Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2016, 14:26   #6241
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
And yes, the mechanic did mentioned that it can be issue with "Bendex" & may require replacement.
This problem starts with intermittent signs and then get more severe. I still suggest you to get the starter opened and inspected/serviced.
For the time if you Bendix slips:
1) if possible put it in gear and push the vehicle forward and backward and then engage starter
2) Put vehicle in gear, dont press the clutch and engage starter and when starter actually cranks, press the clutch. Please make sure there is no vehicle in fronnt else you may end up banging another vehicle.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 20:15   #6242
BHPian

Bendix / Bendex - Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Get your starter checked as when Bendex (i dont know exact technical name) slips what you explained happens.
You may need to change Bendex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
The technical name is Bendix Drive https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bendix_drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
And yes, the mechanic did mentioned that it can be issue with "Bendex" & may require replacment.
Hi, the Bendix drive type starter is quite old & is different from the kind of starters in use today.
I'd like to think that a company with the technical chops of TATA wouldn't use such old technology in their flagship SUV.
In the Bendix drive, the starter pinion is really heavy & is on a helical cut ( kind of like a worm drive ) on the starter shaft.
When the starter motor is energized & the shaft spins, the inertia of the pinion delays its rotation a bit & the pinion slides along the helical shaft, hence moving forward or backward.
This movement of the pinion along the axis of the starter shaft causes it to engage with the ring gear on the flywheel.
Once the flywheel, i.e. the engine fires up, the pinion is pushed back to it's original position by a spring.
The problem with the Bendix drive is that the pinion is usually rotating before engagement with the ring gear, this can cause the pinion to basically bounce off the ring gear or cause damaged teeth.
Modern starters use a separate solenoid to bring the starter pinion into engagement with the ring gear before the starter motor is energized.
The solenoid is the cylindrical structure situated on top of the starter motor, Bendix starters do not have these.
Bendix starters are probably used these days in 2-wheelers & in small-engines.
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 09:16   #6243
BHPian

I am getting 2 errors when reading the faults from the OBD reader.
  1. P1121
  2. P1223

The symptom i could notice was fluctuating RPM on idle. There is no other issue in driving/pickup/smoke. Can someone please help with the pointers.

Mine is nov 2007 safari 2.2 that has done aroune 1Lac km.
Old 21st July 2016, 14:34   #6244
BHPian

Hi,

Mine is a 2012 Dicor LX and has run over 92K. I Took it for the Monsoon Camp and as expected I have been told to get the following things done:
This is what the feedback is,
1.Clutch Hard (Noise) - O/H - 14k
2. Timing Belt O/H - 16k
3. Front Suspension O/H - 28k
4. Front Both Struts

The BrakePads were replaced at 30K and it looks as if they are still good.

The last Service was done 6k kms earlier in March.
I am planning to get these done 1 job per month.
Can I get the Timing Belt & Clutch work done separately or should I get these done together?
Also, Is there anything specific I should keep in mind while getting these things done?
Old 21st July 2016, 14:41   #6245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
  1. P1121
  2. P1223

The symptom i could notice was fluctuating RPM on idle. There is no other issue in driving/pickup/smoke. Can someone please help with the pointers.

Ankur,

I had a similar erratic idling problem, ( dont remember the error codes ), which got resolved by getting the injectors serviced. Later I had to replace ONE injector due to some other problem.

I'm assuming the erratic idling is after warming up the engine ?

hope this helps.

Srinivas
Old 22nd July 2016, 14:47   #6246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
  1. P1121
  2. P1223

Both DTC codes are related to accelerator / throttle sensor , probably the accelerator sensor is dirty / worn out get it checked at T.A.S.S
Old 29th July 2016, 15:47   #6247
BHPian

Hello
A serious advice
I am getting P2150 error (group B injector circuit voltage low)
I went and shown to tass. My car has bern prone to rat attacks so much of my wiring is repaired
I have no transmission loss and car is fine
They checked everything even injectors and current seems fine
They informed me that the problem might be in the wiring harness where some wire must have been partially gnawed by rat but they were unable to locate it. They said only 2 options

1) one to open injector head and see (i had done engine work fewmonths back so this may be done FOC) but they say its unlikely as if injector had voltage issue car willnot run smooth

2) is to change that particular wiring harness but after inquiring it seems i have to buy entire wiring which is around 27000

I already have spent around 70k last few months doung engine overhaul due to rat menace. I am also looking to sell my two cars (safari and an old automatic hyndai santro) for a new automatic car as my wife only uses the car much and my safari sits idle as nowadays i travel out for work

My query

1) if i run the car on this error can i do long distance or its risky?
2) any compatible low cost harness available
3) any mechanic electrician in mumbai who can solve this by looking at wiring circuit diagram so i can sell the car when required at some decent price

My car has no other issues and no teansmission loss as of now wven with A/C on. The error after erase comes intermittently only after car temperature reaches idle values.

Any help advice wrt to above appreciated

Last edited by lodhra : 29th July 2016 at 15:50.
Old 7th August 2016, 12:16   #6248

Dear Senior BHPians,

I have a 2009 model Tata Safari VX & have been facing an issue for the past couple of months pertaining to the light beam throw on the road especially on highways where there is not lighting.

I consulted a mechanic & was advised to change the head lamps to 90 w with Relay which also does not seem to have much impact. Also when asked him to fit the halogens / aftermarket lights on the bull guard he refused saying that it is not good to mess with the electricals of Tata Safari as then other issues arise.

Look forward to your experiences / advise to get a good amount of head lamps working for my beast as it is practically becoming difficult to drive around the same at night.

Regards

Gurjot @ Delhi
Old 8th August 2016, 14:38   #6249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurjot View Post
Dear Senior BHPians,

I have a 2009 model Tata Safari VX & have been facing an issue for the past couple of months pertaining to the light beam throw on the road especially on highways where there is not lighting.

I consulted a mechanic & was advised to change the head lamps to 90 w with Relay which also does not seem to have much impact. Also when asked him to fit the halogens / aftermarket lights on the bull guard he refused saying that it is not good to mess with the electricals of Tata Safari as then other issues arise.

Look forward to your experiences / advise to get a good amount of head lamps working for my beast as it is practically becoming difficult to drive around the same at night.

Regards

Gurjot @ Delhi
The headlight reflectors as well as the glass goes bad, and power lamps won't help.
You can
  • Try glass and reflector restoration(toothpaste tc.,)
  • Get new headlights(expensive)
  • Get Aux lamps
If you wire your Aux lamps with a relay directly with battery, it won't cause any problems.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 16:58   #6250
BHPian

Quote:

Follow the advice given by tsk1979 Sir. I am using Osram NightBreaker Unlimited 55/60 W as my headlight bulbs and the light is really good.

Another addition is to use Tanveer sir's Nudge guard and mount Aux lamps. This has been pending in my car for some time. I can't source this particular kind of nudge guard in Madras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The headlight reflectors as well as the glass goes bad, and power lamps won't help.
You can
  • Get Aux lamps
If you wire your Aux lamps with a relay directly with battery, it won't cause any problems.
What is the brand name of the nudge guard your safari has? The ones available readily here are made of steel and they look 'Politico' class.
Old 8th August 2016, 19:05   #6251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
What is the brand name of the nudge guard your safari has? The ones available readily here are made of steel and they look 'Politico' class.
Mine is Bimbra 4x4. It has a pear while fiber front so looks okay and gells with the vehicle. However, for lights, its overkill. Just get a carryboy type clone
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 15:31   #6252
BHPian

My Safari is nearing 1 lakh kms and I am bracing myself for the maintenance. While getting the Timing Belt, Suspension & clutch work.
Which are the rubber parts that are susceptible to ageing and are recommended to be replaced?
Old 11th August 2016, 06:29   #6253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
My Safari is nearing 1 lakh kms and I am bracing myself for the maintenance. While getting the Timing Belt, Suspension & clutch work.
Which are the rubber parts that are susceptible to ageing and are recommended to be replaced?
Get timing belt done from local experienced mechanic. Tass will change lot of things with belt which increases the cost and plus the huge labor charges of Tass.

Don't get anything done in suspension or clutch if you are not facing any trouble. Have your mechanic check all suspension parts. Change only what is damaged.
Old 11th August 2016, 06:34   #6254
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Senior BHPians,

Regards

Gurjot @ Delhi
Get the regular bulbs replaced with HID. Also you can get some led bar installed. Led can have its separate wiring.
Old 11th August 2016, 17:10   #6255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You can
  • Get Aux lamps
Headlight arent that costly. Think it costed me 3200Rs.

Edit:

5200 for assembly + 500 labour.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post4033511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
Engine mounts.

Last edited by jkdas : 11th August 2016 at 17:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks