Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2009, 18:31   #616
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys
The service light issue cropped up in my Safari too.

I went to the workshop and they drained the sedimenter (there was a lot of water) and then plugged the laptop, there were three error codes
the 1st was Water in the sedimenter and the other two was something to do with water in the fuel lines.
The service advisor said that this should not crop again. Tomorrow morning I have to go on a long trip and will try replicating the speeds again and see if the issue is resolved.

The light only came if I accelerate in 4th or 5th gear to speeds between 80-100 km/hr and then leave the accelerator and let bit come down.
Old 12th March 2009, 20:34   #617
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I went to the workshop and they drained the sedimenter (there was a lot of water) and then plugged the laptop, there were three error codes the 1st was Water in the sedimenter and the other two was something to do with water in the fuel lines.
2.2 Dicor engine is quite sensitive to impurities in diesel. Do check in between time to time the sedimenter before it becomes full and water goes into the fuel lines. I am keeping a check on the sedimenter on a monthly average, particularly if filled outside your normal trusted pump.

Last edited by adc : 12th March 2009 at 20:37.
Old 13th March 2009, 18:59   #618
Senior - BHPian

Guys not able to put in my inputs from my The King - Tata Safari 2.2 VTT as i am not able to ride it due to my Job posting in Singapore, in my ownership of my King i would have driven it only for 3-4months.

Feel bad when i see that in this thread i am not able to contribute in both ways +ve or -ve(i hope -ve never happens).

I guess this is the only Safari thread i am not active .

Last edited by gowda79 : 13th March 2009 at 19:02.
Old 13th March 2009, 22:37   #619
Senior - BHPian

The service light issue still remains inspite of draining the sedimenter yesterday.

I guess I will have to visit the workshop again!!!
Old 14th March 2009, 05:47   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
2.2 Dicor engine is quite sensitive to impurities in diesel. Do check in between time to time the sedimenter before it becomes full and water goes into the fuel lines. I am keeping a check on the sedimenter on a monthly average, particularly if filled outside your normal trusted pump.
In last 3.5 yrs i have never gone for my sedimenter check,nether do my sedimenter light crop up.
Nowadays i am also trying to recreate all 2.2 dicor engine light crop up problem but my 3.0 is away from these.
Old 15th March 2009, 09:45   #621
v&v
Senior - BHPian

i get floor vibration and a typical resonance noise of body or differential drive in city drive. its more persistant while shifting gear from 2 to 3, prominant when sitting in the middle /rear seats. this occurs when rpm is around 2000 or less mark. i have experianced it more in city drives.

One more thing driver and front seaters does not feel this noise.
Is this normal ?
what is the ideal gear shift rpms 2 to 3rd and 3rd to 4th.
Old 15th March 2009, 12:00   #622
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit26 View Post
In last 3.5 yrs i have never gone for my sedimenter check,nether do my sedimenter light crop up.
Nowadays i am also trying to recreate all 2.2 dicor engine light crop up problem but my 3.0 is away from these.

Other than my perceived notion of 2.2 crde being more sensitive to fuel quality, I do check as due to the journeys I fill diesel quite often at unknown pumps.

One extreme example was last year 2008, Jan 26, at Satkosia Forest, Orissa, where being the Republic Day all fuel pumps were closed - filled up diesel from a local drum guy at Angul - he told me to totally believe him as he personally takes it out from a tanker and has no kerosene or unknown impurities mixed. This after I warned him that if anything happens, I am gonna come back along with service light glowing and ram the VTT into his shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Around 2k but now for that extra power surge I am shifting at 2.5 k or even 3k.

Last edited by adc : 15th March 2009 at 12:06.
Old 15th March 2009, 17:29   #623
BHPian

I always used to have diesel from Reliance petrol pumps till they were closed last year.I have also tried essar also.I felt that essar was above all in quality.
Old 15th March 2009, 18:39   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit26 View Post
Same here, more then two years never even think of sedimenter thing.

i think you should send a mail to Delphi, who i think makes the common rail system for safari.
Old 16th March 2009, 09:26   #625
BHPian

Can someone please sum up and list down the experiments to attempt that end up in bringing up the service light in the 2.2.

If i understand correctly the one sure shot way to see if your vehicle has this issue is to go up to 80+ in 5th gear and suddenly let go of the accelerator with the vehicle still in 5th gear. Is this correct? Also what are the other tests to stress this issue and to see if your vehicle has any related issues?
Old 16th March 2009, 09:29   #626
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

If there is a sedimentor and it fills up due to water / dirt and then if service light crops up what that should be considered a problem ? I see it as a solution to potential problems with fuel lines / injector and engine in general
if this muck goes in.

One Q do all Common rail engines have this equipment ?

Regards
Amit
Old 16th March 2009, 10:28   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
Can someone please sum up and list down the experiments to attempt that end up in bringing up the service light in the 2.2.

If i understand correctly the one sure shot way to see if your vehicle has this issue is to go up to 80+ in 5th gear and suddenly let go of the accelerator with the vehicle still in 5th gear. Is this correct? Also what are the other tests to stress this issue and to see if your vehicle has any related issues?
Nope. Dont just confirm an issue with that test.

I have has service light when I was driving in economyy mode for 2-3 days. It was taken careful after I accelerated till red-line for sometime; had lot of black smoke for sometime.

And twice when I for service light, it was diagnosed to rail issue based on error code. Also, the same issue when I didnt have 'turbo' working. I couldnt recreate the issue after that. I intend to meet someone at Tata who knows what is happening if the issue crops up next time. 31,000 and happy.
Old 16th March 2009, 10:58   #628
Team-BHP Support

service light due to injector issue etc., never caused me any power loss etc., The car was running fine.
and my recent breakdown has absolutely no relation to the common rail issue, it was due to some rubber pipe getting blocked.
Old 16th March 2009, 12:02   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Nope. Dont just confirm an issue with that test.

I have has service light when I was driving in economyy mode for 2-3 days. It was taken careful after I accelerated till red-line for sometime; had lot of black smoke for sometime.

And twice when I for service light, it was diagnosed to rail issue based on error code. Also, the same issue when I didnt have 'turbo' working. I couldnt recreate the issue after that. I intend to meet someone at Tata who knows what is happening if the issue crops up next time. 31,000 and happy.
I am not following all the threads closely and hence am not on top of the known issues and mitigations. None the less, i have not faced any power loss or service light related issues so far or for that matter any other serious issues. I will not try and unearth any hidden issues and hope the vehicle keeps doing fine .
Old 16th March 2009, 18:25   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
i get floor vibration and a typical resonance noise of body or differential drive in city drive. its more persistant while shifting gear from 2 to 3, prominant when sitting in the middle /rear seats. this occurs when rpm is around 2000 or less mark. i have experianced it more in city drives.

One more thing driver and front seaters does not feel this noise.
Is this normal ?

i have exactly the same issue in my 2.2. The booming vibration occurs mostly in city driving around 1800-2000 rpm. I generally downshift and it gos off. but its slightly irritating to downshift just because of this booming sound.

Is this only with two vehicles on this thread or do other have it also? Can anyone throw some light on this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks