Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2014, 16:19   #5656
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

My car is having vibrations in while car is not moving. What could be the problem?
Old 16th July 2014, 16:44   #5657
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
My car is having vibrations in while car is not moving. What could be the problem?
Engine mount issue. When you turn off ignition, does the car shake a lot before shutting down? If so, then its definitely engine mounts.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 21:31   #5658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravdebiswas View Post
...The front right tyres are wearing out from the inside and the outside edge. All other tyres are fine...
Some amount of unequal wear between tyres are inevitable, however, suggest following two things to look out religiously:

1) Wheel rotation- every 7/8k kilometers (though manual says 10k)
2) Tyre pressure- under inflation can lead to edge wear that you see.

-BJ
Old 16th July 2014, 21:56   #5659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Engine mount issue. When you turn off ignition, does the car shake a lot before shutting down? If so, then its definitely engine mounts.
Yes , It shakes. Definitely engine mount issue. Mounts needs to be tightened or replaces
Old 18th July 2014, 22:32   #5660
Senior - BHPian

This truck never ceases to amaze. Took her out after about two weeks of hibernation today. Started and ran fine, as usual. Parked, had dinner and came back in an hour or so. Started, switched on headlights, everything usual. Suddenly, both headlights went off together. I thought some circuit problem, switched on fogs- they were working fine. Switched high beam, working fine. Switched on and off couple of times, no help. Started moving with fogs on. After sometime both headlights came on its own and worked fine till the end of the journey.

I am wondering what could be the issue? Loose circuit/contacts- but then why high beams were working? Or some problem with the relay. Looking for clues and usual suspects. Please help.

Btw, I am using Philips xTreme vision (about ~3 years old), if that helps.

Thanks in advance,
-BJ
Old 22nd July 2014, 13:16   #5661

Hi,
I am facing a few problems with my 2010 Safari GX 4X2.

1) From day 1 it seems outside air/smell coming in the cabin, even though the internal circulation is always on. At signals I can smell the exhaust from other vehicles which at times leads to mild suffocation. The problem is mentioned at every service. Last shown to Tata owned service center on Mathura road, New Delhi. Everytime I was told that the flap in the air duct has to be adjusted. But the problem resumes before reaching home.

2) The vehicle has some mild screaching sound in stearing at low speeds.

3) The rear of the vehicle vibrates heavily if I glide over small bumps (3 in a row) at a speed between 20 -30 kmph. I have never gone beyond this speed on any bumps ever.

4) I have to drive always in 4 th gear in city to maintain the city limits of 60kmph at most of the places. I have learnt that Scorpio can easily do 60 in 5th gear. Safari seems to be quite heavy while driving in the city.

Please help me with what could be the problem and where to get them addressed. Also, my vehicle has done 55000 kms and is under extended waranty till November.
Thanks in advance,
TR
Old 23rd July 2014, 11:09   #5662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqRpm View Post
Hi,
1) From day 1 it seems outside air/smell coming in the cabin, even though the internal circulation is always on. At signals I can smell the exhaust from other vehicles which at times leads to mild suffocation. The problem is mentioned at every service. Last shown to Tata owned service center on Mathura road, New Delhi. Everytime I was told that the flap in the air duct has to be adjusted. But the problem resumes before reaching home.
Solution is to block the flap permanently using foam and tape. Many people have done that.

Quote:
2) The vehicle has some mild screaching sound in stearing at low speeds.
Can be belt or suspension noise. Get checked both. Car has done decent mileage. Can be suspension ends.

Quote:
3) The rear of the vehicle vibrates heavily if I glide over small bumps (3 in a row) at a speed between 20 -30 kmph. I have never gone beyond this speed on any bumps ever.
Get rear bushes checked. My vehicle had same issue.

Quote:
4) I have to drive always in 4 th gear in city to maintain the city limits of 60kmph at most of the places. I have learnt that Scorpio can easily do 60 in 5th gear. Safari seems to be quite heavy while driving in the city.
I generally use the 3rd more in city. Safari is awesome in that gear. Safari 5th is for speeds around 80+, and 4th for around 60+.

Any suspension and bushes are not covered in warranty.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 10:55   #5663
BHPian

Got my Safari back after the 60k service, but now am facing a loss of power at low speeds, Usually this is happening just after a cold start but sometimes it happens even when the car has been driven for 10-15 kms.
Any Idea what the reason might be?
The Filters were changed in this service, no idea what could be causing this issue.
Old 25th July 2014, 13:44   #5664
BHPian

Hi Ajit
Not sure whether your issues is the same. But I had this problem immediately after service / oil changes .

1. Diesel Filter was not tightened properly due to which there was air intake & loss of power.
2. Diesel filter has a hose & copper washer, wear &tear of copper washer leads to air intake. Change of washer rectify the issue.
3. Turbo hose (old Safari TCIC), was loose & due to air leak there was loss of power.

You could do primary check on this as I feel it is not a major issue.
Please update us once its resolved.

Ananth
Ananth_shukti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 18:28   #5665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananth_shukti View Post
Hi Ajit
Not sure whether your issues is the same. But I had this problem immediately after service / oil changes .

1. Diesel Filter was not tightened properly due to which there was air intake & loss of power.
2. Diesel filter has a hose & copper washer, wear &tear of copper washer leads to air intake. Change of washer rectify the issue.
3. Turbo hose (old Safari TCIC), was loose & due to air leak there was loss of power.

You could do primary check on this as I feel it is not a major issue.
Please update us once its resolved.

Ananth
Thanks for the above checklist, I went to Concorde Pune today, they took a TD but the problem did not come up. They have hinted at using a different Petrol Pump to fill Diesel.
Anyways, it's 5 mins away from my home so the next time I notice it I will go back again.
Also just an update, The L.H.S Power window switch was not working so I had asked it to be replaced under warranty. Turns out the supplier who made these has been discontinued so only the wooden ones that come with EX and above are available from now on.
I did not want to have a different switch so they have replaced the inside circuit while normally they would have replaced the whole unit.
Ajitsingh208 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 20:51   #5666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
Solution is to block the flap permanently using foam and tape. Many people have done that.
+1.
I have done it and the issue has disappeared for good. As a bonus, now I do not see any misty air coming out of AC vents when driving through areas of high humidity (e.g. coastal roads, rains). It is DIY-able. Browse the forum and you will find posts on how to do it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
...Suddenly, both headlights went off together... sometime both headlights came on its own and worked fine... what could be the issue? Loose circuit/contacts...
After DIY inspection- found the low beam relay under the hood little unseated and 20A fuse was blackish. Replaced both (old relay is retained as spare). Things look fine now .

-BJ
Old 28th July 2014, 17:06   #5667
BHPian

Hi,

I recently met with an unfortunate accident and broke the glass of RHS OVRM. Is glass for OVRM available anywhere or I have to change the full assembely.

My car is Feb 11 GX

Please advice..

-Ijeet
Old 28th July 2014, 17:33   #5668
BHPian

If you want the original heated glass then the only option is to go for the complete assembly from TATA.

Else you can get the plain glass in the open market. Ask for safari ka tukda. You would feel odd for a couple of days but will get used to it.
Old 28th July 2014, 18:53   #5669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naman07 View Post
If you want the original heated glass then the only option is to go for the complete assembly from TATA.

Else you can get the plain glass in the open market. Ask for safari ka tukda. You would feel odd for a couple of days but will get used to it.

I was afraid of that but I remember reading some member was able to change only glass from somewhere. I am not able to find it now. IIRC member name was Verdetier (Sorry if spellings are wrong)

So i have to cough up INR4500 just because of a stupid glass :(

-Ijeet
Old 29th July 2014, 12:54   #5670
Senior - BHPian

I got only the glass fitted recently. Check with the service center, else I reckon you will get it from independent vendors.

Most Viewed