Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2016, 12:47   #6226
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
... Is it possible if I go for a full system including the actuators? ...
Sure you can. That would only require removing the existing actuators and rewiring with the new system.

But, it wouldn't harm if you check with Minda first, despite all reservations. Key thing is Immobilizer, that is not trivial with an existing Engine ECU.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 10:59   #6227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Hello Friends,
One issue which i recently saw in my Safari is erratic idling for 15-20 seconds during cold start.
Just wanted to check if its normal?

Thank you!

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 30th June 2016, 09:08   #6228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Hello Friends,
One issue which i recently saw in my Safari is erratic idling for 15-20 seconds during cold start.
Reasons can be many.
  1. dirty fuel
  2. Dirty fuel filter/sedimentor
  3. Dirty injector - try adding injector cleaner to fuel
  4. leaky turbo/vacuum pipe

How is the smoke otherwise?
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 18:09   #6229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
Reasons can be many.
  1. dirty fuel
  2. Dirty fuel filter/sedimentor
  3. Dirty injector - try adding injector cleaner to fuel
  4. leaky turbo/vacuum pipe

How is the smoke otherwise?
smoke is well within control, checked turbo and sedimentor.
erratic idling is only there for a minute or two and then it settles down, and i can bear it as long as it does not lead to bigger issue.

Shubhendra
Old 30th June 2016, 22:04   #6230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.. erratic idling ..
Erratic idling can be due to clogged/ faulty O2 sensors.
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 23:39   #6231
BHPian

Hi Experts,

My four years old safari (40k kms) has got the clutch problem. The clutch pedal when pressed, doesn't come back and then after lots of push and pull it somehow starts working.

Actually, I went to RMJ Motors, Bhopal for some other problem (steering oil leakage + Engine oil leakage from main seal). Right after getting these two leakages fixed, the clutch pedal started giving problems same day, in the workshop itself.

It seems that Clutch Master Cylinder Kit is the culprit? Please advise.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 2nd July 2016, 13:42   #6232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDHRUV View Post
I think their number All India Number is 011-33145145. You can always contact your TASC for local contact number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
But, it wouldn't harm if you check with Minda first, despite all reservations. Key thing is Immobilizer, that is not trivial with an existing Engine ECU.
Update: AS per your advices, got the system diagnosed from Minda guys. There was a wiring issue and he sorted it out. Now, 2 problems remain.

- The driver side door is getting only 'half-locked' where the lock switch is pulled only half way through. This happens only when it is locked with remote
- Manual central lock from driver door is not working. ie. You cant lock/unlock all doors with the master controller

He mentioned that the issue is with the controller unit under the seat and it needs to be replaced which costs about 3.7k. Plus I need a spare remote which is another 1.6k. Does it make sense to replace this with OEM unit or shall I go for an aftermaket unit which would be of similar price or less than this?

Last edited by man_of_steel : 2nd July 2016 at 13:46.
Old 2nd July 2016, 13:50   #6233
BHPian

I would make more sense to stick to Minda. Wiring/ Central Locking/ Immobiliser are critical components. As long as OEM components are used service/support will be there albeit paid. But with after market components trouble shooting for wiring issues will be difficult as TASC will blame the after market system and vice versa.
DDDHRUV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 14:57   #6234
BHPian

HI all,

Facing a stange issue with my safari (DICOR), tried to crank the engine this morning.
I could hear the self engaging, but it did not statrted the engine. Self was moving freely. I could hear the motor.

Tried to engage the gear & pushed my car back and forth in an assumption that something would happen. Cranked again but again the self rotated freely without starting the engine. Anyone faced this issue earlier, please suggest the possible cause.

Regards,
Saurabh

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 4th July 2016 at 15:00.
Old 4th July 2016, 20:47   #6235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
... The driver side door is getting only 'half-locked' where the lock switch is pulled only half way through. This happens only when it is locked with remote
- Manual central lock from driver door is not working. ie. You cant lock/unlock all doors with the master controller ...
Doesn't sound like a Control Unit fault.

It is the driver side actuator which is faulty, as it is not pulling the lock rod properly (lock rod connects to the lock lever). With manual operation, you are pushing the lock lever all the way in.

The reason it is not doing 'central locking' is because of the actuator fault itself - it is not in a state that the Control Unit thinks that the driver door is locked.
Old 4th July 2016, 23:35   #6236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
It is the driver side actuator which is faulty, as it is not pulling the lock rod properly (lock rod connects to the lock lever). With manual operation, you are pushing the lock lever all the way in.
That thought did cross my mind. But the lock is getting pulled all the way in the in the autolock which happens after 10 or so odd seconds after the engine is started. I checked with the Minda guy if the latch is having some issues or some greasing will do the job, but he was adamant that the CU is at fault and needs to be replaced.

Quote:
The reason it is not doing 'central locking' is because of the actuator fault itself - it is not in a state that the Control Unit thinks that the driver door is locked.
That makes sense. I was under the impression that in event of autolock mentioned above, the CU sends signal to the master actuator which in turn locks all the followers. If what you mentioned is the case then changing the master actuator should fix the issue. Let me check it with the ASC.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 4th July 2016 at 23:37.
Old 7th July 2016, 15:22   #6237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
HI all,

Facing a stange issue with my safari (DICOR), tried to crank the engine this morning.
I could hear the self engaging, but it did not statrted the engine. Self was moving freely. I could hear the motor.
Get your starter checked as when Bendex (i dont know exact technical name) slips what you explained happens.
You may need to change Bendex.

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 21:26   #6238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Bendex (i dont know exact technical name...
Excellent tip . The technical name is Bendix Drive https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bendix_drive . Another googled link, seems interesting http://www.gonefcon.com/trucktcom/starters.htm .

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 11:37   #6239
BHPian

Quote:

Get your starter checked as when Bendex (i dont know exact technical name)

Shubhendra
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post

Excellent tip . The technical name is Bendix Drive

-BJ

Many thanks to both of you.
Car was left stationary for a week due to hectic schedule. I had no option to go to the mechanic at that point.

Had faced & emergency & Sat in the car gave a long self, motor kept rotating, no engine cranck.
Tried this thrice, there was a loud thud & engince started. Finished my work, Left the engine running for entire duration, & took it to a mechanic. Problem never re-occured. .
He still inspected it, everythin was normal. I am still not sure, why it originally occured then dissapeared & never re-occured (At least till now).

And yes, the mechanic did mentioned that it can be issue with "Bendex" & may require replacment.

Saurabh.
Old 18th July 2016, 11:53   #6240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
And yes, the mechanic did mentioned that it can be issue with "Bendex" & may require replacment.

Saurabh.
The issue happened with my 3.0L DICOR. Initially, it started happening in a few days interval, then every once in a while and then the self finally gave-up. Costed some 3-4K for self motor overhaul.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks