Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2015, 12:22   #5941
BANNED

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
1: Failed turbo, replaced, still facing power lag & a few other under warranty replacement.

2: Frequent Malfunction lights. Pops up every 15-20 days. The showroom clears it everytime he reports it. Without even checking the cause & trying to rectify his issue.
I suggest your friend to spend 900-1100 bucks and get himself an OBD2 reader. Helps a lot and keeps the need to visit TASS for troubleshooting. If one has an OBD reader, one can check the error code, search the database for details, go to TASS and get that corrected directly.

Lesser questions asked and answered!

1. If the turbo is replaced and still there is power lag, get the plumbing checked for leakages and also clean the EGR.

2. If TASS just rests the codes blindly without solving the problem, the DTC will reappear. Suggest you take the car to an FNG for better solutions. Reasons like dust etc are excuses to avoid warranty replacements!

When will Tata learn!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 15:12   #5942
BHPian

Hi,

My Safari has clocked almost 66k Kms till now. I was earlier getting it serviced every 15k kms as I was mostly doing Highway Drives.
But the last 6k kms have been a city drive and that too in Pune Traffic. Should I get a Small Service done and get the oils changed at around 68k?

Also, I am hearing a tring tring sound during cold start. It seems to be coming from somewhere inside the engine bay but am unable to locate the source. Is it the timing belt that is making this noise?
Has anyone else also experienced it. I am planning to make a small audio and put it here.

Thanks,
Ajit
Old 26th May 2015, 15:43   #5943
Team-BHP Support

What is the life/recommended replacement interval for the EGR valve? With the safari clocking 120K+, I am worried about this. Do not want to delete EGR.
Old 26th May 2015, 16:44   #5944
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
What is the life/recommended replacement interval for the EGR valve? With the safari clocking 120K+, I am worried about this. Do not want to delete EGR.
Are you facing any issues like excessive smoking, low performance, low FE on your Safari?

Get the EGR cleaned and see if it is opening and closing as required! If yes then there is nothing to worry.
Old 28th May 2015, 10:04   #5945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
Hi,

My Safari has clocked almost 66k Kms till now. .. Should I get a Small Service done and get the oils changed at around 68k?

Also, I am hearing a tring tring sound during cold start. It seems to be coming from somewhere inside the engine bay but am unable to locate the source. Is it the timing belt that is making this noise?

Thanks,
Ajit
You can follow the time scale if your car has not done 10k within the year. Dicor requires routine service every year or about 10-15k whichever comes early.

You can ask TASS to check the timing belt to look for signs of a worn belt. They will change the timing belt and the water pump for around Rs. 20k

Don't take chances with timing belts.
Old 29th May 2015, 12:06   #5946
BHPian

Mine is a 2007 Tata safari 2.2L - 1st batch.

Has done 90,000 km.

Facing few problems lately-
- The suspension is hard and is killing my back. Even in city. Do I go for a complete suspension overhaul? What would be the Cost?
- Black smoke on acceleration.
- The beast shudders at high speed. 80 - 100 km
- The beast misses on 5th gear, when I go easy with my foot.
- Clanging sound on extreme turning and when low gear change.
- Any thing else I need to overhaul/replace.

Finally, where do I get it done in Gurgaon?

Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 12:43   #5947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
Mine is a 2007 Tata safari 2.2L -

- The suspension is hard and is killing my back. Even in city. Do I go for a complete suspension overhaul? What would be the Cost?

Thanks
- C0mplete suspension overhaul can cost you 25000/- plus labour + 5000 for struts if needed. source : http://www.99rpm.com/tata/front-wish...fari-2008.html
- Smoke on acceleration: My car does it after 3000RPM. (If that helps). But need expert advice.
- Shudder: if you mean steering/car vibrates > please check your tyres. They may need replacement or Balancing. Some Bridgestone tyres do develop bubbles/blob which result in vibration.
- If the clanging sound is audible even on stationary car, when you release clutch to park your car, clutch may need attention. Is your clutch too hard?
If this is from suspension, it will be sorted out when suspension is overhauled or you can try greasing all the moving parts on suspensions.

I have faced shudder & Clanging sound on my safari as well (2010 EX). Tyre change + balancing & some adjustment to Clutch Release bearing did the job.

I have no info on other information you are looking for.

Regards,
Saurabh

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 29th May 2015 at 12:49.
Old 29th May 2015, 13:55   #5948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... - Black smoke on acceleration. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
... - Smoke on acceleration: My car does it after 3000RPM. ...
Differentiate between light smoke / momentary puff of smoke on hard acceleration (which goes away when RPM comes down when you change gear), and heavy billowing black smoke.

In the first case, you can use System D or such cleaner in a tankful (2-3 times, every 2 or 3 full tanks), and make it a practice to periodically gun the engine for some time, or doing more than 80 on a highway (this cleans the deposits in the exhaust).

If black billowing smoke, the injectors are unable to keep up at that RPM (remaining more open than closed - excess fuel dumped). This needs injector servicing (need to be removed). Sometimes even this goes away with System D, so check before coming to a conclusion.
DerAlte is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 06:14   #5949
BHPian

Quote:

Has done 90,000 km.

Thanks
Suspension overhaul- bushes front upper/lower and rear. Ball joints and ends would cost 12k to 15k outside TASS.

For missing. Try system d. Change sedimentor. Replace fuel filter. Clean air filter. If nothing works need to get injectors cleaned.

Shudder may be suspension ends or wheel alignment. Balancing. Old tyres.

Check timing and other belts. Coolant pipes. Vacuum pipes. Get engine flush done.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 08:38   #5950
BHPian

Quote:

Has done 90,000 km.

Thanks

Try Delta Motors on the sec 56 road. I have had good experience with them till the time I had my Indica. I was really disappointed with Dhingra motors near sec 14. Triumph motors on nh8 near hero Honda chowk is another good workshop

My Indica used to make a clung noise over bad roads and speed breakers. It turned out to be a loose silencer. So maybe it's a simple fix for you too

All the best and do post the results and the costs

Even though I don't own a Safari but my head still turns whenever I see it
Old 30th May 2015, 09:29   #5951
Senior - BHPian

I have got a new irritating niggle in my Storme. It has started after driving down atrocious no roads, the right hand side middle seat latch is making squeaking sounds. No amount of lubrication is helping. Any tips?
Old 31st May 2015, 14:21   #5952
BHPian

Scanned her again whilst running (we have been using a replacement vehicle for a couple of weeks now) and it showed a new code: P0299

It translates to boost control sensor error. Are these signs of a failed turbo or just the electrical components/connections?

BTW, does the Safari come with a VGT?

Last edited by Turbo_Torq : 31st May 2015 at 14:22.
Old 3rd June 2015, 12:45   #5953
Team-BHP Support

Yes, the Safari 2.2 comes with a VGT.

Now coming to the issue at hand
P1190 error code, vehicle does not start and service light keeps blinking.

Last evening, after EGR clean and fuel tank clean, I took a test drive. The performance was much better, and the engine was smoother. I was hoping that the rail pressure sensor error 1191 would also go away.

But this new error 1190 is slightly different. Eventually, took the safari to Oberoi cars noida on a flat bed truck. The error has Vext at the end. I assume this means no voltage?
Old 6th June 2015, 14:47   #5954
BHPian

I purchased the Pro version of Torque yesterday and immediately gave it a try for the Safari. After initial reluctance and a few tries switching on/off the adapter, it connected without a glitch. To my surprise, it started showing a few more parameters viz. Engine rpm, vehicle speed, hp to torque ratio, MAF reading and most importantly, boost pressure. The maximum boost achieved on a 1st gear, pedal-to-metal run was 4.4 psi. Is this normal or is it low?

I'd like to mention that TorquePro also registered a total of 4 DTCs - P0201, P0299, P0245 and P0500. During our short trip, the CEL came on and the power was greatly reduced. Now I made a blunder here - instead of saving a log file of the fault codes, I erred and erased the fault codes. The CEL went off but after doing a diagnostic again, it only gave out a single DTC i.e. P0299
I'm concerned that the fault codes were erased without the fault being rectified. Will this come to the notice of TASS when they perform their own diagnostics?

Quote:
Now coming to the issue at hand
P1190 error code, vehicle does not start and service light keeps blinking.

Last evening, after EGR clean and fuel tank clean, I took a test drive. The performance was much better, and the engine was smoother. I was hoping that the rail pressure sensor error 1191 would also go away.

But this new error 1190 is slightly different. Eventually, took the safari to Oberoi cars noida on a flat bed truck. The error has Vext at the end. I assume this means no voltage?
Please keep us updated about the status of your vehicle and the exact fault that was/will be rectified. Also, how do I go about cleaning the EGR system?
Old 6th June 2015, 20:40   #5955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Last evening, after EGR clean
Can you please tell how EGR cleaning was done is it just blowing compressed air or something more than that ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks