Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2015, 13:49   #6001
BHPian

Sent my truck to TASS after a long time and must say the service experience has improved a lot over the last couple of years.

The servicing guy identified following issues that required attention without any input from my side. They also promptly conducted various engine diagnostic tests (scanning, engine compression, etc) that I requested.
- Clutch adjustment.
- Front engine mountings change and rear mounting adjustment.
- Ball joints replacement.
- Steering column greasing.
- Disk pad and brake leather replacement (delayed it to next service).

The new engine mountings seem to have been improved in design by TATA as engine knock at shut down has become almost non-existent, even better than when the truck was new.

I've new found respect for TASS servicing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy;3765737
A couple of days back, a friend of mine had noticed the 'Check engine' light flash for a fleeting while. So, today I asked the SVC people to connect their diagnostic tool and check for any logged errors.
This was what the system threw up

[ATTACH
1397076[/ATTACH]

As is the norm with SVC fellows, all errors were promptly deleted and dismissed as a random occurring.
Are they just that? Or, do I have to be concerned about any?
If there are issues with the common rail pressure then the error will show up again when you drive your truck. If you still feel the issue requires immediate attention, you can also take your truck to Lucas Services for diagnosis which do the servicing for TVS-Delphi that make the fuel injection system for Dicor engines.

Last edited by ampere : 17th August 2015 at 09:28. Reason: Merged back to back posts
Old 16th August 2015, 14:04   #6002
BHPian

Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
They also promptly conducted various engine diagnostic tests (scanning, engine compression, etc) that I requested.
- Clutch adjustment.
- Front engine mountings change and rear mounting adjustment.
- Ball joints replacement.
- Steering column greasing.
- Disk pad and brake leather replacement (delayed it to next service).
Good. How much did they charge you for the engine diagnostic tests ?
I have a Dec 2008 Dicor which has had only one ECU update in all these years. From this thread, I believe there is another round of ECU update which could be useful. So far I am perfectly okay with the engine performance. But the new update, I am told, would improve low rpm performance.

Anyone here did any updates ?
Old 16th August 2015, 14:08   #6003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I have a Dec 2008 Dicor which has had only one ECU update in all these years. From this thread, I believe there is another round of ECU update which could be useful. So far I am perfectly okay with the engine performance. But the new update, I am told, would improve low rpm performance.

I'm not sure any ECU updates were done. The invoice didn't mention any. I got an ECU replacement a few months ago so it might already be flashed. The diagnostics were all done FOC as no errors showed up. They are all mentioned on invoice as FOC.
param22k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 14:13   #6004
BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure any ECU updates were done. The invoice didn't mention any. I got an ECU replacement a few months ago so it might already be flashed. The diagnostics were all done FOC as no errors showed up. They are all mentioned on invoice as FOC.
ECU updates are usually FOC. You got your ECU replaced ? Good Grief ! What happened to the ECU ?
Old 16th August 2015, 14:27   #6005
BHPian

Quote:
ECU updates are usually FOC. You got your ECU replaced ? Good Grief ! What happened to the ECU ?
Tell me about it Prowler. The ECU conked off because of shorting in wiring. A few months ago the truck had a lot of issues with wiring insulation coming off at multiple places. I had posted an advisory to Dicor owners to get their wiring thoroughly checked after 1.25-1.5k of riding, as preventive maintenance.
Thankfully, the entire engine layout and related fittings are much improved in the new Storme.
param22k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 21:22   #6006
Senior - BHPian

Param how much did you shell out for ECU? the electrical things is quiet tricky!

Offlate i have been experiencing, complete electrical shutoff along with engine when i do dim/dip, this does not always happen but sometimes and its scary! has someone here experienced this? and the solution?

As far as i think it maybe due to earthing issue or due to control switches, planning to get it checked tomorrow.

Quote:
Tell me about it Prowler. The ECU conked off because of shorting in wiring. A few months ago the truck had a lot of issues with wiring insulation coming off at multiple places. I had posted an advisory to Dicor owners to get their wiring thoroughly checked after 1.25-1.5k of riding, as preventive maintenance.
Thankfully, the entire engine layout and related fittings are much improved in the new Storme.
Old 17th August 2015, 04:35   #6007
Team-BHP Support

Ecu costs about 28000 or so. Had to get it replaced recently
Old 17th August 2015, 21:10   #6008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Param how much did you shell out for ECU? the electrical things is quiet tricky!
I got lucky and sourced a used ECU from scrapped vehicle for 13k.
Yup, your issues sound to be wiring or relay issue.
Old 18th August 2015, 09:13   #6009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Ecu costs about 28000 or so. Had to get it replaced recently
Tanveer Sir - What was the reason for the replacement of the ECU ? In some part of retrofitting, they installed some rubber cover to protect the ECU. Other than shorting in the wiring harness, ECUs tend to have infinite life. What is going wrong with Safari's ECU ?
Old 18th August 2015, 10:20   #6010
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Tanveer Sir - What was the reason for the replacement of the ECU ? In some part of retrofitting, they installed some rubber cover to protect the ECU. Other than shorting in the wiring harness, ECUs tend to have infinite life. What is going wrong with Safari's ECU ?
No idea. When it comes to safari breakdown things I have stopped looking for reason or logic.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 16:51   #6011
BHPian

Quote:

Hello Prowler,

Mine is 2010 BS4.
I had my ECU refreshed 15 days a ago (3rd Aug to be precise), during the recent service done for my car. No charges for ECU refresh.

Yes, Low RPM performmance has improved significantly, as compared to the previous setup. Engine runs richer on fuel (well at least seems like it).
krrrrrr sound & dead zone at around 1500 RPM is gone. But black puff of smoke does shows up sometimes. Rest Perfect.

I am not sure what version is this upgrade, but Service Advisor said it is the version that came out with last assembly line of Aria of Mar-14, before they moved Aria to Varicor from Dicor 2.2.

If anyone knows the method to check the version of this ECU version using OBD scanner, please let me know. I will check mine & revert with the version, so that you all can compare yours.

Regards,
Saurabh.

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 19th August 2015 at 16:53.
saurabh2711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 17:29   #6012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
Hello Prowler,
No charges for ECU refresh.

Yes, Low RPM performmance has improved significantly, as compared to the previous setup. Engine runs richer on fuel (well at least seems like it).
krrrrrr sound & dead zone at around 1500 RPM is gone. But black puff of smoke does shows up sometimes. Rest Perfect.

If anyone knows the method to check the version of this ECU version using OBD scanner, please let me know. I will check mine & revert with the version, so that you all can compare yours.
That's wonderful Saurabh. Thank you again. It will help in the hills - not that Safari is a slouch. But the turbo lag is noticeable in rarefied atmosphere. Tanveer Saab can help on finding the current version.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 08:33   #6013
BHPian

Hello seniors. Please tell me, My 2.2 L LX (Apr 11) was not used for the past 3 months and was parked at my garage. When i returned and tried to crank, the battery had died (obviously). Changed for and exide maint free for 5k. Then while on a drive, I realised AC has not been effective like the way it used to be. So, perhaps the car needs a visit to TASC or is there a DIY for making the things effective?
Old 21st August 2015, 10:49   #6014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by his-xc-lnc View Post
Hello seniors. Please tell me, My 2.2 L LX (Apr 11) was not used for the past 3 months and was parked at my garage. When i returned and tried to crank, the battery had died (obviously). Changed for and exide maint free for 5k. Then while on a drive, I realised AC has not been effective like the way it used to be. So, perhaps the car needs a visit to TASC or is there a DIY for making the things effective?
There is no DIY for AC issues. Just check that the compressor is running when you turn on the AC. You should hear a click and you should see the inner pulley of the Compressor running. If that is running, your gas may have leaked. A trip to TASS or a local car AC mechanic is required for top up of the gas.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 19:59   #6015
BHPian

Experts, need an advice. My Oct 2010, BS4 safari started making knocking sound at idle when a/c is switched ON. An outside mechanic told me that the sound is from the injectors and he suggested to go for an overhaul of injector. Now i left the vehicle for this repair but the injectors wont come out. He says its a press fit with a removable lock on top. He is suggesting to remove the head and route it to lathe though there is no guarantee that the injectors would be removed without damage. He has tried all methods including WD40 and other compounds for almost a week. Is there any work around without removing the head. Mine has done 1,20,000 kms so far.

Most Viewed