Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2014, 14:05   #5611
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Guys,

For the last month or so my TCIC Safari (151,000 km+) has been consuming a lot of coolant/water. There don't seem to be any leaks underneath though I hear a hissing sound (hot gases?) from the footwell. Few things that seem related are mentioned below. Can someone suggest possible root-causes?

- On a trip to Jodhpur few months back, Engine temp would cross the half-way mark slightly but stay there over 6-7 hour drives and AC coolant/water was leaking in the footwell only when being shut down.
- Got the above solved but lately instead of leakages, I only hear the hissing sound and obviously the radiator ends up running dry every week or so.
- The Oil doesn't show any signs of mixing with coolant (pretty much black - time for replacing it too!)
- Engine performance has been consistent and no drop in pickup etc
- AC is being used full-time lately thanks to the Ahmedabad heat!
- No change in exhaust smoke levels or whiteness
- Few weeks back it was reaching the halfway mark very quickly and when we checked the whole radiator was clogged and so got it cleaned up and now doesn't reach halfway mark unless when its about to run dry.
- Currently restricting the Safari to the daily office commute only so as to not take a chance with the engine.
- Mechanic says the head needs to be opened and there's a lathe job as the holes of the coolant passage may have expanded so will need to be refilled again.

Any ideas?
Was the water pump replaced with timing belt after 1Lac running? Mine gave way in under 90k and the mechanic had told me at that time that safari water pumps were not going beyond 1lac running. May this solves your problem.
Old 26th May 2014, 15:25   #5612
Senior - BHPian

I got alignment / balancing /rotation done on my Safari and went to highway trip Bangalore - Rameshwaram and back. When I apply slight steering correction to right I hear a slight whining kind of noise from front wheel and also I feel very slight pulsation in my hand.

Is it due to some alignment issue or sign of play in bearing ? There is no sound when steering is straight ?

The vehicle is stopping in straight line on applying braks.

Yesterday while returning before Salem I was at around 110+ and there was an Indica in middle lane and rear tyre of Indica got blown it moved in front of me and I slammed brakes . Driver of Indica also slammed brakes and it turned and became perpendicular to road in front of me.

After parking at safe place we rushed to Indica , Meanwhile 3 small kids and their mom were trying to push the car towards the shoulder. After helping them noticed that tyre of Safari was hot and smelling of burning rubber.

We all thanked our stars that no one was hurt.
Old 26th May 2014, 15:37   #5613
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
Was the water pump replaced with timing belt after 1Lac running? Mine gave way in under 90k and the mechanic had told me at that time that safari water pumps were not going beyond 1lac running. May this solves your problem.
Yes I did replace the water pump around the time the timing belt was changed but not together.

The problem was that the coolant flow into the heater had developed a leakage. Since Ahmedabad heat doesn't warrant a heater, I have had that flow closed and hence the leakage is sorted. Working fine since 2 days. Will watch it for a few days.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

Cheers,
Adi
Old 26th May 2014, 16:15   #5614
BHPian

Hi Folks, my vehicle has just turned 6 months old and i'm already hearing creaking sounds coming from underneath the front and middle parts.
The sounds are faint door type creaking sounds (almost like rusted parts rubbing) whenever the body or suspension tilts over uneven roads.
Is this common or should I get the underbody checked and the suspension greased? (Note the second service was done 2 weeks back)
Old 26th May 2014, 16:17   #5615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
When I apply slight steering correction to right I hear a slight whining kind of noise from front wheel and also I feel very slight pulsation in my hand.
Seems that you need to get brake disc skimmed
Old 27th May 2014, 12:21   #5616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Seems that you need to get brake disc skimmed
But this whining noise is without applying breaks , Just when I steer towards right on triple digit speed. Do you think it is still related to brake disc ?
Old 27th May 2014, 12:40   #5617
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
We all thanked our stars that no one was hurt.
Amit, can you check if Power steering oil level in the vehicle is fine.
If so, check for tire temp using IR thermometer or by hand after high speed drive. If one wheel is hotter, it can mean issue with Bearings.
Old 30th May 2014, 16:40   #5618
BHPian

Hello

Wish all of you good health
My car is up for service this June. As of ow it is in its 4th year and have exhausted all free service coupons. It is still in extended warranty. Now my original TASS has shut shop and I have got call from WASAN motors as reminder

I would like to ask

1>If its okay I get my service done at my local garage whom I know well and wont charge me much
2.>Or is it imperative I do service at TASS

are there some specific things that TASS do like timing belt etc with a local guy may not know or is it just routine oil filter change etc

I am asking this because if you guys recommend TASS i will then go for AMC which is a bit cheap

My car has run about 30K and is used very infrequently with occasional long runs (exceeding 3000km in one trip) and mostly very few and short local runs

Please advise
Old 30th May 2014, 16:45   #5619
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post

I am asking this because if you guys recommend TASS i will then go for AMC which is a bit cheap
I remember a saying.
Any mechanic can spoil your car. But to really screw things up, you need a TASS.

Hehe, just kidding.
For such a low running vehicle, I would say stick to TASS since you would be going only once in a blue moon, unless your local garage has a lift and trained tech with OBD scanner etc.,
Get stuff like engine oil done at local garage, but for timing belt and stuff(change after 5 years) go to TASS.
At the end of 5 years, change all belts and hoses too
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2014, 17:03   #5620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I remember a saying.
Any mechanic can spoil your car. But to really screw things up, you need a TASS.

Hehe, just kidding.
For such a low running vehicle, I would say stick to TASS since you would be going only once in a blue moon, unless your local garage has a lift and trained tech with OBD scanner etc.,
Get stuff like engine oil done at local garage, but for timing belt and stuff(change after 5 years) go to TASS.
At the end of 5 years, change all belts and hoses too
Thanks sir, actually when i read through the manual there are lot of things recommended. My issue is that last year all diesel filter etc were changed which the guy told me that must be changed every 2 years. The issue is I am now going to a new TASS and hence worried if unnecessary amount may be charged for things which are not required.
I will try and see if I can get a good deal on AMC and hopefully keep costs under Tab
For 4th year what are recommended checks I must insist like
1>tension belts
2.vacuum hoses replacements

My worry is that many times when these guys do the changes and after every service I have to rush back to theses guys as they create some new problems

Can you guide me as to how I go about it or just leave it to them and their discretion
Old 30th May 2014, 18:48   #5621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hence worried if unnecessary amount may be charged for things which are not required.
In my view even unnecessary amounts charged by T.A.S.S are quite lesser then what necessary / unnecessary things others charge ( including Maruti , Honda and several private garages) so going to going to T.A.S.S once in a while is not such a terribly bad idea. Having said that I do not mean in any way that A.S.S. unfair practices should be encouraged.

As others said get oil / filter replacement general cleaning outside and for critical adjustments go to T.A.S.S.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 12:13   #5622
BHPian

Thank you
Finally went to wasan and got 2 yr amc for 11k so was cheap
I have one query
He advised me to put
Intex system d which cleans injector and prolongs life
Told me to put one bottle or two every 10k km
I have put him on hold

Should i go for it
2 bottles cost 1200
He told me its to be put in 1/2 tank so will give me bottle and i should put it when tank is 1/2

Is it advisable

I use normal diesel my car runs out of mumbai 2-3 timex a year and rest local
Running is only 30k in 4 years
Old 4th June 2014, 12:36   #5623
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you
Finally went to wasan and got 2 yr amc for 11k so was cheap
I have one query
He advised me to put
Intex system d which cleans injector and prolongs life
Told me to put one bottle or two every 10k km
I have put him on hold

Should i go for it
2 bottles cost 1200
He told me its to be put in 1/2 tank so will give me bottle and i should put it when tank is 1/2

Is it advisable

I use normal diesel my car runs out of mumbai 2-3 timex a year and rest local
Running is only 30k in 4 years
Please do not put anything in the tank. Just put nice clean unadulterated diesel and make sure you change your diesel and oil filters on time.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 12:43   #5624
BHPian

Thanks tsk

though tata website recommends it http://customercare.tatamotors.com/service/fuelAdd.asp it is confusing because at bottom end it says that "not for dicor engine"

There is a thread on system d here, where i have read dadu recommend it, but would steer clear as i regularly change oil and diesel filter

my only concern was

since my car is mostly idle and standing [though i keep my tank always 1/2 to 3/4 full] wont the long standing diesel cause carbon deposit in the injectors as opposed to car that runs constantly??
Old 4th June 2014, 14:34   #5625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

though tata website recommends it http://customercare.tatamotors.com/service/fuelAdd.asp it is confusing because at bottom end it says that "not for dicor engine"

There is a thread on system d here, where i have read dadu recommend it, but would steer clear as i regularly change oil and diesel filter

my only concern was
Open your Safari Dicor manual and check it is recommended there.
System D is useful in certain scanarios if you are finding hesitation / stutter at 1500/1800 RPM System D fixes it.

I use system D periodically 2 Tank full .. Like 2 Tank fulls with system D every six months or so to keep injectors clean.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks