Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 18:19   #661
BHPian

Tyre Probe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit26 View Post
Since last week occasionally i feel that vehicle is flying on road,even on smooth black road sometimes i feel that safari is diagonally going up & down from driver's seat to fuel tank position. Recently i got one puncture in right rear tyre & after that i topped up air in all the tyres..I feel my tyres are over-inflated but presently i dn't have reliable method nearby to verify air pressure.Next month will surely buy pressure guage,obd-ll cable,foot-pump,etc.. as list will increase..
Is this tyre pressure or something else...
Came across a neat utility called "Tyre Probe" in one of my colleagues Laura .It has one sensor in each wheel and a LCD in the cabin & shows accurate Tyre pressure, Overpressure/LowPressure warning etc.

Look at TYREPROBE

Cheers
Old 21st March 2009, 09:22   #662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshmenon View Post
Came across a neat utility called "Tyre Probe" in one of my colleagues Laura .It has one sensor in each wheel and a LCD in the cabin & shows accurate Tyre pressure, Overpressure/LowPressure warning etc.

Look at TYREPROBE

Cheers
it known as the TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System).

mahindra calls it tyretronics!!!
Old 22nd March 2009, 15:30   #663
Senior - BHPian

Fuel in all TATA Dicor engines

I was at a party last night where I was talking to a friend who owns a fairly large independant garage here in Hyd. He services and repairs the entire line of tata vehicles apart from being a modifier of cars.

The discussion veered around to the Safari Dicor, and he told me that a primary cause of problems with all Dicor engines, whether Safari, Indica or indigo, is quality of diesel. Apparantly, this engine is VERY sensitive to fuel quality (this is true for both the 2.2 and the 3.0 Safari engines).

Adultrated diesel is the single largest cause of FIP failure and cmmon rail problems in Safaris and he has recommended getting the diesel filter changed in every service.

My truck is due for its third service next week and will be getting the fuel filter changed.

Just thought of sharing.
Old 22nd March 2009, 15:33   #664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
... Apparantly, this engine is VERY sensitive to fuel quality (this is true for both the 2.2 and the 3.0 Safari engines).
My truck is due for its third service next week and will be getting the fuel filter changed...
First thing: If fuel is indeed the cause, then why isnt TATA fixing it? Don't they know the quality of fuel we get here or what???

Second: Thanks for sharing your friends recommendation. But how much does this fuel filter cost?
Old 22nd March 2009, 15:40   #665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
First thing: If fuel is indeed the cause, then why isnt TATA fixing it? Don't they know the quality of fuel we get here or what???

Second: Thanks for sharing your friends recommendation. But how much does this fuel filter cost?

Ah! I did not want to post that here even though we did discuss it. Apparently, this is a problem that is known to Tata and also to M&M. As per a third person who was part of the conversation and has a professional background in diesel engines and automobiles but is not associated with either TML or M&M , M&M has used a fuel filter design in its CRDE engine and in the M-Hawk that is far more successful in dealing with particulate matter in diesel, whereas TML is still using the same filter that they used in TCIC engines.(though i will confirm this with my friend at the ERC). Common rail diesels are more prone to affects of adultrated fuel than Di or TCIC IDI engines. in fact that is one of the reasons why TML discourages the use of "premium diesels" since the additives clog the fuel fileter over time and also have adverse effects on the FIP.

Caveat: this is second hand info that I have recieved at the party, and is NOT my view or opinion and in no way can I confirm the veracity of this statement just yet (though I will get to the bottom of this), so please dont flame me

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 22nd March 2009 at 15:43.
Old 22nd March 2009, 15:41   #666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... and he told me that a primary cause of problems with all Dicor engines, whether Safari, Indica or indigo, is quality of diesel. Apparantly, this engine is VERY sensitive to fuel quality (this is true for both the 2.2 and the 3.0 Safari engines).

Just thought of sharing.
Himanshu, thanks for sharing this 'inside' info!

Does this help in any way whatsoever in absolving Tata of the blame?
It's not as though they do not know where they are and what they are selling!
Old 22nd March 2009, 15:44   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Himanshu, thanks for sharing this 'inside' info!

Does this help in any way whatsoever in absolving Tata of the blame?
It's not as though they do not know where they are and what they are selling!

Anup, i think your question is answered in my subsequent post . Also there is no question of apportioning or absolving anyone of blame here. Just a statement offact that I learnt. yes, it is a no brainer that if this is a correct statement, then TML needs to have done something about it yesterday.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 22nd March 2009 at 15:55.
Old 22nd March 2009, 15:50   #668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... yes, it is a no brainer that if this is a correct statement, the TML needs to have done something about it yesterday.
I love the way you have put it! Yesterday, LOL!

Much like M&M should have learnt yesterday that a 4X4 NEEDS a rear window defogger!!

Last edited by anupmathur : 22nd March 2009 at 15:53.
Old 22nd March 2009, 15:51   #669
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The discussion veered around to the Safari Dicor, and he told me that a primary cause of problems with all Dicor engines, whether Safari, Indica or indigo, is quality of diesel. Apparantly, this engine is VERY sensitive to fuel quality (this is true for both the 2.2 and the 3.0 Safari engines).

Adultrated diesel is the single largest cause of FIP failure and cmmon rail problems in Safaris and he has recommended getting the diesel filter changed in every service.
Yes absolutely very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
2. Good diesel as the common rail is sensitive to diesel quality - in all the places roamed, fuel whether normal, if premium is not available, I rely on the IndianOil brand almost all times.

3. Never run out of fuel so that you have to pump manually, as the fuel pump gets damaged - though he told not a problem as there is warranty!!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1193576

Quote:
For both may be the 2.2 engine will be more senstive, both manufacterers are pushed to develop the 2.2 due to pollution norms from 2010 though suspect diesel still remains commonly available - I absolutely use premium diesel in travel when away from the trusted pump, as much as possible of IOC, just for the peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
2.2 Dicor engine is quite sensitive to impurities in diesel. Default check the sedimenter whenever one goes to a TASS

One extreme example was last year 2008, Jan 26, at Satkosia Forest, Orissa, where being the Republic Day all fuel pumps were closed - filled up diesel from a local drum guy at Angul - he told me to totally believe him as he personally takes it out from a tanker and has no kerosene or unknown impurities mixed. This after I warned him that if anything happens, I am gonna come back along with service light glowing and ram the VTT into his shop.

Last edited by adc : 22nd March 2009 at 16:02.
Old 22nd March 2009, 16:09   #670
Senior - BHPian

Wasn't there few 2.2 owners who said that using premium fuel caused some sound, the 'Grrr Grrr' ( ) from the engine and this went off when normal diesel was used?
Old 22nd March 2009, 16:21   #671
Distinguished - BHPian

Just out of curiosity why does the Innova's Common Rail Engine doesn't have similar issues as the Dicor or the Scorpio CRD for that matter?
Old 22nd March 2009, 16:29   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict
Just out of curiosity why does the Innova's Common Rail Engine doesn't have similar issues as the Dicor or the Scorpio CRD for that matter?
Severely detuned.
I think its 105bhp from 2.5L CRD engine.
Can someone confirm this - The Innova doesn't have an intercooler.
Old 22nd March 2009, 16:50   #673
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
TML discourages the use of "premium diesels" since the additives clog the fuel fileter over time and also have adverse effects on the FIP.
Quote:
Wasn't there few 2.2 owners who said that using premium fuel caused some sound, the 'Grrr Grrr' ( ) from the engine and this went off when normal diesel was used?
I had been using premium fuel from the beginning itself, no Grrr Grrr sound, and occassionally normal diesell where premium was not available, however, the last time I was in TASS, they said a circular has come out like all VTT to be filled with Normal Diesel - even Normal diesel with additive [STP or System D] to be avoided.

But still if outside will be filling up premium diesel as highway normal diesel still does not at all inspire confidence.

Last edited by adc : 22nd March 2009 at 16:55.
Old 22nd March 2009, 19:07   #674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
... The Innova doesn't have an intercooler.
The turbo-diesel should. Air temperature in the intake manifold will be too high otherwise (air density will be lower) leading to less power output.

The intercooler is not necessary if the engine is naturally aspirated.
Old 22nd March 2009, 19:39   #675
sun
BHPian

Quote:
But how much does this fuel filter cost?
I got mine changed last week for the 15000 service. The cost is
Fuel Filter Assy (Delphi) 2161.00

Quote:
.... whereas TML is still using the same filter that they used in TCIC engines.(though i will confirm this with my friend at the ERC).
I would disagree with that, I was said at the A.S.S that all the Dicor engines use the Delphi filter costing 2161.00 where as the TDI's use a cheaper filter (around Rs 300.00 only)

So they are using different filters for the 2.2 VTT's

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks