Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2015, 22:48   #5806
Ovi

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Already done an overhaul. The play seems to be from the steering cross. I guess, new steering cross on next service!
I had a similar problem with my Safari, the death wobble used to come whenever I used to go fast over road undulations. In my case the tie rods were changed, so worth having a look there?

Cheers
Ovi
Ovi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 12:40   #5807
Team-BHP Support

Looks like Universal joint of the steering system as the steering rattles too.
Have asked Aristo to source in.
But more trouble.
While coming back on the transport leg at Agra, the service light lit up. Now it switches on and off randomly, often staying on for extended intervals.
Here is the Error code
P0102
Mass or volume air flow circuit
Signal too small
Confirmed DTC
P1101
Unknown fault

Confirmed DTC
P0000
Unknown fault

Confirmed DTC

Any idea?
Old 2nd February 2015, 13:15   #5808
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like Universal joint of the steering system as the steering rattles too.
Have asked Aristo to source in.
But more trouble.
While coming back on the transport leg at Agra, the service light lit up. Now it switches on and off randomly, often staying on for extended intervals.
Here is the Error code
P0102
Mass or volume air flow circuit
Signal too small
Confirmed DTC
P1101
Unknown fault

Confirmed DTC
P0000
Unknown fault

Confirmed DTC

Any idea?
Check connector behind the battery. it may be loose. You can easily identify it as one red wire from battery is going to that connector
Old 3rd February 2015, 19:14   #5809
BHPian

Hey guys want some small help, I managed to crack one of my rear fog lamps. I bought a replacement and want to do a DIY but dont know how to get access to remove the same. I tried from underneath the vehicle but the chassis is blocking access so how is it actually removed?
Old 3rd February 2015, 22:39   #5810
BHPian

So this is it. After riding my beast for close to 2 years, I have the first problem knocking at my door.

Somewhere in early January, while starting the beast in the morning the battery simply turned out a lazy maniac like my Tennis coach. Initially I though it to be because of the cold and it still possibly could be the reason. It took around 10-12 revs for the engine to come to life. Then I thought; hell it can't be because of cold alone. Even in places like Leh, it hardly took beyond 6 cranks to start.

Unfortunately the problem reappeared the next day. To my horror and I don't even want to wish that way, but the battery seems to have drained out for all good money. Once the car starts, it never gives any starting trouble through the day, though the start is little lagged. You know the difference between a flamboyant Virat Kohli innings and a scratchy one?

Now I wonder, how on earth a new battery can go for a toss in just about 2 years? Or am I again missing something with Tata Safari in particular? Anyone having faced this trouble and lived to tell the tell out here?

Please do advice. Do I need to drag the beast to nearest TAAS and got it checked for the entire starting mechanism or call it a day and buy a new battery?

Only worry - if the fault line is elsewhere, the new battery would meet the same fate soon and I certainly want to avoid this.

This is a help cry and waiting eagerly for that relief.
Old 3rd February 2015, 22:44   #5811
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
So this is it. After riding my beast for close to 2 years, I have the first problem knocking at my door..
Go to a battery shop and get the cells checked. If they are fine, go to TASS. After all the car must be in warranty, right?
Old 4th February 2015, 11:43   #5812
BHPian

Quote:
So this is it. After riding my beast for close to 2 years, I have the first problem knocking at my door.

Somewhere in early January, while starting the beast in the morning the battery simply turned out a lazy maniac like my Tennis coach. Initially I though it to be because of the cold and it still possibly could be the reason. It took around 10-12 revs for the engine to come to life. Then I thought; hell it can't be because of cold alone. Even in places like Leh, it hardly took beyond 6 cranks to start.

Unfortunately the problem reappeared the next day. To my horror and I don't even want to wish that way, but the battery seems to have drained out for all good money. Once the car starts, it never gives any starting trouble through the day, though the start is little lagged. You know the difference between a flamboyant Virat Kohli innings and a scratchy one?

Now I wonder, how on earth a new battery can go for a toss in just about 2 years? Or am I again missing something with Tata Safari in particular? Anyone having faced this trouble and lived to tell the tell out here?

Please do advice. Do I need to drag the beast to nearest TAAS and got it checked for the entire starting mechanism or call it a day and buy a new battery?

Only worry - if the fault line is elsewhere, the new battery would meet the same fate soon and I certainly want to avoid this.

This is a help cry and waiting eagerly for that relief.

Hi,

Get the Safari Checked for Glow plugs (Heater Plugs), my safari had similar issue of not starting in the morning & was fine during the day. Got the plugs checked & found all 4 were dead. Replaced the same with Bosh 4 nos. Cost Rs 1k, Rs 200 for fixing. (Ofcourse not in TASS). Starting at 1/2 crank now.
Old 4th February 2015, 11:55   #5813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananth_shukti View Post
Hi,

Get the Safari Checked for Glow plugs (Heater Plugs), my safari had similar issue of not starting in the morning & was fine during the day. Got the plugs checked & found all 4 were dead. Replaced the same with Bosh 4 nos. Cost Rs 1k, Rs 200 for fixing. (Ofcourse not in TASS). Starting at 1/2 crank now.
The Dicors are DI engines, unlike the TCICs.
Old 4th February 2015, 13:04   #5814
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
The Dicors are DI engines, unlike the TCICs.
The DI 2.2 DICOR has glow plugs, if they do not function you will get cold start issues.
Requirement for glow plugs has nothing to do with injection type. It has more to do with engine block size. Smaller blocks like 2.2 need glow plugs. AS block size rises, you can get away without glow plugs.
Old 4th February 2015, 14:36   #5815
BHPian

Quote:
Go to a battery shop and get the cells checked. If they are fine, go to TASS. After all the car must be in warranty, right?
I presume, it must be in warranty. By the way, is this a common occurrence with Tata Safari or mine is just another honorable exception? Because, for the life of me, I can't comprehend, a battery can go dead in about two years.
Old 4th February 2015, 14:53   #5816
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I presume, it must be in warranty. By the way, is this a common occurrence with Tata Safari or mine is just another honorable exception? Because, for the life of me, I can't comprehend, a battery can go dead in about two years.
No, batteries do not go dead. however, it could also be due to glow plug that you need to crank and crank and that drains battery.
So get the cells checked, takes 2 minutes
Old 5th February 2015, 17:46   #5817
BHPian

Off Late I am noticing that the Radiator fan runs for longer duration when I stop my Safari after driving for some distance, It has been just 4k kms since the last service, the coolant level is also okay. The other day I went on the S.O.U.L drive to Mulshi and after climbing for few kms when I got out of the Safari without switching off the ignition the fan was making a lot of noise. The other Safaris were comparitively silent.
Any Idea what might be the cause?
Old 5th February 2015, 18:51   #5818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
Off Late I am noticing that the Radiator fan runs for longer duration when I stop my Safari after driving for some distance, It has been just 4k kms since the last service, the coolant level is also okay. The other day I went on the S.O.U.L drive to Mulshi and after climbing for few kms when I got out of the Safari without switching off the ignition the fan was making a lot of noise. The other Safaris were comparitively silent.
Double check the coolant levels, and top up. check for leaks around the engine compartment and hoses that connect to the radiator. Its not easy to visually see the coolant level in the Safari.

Sometimes the rubber hoses get hard over time, and start developing minor leaks. Something that the ASC will typically ignore.
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 21:47   #5819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
Noisy fan can just mean a fan at the end of life or lose. Check coolant level in radiator and not just coolant tank.. Get radiator flushed. These are just few ideas.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 08:05   #5820
BHPian

Hi,

I am considering to buy a used Storme 4x4 but have noticed oil leakage/ spill in the engine bay, marked using a white arrow (image attached) what could it be? how can it be fixed and is it something to worry about?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-tatasafaristorme.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks