Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2015, 22:36   #6016
BHPian

Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Experts, need an advice. My Oct 2010, BS4 safari started making knocking sound at idle when a/c is switched ON. An outside mechanic told me that the sound is from the injectors and he suggested to go for an overhaul of injector. Now i left the vehicle for this repair but the injectors wont come out. He says its a press fit with a removable lock on top. He is suggesting to remove the head and route it to lathe though there is no guarantee that the injectors would be removed without damage. He has tried all methods including WD40 and other compounds for almost a week. Is there any work around without removing the head. Mine has done 1,20,000 kms so far.
Hi Ameaa

Injectors can get stuck due to accumulation of carbon. I would suggest that you take your safari to TVS-Lucas for checking the injectors as well as fuel pump. You can find a local service centre at following webpage.

http://www.lucas-service.in/scripts/DealerNetwork.asp

Hopefully your injectors should be removed without opening the head. You should not get the head opened unless it is absolutely necessary.
param22k is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 11:34   #6017
AVR
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Have just bought a pre-owned Safari VX 4x4 2009 model with 61k on the odo. Done about 1500 kms in the last two weeks on it and all works well though I want clarifications on a few things:

1) Occasionally, there is a slight engine vibration when stopped at idle on red lights. Usually, one doesn't even feel the engine is very smooth on idle but only occasional vibrations.

2) The fuel gauge showed halfway down the red and the car ran out of diesel and refused to start. Once I got it topped up, since it was raining heavily I ended up driving it through flooded streets and suddenly the gauge started going down in real-time. Was stuck in traffic but managed to find a fuel station and went and asked him to top up again. Just 1.25 Lts went and gauge was full again. Was leaving for a 1000 km trip and this thing did act erratically a few times. Not sure what could be the reason

3) The second gear is extremely tough to slot during cold starts. Works fine after being run a bit. Got gear oil changed but issue persists.

4) The full car has a shudder in 5th gear if between 55-80. It almost feels like the wrong speed/gear combo shudder. Even my old TCIC Safari doesn't have the same shudder. Is that normal?

I haven't gotten anything done yet but am assuming the Suspension and timing kit are things I need to sort out in the near future.

Any suggestions on the following?
1) Fuel additives or brands
2) Recommended Engine oil

Planning to go for KC Daylighters as the only addition as of now.

Cheers,
Adi
Old 27th August 2015, 12:30   #6018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
1) Occasionally, there is a slight engine vibration when stopped at idle on red lights...
This could be due to compressor kick-in periodically if AC is switched on. In that case, it is normal.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 14:18   #6019
BANNED

Quote:
1) Occasionally, there is a slight engine vibration when stopped at idle on red lights. Usually, one doesn't even feel the engine is very smooth on idle but only occasional vibrations.
Get your engine and GB mounts checked and replaced. That should fix this.

Quote:
2) The fuel gauge showed halfway down the red and the car ran out of diesel and refused to start. Once I got it topped up, since it was raining heavily I ended up driving it through flooded streets and suddenly the gauge started going down in real-time. Was stuck in traffic but managed to find a fuel station and went and asked him to top up again. Just 1.25 Lts went and gauge was full again. Was leaving for a 1000 km trip and this thing did act erratically a few times. Not sure what could be the reason
Looks like an electrical loose contact, pretty common with older Safaris. Have the fuel gauge connections checked, especially near the fuel tank area. This should be easy to address.

Quote:
3) The second gear is extremely tough to slot during cold starts. Works fine after being run a bit. Got gear oil changed but issue persists.
Have you compared by driving another vehicle of a similar age? If it works fine after getting warm, you could use Xado GB fluid and that should fix any minor mechanical wear and tear.

Quote:
4) The full car has a shudder in 5th gear if between 55-80. It almost feels like the wrong speed/gear combo shudder. Even my old TCIC Safari doesn't have the same shudder. Is that normal?
Now this is not good. Get your propellor shafts and UJs checked. Also have the body mounts checked for tightness and bush condition. 55kmph for 5th gear is completely normal for the Safari.

Quote:
I haven't gotten anything done yet but am assuming the Suspension and timing kit are things I need to sort out in the near future.
Timing belts are generally replaced around 90k kms. Suspension bushes, yes, it is time you took a look at them.

Quote:
Any suggestions on the following?
1) Fuel additives or brands
2) Recommended Engine oil
Fuel additive- System-D.

Engine oil- Shell Helix Ultra.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 15:39   #6020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

Fuel additive- System-D.

Thanks for the suggestion but the GM of Concorde Delhi (Mathura Road) told me that they use Castrol, so I bought one ltr Castrol can for the top ups on my long drives, though haven't got a chance to use it.

Please confirm if Castrol shall not be used.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 27th August 2015, 19:47   #6021
BHPian

Safari Central Locking

Hi Guys, central locking mechanism of my Tata Safari (2008) has been creating problems from quite a while. I have recently got in touch with Favara Car Accessories guy and he has recommended changing the entire system (Autocop). I need your opinion as to which one should be good and reliable in the long run. The Favara Car Accessories is quoting around 6K for Autocop.
Old 27th August 2015, 21:48   #6022
BANNED

Re: Safari Central Locking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundeepg71 View Post
Hi Guys, central locking mechanism of my Tata Safari (2008) has been creating problems from quite a while. I have recently got in touch with Favara Car Accessories guy and he has recommended changing the entire system (Autocop). I need your opinion as to which one should be good and reliable in the long run. The Favara Car Accessories is quoting around 6K for Autocop.
Entire system will set you back by a large sum of money and all locks, keys and the immobilizer system needs to be recoded.

But first what is the problem that you are facing? If it is worth solving then you save a lot of headache.
Old 27th August 2015, 23:01   #6023
Distinguished - BHPian

There was an autocop service center in railway parallel road near the race course many years back when our Omni had it installed. They were pretty professional and would repair things at an acceptable cost instead of replacing the system. Try contacting them using the number given with the manual and check if they can take a look at it. IMO they are the best persons to handle this issue.

If that doesnt work, only then replace the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Entire system will set you back by a large sum of money and all locks, keys and the immobilizer system needs to be recoded.
Not necessary. Since the remote locking is handled by autocop the replacement of the system does not require any change of locks or keys or stuff.
Old 28th August 2015, 00:33   #6024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

No No Don't suggest Shell Helix Ultra on Safari thread please ,
Helix Ultra is Diesel API-CF grade or API-SN petrol

http://www.shell.com/global/products...esel-5w40.html

Safari engine needs oil which meets or exceeds API-CH4 and for new Storme vericor it is API-CI4.

If you necessarily want to suggest synthetic then Mobil Delvac 1 is the only available synthetic oil in Indian market of right grade. Shell currently does not have any API-CH4 or higher grade fully synthetic oil in Indian market.

If you are looking from Shell stable then Shell Rimula R4 ( API CI4) is the right grade. I am using Shell Rimula R4 for last 25K Km and it is really good mineral oil

The T.A.S.S fills Casrol GTX Diesel which is now API-CI4 grade , Earlier Castrol GTX Diesel used to be API-CH4.
In my personal opinion Castrol GTX and Shell Rimula R4 are very similar and there is no marked difference in engine behaviour. Rimular R4 is more easily available outside T.A.S.S

Last edited by amitk26 : 28th August 2015 at 00:45.
Old 28th August 2015, 12:38   #6025
Senior - BHPian

Where is the water temperature sensor mounted in the DICOR 3.0l engine?

Funny indicator behaviour since morning today. First the needle wouldn't get off 0. After a few minutes it went to full ('high'), with a red lamp lighting up at the end of the scale. Switched off the engine and then on again - needle at 0, no red light. After filling diesel (have to switch engine off), the needle started going to 30%, then 60%, then full, then back to 0, and kept swinging indeterminately between these points. Stopped the car and checked coolant - all fine.

Want to first check whether the connector is seated well, before suspecting the actual sensor.
Old 28th August 2015, 14:14   #6026
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Please confirm if Castrol shall not be used.
Don't worry, you can definitely use Castrol or any other brand as long as they adhere to the oil specifications mentioned in the owner's manual.

However, I find Shell and Motul oils of a better quality compared to Castrol and out of the two, Shell is the easily available option, hence the suggestion.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 18:08   #6027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

But first what is the problem that you are facing? If it is worth solving then you save a lot of headache.
Thanks for the response. I got the address Autocop (India) Pvt. Ltd. as below -
Seems it is OEM fitment , should be of TATA only. Should I change the unit to autocop or something else?

#19/3, Ground & First Floor,
Railway Parallel Road,
Nehru Nagar
Near Seshadripuram College
Bangalore - 560020
Ph: 080 23563142 - 44..
Old 29th August 2015, 09:55   #6028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundeepg71 View Post
Safari central locking system is of Minda make
Contact Minda service engineer .

Don't switch to autocop some features such as follow me home and door ajar indicator may not work
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2015, 10:45   #6029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
If you are looking from Shell stable then Shell Rimula R4 ( API CI4) is the right grade. I am using Shell Rimula R4 for last 25K Km and it is really good mineral oil

The T.A.S.S fills Casrol GTX Diesel which is now API-CI4 grade , Earlier Castrol GTX Diesel used to be API-CH4.
In my personal opinion Castrol GTX and Shell Rimula R4 are very similar and there is no marked difference in engine behaviour. Rimular R4 is more easily available outside T.A.S.S
Rimula R4 is crappy oil. I have used Mobil and Shell on my TCIC and 3L they made the engine rough. Castrol GTX has proven to be the best oil out of Mobil, Shell Rimula R4 and Castrol GTX. The engine noise is less and engine runs very smooth. If using Rimula R4 I recommend using Bardahl oil additive, it really works for the money they charge.
Old 29th August 2015, 11:06   #6030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Rimula R4 is crappy oil. I have used Mobil and Shell on my TCIC and 3L they made the engine rough. Castrol GTX has proven to be the best oil out of Mobil, Shell Rimula R4 and Castrol GTX. The engine noise is less and engine runs very smooth. If using Rimula R4 I recommend using Bardahl oil additive, it really works for the money they charge.
Yes GTX is best however not easily available out side T.A.S.S at least Bangalore
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed