Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2015, 20:09   #5911
Senior - BHPian

Re: RHS ORVM broke

Guys,

Need advice. After a longish ride (~650kms) when I parked the beast in my parking and folded ORVMs, RHS made a "khat" sound and its swivel rod is sheared!. Now it is turning (closing/opening) without much effort. There is no other external damage and positioning motor works fine. Mine is pre-facelift ORVM w/o side blinkers.

Do I need to replace the entire ORVM or can it be fixed somehow? I checked 99rpm.com and it is listed at INR 3717/- :-( Can I DIY install if I need to buy the set? I will not get it painted, instead vinyl wrap or get chrome covers.

tia,
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 21st April 2015 at 20:12. Reason: typos
Old 22nd April 2015, 03:29   #5912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Guys,

Need advice. After a longish ride (~650kms) when I parked the beast in my parking and folded ORVMs, RHS made a "khat" sound and its swivel rod is sheared!. Now it is turning (closing/opening) without much effort. There is no other external damage and positioning motor works fine. Mine is pre-facelift ORVM w/o side blinkers.

Do I need to replace the entire ORVM or can it be fixed somehow? I checked 99rpm.com and it is listed at INR 3717/- :-( Can I DIY install if I need to buy the set? I will not get it painted, instead vinyl wrap or get chrome covers.

tia,
-BJ
This is repairable, I don't know the details. My local mechanic removed the mirror and got it repaired for me.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 07:46   #5913
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
This is repairable, I don't know the details. ....
Thanks Ankur. Delhi is the capital of Jugaad , not sure it will be easy in Pune. Will try some FNG if they can manage to repair it. By the way I found that removing ORVM is easy DIY- pry open the the internal small panel that holds tweeter on the door, behind that three screws hold the external shroud of ORVM.

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 22nd April 2015 at 07:48.
Old 22nd April 2015, 09:44   #5914
BHPian

Well, today the sedimenter problem came up again, the Rev count above 1100 and sedimenter light ON-if I put the car in gear it seems to accelerate on its own. Another peculiar thing, while driving it to TASS the light went off for a while all normal, then soon came ON again. Is this now an issue with the sedimenter or with the sensor?

Edit:obd scanner doesn't show fault codes.

Last edited by richie4u : 22nd April 2015 at 09:51.
Old 26th April 2015, 10:45   #5915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
You have done the right process.
Many thanks 'ameaa' for the response. Your reply gives me the courage to further explore the possibility of removing the steering wheel myself.

Let me find some free time and try again. Just wondering what tool should be used to hit the corners of the steering wheel, as using a hammer etc might cause some damage.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 27th April 2015 at 05:12. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 26th April 2015, 11:01   #5916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_k_u View Post
Many thanks 'ameaa' for the response. Your reply gives me the courage to further explore the possibility of removing the steering wheel myself.

Let me find some free time and try again. Just wondering what tool should be used to hit the corners of the steering wheel, as using a hammer etc might cause some damage.
Bare hands are enough... No hammering required..

Last edited by benbsb29 : 27th April 2015 at 05:12. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 27th April 2015, 11:50   #5917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_k_u View Post

I don't know why exactly you want to remove it but avoid if you can centering the steering is while fitting it back is not an easy job.
There is nothing behind the steering wheel the connectors for the horn are already exposed once you open the horn pad.

How every if you must then tap lightly with both hands on back of steering.
Old 27th April 2015, 11:54   #5918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
DIY- pry open the the internal small panel that holds tweeter on the door, behind that three screws hold the external shroud of ORVM.

-BJ
Can you please post a pic on how to pray open the small panel , I wanted to open but somehow could not do it.
Old 27th April 2015, 12:57   #5919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Can you please post a pic on how to pray open the small panel ...
Sure, I will once I do this. Busy at work at present. Meanwhile try this- loosen the door panel (or remove it) from window at the top, so that, there is some space at the bottom of tweeter trim to pull out. Now pull the tweeter panel (may be a flat screwdriver wrapped with soft cloth) out gently. It is a push fit (with some clips). Behind you will notice the actual screws which hold the ORVM plastic shroud.

Hth,
-BJ
Old 30th April 2015, 11:15   #5920
Senior - BHPian

BD Sir this is for your attention

I got the rear differential oil changed recently at T.A.S.S I have a 2 wheel drive.
After 3-4 days I just looked at the bill the bill mentions Castrol 85W140 with 7% Anglamol .
IIRC friction modifier is needed only in differential with LSD and only 4X4 Safari and Xenon 2WD has rear differential with LSD.

Is there any harm if I continue with friction modifier. My line of thinking is that gears in rear diff are same only difference is wet clutch of LSD so friction modifier should cause no harm.

Will this cause faster wear of the gears in rear differential ?
Old 7th May 2015, 11:09   #5921
BHPian

Hi All,

My friend is facing major issues with his VX 2.2 Dicor.
Failed turbo, MIL light going ON frequently. Followed by a long list. Takes his car to National Auto Wheels Pune for service regularly with no success on the issue.
Wants to escalate this to Tata's Higher authorities.
Please, can anyone who has done such escalations earlier share the contact details of some responsible person from Tata.

Thanks,
Saurabh.
Old 7th May 2015, 17:18   #5922
BHPian

Hi - I intend to install two auxiallry lamps on my Safari (Hella 3003). I had fixed it earlier using metal plates which were then attached to a heavy metal structure around the AC condenser. But on road while driving, the lights kept vibrating up and down and was of no use.

I do not want to install a bull bar on the front where I could have otherwise fixed the auxillary lamps, since this affects safety systems in the car (mine has Airbags). I was reading about the Carryboy product on this forum. I have the following questions:

1. If I install carry boy nudge guard, will it affect the chassis or safety systems in case of an accident?

2. Is it possible to fix my auxillary lamps on the carry boy?

3. Will the auxillary lamps vibrate on the road or will they have a fixed throw of light?

TIA
Old 8th May 2015, 10:41   #5923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravdebiswas View Post
Hi - I intend to install two auxiallry lamps on my Safari (Hella 3003)...
I do not want to install a bull bar.. I was reading about the Carryboy product on this forum. I have the following questions:

1. If I install ... of light?

TIA
Hello souravdebiswas,

I had similar query which tsk1979 answered as below.. hope this helps. My choice was M-Tek Magnum. Was facing same issues of vibration & lights going lose with mind of their own.

You can also look for "Josepeter's" safari. He too has installed Hella after drilling bumpers in front of the front grill. So no need of any bull bars. With some good modifications too.

I haven't installed it yet. . Removed the lights completely & waiting for some better option.

Also requesting you to please share the picture of the product you want to install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If your car has Airbags, then its always a bad idea.
However, if it does not, you have 2 options
1. Chasis - This will bypass the crumple zones and not a good idea
2. Beam behind the bumper - There is this metal beam right behind the plastic bumper. Use this for mounting. you do not loose any crumple zones as a result, except for thin plastic. So no significant disadvantage during crash.
Old 9th May 2015, 22:37   #5924
Team-BHP Support

Over the past few days I have noticed this happening.
Engine suddenly loses power. On shifting to neutral RPM rapidly approaches Zero, engine shuts down, service light blinks. Restart is seamless however.

I checked for error codes, I am getting
P1190 - This is vacuum leak or something?
P0642 - This may be happening due to engine RPM falling then then the reference voltage low getting triggered.

Any ideas? I am unable to find Tata Specific meanings of these codes.
Old 10th May 2015, 11:56   #5925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I checked for error codes, I am getting
P1190 - This is vacuum leak or something?
P0642 - This may be happening due to engine RPM falling then then the reference voltage low getting triggered.

Any ideas? I am unable to find Tata Specific meanings of these codes.
Hi Tanveer, can you try the "OBD Doctor Pro" Android app? I found it to correctly convey the description for the 2 error codes on our eCS (no error codes on the Safari, yet, but assuming that the firmware might be identical).

Most Viewed