Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2015, 20:26   #6031
BHPian

Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hi All,

I need some help to diagnose a problem on my truck,

I have a 2009 2.2 Gx, has run about 53K Kms, regularly serviced etc, no major issues as such.

For last 10 days or so I was feeling some vibration in the steering off and on,
so gave it to TASS for a checkup on Friday, KHT in Whitefield in the morning.

Got a call from them in a couple of hours saying that the bushes of the link suspension in the rear have gone and need to be replaced, cost ~3500/- I asked them to go ahead.

They also mentioned that they noticed lot of black smoke from the vehicle, I told them that I have never noticed the same and asked them to investigate.

They said they'll debug the problem and get back to me the next day,

Didn't get any call from them till 12:00 next day, so called back Anil, he said that the vehicle will be ready by 3 and to come an pick it up, He said that the Black smoke was due to EGR valve not working properly, but its fine now,

Anyway got the vehicle back in the evening, the suspension was fine and felt very nice and solid, no vibration etc. There was lot of traffic and mostly drove the 3 km distance to my home at slow speed, didnt notice anything.

THE PROBLEM
Today went to Yelahanka ( about 30 kms) to drop my sister, and very sudden intermittent loss of power with lost of black smoke, this kept on becoming more frequent, while coming back the service light also came on, it was as if the turbo was not kicking in at all, pedal to the metal, but no power even at high rpms,

to it to KHT directly, Service manager Ramesh started looking into the problem, took a test drive to see it for himself, tightened ECU earthing and various other hoses/pipes, but not luck, asked me to leave the vehicle for an hour to put the laptop etc,
told me later that they found two errors on the ECU ( didn't mention whihc one)

got a call in the evening saying that they still dont have root cause of the issue and will need to keep the vehicle for another day.

Any inputs??
Old 31st August 2015, 15:38   #6032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman77 View Post
THE PROBLEM
Today went to Yelahanka ( about 30 kms) to drop my sister, and very sudden intermittent loss of power with lost of black smoke, this kept on becoming more frequent, while coming back the service light also came on, it was as if the turbo was not kicking in at all, pedal to the metal, but no power even at high rpms...
Had the same issue, with my GX 2.2, Anshuman. It turned out to be a leak in the hose.

Symptoms where : excessive smoke, loss of power. And with the service light on, absolutely no power and RPM doesn't cross 2,000.

The error codes that I got were P0400 (for EGR valve) and P0299 (for powertrain).

Have put in the details and photos in my ownership thread @ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3791348

Have them check the hoses before anything else.
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 15:55   #6033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Had the same issue, with my GX 2.2, Anshuman. It turned out to be a leak in the hose.

Symptoms where : excessive smoke, loss of power. And with the service light on, absolutely no power and RPM doesn't cross 2,000.

The error codes that I got were P0400 (for EGR valve) and P0299 (for powertrain).

Have put in the details and photos in my ownership thread @ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3791348

Have them check the hoses before anything else.

Thanks,
Just got a call from them that they checked all hoses and inspected/cleaned all sensors.
They seem to be saying that the EGR valve was not functioning properly and they have rectified this,

Have asked me to pick up the vehicle,

Will check and report.
Old 31st August 2015, 17:09   #6034
BHPian

I recently drove my BIL's Safari (Pre-storme) over 200 kms of Kerala's twisties.

-The steering is ponderous . I need to flick the steering more than in a usual passenger car to get results and that too delayed. Could it be that the steering box is failing? I had a similar issue in the Omni and that was rectified by changing some steering component
-The ride is wallowy, but this is something I expected from the heavy comfortable car. I now know how a Bus driver feels.
-The takeoff is smooth, but when I engage to higher gears, I can feel this Judder, as if the engine is too torque.
-The AC takes long to cool even with the centre blowers at full speed
-The Doors start rattling after 2-3 kms of slamming them shut.

Do let me know if these are part of usual behavior and whether I should ask my BIL to get them checked

Otherwise, yes its a monster of a vehicle, amazing road presence and very comfortable ride.
Old 31st August 2015, 18:01   #6035
BHPian

Note from Support: Please do not provide responses within quotes. Quote relevant portions of post. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
The steering is ponderous . I need to flick the steering more than in a usual passenger car to get results and that too delayed.

The ride is wallowy, but this is something I expected from the heavy comfortable car. I now know how a Bus driver feels.
Check the wheel alignment and suspension components first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj
The takeoff is smooth, but when I engage to higher gears, I can feel this Judder, as if the engine is too torque.
Check engine mounts.

Quote:
The AC takes long to cool even with the centre blowers at full speed
May be the gas is low.

Quote:
The Doors start rattling after 2-3 kms of slamming them shut.
Sometimes the seat belt ends rattle around the door. Insert them properly into the hold. Other than the tail gate, usually Safari doors don't rattle.

Last edited by aah78 : 31st August 2015 at 20:16. Reason: Post edited. See note.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 23:12   #6036
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks,
Just got a call from them that they checked all hoses and inspected/cleaned all sensors.
They seem to be saying that the EGR valve was not functioning properly and they have rectified this,

Have asked me to pick up the vehicle,

Will check and report.
Got the vehicle back form KHT, due to heavy traffic in the evening was not able to push the vehicle much but the problem does seem to be rectified. I was told the there was water/dust in the EGR and air filter sensor (didn't make a lot of sense)
They did not charge me anything.
anshuman77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 20:31   #6037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was told the there was water/dust in the EGR and air filter sensor (didn't make a lot of sense)
They did not charge me anything.
How is the smoke from exhaust?

Carbon deposit is usual, but water?

I too had my MAF sensor cleaned with the EGR valve. But had to pay INR 700.
Old 1st September 2015, 21:49   #6038
BANNED

Quote:
I was told the there was water/dust in the EGR and air filter sensor (didn't make a lot of sense). They did not charge me anything.
Before the air filter box inlet pipe there is a MAF sensor present (Mass Air Flow) that measures the air density and temperature. This data is sent to the ECU that meters the fuel as required to the combustion chamber so that the burning of the fuel is better and complete.

Air filter was wet or dry? Should be wet as the MAF sensor was wet.

What all works have been carried out on the car? Get the bill for better understanding.

Quote:
How is the smoke from exhaust?

Carbon deposit is usual, but water?
That's what bothers me.
Old 2nd September 2015, 08:19   #6039
Team-BHP Support

A friend from Patna requires left front power window mechanism, his is a dual channel mechanism. Model 2010 Safari EX.

Can it be sourced online? If yes, where?

Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 12:06   #6040
BHPian

@HappyWheels:
Smoke from the exhaust is normal, no excessive black smoke.
On the Water: TASS feels that something might have become amiss accidentally while inspection or cleaning, hence the water

@a4anurag:
Have not checked air filter, will do so and update.
TASS has not given me any bill, they just took the vehicle kept it for a couple of days for rectification and debugging and returned it.

The performance does seem little improved though than what it was before the problem happened.

Also TASS seemed to be very wary of the feedback I would give to Tata Motors when they would do the usual call back for feedback.

I am assuming that they have not noted anywhere that the vehicle had problems after their service and hence no paperwork or bill. The key point here was that this issue did not exist when the vehicle was given to TASS for other unrelated repairs.
anshuman77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 12:47   #6041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
A friend from Patna requires left front power window mechanism, his is a dual channel mechanism. Model 2010 Safari EX.

Thanks
Is this the one: http://www.99rpm.com/tata/components...fari-2008.html

Also, write to http://www.partsbigboss.in/ and check if they can procure this for you and what their pricing might be.

Disclaimers : not associated with anyone of the above.
HappyWheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 16:01   #6042
Senior - BHPian

I wanted to swap the horns on my Xenon XT and so removed the slider at the front.
There seems to be some sort of oil leak.

Help please.

Name:  ForumRunner_20150902_151516.png
Views: 2689
Size:  757.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150902_155926.png
Views: 2572
Size:  786.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150902_155942.png
Views: 2637
Size:  755.5 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150902_155953.png
Views: 3202
Size:  731.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150902_160013.png
Views: 2603
Size:  577.5 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150902_160027.png
Views: 2667
Size:  712.1 KB

Pic angle is looking upwards from the front right lower wishbone.
Old 5th September 2015, 12:38   #6043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

Thanks
Quote:
Mods: Please deleted this if inappropriate for this thread.

Bad news Guys,
99rpm has stopped providing Tata Parts, claiming that they are into a major overhaul for Tata parts. You can try after few months.

Thanks "HappyWheels" for providing another link to buy Safari parts.

partbigboss.in, seems to be a hope. They have few parts but, no pics to confirm if this is what we are looking for.

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 5th September 2015 at 12:41.
saurabh2711 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 13:12   #6044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
Hi Ameaa

Injectors can get stuck due to accumulation of carbon. I would suggest that you take your safari to TVS-Lucas for checking the injectors as well as fuel pump. You can find a local service centre at following webpage.

http://www.lucas-service.in/scripts/DealerNetwork.asp

Hopefully your injectors should be removed without opening the head. You should not get the head opened unless it is absolutely necessary.
Thanks for the info. I tried with service centers. They wont do removal of injectors. They only service them. Head is removed and is in lathe for last one week, still two injectors wont come out and i don't want them to be damaged in the process of removal. Horrible design, i would say. Probably my last car from TATA.

Guys, my advise is not to go for such repairs. Its better to live with all these extra sounds or so called features than going for a repair. Its utter pain..
Old 9th September 2015, 11:28   #6045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Horrible design, i would say. Probably my last car from TATA.

Guys, my advise is not to go for such repairs. Its better to live with all these extra sounds or so called features than going for a repair. Its utter pain..
Hi Ameaa
My sympathies for the terrible experience you are having.
The Safari's injection system is state of the art, and if you search international sites you'll find similar issues occurring in premier cars as well. The injector problems are more due to bad fuel that we get at pumps in India than a design problem. Be patient and get a thorough repair work done, and you'll forget the bad experience when you are behind the wheel of this amazing truck again.
param22k is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed