Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2015, 16:11   #5896
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hey people, A strange issue came up yesterday night, started the car to return back home, reversed it and was supposed to slot it into gear I see the rpm climb to 1200 or so and the sedimentor light come on. The car is in neutral but its accelerating until 1200 which came back to normal as soon as I put in gear and left the clutch and the sedimentor light too went off.

So thinking there too much water in the sedimentor, I drained the sedimentor which emptied to almost a litre of its contents. Started the car again, the car idled for less then a minute that too the RPM needle was kind of shaky and the car died and after that the car refused to start. I pressed the balloon to manually pump fuel to the engine(Present in the hood near the diesel filter, Dont know the technical name for it) and tried to start the car and the car starts with no trouble BUT again the same sedimentor light is on and the RPM needle is up-to 1200.

Went to the sedimentor and drained it again and shockingly another 1ltr of its contents were emptied and then tried the car and the problem didn't return back.

Can you please help me out as to what is this problem exactly? Can the sedimentor fill up again as such within moments of emptying it before and what are the contents of the sedimentor-is it water or diesel cause it does smell like it? If this is a problem then what should I get checked out?

Edit: the car was serviced recently by a FNG could this have to do with the fuel filter being installed wrong or something?

Last edited by richie4u : 19th April 2015 at 16:12.
Old 19th April 2015, 21:29   #5897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_k_u View Post
Hi fellow

Have anybody here tried/ seen removing the steering wheel of Safari?
You have done the right process. You need to hit the steering pretty hard on four corners for it to become loose from the slotted rack. Once loose you can just pull it out freely. Always leave the nut loose on the steering rod till the steering becomes free or else you may risk an injury. Other option is to use a puller..

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Hey people, A strange issue came up yesterday night, started the car to return back home, reversed it and was supposed to slot it into gear I see the rpm climb to 1200
I am no expert but seems to be related to diesel quality if the problem didn't surface again. Have you ever replaced your rear sedimenter?
Filter installation can be checked as it has arrow printed on top of the filter case indicating diesel flow direction. So the pipe coming from tank should be inlet for filter, outlet should be to engine and one more pipe for return line or overflow.. Three connections are quick disconnect couplings which locks once pressed. Any improper connection will suck air into the system.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th April 2015 at 08:39. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 19th April 2015, 23:55   #5898
BHPian

@ameaa Thank you for your response,the sedimenter has not been replaced till now, I suspect the same too cause I refueled on Thursday from a pump I do not go to normally. Anyways went on a long drive today but the problem didn't return.Hopefully it doesn't come back, will keep you guys informed.

Just for information is it possible for the sedimenter to get full within minutes of emptying its contents, does it mean the fuel was mixed so bad?
Old 20th April 2015, 06:50   #5899
BHPian

Quote:
@ameaa Just for information is it possible for the sedimenter to get full within minutes of emptying its contents, does it mean the fuel was mixed so bad?
Sedimenter will fill as soon as you prime it with the manual pump which is a black rubber similar to a small balloon. Fuel will not flow out to the engine unless it is full.
Old 20th April 2015, 07:52   #5900
BHPian

Just for information is it possible for the sedimenter to get full within minutes of emptying its contents, does it mean the fuel was mixed so bad?[/quote]
+1 do you have a provision to drain fuel from rear sedimenter? I checked up mine and I couldn't find anything. But the light sensor is only at the rear.
Old 20th April 2015, 08:42   #5901
BHPian

Quote:
Hey people, A strange issue came up yesterday night, started the car to return back home, reversed it and was supposed to slot it into gear I see the rpm climb to 1200 or so and the sedimentor light come on. The car is in neutral but its accelerating until 1200 which came back to normal as soon as I put in gear and left the clutch and the sedimentor light too went off.

So thinking there too much water in the sedimentor, I drained the sedimentor which emptied to almost a litre of its contents. Started the car again, the car idled for less then a minute that too the RPM needle was kind of shaky and the car died and after that the car refused to start. I pressed the balloon to manually pump fuel to the engine(Present in the hood near the diesel filter, Dont know the technical name for it) and tried to start the car and the car starts with no trouble BUT again the same sedimentor light is on and the RPM needle is up-to 1200.

Went to the sedimentor and drained it again and shockingly another 1ltr of its contents were emptied and then tried the car and the problem didn't return back.

Can you please help me out as to what is this problem exactly? Can the sedimentor fill up again as such within moments of emptying it before and what are the contents of the sedimentor-is it water or diesel cause it does smell like it? If this is a problem then what should I get checked out?

Edit: the car was serviced recently by a FNG could this have to do with the fuel filter being installed wrong or something?
U should attach obd scanner and get for code.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 10:28   #5902
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Sedimenter will always fill up with diesel. When there is water, first water comes out and then diesel.
If you car has done 100,000kms, replace sedimenter.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 11:27   #5903
BHPian

@tsk1979 My vehicle has just crosses some 65+K odd kilometres, is it necessary for the sedimenter to be replaced now itself cause as per the book its 1L kms. and above? Can this also have to do with the wire of the sedimenter? As of today morning the problem didn't return so hope it stays that way.

@ankur_gupta10, thank you for the suggestion, I will connect the OBD scanner that I have to see if it reports any error codes.
Old 20th April 2015, 11:27   #5904
BHPian

Hello experts,

I own a Safari Storme. There is a little problem with its steering/suspension/axel, which I'm not able to find out.

Problem:

1. Whenever I steer to the right (completely) and go over a speed breaker or over any thing (a pothole etc), a clanking/creaking noise comes up.

I showed this to the A.S.S and they tested it with steering right and hard breaking and the noise was reproduced. Basically the right arm, shocker has to do some travelling up and down.

Now the A.S.S. opening up everything including the brakes, arms, shocker, and found nothing wrong. The mechanic just took out the break pads and sanded them and fitted everything back. The nose was gone for a few days, but it is back again.

2. My car is habitual of going left no matter what.
Ive got the wheel balancing and alignment done twice and I fill the right air pressure.
The steering is also tilt a little on the right.

Can someone experienced with these problem resolutions help me ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 20th April 2015, 11:27   #5905
BHPian

Experts, please advice how to correct caster on safari. Is there any adjustment available?
Thx
Old 20th April 2015, 16:55   #5906
BHPian

Does elm 327 mini Bluetooth obd2 adaptor work with 2.2? Which android app to use?
Old 20th April 2015, 18:07   #5907
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
Does elm 327 mini Bluetooth obd2 adaptor work with 2.2? Which android app to use?
Torque App try the free version and later one if it does work then go for the full version that costs 250 bucks via the play store.
Old 20th April 2015, 23:48   #5908
Senior - BHPian

Richie4u get the diesel tank cleaned once, specially if you live in coastal area.

http://www.oillab.co.nz/diesel_bug_explained
Old 21st April 2015, 15:09   #5909
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@tsk1979 My vehicle has just crosses some 65+K odd kilometres, is it necessary for the sedimenter to be replaced now itself cause as per the book its 1L kms. and above?.
If the warning light comes even after cleaning, either the wire connection is faulty, or sedimenter is faulty.
Before replacing, try with sedimenter from another vehicle and see.
Old 21st April 2015, 17:37   #5910
BHPian

@amitk26 ,@tsk1979 thanks for your inputs. As ankur_gupta had suggested, I scanned the ECU for any codes. It returned a code as "P2269-Water in fuel condition".

Considering the sedimenter dash light didn't come back since the time i cleaned it twice a couple of days back, is this just a log or is this a continuous error which needs to be looked into? ,I did clear the code from the ECU just to see if it showed up again and it didn't. Please advise.

Most Viewed