Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2009, 12:26   #556
BHPian

[quote=Abhiknov;1178459]3000 kms on my safari....and the following observations
1. At 80+ speed, Driver and opposite side window makes strong hissing sound like the window glass has been left partially open.
Something stuck in the track that's preventing the glass from moving up fully???
2. Steering makes a hissing sound at full tilt on both sides.
Normal, that's just the valve opening to allow full flow of fluid to the steering cylinder
3. Dashboard buttons go on and off in different ways. Some remain depressed while on, others come back to original position after on.
Normal, Read the owners Manual for details
4. The vehicle is slightly tilted towards its right side(driver's side)
Now this is not normal!!! Get it Checked by TASS
5. Front window motors sound very strained while rolling up the glass.
If you are rolling up more than one window at a time, the movement may be slightll slow

Cheers
Old 21st February 2009, 13:13   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I asked them to change and said its ok for few more 100s after they cleaned it. Will ask to change at 30k .

Mine's with 27k on the odo.

On my way back from office, I would have covered 5kms and then no turbo. Pedal to metal to check smoke: Nope! Tacho goes 4k almost max.

I drive for 2 kms or so as its very drivable. Turbo comes back to life after that! Wicked!

I am going to TASS tomorrow and intend to be there when they do the test or whatever.

Almost 27k.
Error seems to link to rail injection sensor.

And I felt turbo failure coz of that. Linked to what TSK had?
I asked them to raise an toekn with Tata as if its injectors, I want to be in the queue.
Old 21st February 2009, 13:51   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Error seems to link to rail injection sensor.

And I felt turbo failure coz of that. Linked to what TSK had?
I asked them to raise an toekn with Tata as if its injectors, I want to be in the queue.
Anything linked to the "rails", delphi will step in and then they decide what needs to be changed.

@Abhiknov, the tilt on the driver side is a dellusion, try to imagine it from the back without the slight silencer showing up under the bumper and all will seem to be in a straight line, balanced.
Old 21st February 2009, 18:22   #559
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
@Abhiknov, the tilt on the driver side is a dellusion, try to imagine it from the back without the slight silencer showing up under the bumper and all will seem to be in a straight line, balanced.
@Abhiknov: Park the Safari on level ground and measure the distance from the ground to the center of the wheel archs. It should match the opposite side. If not, you may need a torsion bar adjustment.
Old 22nd February 2009, 09:16   #560
BHPian

This saturday went for the Hose Pipe Issue. I thought they would replace the pipe but it wasnt in stock, and I was offered Pipe from an accidental Safari which I refused. Then they tried from a stock yard Sumo which didnt fit in... Finally they have placed an order and should get the same in a week.

I was shocked to see more than 600 ml water + Mud + etc etc in sedimeter. (Gave it back to me in a Pepsi bottle)

Following Error Codes were detected
P1254 : Rail Pressure Control error. (Pressure error too high) positive present
P0299 : Boost Control Error. (Boost error too high/too low.(Present)
P1258 : Rail Pressure Control error. (IMV Current trim D...)( High Fuel Low fault) Present
P0380 : Glow Plug/ Heater circuit a Malfunction (Present)
P2269 Water in fuel tank detected (Present)

All these errors were told to be present because of Water in sediment and Hose pipe. Do we have more information about these errors, Rail Pressure error is it something to worry about.
Old 22nd February 2009, 09:58   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull_Twin View Post
me in a Pepsi bottle)

P1258 : Rail Pressure Control error. (IMV Current trim D...)( High Fuel Low fault) Present

All these errors were told to be present because of Water in sediment and Hose pipe. Do we have more information about these errors, Rail Pressure error is it something to worry about.
The 90bhp and 2.2 has the same hose?

Mine was the rail pressure one. Will get the correct error code by monday.
I am not sure if the water and error code can be linked.

DIY time. Going to check my sedimeter. Will update.
Old 22nd February 2009, 10:21   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 90bhp and 2.2 has the same hose?

Mine was the rail pressure one. Will get the correct error code by monday.
I am not sure if the water and error code can be linked.

DIY time. Going to check my sedimeter. Will update.
No water.

Now I am confused if what I got was kerosene or diesel. It was colorless and wife says its kerosene.

Have a doubt : Will diesel siphon off it if I keep it open? Else I have to go back and leave it open to let Kerosene out.

Last edited by jkdas : 22nd February 2009 at 10:22.
Old 22nd February 2009, 11:51   #563
BHPian

Blending Kerosene into Diesel Fuel

Quote:
No water.

Now I am confused if what I got was kerosene or diesel. It was colorless and wife says its kerosene.

Have a doubt : Will diesel siphon off it if I keep it open? Else I have to go back and leave it open to let Kerosene out.

Hi JK,

Just found something interesting posted on the "Enviroment Information System" website ( GOI site), relevant to this.

Quote -

Impacts due to Diesel Adulteration

The blending of kerosene with automotive diesel is generally practiced by oil industry worldwide as a means of adjusting the low temperature operability of the fuel. This practice is not harmful or detrimental to tailpipe emissions, provided the resulting fuel continues to meet engine manufacturer's specifications (especially for viscosity and cetane number). However, high-level adulteration of low sulphur diesel fuel with higher -level sulphur kerosene can cause the fuel to exceed the sulphur maximum. The addition of heavier fuel oils to diesel is usually easy to detect because the resultant fuel will be darker than normal. Depending on the nature of these heavier fuel oils and the possible presence of additional Poly-Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs), there could be some increase in both exhaust Particulate Matter and Poly-Aromatic Hydrocarbon emissions.

- Unquote

(Courtesy Transport Fuel Adulteration)

Cheers
Old 22nd February 2009, 11:53   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was shocked to see more than 600 ml water + Mud + etc etc in sedimeter. (Gave it back to me in a Pepsi bottle)
Happens every time you open up the sedimenter after a prolonged period. Must be one very effective piece of equipment.

Perhaps they should make it mandatory to open and clean the sedimenter during each service visit.
Old 22nd February 2009, 19:23   #565
Team-BHP Support

Rail pressure sensor error??
Well I got the same and now my safari is awaiting new High pressure lines and injectors from Lucas TVS!
Old 22nd February 2009, 20:31   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Rail pressure sensor error??
Well I got the same and now my safari is awaiting new High pressure lines and injectors from Lucas TVS!
Do you remember the error codes? Can you please tell me what were the major issues you had or Few symptoms which I should look for in my vehicle.
Which service station do you visit? A-one Motors..?

Ohhh until now I had
1.) Last week Service light was up for 4 secs.
2.) Now, hose pipe blown 3rd time. and service light up for an hr, until the pipe was fixed.
Old 22nd February 2009, 21:55   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This saturday went for the Hose Pipe Issue. I thought they would replace the pipe but it wasnt in stock, and I was offered Pipe from an accidental Safari which I refused. Then they tried from a stock yard Sumo which didnt fit in... Finally they have placed an order and should get the same in a week.

All are "P"owertrain related. P2269, water content in fuel being the key for all these. Water can be harmful for the whole fuel system.

The P1254 is related to malfunction of the fuel system, in your case could be due to the water, water can cause the fuel pump/ injectors to malfunction. Similarly for P0299, turbo boost malfunction. The ECU controls the Glow plugs and slight variance in the voltage can bring up this DTC, P1258 is related to coolant temp high and protection measure activated(but its showing a different desc here).

Quote:
No water.

For sub-zero temp, upto 50% of diesel and kerosene mix is allowed (as per manual) so that wouldnt cause a problem. Kerosene has a distinct smell, so you shoudl be able to figure it out.

I didnt get your doubt Question, what will you keep open to let it out??, if you have cleaned your sedimenter, then there is no need to keep anything open.
Old 22nd February 2009, 22:13   #568
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Mahesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post

For sub-zero temp, upto 50% of diesel and kerosene mix is allowed (as per manual) so that wouldnt cause a problem. Kerosene has a distinct smell, so you shoudl be able to figure it out.

I didnt get your doubt Question, what will you keep open to let it out??, if you have cleaned your sedimenter, then there is no need to keep anything open.
Should I drain off the kerosene? And for this I will have to keep the sedimeter valve open. Also, if I keep it open, will it drain diesel as I heard air being sucked in.
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:59   #569
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do you remember the error codes? Can you please tell me what were the major issues you had or Few symptoms which I should look for in my vehicle.
Which service station do you visit? A-one Motors..?

Ohhh until now I had
1.) Last week Service light was up for 4 secs.
2.) Now, hose pipe blown 3rd time. and service light up for an hr, until the pipe was fixed.
Is the service light gone now?
If so, drive to 80kmph in 4th gear, then leave the acclerator and let her coast. When rpm falls to around 1300rpm, if service light comes on for few seconds you have the same issue as I have. I think smsrini also has same issue.
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:22   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Dadu,

What is the experience in the last 10days after changing the EGR valve ?

thanks
Srini
The results:

No hiccups on cold engine, smoother power delivery during pickup, reduced cabin noise and marginally increased FE, even though part was replaced apprx 150km after tankfull.

Most Viewed