Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2014, 19:45   #5671
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
I got only the glass fitted recently. Check with the service center, else I reckon you will get it from independent vendors.
Hi Happy Wheels,

Is it OEM glass? In which city you got it fitted?

-Ijeet
Old 1st August 2014, 16:31   #5672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravdebiswas View Post
the steering in my Safari 2.2 started vibrating. The vibrations started while accelerating at speeds between 45 till 80. After that the vibrations stopped. No form of sound was coming from the suspension set up. My car has run 35000 kms and is 2.5 yrs old. I took it to the TASS Auto Vikas at Okhla Phase 1. They found a lot of play on the left front tyre. After looking at the issue, they gave me a long list of parts to be changed, and total cost of approx. Rs. 20000. ..............

.....Wanted to ask one more thing on the forum. The front right tyres are wearing out from the inside and the outside edge. All other tyres are fine. This is something that has been happening since a long time, but I never bothered. What could have been the problem? The alignment was definitely out, since the wheel alignment guy got it fixed. Is there something else I need to look at?
I have a similar query:
My 2.2 LX will be completing 5 yrs this month, have done 67.5K kms. haven't had any serious issue (touch wood) with safari except small niggles like falling plastics, door rattles, etc.) so far in roaming around 15 states in last 5 yrs including all 4 southern states even with family .

However, due to inadequate rotation, my tyres worn out un-evenly, obviously this also disturbed wheel alignment and for past few months I was also getting those vibrations at speed around 60-80, not beyond or below that. Due to poor tyres, I was driving within limits within 80-90 kph for last few months, no long trip though, just city driving and occasional 70-80 kms trip to nearby place.

I changed tyres to MRF Wanderer yesterday evening, got wheel balancing done and gave it for alignment and break pads change today to my regular TASS.

However, I was also listening occasional noise (khan-khan/hinch type) (don't know how to express it !) while moving the vehicle after engaging 1st gear, sometimes when turning steering during parking, sometimes while crossing over small bumps on slow speed, etc., which was NOT always, but only sometimes. Still I asked them to check suspension nuts etc. and tight if anything is loose.

I told this too SA today at TASS a mechanic took test drive with me, but it didn't sound. However, later in the day after diagnosis, my SA called me and told two items have worn out: 1. central pin/leaf/connecting leaf! 2. tie rods (set of two). He told expenditure will be about 8000/- or so. I asked how is their condition, weather need to be changed today itself or can be done after say 1-2 months! He said, now that now that they have got defected, you'll have to change, if not today, after some time. No serious damage is expected immediately though.

Now, pl. advise me on few things:

1. Actually, due to tyre change and other things, budget is tight this month , so I want to make this expenditure in next month. Any major problem expected?

2. How long these parts last in normal drive conditions? Mine is single -hand driven, no hard driving, no Leh like trips or off roading type, services as per manual. So except that lapse on tyre rotation (which led to un-even worn out of tyres), hadn't done anything harsh to the vehicle.

3. Would it be wise to search and find a good mechanic outside, take 2nd opinion to actually diagnose, if just greasing of bushes, bearings, tie rod, lathe work, etc. can this resolve in an economical way then doing it at TASS?

4. Any other opinion on the issue?

Thanks

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 1st August 2014 at 16:36.
Old 1st August 2014, 20:10   #5673
Senior - BHPian

Has any manufacturer started producing polyurethane bushes for the safari yet? I see them for gypsy and even the scorpio.
If now i guess we can get it manufactured
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 23:34   #5674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
Hi Happy Wheels,

Is it OEM glass? In which city you got it fitted?

-Ijeet
OEM, Ijeet; at Chennai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Has any manufacturer started producing polyurethane bushes for the safari yet? I see them for gypsy and even the scorpio.
If now i guess we can get it manufactured
I vaguely recollect TSK (mod) mentioning he had it done, quiet a long time back. Might be mistaken.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 1st August 2014 at 23:38.
Old 2nd August 2014, 09:16   #5675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post

I told this too SA today at TASS a mechanic took test drive with me, but it didn't sound. However, later in the day after diagnosis, my SA called me and told two items have worn out: 1. central pin/leaf/connecting leaf! 2. tie rods (set of two). He told expenditure will be about 8000/- or so.
Get atleast the ends(tie rods) changed from outside mechanic. should be an expense of around 1k including parts+labor. Center pin generally requires just greasing, nothing else. You have done decent mileage for the ends to have worn out.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 10:27   #5676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
Get atleast the ends(tie rods) changed from outside mechanic. should be an expense of around 1k including parts+labor. Center pin generally requires just greasing, nothing else. You have done decent mileage for the ends to have worn out.

Thanks Ankur. yes, I'll search and go to an outside mechanic. BTW, life has really improved after tyres change It feels like back to 'old' days when the Black Tigress was new.
Old 3rd August 2014, 15:56   #5677
BANNED

Hi all
My friend bought a TATA SAFARI.
Following are its details.
Year of manufacture 2006.
Model: TATA SAFARI EX 4X2.
ENGINE NO: DICOR06KTZ00099.
ENGINE CAPACITY/TYPE: 2954 cc 4cyl Diesel
The tyres fitted are 235/70 R16 YOKOHAMA GEOLANDER A/T on stock rims.
The problem is when the front wheels are turned to the right the driver side wheel touches the wheel well inside. The point of contact is the driver side wheel well aft end.
Please see the Attached videos for explaination.
No other point is coming in contact.
When the vehicle is on the road doing high speeds or otherwise there is no pull or abnormal behavior noticed. Only during taking right turns the wheel rubbing the wheel well inside is heard.
The vehicle has new lower arms on both sides.
When checked on the wheel alignment rig the alignment limits i.e caster, camber, toe in are all in limits.
When inspected from underside and top there is no visible sign of damage as in chassis bent or accidental damage.
This vehicle was registered to TATA HOUSE and was used exclusively for transporting the company officials. The service record is impeccable and no signs of any major accident etc.
Kindly provide some inputs to mitigate this problem
Attached Files
File Type: zip TYRES TOUCHING.zip (2.01 MB, 130 views)
Old 3rd August 2014, 17:46   #5678
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by norhog View Post
Hi all
My friend bought a TATA SAFARI.
Following are its details.
Year of manufacture 2006.
Model: TATA SAFARI EX 4X2.
ENGINE NO: DICOR06KTZ00099.
ENGINE CAPACITY/TYPE: 2954 cc 4cyl Diesel
The tyres fitted are 235/70 R16 YOKOHAMA GEOLANDER A/T on stock rims.
The problem is when the front wheels are turned to the right the driver side wheel touches the wheel well inside. The point of contact is the driver side wheel well aft end.
Please see the Attached
The turning radius in Safari is adjustible. Infact, so much adjustible, that you can take it beyond limits. Often when people complain of less turning radius this is a quick fix service centers do. Just get the turning radius increased, and it will be fine.
Old 4th August 2014, 03:00   #5679
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The turning radius in Safari is adjustible. Infact, so much adjustible, that you can take it beyond limits. Often when people complain of less turning radius this is a quick fix service centers do. Just get the turning radius increased, and it will be fine.
Dear Sir
Thank you for your prompt reply. But if you have seen the video attached the driver side Tyre is touching the wheel well on the aft side mud guard area only during the right turn. There isn't any other point of contact during a left turn. Also there is no contact what so ever on passenger side Tyre.
I presume the turning radius would be adjusted by altering the wheel angles in some way. In that case the point of contact will still remain. This is what I understand.
If you would be kind to elaborate your point so that I can clear my doubt and this issue can be taken up with the service station.
Thanks a lot
Take care
Old 4th August 2014, 08:26   #5680
Senior - BHPian

There is a steering idler nut on each side this nut is adjusted for turning radius.
You can have unequal turn on each side.
Officially turn radius is 6 meters but can be reduced to around 5.6 - 5.8
If you reduce more tyres touch wheel well. Also break lines get strained and you may see slight leak of break fluid.

Quote:
Dear Sir
Thank you for your prompt reply. But if you have seen the video attached the driver side Tyre is touching the wheel well on the aft side mud guard area only during the right turn. There isn't any other point of contact during a left turn. Also there is no contact what so ever on passenger side Tyre.
I presume the turning radius would be adjusted by altering the wheel angles in some way. In that case the point of contact will still remain. This is what I understand.
If you would be kind to elaborate your point so that I can clear my doubt and this issue can be taken up with the service station.
Thanks a lot
Take care
Old 4th August 2014, 13:21   #5681
BANNED

Dear Sirs
Thanks for the response. Will take the car to check the turning radius issue to a competent service center.
In the meanwhile I still am having doubt inside my head (which is small anyways) as the point of contact of driver side front Tyre is only the driver side wheel well mudflap area during right turn only. No other point of contact is observed.
The passenger side Tyre does not touch any where.
Also when shown to 2 different wheel alignment guys they were of the opinion that the metal can be hammered out of way and that was a manufacturing anomaly expected of TATA'S.("thoda idher-udher hota hai TATA ke gadi me, thok ke seedha karo aur gadi chalao") their words exactly.
There is no pull etc during high speed driving and braking.
Also this issue cropped up when new set of tyre's were fitted to the existing stock rims.
Tyre's fitted were YOKOHAMA GEOLANDER AT 235/70 R16.
I will post back after a visit to a competent service station and showing this problem and getting feedback.
In the meanwhile can TBHPians give some more inputs if it is some issue other than mere misaligned body panels.
Thanks a lot to all.
Take care
Old 4th August 2014, 14:30   #5682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also when shown to 2 different wheel alignment guys they were of the opinion that the metal can be hammered out of way and that was a manufacturing anomaly expected of TATA'S.("thoda idher-udher hota hai TATA ke gadi me, thok ke seedha karo aur gadi chalao") their words exactly.
There is no pull etc during high speed driving and braking.
Also this issue cropped up when new set of tyre's were fitted to the existing stock rims.
Tyre's fitted were YOKOHAMA GEOLANDER AT 235/70 R16.
Don't listen to them they have obviously no clue about idler nuts. Take it to any T.A.S.S it is 5 minutes job.

Don't allow to hammer anything this is not manufacturing anamoly .. it is feature not a bug.
Old 12th August 2014, 14:54   #5683
BHPian

How difficult is it to remove the door pad and fix it back. I never tried it before.

There is some irritating vibration coming from my front passenger side door. When I checked it I felt that something is rubbing the pad from inside and causing it. The vibration stops when I put my hand over the pad and give a slight push.

I don't want to take it to the workshop for this small issue. So planning to remove the pad and check it myself.
Old 12th August 2014, 17:24   #5684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
How difficult is it to remove the door pad and fix it back. ... The vibration stops when I put my hand over the pad and give a slight push. ...
Not difficult. The only difficult part is locating the screws. Once you know that, it is a cinch. Just so that you don't have spare parts left after the opening / putting back exercise, put every screw - and screw hole plastic covers - in a bowl.

Keep some closed-cell foam handy. The rattle is from the cable for the switches for the windows. Coil some CC foam strips around it, and stay it down properly with some good single-sided wide tape. While you are at it, do the same for any other cable you find loose.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 12:35   #5685
BHPian

Need experts help. How much is cost for replacing engine mounts for Safari? How much time it takes for replacing mounts.

Most Viewed