Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2014, 15:28   #5596
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hello All,

FOr all those whos Safari's have crossed 1Lac KM's, what is the reading of your odometer post 1Lac KMs. HAs it moved to SIx digits or got reset to 00000 & started all over.

I quick suggestion please, My reason for asking this is:
1: A friend of mine has come across a SAfari, which is 2012 model. He is interested in buying that. The odometer says says it has done 14k KMs. But how can we make sure that it is actually 14K or 1Lac 14K or greater . My assumption is after 99999KM meter may move back to 00000 (being only 5 digits for display). if this is correct it will be tough to identify the extra 1Lac KMs that the Safari has ran. Or am i missing any trick here!

Any help please. Can OBD scanner help by reading the ECU & finding actual run instead of what shown on ODO.

2: What should be the price of VX of SEP to DEC 2012 model?

3: Is it possible to alter the Odometer readings??

Regards,
Saurabh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Once the vehicle grows old, the remote control starts to rust and all, and one remote has gone bad. I am wondering, can we replace the remote?
Very important as its connected to the immobilizer.
So new remote, or the entire central locking and immobilizer has to be changed?
Where to get new one?
What is the cost?
The unit Der-ALte is talking about, that came with safari with Second remote, also explains the process of reseting your car's lock to a new remote. All you need is a new remote, which can override your current remote, making it obsolete for this car. The process reprograms the COntrol unit to a new remotes' Signals & frequencies.

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 6th May 2014 at 15:51.
Old 6th May 2014, 15:42   #5597
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
Hello All,

FOr all those whos Safari's have crossed 1Lac KM's, what is the reading of your odometer post 1Lac KMs. HAs it moved to SIx digits or got reset to 00000 & started all over.
It does not roll over. It has 6 digits.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 16:30   #5598
Senior - BHPian

Re: Electric seats for Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhagathmp View Post

I'm looking at possibilities of replacing the driver and passenger seats on my 2010 Safari with electrically adjustable seats.
Has anyone in the forum done such a thing ? Not specifically on a Safari or SUV in general but any car for that matter. I want to know if it is doable - what additional wiring, the mounting points etc. If so, what would be the best place to hunt for such uses seats ? any cost estimate would also help.

Regards
Bugs
Its done by my friend who own few garages in Poona. He fitted front electrically adjustable seat, also he replaced last row child seats with last row bench seat of Scorpio. Please refer below pics.

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-photo-3-3.jpg

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-photo-5-2.jpg

Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 13:53   #5599
BHPian

A few months ago someone had posted a solution to the tailgate squeaking problem. It was very simple, put a brown tape on the door hinge. Let me tell you this solution absolutely works. I've not had squeaky noises for a month now (not from tailgate at least, there are plenty of other little clatter and squeaky noises from all over the truck ). I can finally drive without stopping every few kms to open and shut the tailgate to temporarily stop the irritatingly loud squeaks.

I tried searching for the post in which this solution was given to put in a note of thanks, but couldn't find it. Thank you so much to the friend who shared this solution on the forum. Kudos!

Last edited by param22k : 8th May 2014 at 13:57. Reason: Mentioned the wrong door originally. Apologies.
param22k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 14:03   #5600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
Here is what I had done to arrest the rear door rattling, It is working and no rattling from rear door since last 6 months .

Posted the same in Safari pics thread as well.
Finally found the original post. Bulzire, thank you so much for this solution. I works wonderfully and I can vouch for it as well. Cheers!

By the way, greasing on the tape helps with the added tightness of opening/closing the tailgate.
Old 17th May 2014, 16:23   #5601
BHPian

Need help with another irritating noise in the truck cabin.
I'm getting a clank-clank sound from the driver seat for the past few months. I've checked exhaustively under the seat for something loose. The 4x4 ECU and all are tightly secure. The sound seems to be coming from within the seat. It is most prominent when the truck cabin rolls (sideways movement) on speed breakers or potholes. I also hear it sometimes when I move my weight on the seat. I'm at my wits end identifying the culprit.
Old 19th May 2014, 16:20   #5602
AVR
BHPian

Guys,

For the last month or so my TCIC Safari (151,000 km+) has been consuming a lot of coolant/water. There don't seem to be any leaks underneath though I hear a hissing sound (hot gases?) from the footwell. Few things that seem related are mentioned below. Can someone suggest possible root-causes?

- On a trip to Jodhpur few months back, Engine temp would cross the half-way mark slightly but stay there over 6-7 hour drives and AC coolant/water was leaking in the footwell only when being shut down.
- Got the above solved but lately instead of leakages, I only hear the hissing sound and obviously the radiator ends up running dry every week or so.
- The Oil doesn't show any signs of mixing with coolant (pretty much black - time for replacing it too!)
- Engine performance has been consistent and no drop in pickup etc
- AC is being used full-time lately thanks to the Ahmedabad heat!
- No change in exhaust smoke levels or whiteness
- Few weeks back it was reaching the halfway mark very quickly and when we checked the whole radiator was clogged and so got it cleaned up and now doesn't reach halfway mark unless when its about to run dry.
- Currently restricting the Safari to the daily office commute only so as to not take a chance with the engine.
- Mechanic says the head needs to be opened and there's a lathe job as the holes of the coolant passage may have expanded so will need to be refilled again.

Any ideas?
Old 20th May 2014, 17:53   #5603
Senior - BHPian

Got three problems out of which two are major when I was returning on 17th from Jharkhand to Bangalore (2100 Kms drive)

1. Stock battery failed completely at Chandikhol, Odisha in between journey. Stock battery was 3 and half years old. Just 50 Kms to Cuttack. It failed around 9 PM. Battery was not complete dead but some amount of power was there. But for me things of concern was all Orange lights (Heater, Sedimenter, ECU) start blinking once I switch on ignition. It was not taking self at all. With the blinking phenomena, I was not sure whether battery is dead or some wiring problem. I called Tata OnRoad Assistance and they came in Scorpio after 3 - 4 hours. They saw and pulled by Safari with their Scorpio for starting it. It started and then we drove to Hotel in Cuttack. By that time it was 2:30 AM.

Next day, I bought battery for Rs. 6500 (Amaron Hi-way) in Cuttack and resumed my journey by 12:30 PM.

2. Day before yesterday, when I was near Tirupati around 10 PM the front AC blower was not throwing air. However, I can hear the blower noise. Air was coming but extremely slow. Just before leaving for my trip, I had fitted middle row blower and I used middle row blower to cool the cabin.

For sometime, the 2 out of 4 middle row blower was also not throwing air. Not sure why? I stopped at Tirupati in some petrol pump for some rest as I was driving constantly from Vizag. Once I started engine again the middle row blower started working but front blower still not throwing air. I reached Bangalore around 3:30 AM on 19th May.

Today morning, I started car for office and front blower started working again. What could be the reason for this?

3. Out of two horns one horn stopped working somwhere in between. Sometimes it become alive but not always.

Apart from above there were no issues as alltogether Safari was driven for ~5100 Kms including local drives in last 15 days.
Old 20th May 2014, 19:20   #5604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Guys,

For the last month or so my TCIC Safari (151,000 km+) has been consuming a lot of coolant/water. There don't seem to be any leaks underneath though I hear a hissing sound (hot gases?) from the footwell. Few things that seem related are mentioned below. Can someone suggest possible root-causes?

Any ideas?
I can only hazard a guess here. Did you check the radiator cap? If it doesn't seal properly, you would lose water/coolant. It can explain the hiss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post

2. Day before yesterday, when I was near Tirupati around 10 PM the front AC blower was not throwing air. However, I can hear the blower noise. Air was coming but extremely slow. Just before leaving for my trip, I had fitted middle row blower and I used middle row blower to cool the cabin.

What could be the reason for this?

3. Out of two horns one horn stopped working somwhere in between. Sometimes it become alive but not always.

Apart from above there were no issues as alltogether Safari was driven for ~5100 Kms including local drives in last 15 days.
May be the technician who fitted the blower didn't do a thorough job. Obviously there is a loose connection somewhere there.
Check the power supply to the blowers and horns especially to and from the relays.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 20:22   #5605
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

For the last month or so my TCIC Safari (151,000 km+) has been consuming a lot of coolant/water.
- Mechanic says the head needs to be opened and there's a lathe job as the holes of the coolant passage may have expanded so will need to be refilled again.

Any ideas?
I hope that the head gasket is not leaking. For checking this,(please be careful) while engine is running, remove the radiator cap and see if bubbles are coming.Tell some one to rev the engine and look if bubbles are coming.Since you said that there is no black smoke, this is only a small possibility.

Quote:
when I was near Tirupati around 10 PM the front AC blower was not throwing air. However, I can hear the blower noise. Air was coming but extremely slow. I stopped at Tirupati in some petrol pump for some rest ...I started engine again the middle row blower started working but front blower still not throwing air. What could be the reason for this?
You could check if icing is cause for this.It usually happens to us Nano owners. For the safari, I would imagine, there would be an AC cut out relay to avoid icing.please check if the horn/AC fittings guy has wired the wrong relay.
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 11:22   #5606
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I can only hazard a guess here. Did you check the radiator cap? If it doesn't seal properly, you would lose water/coolant. It can explain the hiss.
The cap is alright so that may not be the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
I hope that the head gasket is not leaking. For checking this,(please be careful) while engine is running, remove the radiator cap and see if bubbles are coming.Tell some one to rev the engine and look if bubbles are coming.Since you said that there is no black smoke, this is only a small possibility.
Need to check this out and see today.

Thanks.
Old 21st May 2014, 11:48   #5607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Formation of vapours on cooling coil must be the cause for it. Get the AC cut-off thermostat checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
You could check if icing is cause for this.It usually happens to us Nano owners. For the safari, I would imagine, there would be an AC cut out relay to avoid icing.please check if the horn/AC fittings guy has wired the wrong relay.
+1 Happened with my Nano and after 1 year TASC was able to solve it.

Quote:
The cap is alright so that may not be the cause.
Need to check this out and see today.
Thanks.
Do one thing, Open the cap when the engine is cool, start the car and revv engine untill it reaches half way mark, if there is steam (white smoke) coming out of radiator or the water starts boiling then it is a head-gasket problem.

You know my Indica ran 50K kms with a bad gasket, it had the same symptoms, the radiator would run out of water in a week or so, the car would heat up quickly to half-way mark, there was no white smoke. When it was finally traced to head-gasket the engine has had so much damage that we had to instead go for a engine overhaul.

Do the above check and if my assumptions are correct you will have to change the gasket, do it quickly or else it will ruin the engine,

Last edited by mercedised : 21st May 2014 at 11:52.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 12:14   #5608
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Formation of vapours on cooling coil must be the cause for it. Get the AC cut-off thermostat checked.

+1 Happened with my Nano and after 1 year TASC was able to solve it.

Do one thing, Open the cap when the engine is cool, start the car and revv engine untill it reaches half way mark, if there is steam (white smoke) coming out of radiator or the water starts boiling then it is a head-gasket problem.

You know my Indica ran 50K kms with a bad gasket, it had the same symptoms, the radiator would run out of water in a week or so, the car would heat up quickly to half-way mark, there was no white smoke. When it was finally traced to head-gasket the engine has had so much damage that we had to instead go for a engine overhaul.

Do the above check and if my assumptions are correct you will have to change the gasket, do it quickly or else it will ruin the engine,
Thanks Abhishek. There used to be leakage in the driver footwell earlier so do you think the AC-cut off thermostat could be the same reason for the coolant consumption?
Old 21st May 2014, 12:42   #5609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Abhishek. There used to be leakage in the driver footwell earlier so do you think the AC-cut off thermostat could be the same reason for the coolant consumption?
It can't be, if the thermostat will not cut-off then vapour formation over coil will prevent flow of air, that's it. This has been happening to my Nano, but no coolant drop problem.
Old 21st May 2014, 13:23   #5610
Senior - BHPian

Anuj answers in bold below -

Quote:
Got three problems out of which two are major when I was returning on 17th from Jharkhand to Bangalore (2100 Kms drive)

1. Stock battery failed completely at Chandikhol, Odisha in between

Next day, I bought battery for Rs. 6500 (Amaron Hi-way) in Cuttack and resumed my journey by 12:30 PM.

Due to age the battery would be down

2. Day before yesterday, when I was near Tirupati around 10 PM the front
Today morning, I started car for office and front blower started working again. What could be the reason for this?

Get it checked by Shaju he will confirm it could be some dust blockage in the pipe

Guess due to the usage & age of the Horn it has gone, get it changed.

gowda79 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks