Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2014, 04:12   #5731
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hey guys!

I'm in need of urgent help for locating parts for the rear differential of my Dicor 2.2 4x4. The crown and pinion gears have worn out making grinding noise during >80 kmph driving. The rear differential is opened up at the garage but we've been unable to locate the gears despite a lot of effort. The LSD different has 41x10 gear set while the standard differential has 41x9. Suppliers and TASS are saying that 41x9 gear would do fine but my mechanic and myself don't want to mess with the OEM gear ratios. The 41x9 is easily available while the 41x10 is nowhere to be found!

If anybody has any information on availability of the correct gear set, please share it. I'm sharing images of the gears below.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-img20141108wa0000.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-img20141108wa0002.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-img20141108wa0004.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-img20141108wa0006.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-img20141108wa0007.jpg  

Old 9th November 2014, 17:57   #5732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
I'm in need of urgent help for locating parts for the rear differential of my Dicor 2.2 4x4...
You can try/check with 99rpm.com. I have no personal experience of dealing with them though.

http://www.99rpm.com/tata/propeller-...x4-safari.html

-BJ
Old 10th November 2014, 15:17   #5733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
Hey guys!

I'm in need of urgent help for locating parts for the rear differential of my Dicor 2.2 4x4. The crown and pinion gears have worn out making grinding noise during >80 kmph driving. The rear differential is opened up at the garage but we've been unable to locate the gears despite a lot of effort. The LSD different has 41x10 gear set while the standard differential has 41x9. Suppliers and TASS are saying that 41x9 gear would do fine but my mechanic and myself don't want to mess with the OEM gear ratios. The 41x9 is easily available while the 41x10 is nowhere to be found!

If anybody has any information on availability of the correct gear set, please share it. I'm sharing images of the gears below.
Its made by Spicer India in Pune :http://www.spicerindia.in/

send them an email and see

regards
Rajeev
rajismine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 12:05   #5734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
HI All,

A friend of mine owns a 2011-LX-BS3, is working fine, except for issues with HVAC system.
There is a contineous "HISSING" sound whenever the A/C is started. There is also a significant reduction in the cool air that is coming out from the blowers. The problem started yesterday during his drive from Nagpur to Pune. Prior to that no such issues faced.,....
Updates on the his ac issues.
Condenser welding broke due to vibration. Had to be welded again. Gas refilled again. Ac is working fine now.
Leakage was tiny hence wasn't detected easily. The TASS team says this is a known issue with safari.

Thanks all for you responses. These are worth noting down and checked for any such issues.

Regards
Saurabh
Old 12th November 2014, 08:51   #5735

Guys,

My Safari is behaving weird, after driving for around 15 minutes, I can hear huge radiator fan noise, this was happening since last few weeks, but yesterday suddenly, AC stopped cooling and my vehicle could not pick up, even after pressing accelerator, it would hardly pick up in 1st or 2nd gear and and somehow struggles in 3rd gear. No acceleration at all.

BUT, overnight in morning, all problems disappeared and AC was also working and vehicle is picking up speed and seems to be normal.

I am yet to test it out again but I am sure problem is related to heating, my radiator also keeps on running - after engine is switched off - for longer than usual.

Any thoughts what went wrong, I had recently changed clutch assembly 3 weeks back.
Old 12th November 2014, 10:59   #5736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarundsk View Post
Guys,

My Safari is behaving weird, after driving for around 15 minutes, I can hear huge radiator fan noise, this was happening since last few weeks, but yesterday suddenly, AC stopped cooling and my vehicle could not pick up, even after pressing accelerator, it would hardly pick up in 1st or 2nd gear and and somehow struggles in 3rd gear. No acceleration at all.

BUT, overnight in morning, all problems disappeared and AC was also working and vehicle is picking up speed and seems to be normal.

I am yet to test it out again but I am sure problem is related to heating, my radiator also keeps on running - after engine is switched off - for longer than usual.

Any thoughts what went wrong, I had recently changed clutch assembly 3 weeks back.
Is your car overheating? Do check coolant level and engine oil level
rajismine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 11:26   #5737

Yes, I also thought so, but temp gauge is showing in middle, but strangely, I was able to put 3/4 jugs of water directly into radiator, although coolant reservoir shows good level. So definitely coolant is not entering radiator or there is a leakage.

But thanks for reply. I am sending my Safari to Prerna Motors Peenya.
Old 12th November 2014, 14:52   #5738
BHPian

I have a really strange problem in my Safari, I am not sure if it's a hidden feature or an issue.
Every time I switch off my car, all the doors are automatically unlocked. Now if someone sitting in the middle row seats as much as touches the door opening handle when I am switching off the Safari, the child lock is enabled. So, I have to get out and open the door for them, Put the child lock back in Off position.
As per my understanding, the Childlock is a physical lock not connected to any electrical circuit.
Has anyone else also faced this peculiar issue?
Old 12th November 2014, 17:39   #5739
BHPian

Yes. The central locking system locks itself back. Guess its a feature, since i face it too quite often, hehe.
PS: i got Autocop, by the way
Old 14th November 2014, 19:04   #5740
BHPian

Hi guys an update to my steering issue:

I got the idler arm bracket changed and that has solved the hardness problem and the steering turns as good as normal, But there is still a sound that is persistent from the steering. I feel the steering sort of rub with a groaning sound coming from it as I turn specially heard when you turn the steering slowly. Also when that sound comes I can also feel the faint brushing feeling from the steering.

The S.A. is telling me it is due to the clock spring and the part will have to be changed(which again needs to be ordered and will arrive after a few days and costs around 3K). I always thought that the clock spring was an electronic thing and had something to do with thee airbag so is there a connection between this part and my noise problem.

I have attached a video which describes what I'm talking about, so please advise. Secondly Is it safe to drive the vehicle for a few days now before this problem is resolved?

Old 15th November 2014, 13:19   #5741
BHPian

My Safari Dicor 2.2 has now clocked 73000 Kms. Offlate, i have been experiencing a Check Engine fault. The error is 0400 - EGR control & EGR Airflow. Been getting this checked at Classic motors at TASS for the past 2 months. No luck. The guys have:

1. Cleaned the Air flow unit
2. checked for the AMR sensor - i suppose i have spelled it correctly
3. replaced the EGR valve.

this still hasn't resolved the issue & they now suspect the ECU. the TASS does not even have a facility to do a ECU Flash reset, to confirm if the software is a bug. I understand that this now is a common fault with many Safari's & the ARIA's.

I have browsed through the pages & did not find much relevance to what i am experiencing. Would any of you be kind enough to let me know similar experiences & solutions that you had in hand too??
Old 20th November 2014, 12:29   #5742
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Does anyone know what the small panel highligthed below is called or is aware of the part no. for the same?

Thanks in advance...
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-safari_part.jpg  

cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 13:27   #5743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
I have a really strange problem in my Safari, I am not sure if it's a hidden feature or an issue.
Every time I switch off my car, all the doors are automatically unlocked. Now if someone sitting in the middle row seats as much as touches the door opening handle when I am switching off the Safari, the child lock is enabled.
Hi Ajit,

Yes I constantly have this issue with kids trying to jump out as soon as the car is stopped and switched off. I have had this issue on all doors except the driver doors (for obvious reasons). I haven't observed Child lock getting enabled during this time, but you have to lock and unlock the car again to get the doors opened even from the outside.

Regards
Bugs
bhagathmp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 14:08   #5744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarundsk View Post
Yes, I also thought so, but temp gauge is showing in middle, but strangely, I was able to put 3/4 jugs of water directly into radiator, although coolant reservoir shows good level. So definitely coolant is not entering radiator or there is a leakage.

But thanks for reply. I am sending my Safari to Prerna Motors Peenya.
Now this water itself could be your real problem. Avoid water as much as you can and use coolant plus distilled water instead,

I suggest drain out all the coolant (there is a plastic screw nozzle at the bottom of the radiator). And refill with premix coolant. Most probably you problems will be solved

Its possible that you can pour more in the radiator when upper reservoir still has coolant - normal thing. Its not like petrol cars where collant will gush out if you open the cap. I insist clear up the coolant and refill to see the difference

Last edited by rajismine : 20th November 2014 at 14:10.
Old 20th November 2014, 14:12   #5745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhagathmp View Post
Hi Ajit,

Yes I constantly have this issue with kids trying to jump out as soon as the car is stopped and switched off. I have had this issue on all doors except the driver doors (for obvious reasons). I haven't observed Child lock getting enabled during this time, but you have to lock and unlock the car again to get the doors opened even from the outside.

Regards
Bugs

Hi Bugs (What a Nickname man!, hope you are not into Testing )

Yes, that's a seperate feature, I am ok with this one, but I am getting tired of getting out of the car and opening the door all the time whenever Someone is traveling with me. I have now started asking people sitting in the middle seat to roll down the window take out their hand and help themselves.
Ajitsingh208 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks