Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2015, 12:53   #6061
BHPian

Replacing timing belts after 5 years is a common practice followed for all cars irrespective of brands. All rubber parts has a shelf life and 5 years is max. Changing pulleys and water pump is also recommended during timing belt change because a worn out pulley or water pump can damage a new timing belt much faster. The effort required for replacing only timing belt and replacing all 3 together is almost the same. Hence this practice.

However the way the service advisors are cooking up stories and changing it as per their convenience is a bad experience. It brings down the confidence people have in TASS. No wonder why people are still staying away from new Tata products.
Holyghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 14:25   #6062
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

The secret to maintain Safari is to find a good service guy outside authorized TASS! Also find out a good part shop who can source parts for you. The advantage is that you save money and you get peace of mind.

No a.s.s. is supposed to change any part unless he has taken your permission before hand. Also a good service supervisor should tell you what would be done/changed/replaced.
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 12:41   #6063
BHPian

Hi All,

If this query related to Safari fits in here, please answer. Else requesting MODS to please move this to correct thread.

My four tyres out of five are on ventillator & I am in a serious need of replacing them. Exploring the option of 255s. What is the impact of upgrading tyres of Safari (Ex) to 255/65/16 from 235s'. Is it a good option? Not worried about FE, but what can be the expected change anyways?
Do these wider tyres hit the Fender & inner walls?

Also requesting suggestions on which brand of tyre to chose from Bridgestone/Yoko/Maxis or any other.

Thanks,
Saurabh.
Old 19th September 2015, 19:54   #6064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.singh.73 View Post
I sent out my Safari GX 2009 for service at 29km to Concord Motors Hyderabad, I just wanted easy experience after last experience with Butt Motors and also wanted ECU update as it was never carried on my vehicle and not even retrofitment.

The TML remains as tight-lipped as ever with response produced below

Dear Mr. Singh

Greetings from Tata Motors!! Thanks for giving us the time to speak to you together in con-call along with Thoufick and Ramarao from Concorde Motors and Uday also from Tata Motors on 16th evening.

We updated you on your first query which came to us on 14th Sept of whether your car requiring any updation. As discussed with your goodself on this query, Updation ( Mechanical / Software ) is not applicable for your car as also confirmed by our Plant.

Also as explicitly asked by you for revert on below points, please find the same underlined and highlighted

1. Outline the ECU software version on my vehicle. Outline the current version of ECU software based on the advisories issued by TATA for BSIII vehicles.
There is no Software Updation for ECU for this Chassis MAT4033219ND05373 bearing Reg no UP16X2139

2. Outline and detail – what retro fitments have been done by TATA motors on TATA Safari 2009 model till date, when have they been carried out on my vehicle and by which Service Center?
There is no Software/Mechanical Updation applicable for your car and thus has not been advised till date by any workshop you visited.

3. Clearly spell out that its normal for TATA Safari 2009 to go for replacement of Timing belt at 29k, whereas your manual say 1 lakh km.
As discussed, Timing Belt needs to be changed as per the Service schedule at 5 years / 1 lac kms whichever is earlier. Since your car is purchased in May 2009, it calls for a change as per the schedule based on age of car.

4. Outline – typically, what parts are changed for timing belt changes.
As per the Schedule, Timing belt and belt Tensioners need change. Also there is leakage in Water Pump ( team can show the part to you or your representative at workshop if desired ) and thus advised by workshop to change it to avoid any failure further.

5. Send me the written estimate of work that you plan to carry as part of the service – which is with Concorde Motors since 14 Sep – 11 AM.
The estimate has been given by Service Advisor over phone to you and further with this mail will ask Concorde Team to share the estimate with parts / labour involved ( Performance Invoice ) over mail to your good self.

And service bill of 43k +14 k for rear bumper, I think 50k service bill is standard for Safari - last year also paid similar amount and 1 Month of chasing to get the vehicle working post service. After less than 1k km, again the same thing - I hope it doesn't require chasing them for more than a month - if that happens, I will dump this car-such a marvel of engineering created by TML and money spinner for the TML service centers !
Attached Files
File Type: pdf UP16X2139- service bill 19 sep 2015.pdf (11.8 KB, 795 views)
Old 19th September 2015, 20:46   #6065
BHPian

Please can someone outline the advisory by TML or any of their service centers for TATA Safari 2009 onwards for any Software/Mechanical Updation ?

I just want to nail TML on their statement "There is no Software/Mechanical Updation applicable for your car and thus has not been advised till date by any workshop you visited. "

Not sure if that would make any difference to them but atleast one legal nail should be put into their arrogant coffin as vehicle manufacturer.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The secret to maintain Safari is to find a good service guy outside authorized TASS! Also find out a good part shop who can source parts for you. The advantage is that you save money and you get peace of mind.

No a.s.s. is supposed to change any part unless he has taken your permission before hand. Also a good service supervisor should tell you what would be done/changed/replaced.
JKDAS - unfortunately being non-native at Hyderabad doesn't help, outside TASS is similar experience to maintain Indigo Marina

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th September 2015 at 21:18. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your post within the 30-min window to add content to your post.
Old 22nd September 2015, 22:01   #6066
BHPian

Please anyone who can provide the copy of TML advisory on retrofitment on Safari 2009, I have engaged the lawyer and just need the copy in any form to press the charges !

Thank you in advance !

Vivek
Old 26th September 2015, 12:53   #6067
BHPian

My AC refrigerant gas had leaked and I sent the car to Concorde for normal annual service as well as for this issue. They asked me to buy AMC for around Rs.5800/- which is supposed to save me some money on labor and part cost. The AC cooling coil, thermostat and expansion valve have been replaced. The steering wheel had jammed and they are replacing that too.

This time also the service bill may come to about Rs.25k or so. I am presenting my regular service information here so that other Safari owners may get an idea what items fail during normal ownership.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 19:43   #6068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuakeys View Post
Seems to be a major servicing, all the suspension work and the clutch job and general servicing is costing up to 40k approximately including the labor, which is similar to TASS, will try to attach the job card also.

Cheers
Josh

Hi BHPins,

After getting the suspension and Clutch work done(Replaced with new kit), The Truck, still feels sluggish, I feel it still Mourns while shifting gears, meaning, After throttle and while releasing the clutch, its still on high RPM, usually it has to come down the moment the accelerator is released . What could be the issue, I have taken the truck twice to the same guy, not happy yet, Planning to take it to TASS sometime next week, Mean while any suggestion are appreciated.

Cheers
Josh
Old 26th September 2015, 20:06   #6069
BANNED

Quote:
After throttle and while releasing the clutch, its still on high RPM usually it has to come down the moment the accelerator is released . What could be the issue
Can you put down the problem a clearly?

As much as I could understand I guess the throttle position sensor is not working as it should.
Old 28th September 2015, 09:15   #6070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Can you put down the problem a clearly?

As much as I could understand I guess the throttle position sensor is not working as it should.
Hi Anurag,

I guess what you have mentioned could be right, will get the truck checked next week.

Cheers
Josh
Old 28th September 2015, 15:33   #6071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Replacing timing belts after 5 years is a common practice followed for all cars irrespective of brands. All rubber parts has a shelf life and 5 years is max. Changing pulleys and water pump is also recommended during timing belt change because a worn out pulley or water pump can damage a new timing belt much faster. The effort required for replacing only timing belt and replacing all 3 together is almost the same. Hence this practice.

Tata products.
Hi Holyghost,

I am planning to get the timing belt changed sometime this month, What all needs to be changed, can you please list them. Also how much would it cost to get the entire thing done at TASS.

Mods, Have seen the post now & couldn't add this to the earlier post

Cheers
Josh

Last edited by joshuakeys : 28th September 2015 at 15:35. Reason: Editing
Old 28th September 2015, 16:42   #6072
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Holyghost,

I am planning to get the timing belt changed sometime this month, What all needs to be changed, can you please list them. Also how much would it cost to get the entire thing done at TASS.
Josh
Timing Belt:Rs1785.15
Idler Pulley Assembly:Rs.1563.32
Assy.Auto Tensioner:Rs.1961.57
Assy.Water Pump:Rs.1556.33
Assy.Touch Idler.Rs.475.11
Timing cover:Rs.194.76
Gasket Water Pump:Rs.32.31
sealant:Rs.829.69
Labor:Rs3200/-

That is the list of parts replaced for my Safari last year. They may charge you more if in the process of changing this, they muck up something.

Like for me this time, in the process of changing my AC cooling coil, they had to replace my steering wheel at the cost of Rs.5000/-
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 11:45   #6073
BHPian

I just paid 18k for timing belt change, as there is new model of timing belt and if your vehicle has not gone through retro-fitment earlier this is what you would pay, else its about 3k
vivek.singh.73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 18:01   #6074
BHPian

Guys need some help, the other day my Safari's 4x4 probably got engaged on its own. The right side hub started making a noise and the vehicle became heavy (normally like what happens when in 4x4 mode). This happened when I turned full to the right side at 10KPH. After stopping and turning the steering in opposite locks it went away on its own, but again the same thing happened. So now how to unlock it and get it to the service centre. I did try the usual reversing thing etc. But it didn't help, any clues...
Old 30th September 2015, 18:34   #6075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.singh.73 View Post
I just paid 18k for timing belt change, as there is new model of timing belt and if your vehicle has not gone through retro-fitment earlier this is what you would pay, else its about 3k
Hi Vivek,

Now what does the retro-fitment mean? I have no clue about it, can you provide any info about it please, and my vehicle hasn't gone through it.

Cheers
Josh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks