2009, 03:03   #714
BHPian

hydraulic tappets are expected to be better. I used to adjust it in my bike... if you reduce the fuel flow to such minimum that the engine just remains alive, then the sound is more, and this enhances efficiency, reduces idle speed, and kills the engine faster... boy, one should not put the engine on diet control.
Earlier model used to have tepet as a spring fitted pin... hydraulic stuff are expeted to be smoother, you could try asking for a adjustment of idle fuel intake tuning, if you wish. Is the rpm showing the normal one or is it slightly less than expected?
Old 1st April 2009, 17:15   #715
BHPian

all sounds will settle with more usage of the vehicle. My 2.2 purrs like a cat now.
Old 1st April 2009, 21:01   #716
BHPian

Just wondering, how many kms one should have on the odo to have a 2.2 VTT settled in or run in? Not asking about TML specification but from the experience of people owning it?
Old 2nd April 2009, 08:24   #717
Senior - BHPian

I drove mine for 900 kms, then got an oil change.
After which I took it on a 1000 kms highway trip during which for the 1st 500kms I kept my speeds to a max of 70-80 kms, not crossing 2k on the RPM. Thereafter it was normal driving.
Old 2nd April 2009, 18:51   #718
BHPian

With that last post.. I became a proud BHPian.. hurray!

Thanks for the info Harjeev, as it looks, I am still bent on the beast... but the recession is not a right time really to spend a fortune... so I shall mostly hold on for now.

Back to the topic, I have another query... how much problem does one face to operate the CD player, as it disturbingly placed near the gearshift? From ADC's posts, I really do not want to take my eyes off the road for the sake of changing CDs/shifting between controls. I shall need to check it myself while I take the test drive, but what do you guys think?
Old 2nd April 2009, 19:07   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyamtanu View Post
With that last post.. I became a proud BHPian.. hurray!

Thanks for the info Harjeev, as it looks, I am still bent on the beast... but the recession is not a right time really to spend a fortune... so I shall mostly hold on for now.

Back to the topic, I have another query... how much problem does one face to operate the CD player, as it disturbingly placed near the gearshift? From ADC's posts, I really do not want to take my eyes off the road for the sake of changing CDs/shifting between controls. I shall need to check it myself while I take the test drive, but what do you guys think?
It is tought to operate the head unit especially in gear 1,3 n 5 for obvious reasons. Dont buy a unit with a fancy display cause trust me, unless u're 4 feet tall there is no way you can search for tracks by looking at the song name on the display. The thing is just too low on the dash.
Also be careful while buying units with pendrive support cause i've broken one borrowed pendrive when the 5th gear shift banging straight into the drive. Since then i've shifted to really micro sized pen drives.
best solution is to go for a remote on the steering. I'll just go the parking and click a picture for u. wait.
Ya done that. The remote on the steering is the best option fr sure.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-p1060109.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-p1060110.jpg  

Old 2nd April 2009, 19:44   #720
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyamtanu View Post
From ADC's posts, I really do not want to take my eyes off the road for the sake of changing CDs/shifting between controls. I shall need to check it myself while I take the test drive, but what do you guys think?
Look what that situation was and what you are trying to generalize is completely different - I was using the handheld remote of the Pioneer in the dark and other factors were there. For the actual generalization, Abhiknov has described it reasonably well.

Whats the solution - get a remote on the steering or like I did now for this overnight Kol-Gangtok journey today, dont use a remote, just press directly on to the knob and play whatever it plays!!

Last edited by adc : 2nd April 2009 at 19:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks