Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2016, 22:16   #6271
Team-BHP Support

Okay. Problem solved. Vacuum accumulator had a puncture. Got it welded. Performance is also better. 2.2 accumulator position in safari is very odd and prone to underbody hits
Old 28th August 2016, 01:52   #6272
BHPian

Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Hello All,

I am back with queries .

Background of vehicle:

Safari 2.2, 2009 LX, done 85000 kms now, in good condition, no major problems so far.
Serviced regularly as per manual at same TASS from where it was purchased.
Driven only by me sedately, no red-lining type hard driving.

Besides service, so far only following major parts have been replaced:
1. Water pump assembly (as it went kaput and) around 77-78k kms,
2. Brake pads(twice at 28k and 66k kms).
3. Tyres at 68k kms.
4. Battery after 5 yrs.
5. Some shim adjustment in camper for reducing uneven tyre wear-tear.
6. Wiper blades and Front doors glass pulling machines.

I got timing belt checked when water pump work was done, mechanics told its perfectly okay...no worries till scheduled change time!

Problem 1. I faced problems in climbing up hills in Himachal during our family trip in June 2016. The pick up was dying out. To much downshifting was required, many instances have to engaged 1st gear which looked like good for 2nd. In short, it was clear, vehicle was finding it too difficult to climb.

....Felt similar thing during January 2016 trip to Auli, UK too...and it struggled even between Bhimtal to Bhowali stretch. But, I remember, facing no problem in my drives to Chamba and Dalhauji in 2011-12 with this car ..at that time it was around 30-32K driven.

Otherwise, vehicle is running fine, no loss of power or smoke, etc..No.

Someone told me that Safari fuel injection needs some tuning for driving up the hills!!.. is it true. I have no idea. So Gurus, pl guide.

Problem 2.
Clutch, has become very hard, it was hard since beginning.Though no problems in gear shifting. Will this hard clutch be affecting engine pic-up too?
Query 3: As the vehicle approaches 90k kms mark, should timing belt be replaced without waiting for that 1 lakh kms thingy that manual says!!
I know, clutch replacement is round the corner!!..or should I wait for some time more for clutch replacement?

Query 4: Of late, coolent from reservoir is getting reduced at a faster rate than earlier! Though no leakage found anywhere. Anything to worry about?.. Though engine oil level is ok.

Query 5: Radiator exhaust fan noise has increased noticeably in last 2-3 months and it runs longer than earlier after switching off engine, even after a short drive of 3-4 kms also. There is clear difference on both these counts.

(I must mention that I always follow engine idling rule for 2-3 mins on morning start and 1-2 mins during day also whenever I start...never start moving immediately after starting engine. Though engine is running smoothly and pic-up etc is superb.).

Your valuable opinion please..
BTW, today is her birthday ..completed 7 years, and we have had happy times with her.
Thanks
Hi Longdrive!

1 &2. Problems 1 & 2 could be solved by a clutch overhaul. Specifically, the hard clutch and if the car rumbles when coasting at high speed by taking your foot off the accelerator then it could be a failing pressure plate.

3. Yes, please change timing belt on schedule as part of preventive maintenance.

4. Check the area around water pump. If there are any greenish-white splash marks then there is a leak in the pump and would require replacement. Also have your mechanic check whether pressure is being maintained in radiator. It can develop tiny leaks which don't show visible leakage.

5. The fan running more than normal could be because of leakage discussed in point 4 as in that case the coolant won't be pressurised leading to decrease in its efficacy and consequent increase in cooling down time.

I hope the above helps you. All the best for many more kms of enjoyment with this amazing vehicle!
param22k is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 11:44   #6273
BHPian

Hello Tbhpians.

I drive a 2.2 Dicor 2007 make with 90600 on the odo. I found Coolant leaking under the vehicle after a very short drive. Took the vehicle to TASS Kochi (Concorde Motors). The service advisor called me saying that the water pump requires to be replaced including the timing belt and idler tensioner. He has given an approximate quote of INR 16000 as of now. He said that the coolant hoses are good as of now.
The worst part is they do not have spares now and asking for atleast a week's time and is the minimum according to him. It might increase depending upon the availability of spares. Apparently there is another TASS in Kochi but they also do not have timing belt and idler tensioner in their spares. One week is really long.

Does any one have any past experience with this TASS? Hope the reputation is okay.

Any other steps which I can take as of now by which I can put some force on them?

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-1472451193907.jpg
Old 29th August 2016, 17:59   #6274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
Hi Longdrive!

1 &2. Problems 1 & 2 could be solved by a clutch overhaul. Specifically, the hard clutch and if the car rumbles when coasting at high speed by taking your foot off the accelerator then it could be a failing pressure plate.

3. Yes, please change timing belt on schedule as part of preventive maintenance.

4. Check the area around water pump. If there are any greenish-white splash marks then there is a leak in the pump and would require replacement. Also have your mechanic check whether pressure is being maintained in radiator. It can develop tiny leaks which don't show visible leakage.

5. The fan running more than normal could be because of leakage discussed in point 4 as in that case the coolant won't be pressurised leading to decrease in its efficacy and consequent increase in cooling down time.

I hope the above helps you. All the best for many more kms of enjoyment with this amazing vehicle!
Thanks param.
Yes, Clutch plate overhaul is surly required. No car doesn't wobble at high speeds by taking foot off the accelerator.

Yes, will ask to check for point 4 & 5. Visible coolant leakage is not there, water pump has been replaced at 77K kms. But, yes, pressure in radiator need to be checked.

thanks again.
LongDrive lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 14:51   #6275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani0404 View Post
Hello Tbhpians.

I drive a 2.2 Dicor 2007 make with 90600 on the odo. I found Coolant leaking under the vehicle after a very short drive. Took the vehicle to TASS Kochi (Concorde Motors). The service advisor called me saying that the water pump requires to be replaced including the timing belt and idler tensioner. He has given an approximate quote of INR 16000 as of now. He said that the coolant hoses are good as of now.
The worst part is they do not have spares now and asking for atleast a week's time and is the minimum according to him. It might increase depending upon the availability of spares. Apparently there is another TASS in Kochi but they also do not have timing belt and idler tensioner in their spares. One week is really long.

Does any one have any past experience with this TASS? Hope the reputation is okay.

Any other steps which I can take as of now by which I can put some force on them?

Attachment 1548232
Timing belt and water pump are general spares which should be in stock with most TASS in big cities. They are also easily available in the spares market. You should call TM customer care and file a complaint. They'll have your issue sorted on a priority.
Old 3rd September 2016, 19:05   #6276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
So this is it. After riding my beast for close to 2 years, I have the first problem knocking at my door.

Somewhere in early January, while starting the beast in the morning the battery simply turned out a lazy maniac like my Tennis coach. Initially I though it to be because of the cold and it still possibly could be the reason. It took around 10-12 revs for the engine to come to life. Then I thought; hell it can't be because of cold alone. Even in places like Leh, it hardly took beyond 6 cranks to start.

Unfortunately the problem reappeared the next day. To my horror and I don't even want to wish that way, but the battery seems to have drained out for all good money. Once the car starts, it never gives any starting trouble through the day.

Please do advice. Do I need to drag the beast to nearest TAAS and got it checked for the entire starting mechanism or call it a day and buy a new battery?
I guess I'm replying to extremely old post, I have had this issue with my truck, The battery drains in a week in spite of getting it fully charged, got it charged at tata green battery outlet and not at local shops . The issue was with alternator bearing and some part inside the alternator wasn't working , the alternator was not getting charged , so had to replace the bearing.
I got it done at local wiring harness center.

2nd scenario : I was in a road trip and all of a sudden the rpm meter stops working , this is also a clear sign of alternator not getting charged . Got it replaced at Kolapur highway T.A.S.S. for 4k.

After these 2 incidents I have got a multimeter and i do the pre checks myself before any long road trips.

Cheers
Josh

Last edited by joshuakeys : 3rd September 2016 at 19:11.
Old 3rd September 2016, 19:33   #6277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Hello All,
Problem 1. I faced problems in climbing up hills in Himachal during our family trip in June 2016. The pick up was dying out. To much downshifting was required, many instances have to engaged 1st gear which looked like good for 2nd. In short, it was clear, vehicle was finding it too difficult to climb.
Problem 2. [/b]Clutch, has become very hard, it was hard since beginning.Though no problems in gear shifting. Will this hard clutch be affecting engine pic-up too?
....Thanks
Hi long drive lover,

Here is my suggestions or inputs on your problems. Hope it's helps

The pickup of any diesle vehicle dies drastically in extreme temperature's , so nothing to worry about the performance of the truck, having said so, in problem 2 you have mentioned that clutch has gone hard and it's getting worn-out which will also kill the pickup , clutch getting harder is common in any safari which has run beyond 80k, which means it's time to replace the clutch kit.
You can still manage it if the pickup is not dropped and is normal during the regular routine drives.

About the timing belt it's always better to get it changed between 80k and 90k though the Manuel says between 1lac and 1.2lac kms . I got it mine done at 80k kms though the timing belt was in manageable condition.

About the radiator fan running for longer duration, check for the radiator coolent levels , if it's low top it up with good brand. This will solve the fan issue.

Cheers

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Last edited by SDP : 5th September 2016 at 11:17. Reason: Snipping quoted post
joshuakeys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 23:48   #6278
BHPian

Started my Safari after a gap of one month. Luckily Battery is still good after six years. But a surprise was waiting for me.Wipers found not operating and no water coming out of nozzles. Tried to move wipers manually. Were too hard to move. Tried lubricating the links , didn't help. Used rust remover spray, also was not helpful.
Finally removed the entire assembly. Fortunately motor was okey. The alluminium shafts on which wipers are mounted were found seized. Took them to kitchen. Heated up on the flame with plenty rust remover spray between contacting surfaces. After heat treatment , messed up kitchen table , and angry wife, managed to loosen up the siezed parts. Assembled and tested. viola... Now buttersmooth operation.
Also renewed the holed tube suplying water to the nozzles, apparently rodent's work. Now seems okey.
indigo74 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 11:51   #6279
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Tbhpians.

Attachment 1548232
Update on the defect:-

The water pump, timing belt, timing belt cover, idler, tensioner replaced. Coolant filled. Entire expenses came up to 16800 including labour charges and tax. The TASS concorde, Kochi successfully managed spares in 3 days and rectified.

Yesterday did a Kochi - Idukki - Kochi trip and the vehicle is great.

I have a query guys. While shifting the gear from first to second, the gear occasionally will be hard to shift midway and sometimes gives a pretty hard sound and jerk movement to my hand (My heart skips a beat when that happens). Rest of the time it will be butter smooth. Is this normal? The gear also does not engage into reverse from neutral at times. In that case, I slot it into first then give a very small forward movement and then stop the vehicle to slot it into reverse which will be pretty smooth. Is this a sign to any arising defect related to any machinery?
The clutch was replaced just 6000km back.
Ani0404 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 15:20   #6280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuakeys View Post
The pickup of any diesle vehicle dies drastically in extreme temperature's , so nothing to worry about the performance of the truck, clutch getting harder is common in any safari which has run beyond 80k, which means it's time to replace the clutch kit.
You can still manage it if the pickup is not dropped and is normal during the regular routine drives.

About the timing belt it's always better to get it changed between 80k and 90k though the Manuel says between 1lac and 1.2lac kms . I got it mine done at 80k kms though the timing belt was in manageable condition.
Thanks Josh.

Actually, problem in my safari at hill climb was not related to extreme temperature as it was happening even where temperature was as warm as in plains!! So this might be due to hard clutch only!. Though I am having no problem of loss of pick up in normal driving here in plains. But yes, clutch kit replacement is due and I'll get it done soon.

I too agree with your advise on timing belt change.

Now a query to all.

How much full clutch kit overhaul and timing belt change (not the water pump as it was changed earlier due) costs at TASS?

Here at Lucknow all TASS are quoting as follows:

14.5 - 15 k for clutch work (including Rs. 3500 labour charges)!
15k for Timing belt replacement (including labour charges)!

I inquired at a pvt. garage too which says he brings OEM tata spares from tata depot here. He too quoted same price for clutch work.Are these charges almost similar across TASS (off course their may be some difference on rates of spare parts across states due to changes in taxes).

Pl. share your views.

Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 15:26   #6281
BHPian

Quote:
Update on the defect:-
I have a query guys. While shifting the gear from first to second, the gear occasionally will be hard to shift midway and sometimes gives a pretty hard sound and jerk movement to my hand (My heart skips a beat when that happens). Rest of the time it will be butter smooth. Is this normal? The gear also does not engage into reverse from neutral at times.
Ani,

Problems in gear shifting in lower gears (1-2) and reverse gear does happen at times to me too but not to the tune of creating any discomfort or sound. It looks quite normal in my case, but not sure about yours one.
Old 7th September 2016, 20:34   #6282
BHPian

How much full clutch kit overhaul and timing belt change (not the water pump as it was changed earlier due) costs at TASS?

15k for Timing belt replacement (including labour charges)[b]![/quote]

Yes I also spent similar price for clutch overhaul but the quote for timing belt change+water pump+ idler and tensioner with entire coolant costed me 16k approx. But TASS over all has computerised billing if I am not wrong. So please check what all is the service centre promising to replace in the timing belt change package.
Old 26th September 2016, 23:13   #6283
BHPian

[quote=LongDrive lover;4051803]Thanks Josh.

Actually, problem in my safari at hill climb was not related to extreme temperature .. So this might be due to hard clutch only!. Though I am having no problem of loss of pick up in normal driving here in plains. But yes, clutch kit replacement is due and I'll get it done soon.

I too agree with your advise on timing belt change.

Now a query to all.

Here at Lucknow all TASS are quoting as follows:

15k for Timing belt replacement (including labour charges)[b]

Updates:

Finally today gave Safari for clutch overhaul. Got it back in evening.

1. Really as someone said earlier in this thread, clutch is now as sift as of M 800:. Butter smooth. I think even when new, it was not as smooth! Now I feel, I should have got it done it at least 1 yr or 10k kms earlier!. Was putting lot of strain on knee.

2. Pic up too has increased tremendously and even the engine sound and feel is so much smoother now. I m sure next time its going to be an easy drive up the hills .

3. I asked them to check timing belt condition and pressure in radiator too. They told everything is ok. But Service manager suggested it's better to change timing belt before the stipulated run (1 lakh kms). I too agree with this advise. It's 85550 kms done now for me. I am planning to change timing belt at 90k kms.

4. Final bill came 12663/- including labour and taxes.

Happy to see the 'Black Tgress' back in full form

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions.
Old 8th October 2016, 16:06   #6284
BHPian

Car threw following errors:-
P1254 ( rail pressure control error- positive); P0088 ( rail pressure error); P0193 (rail pressure error- High).

Any Suspects?

Was about to start for a 600km round trip from Kochi to Kodaikanal. Should I attempt?
Old 8th October 2016, 18:03   #6285
Senior - BHPian

Question on steering.
How many turns is it from centre to each side?
I had to get my steering gearbox overhauled and wanted to make sure the fitting is proper.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks