Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2016, 14:55   #6136
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post

Is the sludge formation due to mixing of coolant and oil ? indicating a gasket /head leak ?

thanks
Srinivas
Change the radiator cap and see if the problem goes away. The rubber on the cap gets brittle with age, and then you have micro evaporation leak.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 09:45   #6137
BHPian

Quote:
For the last 3 weeks, I'm facing a queer problem.

When I drive back home from office in the evening ( 7:00pm bangalore, with lower than usual temperatures these days ), the radiator fans ( both ) are running for the entire duration of 10kms / 45 min, once the engine is warmed to the half way mark.

The temp does not rise, but the fans keep running making a very loud noise. Fans run for atleast 3 min after I switch off the engine.

Suspecting coolant leak / evaporation, I added 2ltrs of coolant 3 weeks back, after which the problem went away, only to surface again in the past 2 days. There is obviously coolant leak somewhere but a cursory look at the engine bay did not reveal much.

thanks
Srinivas
Hi Srini,
I had a similar issue with the coolant leaking from the system. The refill would only last a couple of weeks and the issue of fans running for 2-3 min post engine shut down resurfaces.
Have you checked the water pump for any leaks? The issue I had was due to a leak at the pump. I had that replaced and the issue has been sorted out. I've been observing the coolant level almost on a daily basis now so that I can spot the leaks early on and not let the radiator run dry.

Regards
Bugs
bhagathmp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 10:32   #6138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I drive back home from office in the evening ( 7:00pm bangalore, with lower than usual temperatures these days ), the radiator fans ( both ) are running for the entire duration of 10kms / 45 min, once the engine is warmed to the half way mark.

The temp does not rise, but the fans keep running making a very loud noise. Fans run for atleast 3 min after I switch off the engine.

Suspecting coolant leak / evaporation, I added 2ltrs of coolant 3 weeks back, after which the problem went away, only to surface again in the past 2 days.

Is the sludge formation due to mixing of coolant and oil ? indicating a gasket /head leak ?

thanks
Srinivas
Hi Srinivas,
Faulty thermostat also can cause the fan run continuously.
After you topped up 2 lit of coolant, did the coolant level fall down again?
If the oil is getting mixed with the coolant, then you will find the coolant oily; there will be oil emulsion in the coolant. Also the coolant color will change.

You can check this yourself.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 10:38   #6139
BHPian

Quote:
There is obviously coolant leak somewhere but a cursory look at the engine bay did not reveal much.

I took the car to the TASS - EMM EMM Motors, today. Coolant overflow tank is empty, and there seems to be a significant deposit of white sludge in the tank. TASS is suggesting radiator overhaul and cleaning of the tank.

My question is wether anyone else has faced the issue of the white sludge deposit in the coolant tank, and if a radiator overhaul is required or a simple flush will suffice. I'm hearing of this type of sludge formation in the cooling system for the first time ( heard of this in the older Fiat/Ambys ).

thanks
Srinivas
Flush would be the simplest thing to give a shot. The leak may be from timing belt-water pump also.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 11:07   #6140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi Srinivas,
Faulty thermostat also can cause the fan run continuously.
After you topped up 2 lit of coolant, did the coolant level fall down again?
If the oil is getting mixed with the coolant, then you will find the coolant oily; there will be oil emulsion in the coolant. Also the coolant color will change.

You can check this yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhagathmp View Post
Hi Srini,
I had a similar issue with the coolant leaking from the system. The refill would only last a couple of weeks and the issue of fans running for 2-3 min post engine shut down resurfaces.
Have you checked the water pump for any leaks? The issue I had was due to a leak at the pump. I had that replaced and the issue has been sorted out. I've been observing the coolant level almost on a daily basis now so that I can spot the leaks early on and not let the radiator run dry.

Regards
Bugs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
Flush would be the simplest thing to give a shot. The leak may be from timing belt-water pump also.

Thanks everyone for the inputs. The car is currently at TASS. Will know by evening if the waterpump is the culprit.

regards
Srinivas
Old 13th January 2016, 20:12   #6141
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the inputs. The car is currently at TASS. Will know by evening if the waterpump is the culprit.

regards
Srinivas
Hi Srini, did you get the truck back?
Regards
Bugs
Old 14th January 2016, 06:21   #6142
Senior - BHPian

Got the truck back yesterday evening. TASS claims the leak was from the radiator. One side panel was rusted and had to be replaced. Water pump is ok. Will have.to observe for a few days.
Old 15th January 2016, 15:37   #6143
BHPian

guys, i have recently got a used Dicor and noticed that while turning the steering completely towards left, it make some sound like something just hit any part.. not sure what that is, any idea or suggestion ?
Old 17th January 2016, 16:38   #6144

Hi Gurus,

Lately my Safari Dicor had been a smooth rider with no big issues as of yet. But for the past 2 days, the dicor is dragging to the sides. I mean if I turn it to 2 degree left, it goes beyond 2 degrees and feels like dragging to the side. It is happening for both the sides.
I have gotten checked the alignment also. A neighborhood mechanic says the issue is with the steering play and specifically to the point where suspension meets the steering mechanism ().
Please shed some light of your experiences, guide me through this situation.
FYI, my extended service has got over and I am on my own now.
Also, I drive light ,never weighed my dicor down and a smooth/calm driver.

Thanks,
Apanchal
Dwarka
New Delhi
Old 21st January 2016, 10:30   #6145
BHPian

Hello Gurus and friends

A serious advice. As I have been putting up in pst few weeks about the A/c and timing belt work being done. After that work I posted an audio file about strange vibration I started getting. In the meanwhile I went to Mahableshwar and while returning on expressway at speed of around 120 I suddenly lost power and so I pulled aside and checked under hood. Seems the injector wire was cut by rat which must ahve hold on but got loose with oxide formation on it.
Anyhow with loss of power I managed to bring car back to mumbai and went to TASS.
They somehow managed to open the injector and serviced it and put it back [4500 Rs] so was saved big money here.
However the TASS guy [whom I know well] observed the same vibration and informed he needs to check the connector pin at bottom with bearing. On doing so he found nothing wrong so he said that it must be coming from engine head and valve. He told me that if I do that work it is like half engine so may cost more so better avoid. He said if i drive car at 60-70 it would be fine but not more. I have not yet taken the test drive He said that if I can sell of the car and buy new one would be better else once engine opens it is like pandora box [all of the record]. He is only charging me for the injector as of now and some parts which were damaged when opening the connector joint below. I still do not know if the engine misses when lifting in first gear as was the case when injector failed. Will post that. So my queries

1>Should I get second opinion or anything else I should check. I started getting this vibration only after timing belt water pump was changed but this could be co-incidental ?
2>Should I be looking for a new car and sell this off [as most times my travels are in obsolete location to fetch herbs as I am an Ayurveda doctor]
3>Any other advice gurus can give

As of now I have spent almost 30K on the car including A/c work, Timing belt and now this so running cost are coming very high. Its an 2010 GX safari and hence I do not expect much in second hand market. So in case i do sell the car what do you guys suggest

1>Ask for exchange [a better option]
2>Or put it in market [what price can i expect]

Any inputs would really help
Old 21st January 2016, 11:33   #6146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
A serious advice.
They somehow managed to open the injector and serviced it and put it back [4500 Rs] so was saved big money here.
However the TASS guy [whom I know well] observed the same vibration and informed he needs to check the connector pin at bottom with bearing. On doing so he found nothing wrong so he said that it must be coming from engine head and valve. He told me that if I do that work it is like half engine so may cost more so better avoid. He said if i drive car at 60-70 it would be fine but not more. I have not yet taken the test drive He said that if I can sell of the car and buy new one would be better else once engine opens it is like pandora box [all of the record].

1>Should I get second opinion or anything else I should check. I started getting this vibration only after timing belt water pump was changed but this could be co-incidental ?
2>Should I be looking for a new car and sell this off [as most times my travels are in obsolete location to fetch herbs as I am an Ayurveda doctor]

I am sorry to hear about your problems. So basically some wiring had been damaged by rats. Safari dicor has lots of electronics for engine management. If there is some intermittent connection in a sensor, the engine may throw issues hard to diagnose as the symptoms will occur at a certain vibration.

If you are a member of SOUL - Safari Owners United League - in Facebook, ask Soumitra Pal or Reshma Harikumar who might help you with TASS.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 13:41   #6147
BHPian

Hello Prowler bro,
thank you for your quick advice as always. I just went to take a test drive. the car threw lots of white smoke on driving. The power loss has improved since the injector was refurbished but it seems there is a problem with piston, valve or connecting in the engine. TASS told me they need to open the engine head and check. This is huge job but saud they would try to keep it to minimum. Looking at cost of 50K here. He said the 3rd injector was completely blocked, may have pulled in diesel inside causing the problem.

so right from the time i went to fix my AC and had no problems
I end up with initially a bill of 23k [A/c Plus timing belt plus wtaer pump etc]
And now 50K

The safari is run only 38K in 5 years. Now putting this almost 70K i hope the engine works out well for atleast an year or so or more.
Any tips how i should be going about this in terms of future
lodhra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 18:48   #6148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit View Post
guys, i have recently got a used Dicor and noticed that while turning the steering completely towards left, it make some sound like something just hit any part.. not sure what that is, any idea or suggestion ?

That noise is absolutely normal adroit. If you had used the search feature you would have got similar queries,one even posted by yours truly when I bought mine . The service advisor has even gone to the limit of telling me its a feature to remind you have turned completely.
Old 22nd January 2016, 06:43   #6149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
Hello Gurus and friends

A serious advice. As I have been putting up in pst few weeks about the A/c and timing belt work being done. After that work I posted an audio file about strange vibration I started getting. In the meanwhile I went to Mahableshwar and while returning on expressway at speed of around 120 I suddenly lost power and so I pulled aside and checked under hood. Seems the injector wire was cut by rat which must ahve hold on but got loose with oxide formation on it.
Anyhow with loss of power I managed to bring car back to mumbai and went to TASS.
However the TASS guy [whom I know well] observed the same vibration and informed he needs to check the connector pin at bottom with bearing. On doing so he found nothing wrong so he said that it must be coming from engine head and valve. He told me that if I do that work it is like half engine so may cost more so better avoid. He said if i drive car at 60-70 it would be fine but not more. I have not yet taken the test drive He said that if I can sell of the car and buy new one would be better else once engine opens it is like pandora box [all of the record]. He is only charging me for the injector as of now and some parts which were damaged when opening the connector joint below. I still do not know if the engine misses when lifting in first gear as was the case when injector failed. Will post that. So my queries

As of now I have spent almost 30K on the car including A/c work, Timing belt and now this so running cost are coming very high. Its an 2010 GX safari and hence I do not expect much in second hand market. So in case i do sell the car what do you guys suggest

Any inputs would really help
Tass never does injector servicing. Looks like they screwed up fixing timing belt which further resulted in the engine damage which you are reporting now.

To cover it all up you are being asked to sell it off.

Injectors don't get blocked so easily and so badly all of a sudden. Car has fuel filter and sedimentor to avoid all this.

Whole mess is stinky, show to some other workshop. Ask for what are the errors recorded in the ecu. Sue tata motors and the workshop.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 08:14   #6150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
Tass never does injector servicing. Looks like they screwed up fixing timing belt which further resulted in the engine damage which you are reporting now.

To cover it all up you are being asked to sell it off.

Injectors don't get blocked so easily and so badly all of a sudden. Car has fuel filter and sedimentor to avoid all this.

Whole mess is stinky, show to some other workshop. Ask for what are the errors recorded in the ecu. Sue tata motors and the workshop.
Thanks
well when I had changed the timing belt one TASS guy had informed me that one injector is slightly malfunctioning but no need to change. I drove almost 400 kms after that. On returning at speed of 120 on expressway I developed sudden power loss. When I checked under the bonnet, the wire connecting the injector was cut off. Actually this wire had previously been gnawed by rats which was joined. This joint must have come off in cold of Mahableshwer as when I checked the wire it has green copper oxide formation.

Before going to TASS my car used to throw up a phantom error on and off. I have an OBD 2 scanner
The error was PO500 [which it seemed was due to some error of acceleration and dashboard]

The error i started getting once the injector failed was P0290 which was related to injector. I had to drive almost 80-90 km on failed injector to Tass. The car did not give any much problem at speeds above 50-60 but absolutely no power while lifting. The TASS guy removed the injector [by putting brake oil etc] as serviced it outside [as gesture as he knew me] else the injector head being rusted he informed they need to open engine block and remove it as it is difficult to remove them once rusted. The three other injectors are still stuck.Now they think that some piston ring is bent and some valve is malfunctioning for which they need to open the head. Yesterday when I took the test drive it threw out so much white smoke like the mosquito guys do while disinfecting from their machines. This smoke goes as the car heats up completely. After servicing the injector the vibration is gone but yet the power loss in picking up the engine in first gear is still there plus intermittent knocking.

Your opinions

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks