Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2016, 18:45   #6256
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
This was for a pair? In that case 2500/headlight is less than that for ORVM!
Old 12th August 2016, 20:20   #6257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
Hi,

This is what the feedback is,
1.Clutch Hard (Noise) - O/H - 14k
2. Timing Belt O/H - 16k
3. Front Suspension O/H - 28k
4. Front Both Struts

Also, Is there anything specific I should keep in mind while getting these things done?
I hope you have got these done by now, anyways sharing my experiences on fist two issues.

Mine is 2010 EX. I got these done separately. Clutch gave up at 63K and timing kit recently at 69k as the water pump gave up and started leaking coolant. Prices were nearly same as what you mentioned.
AS far a I know Front suspension overhaul should contain the front struts as well.

Do get your clutch repaired as you may end up having issues with your knee, same as I am having due to my ignorance.

Post the timing belt change, my car started emitting puff of black smoke more often than earlier at 15OO RPM. I did got my ECU refreshed, this problem had nearly disappeared now re-occurred worse than before. SO this should be taken care of. It is still existing as I am not able to get it fixed yet.

The labor charge for both Timing kit and Clutch replacement should be 25OO/ each and included. SO it might be actually paying 12.5K and 14K respectively for clutch and timing kit.

No experience of Suspension repair at this point, but looking for ball joint replacement by this month end along with fixing of black-smoke-puff issues. Additionally I have to get my "self/starter" checked as well.

These are my experiences and 2 Cents, Please do share your's as well. Experts advice always welcome.

Regards,
Saurabh

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 12th August 2016 at 20:28.
Old 20th August 2016, 01:06   #6258
BHPian

Need help with an issue I'm facing for a few weeks. The vehicle seems to not move freely, and it feels like the wheels are jamming off and on. Usually this is slightly noticeable when I take my foot off the accelerator and the vehicle is coasting. It seems to be coasting say 30% lesser than normal (difficult to put a number on it though). But on two occasions in the last week when I did long route highway drives, the next morning the vehicle was not moving easily at all and a few times the vehicle even shuddered badly when I moved it after coming to a stop in traffic. This felt like a complete jamming of the wheels which seemed to get worse when I turned the steering.

I've already made two visits to TASS. On first visit disc brake caliper pins were blamed. These were removed, cleaned and lubricated. On second visit, yesterday, brake sensor was blamed and "its setting was fixed" (I've no idea what that actually means). However, this doesn't seem to have worked and I can still feel a drag on the vehicle. To make matters worse for me, it is becoming difficult to convince TASS that there even a problem that requires attention.

Any help with the above would be appreciated, thanks! :-)

Model: 2009 VX 4x4
Odo: 2,06,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
I am getting 2 errors when reading the faults from the OBD reader.
  1. P1121
  2. P1223

The symptom i could notice was fluctuating RPM on idle. There is no other issue in driving/pickup/smoke. Can someone please help with the pointers.

Mine is nov 2007 safari 2.2 that has done aroune 1Lac km.
Hi Ankur

A search about these fault codes points to issues with the throttle sensor. This could be a reason for fluctuating RPM. If cleaning/changing the sensors doesn't fix the fluctuation, it could be because of blockage in fuel system (injectors or fuel pump). I would suggest using SystemD or equivalent in the next few tank fulls. This can clear minor blockages. Only after this fails should you think of getting the injectors serviced. Hope this helps, cheers!

Last edited by Aditya : 25th August 2016 at 12:02. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 22nd August 2016, 10:48   #6259
Team-BHP Support

Need some info. To check injector open or short u have to check resistance value. Anyboby know default resistance value of perfect injector
Old 22nd August 2016, 14:18   #6260
BHPian

Hello Tbhpians.

I drive a 2007 make Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 which has clocked 91000km. Ihave few queries:-
1. Can anyone tell me about the OBD port and where can I get an obd scanner. Also how to connect the scanner to the vehicle.?

2.The vehicle is running on initial timing kit which is due for replacement. Can it be However, Suspension repairs/replacements, engine mounts are being done from time to time. Is there anything major which has to be checked.
Old 22nd August 2016, 16:01   #6261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani0404 View Post
Hello Tbhpians.

I drive a 2007 make Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 which has clocked 91000km. Ihave few queries:-
1. Can anyone tell me about the OBD port and where can I get an obd scanner. Also how to connect the scanner to the vehicle.?

2.The vehicle is running on initial timing kit which is due for replacement. Can it be However, Suspension repairs/replacements, engine mounts are being done from time to time. Is there anything major which has to be checked.
You can get OBD scanners like ELM 327 from online sites like Amazon etc. You get 2 types : Wifi type is more expensive while the second type uses Bluetooth. Typically a BT type costs less than Rs.900/- now. I bought one for Rs.2000/- a few years ago.

You can connect the Scanner to the Port in the foot well. Pair your smartphone to the scanner and on firing up the app ( many free apps are available both in iOs and Android) you will be presented with screenful of information.

If you search in this thread, you will see the post where I have mentioned the timing belt replacement. It cost me about Rs.25k which included the timing belt, pulley, Water pump etc. I did that in Concorde which is more expensive compared to a FNG. Other things being equal, you change them every 4 years or every 95k km. Your manual should tell the interval. I quote this value from what I have been told in Concorde.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 06:17   #6262
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Tbhpians.

1. Obd port is under the front passenger side fit rest area. You can buy a bluetooth obd reader online. Avoid the blue mini readers, they are a pain to connect to. You can buy from aliexpress.

2. Just her the rubber timing belt changed from good local mechanic. Cost would be max 3k including labor. My advice is to leave pulley and water pump if they are working fine.
Old 23rd August 2016, 15:32   #6263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This was for a pair? In that case 2500/headlight is less than that for ORVM!
Yes. Was cheap and hence also changed fogs too
And about OVRM! you also need money to paint!
Old 24th August 2016, 17:19   #6264
BHPian

Hello All,

I am back with queries .

Background of vehicle:

Safari 2.2, 2009 LX, done 85000 kms now, in good condition, no major problems so far.
Serviced regularly as per manual at same TASS from where it was purchased.
Driven only by me sedately, no red-lining type hard driving.

Besides service, so far only following major parts have been replaced:
1. Water pump assembly (as it went kaput and) around 77-78k kms,
2. Brake pads(twice at 28k and 66k kms).
3. Tyres at 68k kms.
4. Battery after 5 yrs.
5. Some shim adjustment in camper for reducing uneven tyre wear-tear.
6. Wiper blades and Front doors glass pulling machines.

I got timing belt checked when water pump work was done, mechanics told its perfectly okay...no worries till scheduled change time!

Problem 1. I faced problems in climbing up hills in Himachal during our family trip in June 2016. The pick up was dying out. To much downshifting was required, many instances have to engaged 1st gear which looked like good for 2nd. In short, it was clear, vehicle was finding it too difficult to climb.

....Felt similar thing during January 2016 trip to Auli, UK too...and it struggled even between Bhimtal to Bhowali stretch. But, I remember, facing no problem in my drives to Chamba and Dalhauji in 2011-12 with this car ..at that time it was around 30-32K driven.

Otherwise, vehicle is running fine, no loss of power or smoke, etc..No.

Someone told me that Safari fuel injection needs some tuning for driving up the hills!!.. is it true. I have no idea. So Gurus, pl guide.

Problem 2.
Clutch, has become very hard, it was hard since beginning.Though no problems in gear shifting. Will this hard clutch be affecting engine pic-up too?
Query 3: As the vehicle approaches 90k kms mark, should timing belt be replaced without waiting for that 1 lakh kms thingy that manual says!!
I know, clutch replacement is round the corner!!..or should I wait for some time more for clutch replacement?

Query 4: Of late, coolent from reservoir is getting reduced at a faster rate than earlier! Though no leakage found anywhere. Anything to worry about?.. Though engine oil level is ok.

Query 5: Radiator exhaust fan noise has increased noticeably in last 2-3 months and it runs longer than earlier after switching off engine, even after a short drive of 3-4 kms also. There is clear difference on both these counts.

(I must mention that I always follow engine idling rule for 2-3 mins on morning start and 1-2 mins during day also whenever I start...never start moving immediately after starting engine. Though engine is running smoothly and pic-up etc is superb.).

Your valuable opinion please..
BTW, today is her birthday ..completed 7 years, and we have had happy times with her.
Thanks

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 24th August 2016 at 17:21.
Old 24th August 2016, 19:44   #6265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Hello All,

I am back with queries .

Your valuable opinion please..
BTW, today is her birthday ..completed 7 years, and we have had happy times with her.
Thanks
Congratulations for completing 7 years.

Problem 1: Please check your clutch assembly. I strongly feel it's worn out. I faced the same issue in the recent trip to Leh. Loss of pick up especially in inclined stretches.

Problem 2: Check clutch again.

Query 3: Guess u can get the timing belt condition checked and then can extend till 1 lakh km. Generally every mechanic suggests to change the timing belt and water pump assembly but in your case only the timing belt is required.

Query 4: Do u generally drive in cities and highways or mostly on hilly regions with extra load? The reason I am asking this is because my vehicle consumed more coolant during Leh trip due to excessive loads than normal. I kept adding coolant during the trip but now it's back to normal. If not then you need to wait for responses from other members as I am not aware of the reason for higher consumption.

Query 5: How much time does the engine take to reach the optimum running temperature ? My vehicle needs atleast a running of 5 km to slowly start heating up. So for short runs I never observed the radiator fan kicking in. Well my vehicle is a 2007 make 2.2 dicor. Well now your observations hint that both query 4 and query 5 are linked.
Ani0404 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 10:18   #6266
Team-BHP Support

I'm in leh guys. Car threw p0299 error. Boost control. Other problem is brake pedal. It gets hard and u have to press brakes without boost as if no oil. But brake oil is full. Any ideas?
Old 26th August 2016, 11:00   #6267
BHPian

Quote:
I'm in leh guys. Car threw p0299 error. Boost control
This indicates the engine did not develop the desired boost. Generally it is caused because of any of the below
1. clogged air filter
2. turbo hose leak
3. faulty boost pressure sensor
4. failed turbocharger

Since you are in Leh, lower atmospheric air pressure has aggreviated the symptoms. It is better to think of this problem once you are normal altitude.

Is the engine in limp-home ?
Old 26th August 2016, 11:18   #6268
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations for completing 7 years.

Problem 1: Please check your clutch assembly. I strongly feel it's worn out. I faced the same issue in the recent trip to Leh. Loss of pick up especially in inclined stretches.

Problem 2: Check clutch again.
Thanks Ani. Yes, I agree with your responses.

1 & 2. Yes, its clear, my clutch assembly needs change. SA has also said on previous service that your clutch has become hard and needs to change.

3. Yes, will get timing belt checked properly again and see when to replace it, depending upon the condition.

4 & 5. This change I am feeling after last service done before Himachal trip in June 2016.

No My routine drive is neither in hills (based in Lucknow) nor with heavy load in city. My office and home are very near (2 kms) and in open area.

Engine takes same about 5 kms running to reach optimum temperature. No problem in that too...only change I noticed is very louder sound of exhaust fan and it stays longer than earlier.

I think, after clutch assembly change, things may improve!!

Other experienced Safari owners, pl. if you can advise anything else here.
thanks.

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 26th August 2016 at 11:20. Reason: Corrected pucntuation
Old 26th August 2016, 11:32   #6269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It gets hard and u have to press brakes without boost as if no oil. But brake oil is full. Any ideas?
Booster failure? A bit of googling tells me it could be a faulty vacuum booster check valve.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...er-check-valve

Quote:
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Vacuum Brake Booster Check Valve?
Brake pedal feels spongy when pressed
Brake pedal is very hard to press
Brake pedal begins as easy to press then becomes very difficult
Please be careful with this problem in the hills. Have a safe drive back.
Old 26th August 2016, 14:29   #6270
BHPian

My TCIC Safari 2005 had similar issues (model 2005)
1. Hard clutch during morning
2. During uphill claimb, power loss

Since it had clocked 1.1 lakh kms, did not want to wait for clutch slip, failure etc hence got the below things changed.
1. Clutch pressure plates, release bearing, clutch cylinder.
Got them done outside TASS for Rs 12 K including Labour in Mysore.

Clutch is as smooth as maruti 800 clutch now.. & very noticeable change in power increase.
Ananth_shukti is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed