Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2016, 09:41   #6151
BHPian

Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
Hello Prowler bro,
thank you for your quick advice as always. I just went to take a test drive. the car threw lots of white smoke on driving. The power loss has improved since the injector was refurbished but it seems there is a problem with piston, valve or connecting in the engine....

so right from the time i went to fix my AC and had no problems
I end up with initially a bill of 23k [A/c Plus timing belt plus wtaer pump etc]
And now 50K
It appears as if they messed up when they replaced the timing belt and water pump. The reason why we spend so much for a simple job like replacement of the timing belt and associated components in TASS is we expect them to know about their engines well.

I spent around 25 k for the same job in Concorde. The TASS you took your car was not probably upto the mark.

Get a second opinion from another workshop. Talk to this SOUL people for a better TASS who know what they are doing.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 09:42   #6152
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks
well when I had changed the timing belt one TASS guy had informed me that one injector is slightly malfunctioning but no need to change. I drove almost 400 kms after that. On returning at speed of 120 on expressway I developed sudden power loss. When I checked under the bonnet, the wire connecting the injector was cut off. Actually this wire had previously been gnawed by rats which was joined. This joint must have come off in cold of Mahableshwer as when I checked the wire it has green copper oxide formation.

Before going to TASS my car used to throw up a phantom error on and off. I have an OBD 2 scanner
The error was PO500 [which it seemed was due to some error of acceleration and dashboard]

The error i started getting once the injector failed was P0290 which was related to injector. I had to drive almost 80-90 km on failed injector to Tass. The car did not give any much problem at speeds above 50-60 but absolutely no power while lifting. The TASS guy removed the injector [by putting brake oil etc] as serviced it outside [as gesture as he knew me] else the injector head being rusted he informed they need to open engine block and remove it as it is difficult to remove them once rusted. The three other injectors are still stuck.Now they think that some piston ring is bent and some valve is malfunctioning for which they need to open the head. Yesterday when I took the test drive it threw out so much white smoke like the mosquito guys do while disinfecting from their machines. This smoke goes as the car heats up completely. After servicing the injector the vibration is gone but yet the power loss in picking up the engine in first gear is still there plus intermittent knocking.

Your opinions
More information helps . little bit googling let me to http://www.dieselbombers.com/general...eans-what.html .

White smoke is caused by raw, un-burnt fuel passing into the exhaust stream. Common causes include:
· Incorrect fuel injection timing
· Defective fuel injectors
· Low cylinder compression

Low cylinder compression may be caused by leaking valves, sticking piston rings, ring wear, cylinder wear, or cylinder glaze. When white smoke occurs at cold start and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around pistton rings and/or cylinder glazing.
Continuous evidence of white smoke indicates a mechanical defect, or incorrect fuel timing."

As white smoke is not coming after engine is heated, points to fuel not burning at right temp because of low cylinder compression. Get it done from good local mechanic. Generally outside TASS, costs are 50%-70% less.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 14:02   #6153
BHPian

Hello,

I have a 2008 Tata Safari 2.2 Dicor 4WD which has clocked 135K so far. Off late I am hearing a continuous "boom boom" sound when I engage in 4/5 the gear. No problem when vehicle is in 1/2/3 or reverse gear. The booming sound is more koappreciable when I take off foot from the accelerator pedal. Basically, when I upshift from 3rd gear to fourth I hear this sound and when I press the pedal more it will slowly diminish. It's more pronounced in the 5th gear and it is not a mild sound either. It's very much audible inside the cabin.

Experts your opinion please?

Regards.
Old 22nd January 2016, 21:07   #6154
BHPian

I have a 2011 Safari 4x2 VX VVT clocked 1,50,000 km. After a few km drive the check engine light came ON. I parked alongside the road and checked under the hood for anything abnormal or any parts missing :lol

But to my surprise the light went off while starting the beast again!
Old 22nd January 2016, 22:31   #6155
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_the_Don View Post
Even though the CEL went away, I'd advice you to get the car scanned at TASS to see if any error codes (DTC) are stored in the ECU that could require attention.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2016, 22:56   #6156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrANTO View Post
Hello,

I have a 2008 Tata Safari 2.2 Dicor 4WD which has clocked 135K so far. Off late I am hearing a continuous "boom boom" sound when I engage in 4/5 the gear. No problem when vehicle is in 1/2/3 or reverse gear. The booming sound is more koappreciable when I take off foot from the accelerator pedal. Basically, when I upshift from 3rd gear to fourth I hear this sound and when I press the pedal more it will slowly diminish. It's more pronounced in the 5th gear and it is not a mild sound either. It's very much audible inside the cabin.

Experts your opinion please?

Regards.
If its a humming sound, most probability is either the rear differential or the gearbox. A quick work around is to discard the synthetic oil and go for mineral oil which comes for gearbox and differential. First try changing it in differential and see if it subsidies. Castrol Axle 140 is one of the oils available in the market.. Hope your wheel bearings & propeller shaft bearings are in good shape.. I dont have much idea about the front drive system though. Other experts in this forum might help..
ameaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 12:18   #6157
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks
well when I had changed the timing belt one TASS guy had informed me that one injector is slightly malfunctioning but no need to change. I drove almost 400 kms after that. On returning at speed of 120 on expressway I developed sudden power loss. When I checked under the bonnet, the wire connecting the injector was cut off. Actually this wire had previously been gnawed by rats which was joined. This joint must have come off in cold of Mahableshwer as when I checked the wire it has green copper oxide formation.

Before going to TASS my car used to throw up a phantom error on and off. I have an OBD 2 scanner
The error was PO500 [which it seemed was due to some error of acceleration and dashboard]

The error i started getting once the injector failed was P0290 which was related to injector. I had to drive almost 80-90 km on failed injector to Tass. The car did not give any much problem at speeds above 50-60 but absolutely no power while lifting. The TASS guy removed the injector [by putting brake oil etc] as serviced it outside [as gesture as he knew me] else the injector head being rusted he informed they need to open engine block and remove it as it is difficult to remove them once rusted. The three other injectors are still stuck.Now they think that some piston ring is bent and some valve is malfunctioning for which they need to open the head. Yesterday when I took the test drive it threw out so much white smoke like the mosquito guys do while disinfecting from their machines. This smoke goes as the car heats up completely. After servicing the injector the vibration is gone but yet the power loss in picking up the engine in first gear is still there plus intermittent knocking.

Your opinions

hello
Update to my car. Its still in TASS. They inform that the engine block and head has developed malfunction and have sent it to a turner to understand the cause etc. What could be the probable cause for this. Driving on a blocked injector, speeding too much. It just seems a bit confusing [pertainig to the history I have put]. Since I am looking at cost here near 50K that puts my entire costing to 70k right from the time I went to Tass just to get my A/c serviced.
Any precautions or work I must look at once car is done and would it be good to ride once its done or should I look at selling this in next year after 6-8 months ?
Old 27th January 2016, 14:16   #6158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
That noise is absolutely normal adroit. If you had used the search feature you would have got similar queries,one even posted by yours truly when I bought mine . The service advisor has even gone to the limit of telling me its a feature to remind you have turned completely.
lol.. with TASS, anything is possible. thanks for your help anyways..
Old 28th January 2016, 14:06   #6159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_the_Don View Post
A common problem. If the light comes again, get it checked or else you are doing fine.

Quote:
Any precautions or work I must look at once car is done and would it be good to ride once its done or should I look at selling this in next year after 6-8 months ?
Is your car under warranty? If not, get it out of TASS ASAP is what I would suggest. Seems like a trap to me.
TheG2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 11:18   #6160
BHPian

Hello
The car is at Tass, , but the latest news was that the problem was with connecting rod and HLa. They said that Hla few were broken and the connecting rod bent. In taking out stuck injectors they managed to revive 3 but one was stuck in the block and had to be broken and removed but some part of it remained so need tie to take that out and then they can reassemble the engine and do a test run before delivering.They informed they will be checking all valves piston and heads but only replace or repair whats required to cut down cost. Even the broken injector they are tying to source a refurbished one

Well has the change of timing belt got to do anything with the bend of upper connecting rod or it must have just been luck by my side.
Old 2nd February 2016, 16:08   #6161
BHPian

Hello,

recently i have got my safari break Disk's replaced, Now its on new disks. The problem here is when ever i push the breaks, I don't feel its effective at all, The car doesn't even come to halt and it does not even give a jerk when you push the break pedal.

What could be the issue?

Cheers
Josh
Old 2nd February 2016, 18:36   #6162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuakeys View Post
Hello,

recently i have got my safari break Disk's replaced, Now its on new disks. The problem here is when ever i push the breaks, I don't feel its effective at all, The car doesn't even come to halt and it does not even give a jerk when you push the break pedal.

What could be the issue?

Cheers
Josh
Have you tried bleeding the brake lines? Air pocket in the brake line can cause a spongy pedal feel.
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2016, 14:48   #6163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Have you tried bleeding the brake lines? Air pocket in the brake line can cause a spongy pedal feel.
Hi Scharavarthy,

Thanks for the inputs, wanted to know if this can be done at the local Mechanic or do i have to take it to the TASS because I am totally unaware of how to get the break lines bleed.

Cheers
Josh
Old 3rd February 2016, 14:57   #6164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuakeys View Post

Hi Scharavarthy,

Thanks for the inputs, wanted to know if this can be done at the local Mechanic or do i have to take it to the TASS because I am totally unaware of how to get the break lines bleed.

Cheers
Josh
It's a fairly simple job and any competent mechanic should be able to do it.
Alternately, if you are so inclined, you can attempt to DIY. There are threads here that outline the process, iirc.
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 20:23   #6165

My Safari 2010 has covered 76000. For some time now there has been some play in steering. You have to put extra effort to keep it in straight line. Front tyres are also wearing fast. Shown to a local mechanic, he says that suspension requires fixing or change. What kind of expenditure I am looking at. Can it be taken care outside of TASS or shall I stick to TASS?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks