Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2014, 16:03   #5566
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

tsk, no change in engine note. Another observation is when this happens, rmp meter does not cross more than 2500, does not matter how hard I press the accelerator.
Old 16th April 2014, 16:06   #5567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Just place your fingers behind the edge of the pad and pull it out with little force. It is similar to opening lid of a jar.
The plastic pad has small wire connectors and outs fully detachable.
----------------------------
This is for model without airbag. I am not sure if some special precautions are required for airbags or not.
Many thanks amitk26.. I could open the horn pad exactly as you said. However, I realized that the steering wheel needs to be detached in order to fix the 'horn ring' properly and this required a box spanner of the right size. Hence I took the vehicle to TASS; the advantage I had after the above exercise is that I could very specifically tell them the issue/ show the hanging part.

The mechanic at TASS took-out the steering wheel and showed me that the screws that retain the 'horn ring' were missing. The same was fixed with two screws and the horn started behaving right. I was out of TASS in an hour's time . Knowledge is power
sunil_k_u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2014, 16:11   #5568
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruty View Post
tsk, no change in engine note. Another observation is when this happens, rmp meter does not cross more than 2500, does not matter how hard I press the accelerator.
If your engine note is not changing, and meter is showing 100, then meter is faulty.
When you cross 2500rpm i.e. rev hard then also, the meter is not showing anything but your rpm is higher.
Do you have OBD II dongle?
That will catch this issue
Old 16th April 2014, 16:15   #5569
BHPian

TSK, unfortunately I do not have OBD II dongle :(, I was going through the forum to find how to get it. Can you help?
bruty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2014, 16:18   #5570
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
TSK, unfortunately I do not have OBD II dongle :(, I was going through the forum to find how to get it. Can you help?
If you can get your vehicle to Noida I can diagnose it for you.
I bought mine for dx.com
Old 17th April 2014, 10:07   #5571
BHPian

Dear All,

I observed today that if I keep idling the RPM stays at around 800 but as I start driving and press the accelerator and RPM needle crosses 1500, it starts dropping after that and the meter starts showing the reading around 100 during idling after that.

Last edited by bruty : 17th April 2014 at 10:12.
Old 18th April 2014, 11:47   #5572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... if I keep idling the RPM stays at around 800 but as I start driving and press the accelerator and RPM needle crosses 1500, it starts dropping after that and the meter starts showing the reading around 100 during idling after that.
Your RPM meter is definitely faulty. Strange case - RPM meters are quite reliable usually.
Old 18th April 2014, 20:35   #5573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Your RPM meter is definitely faulty. Strange case - RPM meters are quite reliable usually.
I have another strange case to mention. Occassionally, while using the handbrake for stopping during a drive (toll booth fee payment, for eg.), and then continuing with the drive after releasing it, the speedo doesnt go beyond 40kmph!

The solution for now is to park, apply and release handbrake. Definetely needs to be mentioned during the upcoming annual service.

I understand Indicas post 2004 had an acceleration sensor around the handbrake area. Perhaps Safari has a similar setup. Can experts please comment?

About the issue, it surfaced late last year or so,after the seats, upholstry, on the floor were removed in order to paint matte black anti corrosive paint.
Old 18th April 2014, 22:13   #5574
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We did a diagnostic today. Meter is faulty. For example, it started showing 2000rpm constant. Engine was revving normal, and we also confirmed the same via OBD II dongle.
Speaking of reliability, this is Tata .
My console was changed under warranty at 82000kms on the odo.
Old 21st April 2014, 11:47   #5575
Team-BHP Support

Steering "obstruction" problem

A problem as re-occurred.
Some time back, my Safari steering started jamming up a bit. While turning, esp when stationary, there was a point of "resistance".
Applying more force to steering wheel would allow the wheel to turn. It was bad with vehicle cold and lessened when vehicle warmed up.

I did not get to the bottom of this as the steering box developed a leak and had to be overhauled. Also changed the center pin.

Recently, the problems come back.
Esp while turning left, there is some sort of "resistance" at a point. Its bad when you just start driving, and gets "loosened" up.

What could be the cause? Its like some part gets stuck somewhere.
Before I hand her over for experimentation at the TASS, I need to get informed, so I can supervise the job, and get the exact problematic part changed.
Old 21st April 2014, 13:10   #5576
Senior - BHPian

Re: Steering "obstruction" problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
... While turning, esp when stationary, there was a point of "resistance".
Applying more force to steering wheel would allow the wheel to turn. It was bad with vehicle cold and lessened when vehicle warmed up. ...
Hmmm... Exactly the same thing I am noticing for the past few months. I though this was due to tyre pressure or a stone on the ground, especially while starting to roll, but never came back to it because while running everything is fine.

I am also getting large drops of oil (blackish, so I assumed it is engine oil) on the floor of my basement. Happens only if I drive for at least 30 minutes or so, but not if I have gone out for a short trip. Is it linked with the steering problem???
Old 21st April 2014, 13:19   #5577
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hmmm... Exactly the same thing I am noticing for the past few months. I though this was due to tyre pressure or a stone on the ground, especially while starting to roll, but never came back to it because while running everything is fine.

I am also getting large drops of oil (blackish, so I assumed it is engine oil) on the floor of my basement. Happens only if I drive for at least 30 minutes or so, but not if I have gone out for a short trip. Is it linked with the steering problem???
Power steering oil is not blackish. Do check the rod which connects the steering to the steering box. Any leakage around that area?
Old 22nd April 2014, 11:17   #5578
BHPian

Quote:
We did a diagnostic today. Meter is faulty. For example, it started showing 2000rpm constant. Engine was revving normal, and we also confirmed the same via OBD II dongle.
Speaking of reliability, this is Tata .
My console was changed under warranty at 82000kms on the odo.
Thanks TSK for all the help, sorry for the late response, i was busy with work. Yes as confirmed by TSK, it was faulty meter and everything else was working as supposed to be.
Old 22nd April 2014, 16:27   #5579
BHPian

Quote:
Recently, the problems come back.
Esp while turning left, there is some sort of "resistance" at a point. Its bad when you just start driving, and gets "loosened" up.
The steering in Tata Safari is hydraulically assisted. There is an oil pump that provides the hydraulic pressure and a rotary valve that regulates the pressure depending on the amount of force exerted on the steering as sensed by a torsion sensor mechanism.

Some of these parts could malfunction and create the problem, which eases when the oil becomes less viscous. You can raise both front wheels and check steering operation.

Hope this is of some help.

Mohan.
Old 22nd April 2014, 17:17   #5580
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOHAN_99 View Post
The steering in Tata Safari is hydraulically assisted. There is an oil pump that provides the hydraulic pressure and a rotary valve that regulates the pressure depending on the amount of force exerted on the steering as sensed by a torsion sensor mechanism.

Some of these parts could malfunction and create the problem, which eases when the oil becomes less viscous. You can raise both front wheels and check steering operation.

Hope this is of some help.

Mohan.
I recently got the steering overhauled from ZF
This is a problem with the pump? Or could it be due to some other mechanical obstruction in the steering system?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks