Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2015, 13:00   #5971
BHPian

Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L technical/Other problems/solutions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Turbo whistle is not exactly a sign of bad turbo, there can be a leak somewhere in air hoses. Check the turbo hoses.
Exactly. I am familiar with turbo whistles in that they give out a high pitched whine. But in this case, it sounds akin to when we blow a whistle i.e. much more audible. We also checked the hoses and connections for the intake and there were no superficial leaks.

BTW, if anyone needs to know any technical aspects of the 2008+ Safari 2.2 Dicor, just let me know.
Old 27th June 2015, 13:45   #5972
BHPian

Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post
Are Tata's DICOR engines plagued with injection issues? First, it was the Indigo XL with the 1.4 that had its injectors busted/malfunctioned and now it's the Safari with the 2.2
Attachment 1386574
Is this the result of a leak on the exhaust side of the turbo?
The Delphi injectors are very sensitive to bad fuel. If you are having issues with the injectors my suggestion would be to get them serviced once. If that doesn't fix it, just bite the bullet and go for replacement. I've had injector issues for 3 years now and have tried everything from servicing to kit changes, etc. In the end no kind of repairs work in long run and the weak injectors just have to be changed.

In the picture, is the soot carbon powder or fuel spray? Could be leak before or after the oil separator? Were your injectors removed for checkup? Any visible fuel on the head? Check for fuel leakage in inlet pipe from common rail to injectors and also the plastic injector outlet pipes.

Forgot to mention, AFAIK turbo exhaust shouldn't have a lot of soot. So could be a pre-catalytic leak?

Last edited by param22k : 27th June 2015 at 13:55.
Old 27th June 2015, 20:43   #5973
Senior - BHPian

Re: Looking for old style ORVM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Need entire assembly. Mirror glass is fine- the pivot (swivel joint with base) is broken :-(
Quote:
Guys,

I need to replace my RHS ORVM (old style w/o LED blinkers). ...
Update- finally after searching and waiting for months, got the OEM mirror from Concorde, Pune today. Thanks to my SA at Concorde, Mr. Amit S. The Assembly + fitment cost me about 4.3k. Plus, I vinyl wrapped the LHS ORVM to match the matt finish of the new one. I have the old mirror (outer shell and mirror glass and swivel motor, all intact). If anyone needs it PM me, will be happy to donate.

Cheers,
-BJ
bj96 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 11:44   #5974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
The Delphi injectors are very sensitive to bad fuel. If you are having issues with the injectors my suggestion would be to get them serviced once. If that doesn't fix it, just bite the bullet and go for replacement. I've had injector issues for 3 years now and have tried everything from servicing to kit changes, etc. In the end no kind of repairs work in long run and the weak injectors just have to be changed.

In the picture, is the soot carbon powder or fuel spray? Could be leak before or after the oil separator? Were your injectors removed for checkup? Any visible fuel on the head? Check for fuel leakage in inlet pipe from common rail to injectors and also the plastic injector outlet pipes.

Forgot to mention, AFAIK turbo exhaust shouldn't have a lot of soot. So could be a pre-catalytic leak?
One of the injectors was replaced at the local FNG but I doubt if the new I2C code was configured into the ECU. I've got an appt. with Concorde Motors this Thursday so let's see what they diagnose.

Also, the soot in the pic is carbon particulate and you are right - it appears to be a pre-catalytic leak. What should I do to keep it in check until Thu?

Quote:
Update- finally after searching and waiting for months, got the OEM mirror from Concorde, Pune today. .....
If anyone needs it PM me, will be happy to donate.

Cheers,
-BJ
Glad to know that you got it. Since you have already have the new one in hand, would you be kind enough to check if the mirror itself has a part no. stamped on it? I need just the mirrors for both sides as they have quite some damage.
Turbo_Torq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 12:59   #5975
BHPian

Quote:
One of the injectors was replaced at the local FNG but I doubt if the new I2C code was configured into the ECU. I've got an appt. with Concorde Motors this Thursday so let's see what they diagnose.

Also, the soot in the pic is carbon particulate and you are right - it appears to be a pre-catalytic leak. What should I do to keep it in check until Thu?
Is it a brand new injector or a refurbished one? The code input might help.

You have to identify where the leak is. The solution would depend on whether the leak is due to a crack in a pipe somewhere or there is a leaking pipe joint. Your FNG should be able to fix it for you. But if the leak is from a pipe or joint I would advise replacement because pre-catalytic exhaust is supposed to have some nasty stuff which you don't want around your vehicle. TC.
Old 29th June 2015, 21:46   #5976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....check if the mirror itself has a part no. stamped on it? I need just the mirrors for both sides....
No, I didn't notice any part number stamped just on the mirror glass. All the numbers are stamped on the back (body) of ORVM. It is April, 2014 manufactured- so I believe TML might still be ordering from supplier (Enginetech) and keeping in the stock.

-BJ
Old 30th June 2015, 10:53   #5977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...It is April, 2014 manufactured-...
Sorry, it is actually packed in Jun 2015. So very recent stock.
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-safari_orvm_pkg.jpg
-BJ
Old 4th July 2015, 01:06   #5978
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, it is actually packed in Jun 2015. So very recent stock.
Attachment 1387883
-BJ
The ORVMs have a heating function??

BTW, thanks for confirming the date of manufacture.
Old 4th July 2015, 14:21   #5979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The ORVMs have a heating function?
Yes, they do. Operated by the same switch which operates the rear de-fogger.
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 22:11   #5980
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Have been observing this issue of late - when I drive my Safari over a big hump or a deep pothole, I hear a 'khat' sound right below my feet. It feels exactly like something is hitting the floor of the car, albeit not too hard.

This does not occur when driving over a small hump or shallow undulations. I am taking her to TASS tomorrow for investigation but wanted some tips before I do so.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by cool_dube : 17th July 2015 at 22:12.
Old 20th July 2015, 09:26   #5981
BHPian

After spending more than a couple weeks at TASS, they have finally asked us to pick up the Safari today. According to them, there was nothing wrong with the engine or the turbo and required mild servicing. The gearbox had problems and required an overhaul alongwith the braking system since they say that the ABS sensor was malfunctioning.

The SA states that the transmission system is devoid of any sensors for the ECU to detect a malfunction. However, I hadn't encountered any trouble codes for the braking and/or ABS system and an error in the same should have been apparent through a warning on the dash and/or scanning.

I'll get more details today; is it alright if I ask them for the specific DTCs that showed up during their scans? Would they hesitate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Yes, they do. Operated by the same switch which operates the rear de-fogger.
Thanks. +1 level of enlightenment!
Old 21st July 2015, 08:32   #5982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Until you can get the error code(cheap ELM reader will do), its difficult to say anything. It could be rail pressure issue, sensor issue, fuel pump issue or even ECU issue.
Find out if anybody in your city owns one.
I always advise people to spend those 10-12$ and buy a bluetooth OBD-II dongle from ebay or aliexpress.
Look at the EGR. Most of the check engine light issues are EGR related. A simple cleaning or replacing the part (it costs some 300/400 only) will solve the issue. When the check engine light comes on, the ECU puts the engine in a 'limp home mode'. It restricts the power not to damage the engine, hence you find it sluggish.
An interesting observation made using OBD2 scanner on a dicor 2.2. The wheel horse power measured at about 4000 rpm was about 120 bhp, however when turbo was disconnected (some turbo issues and debugging), the wheel horsepower came down to about 70bhp. That is the importance of a turbo in this engine!!!
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 11:41   #5983
BHPian

A mechanic tried to pass off a company reconditioned injector as brand new to me. Another friendly mechanic gave me the following information regarding differentiating a brand new injector from company reconditioned (aka recon).

1. The plastic storage cover on top of injector is yellow in brand new ones and orange in recons.
2. The recons have "RE" mentioned after the injector code on sticker (refer to image). This is not mentioned on brand new ones.

Please check this when going to buy new injectors from TASS or market.

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-dsc_0042-medium.jpg
See the clear mentioning of RECON and RE on the reconditioned injector. Check for these when buying brand new injectors.
param22k is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 21:39   #5984
Senior - BHPian

This isn't about the Safari, but since the Xenon is unknown to both the TASS, as well as FNGs, I'm posting my query here.
I had taken my Xenon to the SVC for clutch fluid replacement. At first they asked me to take it to the Tata commercial vehicles dealer (mine's an XT), saying that Xenon is no longer sold by the passenger section. Upon my insisting, the accepted the vehicle.

A couple of days back, a friend of mine had noticed the 'Check engine' light flash for a fleeting while. So, today I asked the SVC people to connect their diagnostic tool and check for any logged errors.
This was what the system threw up

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-img_20150729_130158.jpg

As is the norm with SVC fellows, all errors were promptly deleted and dismissed as a random occurring.
Are they just that? Or, do I have to be concerned about any?

Car: Xenon XT 4x4 2010 pre facelift model
Kms run: 45000
Problems: super hard clutch, faulty tacho, rough engine note, body shudder at low speeds.

I migrated from a Punto, so some of the problems might be nothing, but with the super scarity of Xenon, I have no way to tell.
Old 30th July 2015, 10:36   #5985
BHPian

Hi All,
Hope you all might be aware but just for heads up:
Tata has organised Monsoon check up camp for Passenger vehicles from 28th Jul to 2nd Aug. on all TASS.
12.5% discount on labour & parts for vehicles older than 3years.
Upto 20% for less than three years.

Regards,
Saurabh

MODS: Please delete this if found inappropriate for this forum.

Most Viewed