Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2014, 09:00   #5551
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
@bhagathmp,Can you hear the sound more prominently from inside the car or is it more louder outside when the vehicle is in motion?
The sound is only audible while in motion, and I do not want to risk someone on the bike / car riding that close to the truck to listen for the sound from outside. . With all windows rolled up, it is very prominent from the inside, even with AC on blower 3.

I'm suspecting a loose nut / screw but cannot pin point the exact source yet. I'm planning to drop the truck off at the service centre tomorrow and let them examine it for a day.

Regards
Bugs.
Old 9th April 2014, 15:16   #5552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Safari experts, need an advice. On my safari i noticed that the bolts attaching the stabilizer bar (anti roll bar) to the lower arm are not fully tightened. I can shake the bolts with my hand. Is this the way it has to be? I asked my SA and he is also not clear. So far i have not replaced any parts in my suspension.
I am pasting the Question from "Ameaa" as it went unanswered, & had look at my Safari, I too can observe the same thing. This can be a coincidence, but better to hav an answer for this from experts.

"
Safari experts, need an advice. On my safari i noticed that the bolts attaching the stabilizer bar (anti roll bar) to the lower arm are not fully tightened. I can shake the bolts with my hand. Is this the way it has to be? I asked my SA and he is also not clear. So far i have not replaced any parts in my suspension.
"

Regards,
Saurabh.
Old 9th April 2014, 20:18   #5553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
.... I can shake the bolts with my hand. ....
I'm sure this is not how it's supposed to be!
Though I am not absolutely certain, I can say quite definitively that leaving bolts slack like this would represent completely unacceptable engineering practice. This is not expected in a product from a major manufacturer.

In fact, the tightening instructions must be there in the service manual; I suspect your service adviser is just too lazy to look it up.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 14:38   #5554
BHPian

Hello Experts,

My Tata Safari 2.2VTT Lx developed a rather simple issue, but is very much annoying to myself and fellow drivers on the road. The issue I am referring to is with the vehicle horn - it gets activated while I am turning the steering for taking sharp turns and honks on its own. This happens while the steering is returning to its original position after the turn as well. The vehicle honks while taking turns and while the steering returns to the original position after the turn. This gets very bad if I am turning the vehicle slowly and if I have to slowdown during the curve and needs to keep the steering in 'turned position'. One can imagine how bad it will be on a busy road .

The issue started some time ago as the horn pad would not work when the steering was turned about 180 degrees. However, it worked when the turn is within 180 degrees. Now the behavior is changed to exactly opposite as when the steering is turned, it honks automatically. I had once shown it to the TASS but nothing much was done and I was managing like this last 3 months or so.

It looks to me that there is some contact issue inside the horn pad or somewhere inside. I was thinking of checking it myself before taking it to TASS due to the efforts and time to be spend just to correct this rather simple issue (I hope so). Has anyone come across such an issue? Is there a procedure kept somewhere on how to open the horn pad and near by areas of Tata Safari? Any fellow BHPians opened and the horn pad on the steering and nearby areas of Safari who can share the wisdom here? All my searches on the web resulted for other makes of cars and nothing for the Safari. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sunil.
Old 14th April 2014, 15:51   #5555
Senior - BHPian

It seems someone flicked my Safari LX's internal fuse box sticker. It is not mentioned in owners manual as well. Anybody having idea where to get another one? Do service center keeps this sticker with them?
Anybody having online link for fuse sticker diagram please post here.
Old 14th April 2014, 15:55   #5556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
It seems someone flicked my Safari LX's internal fuse box sticker. It is not mentioned in owners manual as well. Anybody having idea where to get another one? Do service center keeps this sticker with them?
Anybody having online link for fuse sticker diagram please post here.
I could send you a high-res pic from my sticker if it will help your cause
Deeps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 16:06   #5557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
I could send you a high-res pic from my sticker if it will help your cause
That will be great Deeps. If possible please send photograph or upload here. I will PM you my email-id.
Old 15th April 2014, 16:55   #5558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_k_u View Post
Hello Experts,

My Tata Safari 2.2VTT Lx developed a rather simple issue, but is very much annoying to myself and fellow drivers on the road. The issue I am referring to is with the vehicle horn - it gets activated while I am turning the steering for taking sharp turns and honks on its own.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any fellow BHPians opened and the horn pad on the steering and nearby areas of Safari who can share the wisdom here? All my searches on the web resulted for other makes of cars and nothing for the Safari. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sunil.

I managed to do some findindgs further on this by going down the steering with a flash light. Noticed that the 'ring' (where the metal contact touches the connecting ring at the bottom part of the steering wheel) has been detached from the bottom of the steering wheel and is hanging loose. Looks like it has fallen-off the steering wheel and is making random contacts while steering is rotated, resulting in randon honks.

I was thinking of fixing the ring by opening the horn pad and accessing it though the opening. Could not make out how the horn pad is fixed on the steering. I could not locate any screws that holds the horn pad in place ( unlike other makes of cars). Is it fixed using some clip sort of things? What is the best way of tackling this issue? Thoughts of visiting TASS returns.

Sunil
Old 15th April 2014, 22:50   #5559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_k_u View Post
Could not make out how the horn pad is fixed on the steering. I could not locate any screws that holds the horn pad in place ( unlike other makes of cars). Is it fixed using some clip sort of things? What is the best way of tackling this issue? Thoughts of visiting TASS returns.

Sunil
Just place your fingers behind the edge of the pad and pull it out with little force. It is similar to opening lid of a jar.
The plastic pad has small wire connectors and outs fully detachable.

This is for model without airbag. I am not sure if some special precautions are required for airbags or not.

No loose nuts of lower arm results in little wobble in wheel. It happened in my safari once.
A conman mechanic showed this to me as sign of suspension wear and gave fat estimate however I decided to take it to naveen of automech koramangala recommended in TBHp directory for suspension work and he sent me back after tightening nut free of cost.

Incidentaly the guy who gave estimate is also recommended here
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post

I am pasting the Question from "Ameaa" as it went unanswered, & had look at my Safari, I too can observe the same thing. This can be a coincidence, but better to hav an answer for this from experts.

"
"

Regards,
Saurabh.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 16th April 2014 at 06:47. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
amitk26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2014, 13:10   #5560
BHPian

Dear fellow members,
I am observing a unique behavior from last 2-3 weeks in my Safari dicor. When I start it the rpm meter shows ideal rmp around 800 and after some tome say 10 mins it drops near to 100. This happen during run though I have not checked it, what happens if I leave it idealing. Though I have not faced any loss of power or extra smoke, but I am still worried and want to know the reason for the same. Could you please let me know where should I start.
Old 16th April 2014, 14:23   #5561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruty View Post
Dear fellow members,
I am observing a unique behavior from last 2-3 weeks in my Safari dicor. When I start it the rpm meter shows ideal rmp around 800 and after some tome say 10 mins it drops near to 100. This happen during run though I have not checked it, what happens if I leave it idealing. Though I have not faced any loss of power or extra smoke, but I am still worried and want to know the reason for the same. Could you please let me know where should I start.
Hi!

I've been facing this for the past 2yrs with my 2.2 Dicor.

1) If you have filled fuel at a suspect gas station, suggest you wait till you empty the tank, do one tank full with system D, and see if the problem still persists. Also check if there is white smoke or more black smoke than usual coming out under idling.

2) The correct way to diagnose this is to first check if there are any errors in the OBD.

If no specific errors are found, with OBD, then you need to ask TASS to do a Diamond Diagnostic test, which is I believe performed by either a senior mechanic or a Tata Engineer. This test determines the health of your injectors and fuel pump. If either is faulty, TASS will send it for reconditioning. Earlier they refused to recondition, but now their policy has changed and they are willing to send for recon.

If the Injectors and fuel pump are ok, then it could either be bad fuel or bad sensors somewhere in the fuel system, or leaks in the fuel system. TASS can check these.

I tried all of the above but since the TASS refused to recon the injectors and pump 2 yrs ago, have been adding System D to the diesel for every filling, and the problem went away.

I got my injectors reconditioned about a month ago, but have started to notice the same problem again. Don't have the patience to take it again to TASS, so will revert to adding System D to the fuel again.

With the reconditioning, the pickup has improved and the white smoke i used to get is gone.

Do you experience this only with a cold start in the morning or anytime during running as well, when you stop at a traffic light ?

Last edited by smsrini : 16th April 2014 at 14:25.
Old 16th April 2014, 14:40   #5562
BHPian

smsrini, Thank you for your reply. I will start with System D first. But I have observed this even after 2 tank fills, may be I will change the petrol pump. I have not observed any smoke during idling.

If it still continues even after system D, I will go to TASS for Diamond Diagnostic test.
I observe this any time of the day and is not linked with cold start.
Old 16th April 2014, 14:53   #5563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... When I start it the rpm meter shows ideal rmp around 800 and after some tome say 10 mins it drops near to 100. ...
Drops "near to 100"? Or drops "by 100 rpm", i.e. to 700-odd RPM. If it drops to 100RPM, it will definitely stall and not recover.
Old 16th April 2014, 15:44   #5564
BHPian

The needle on rpm meter shows reading around 100, but there is no loss in power or truck does not stall at all.
Old 16th April 2014, 15:50   #5565
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The needle on rpm meter shows reading around 100, but there is no loss in power or truck does not stall at all.
The engine note changes?
If not then its a faulty RPM meter.
Connect OBD and see if RPM is actually dropping.

If RPM goes even to 500rpm, you will feel it severely in engine note.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks