Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2015, 14:16   #5791
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by apanchal View Post
Hi Gurus,

I have 2011 model Safari EX. I have some doubts regarding the problems/glitches with the Safari as I have the last service pending before the extended warranty expires (2+2 years).
1. As discussed in the forum earlier also, the khat sound on full steering turn. Is there any solution to the problem, so that I can chase the TASS and get that fixed before my extended warranty expires.
2. Apart from that, other things are working fine, for now like clutch,steering,no other sounds,etc. Please also let me know what else I can get checked at the last service.

Regards,
Apanchal

Let me guess the KHAT sound is coming from the left side on full turning.
Atleast thats what is most commonly reported.
I had the same problem and was removed quickly by tuning the "Idler Arm" due to more play or steering adjustment.
Its nothing to worry about and the A.S.S. would easily fix it for you.
Old 16th January 2015, 16:06   #5792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
What would be cost of replacement of front bushes?
cost of bushes is arnd 1500 and then mechanic charges around 1500 for changing bushes
mandyrana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 17:20   #5793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Guys, I am having a problem with my Safari, it pulls to left on braking. The pull is severe, I have got the brakes, brake lines and everything that is related to brakes checked and they are functioning normally. But, there is still heavy pull to left side. The car drives straight normally. The left-pull problem becomes less after doing alignment but after driving 2-3K kms the heavy pull comes back. Any ideas as what might be wrong?
Did you get the LSPV (Load sensing proportioning valve ) checked ? it distributes the braking force between wheels as per load and may need adjustment.
Old 16th January 2015, 18:29   #5794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Did you get the LSPV (Load sensing proportioning valve ) checked ? it distributes the braking force between wheels as per load and may need adjustment.
Mine is 2003 Model Safari, does it come with LSPV? I will ask my mechanic to confirm that he has checked LSPV.
Old 16th January 2015, 23:11   #5795
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is 2003 Model Safari, does it come with LSPV? I will ask my mechanic to confirm that he has checked LSPV.
If the pull is only when you apply brakes, then i am not sure. If the pull is consistent during normal driving, you can check your idler arm play and tighten if necessary. With alignment corrected, idler arm play can cause left pull. After tightening you can again do an alignment since it changes the toe values. Not sure if this is helpful.
ameaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 01:39   #5796
Team-BHP Support

Any solution for sort of death wobble in the safari. The steering now has a excess play, and even the steering "rod" has play when shaken up down. On hitting pothole around 60kmph, or slightly uneven stretch, there is positive feedback, and its like death wobble on those old jeeps.
Any idea what to get fixed? Or its the steering cross?
Old 19th January 2015, 09:16   #5797
BHPian

Please guide me for my 2011 lx-
1. How can I improve the cabin insulation from outside noises? Not much interested in DIY, so would request an expert mechanic or dealer in Delhi.
2. Saw a 2-din HU being installed on a safari dicor. Does anyone has first hand reviews of the same? Any forum discussion on same?
Old 19th January 2015, 09:41   #5798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Any solution for sort of death wobble in the safari. The steering now has a excess play, and even the steering "rod" has play when shaken up down. On hitting pothole around 60kmph, or slightly uneven stretch, there is positive feedback, and its like death wobble on those old jeeps.
The power steering box also develops play with time. If the play does'nt disappears after replacing center link, ball joints and tire ends then you will have to open up the power steering box and get it repaired.
Old 19th January 2015, 09:42   #5799
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by his-xc-lnc View Post
1. How can I improve the cabin insulation from outside noises? Not much interested in DIY, so would request an expert mechanic or dealer in Delhi.

2. Saw a 2-din HU being installed on a safari dicor. Does anyone has first hand reviews of the same? Any forum discussion on same?
1. Go for the damping the doors + boot that audio installers use. This should filter out most of the outside noises filtering into the cabin. Have a look at the Delhi directory for best audio installers for good quality works so as to avoid rattling at later stages.

2. Do search the I.C.E section for answers on this subject.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 10:59   #5800
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The power steering box also develops play with time. If the play does'nt disappears after replacing center link, ball joints and tire ends then you will have to open up the power steering box and get it repaired.
Already done an overhaul. The play seems to be from the steering cross. I guess, new steering cross on next service!
Old 19th January 2015, 11:05   #5801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Check for play in the idler arm. If required, replace the bush.
Check mountings of all the steering/suspension components and ball joints in the front.
Old 19th January 2015, 17:09   #5802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Any good ICE dealer / installer can apply Damping Sheets. Driven EoK, etc. do it regularly, but like with any dealer you have to resist sales talk and get only what you need!

* You need to apply it inside the outer metal layer of the 4 doors, and on the inside of the FRP door pad

* There is already some amount of damping on the outer metal sheet - apply over that

* Nothing on the inner metal later that holds the window winder etc., but make sure loose cables etc. are stayed down firmly with hot melt glue or good tape. After that, ensure that the transparent PVC vapor barrier is put back with adhesive

* On the 5th door, open the door pad and stuff rolled up closed cell foam, and virgin cotton waste

2. One can't mount a regular 2DIN in a Safari / Storme, because the area behind the center panel is full of stuff that can't be moved. Check the threads in ICE section. There are 1DIN HUs available with articulated retractable 6" or 7" screens that mount in the regular 1DIN OE slot. Good alternative to regular 2DIN units. The screen automatically retracts into the unit. These HUs are available from Pioneer and Blaupunkt. Don't get Pyle, Boss etc. - they are horrible

Last edited by DerAlte : 19th January 2015 at 17:11.
DerAlte is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 08:49   #5803
BHPian

Thank you so much for the advice on damping. Will start the work as it seems to be a herculean one!
Old 20th January 2015, 12:19   #5804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much for the advice on damping. Will start the work as it seems to be a herculean one!
Herculean? Oh no, not at all. Takes 2-3 hours only, even if done by a novice. The first door takes the longest, the others take half that time once the rhythm starts!
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 10:16   #5805
BHPian

My TCIC Safari 2004 had starting problems from last few weeks. Early mornings it use to take about 6 to 7 cranks & use to throw huge smoke as if the engine was started without using the heater. I was thinking it could be due to cold temperatures.

Got to know that all the 4 glow plugs (heating plugs)were gone when I showed it to my regular mechanic in Mysore & got it replaced immediately.

Cost - Rs 1000 - Bosh Glow plugs + Rs 200 for Labor
Time - 1/2 Hour - There is very little space to put a spanner to take out & put the new plugs, other wise its a 10 minutes job.

Tip - The plugs could be checked without taking it out. Mechanic used a piece of wire & connected one end to +ve of battery. If there is no spark when touched the +ve point of the glow plug it isn't working.

Starts now in 1/2 crank.
Did not check how much it costs in TASS.
Ananth_shukti is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks