Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2014, 20:36   #5536
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
... the third one inside black plastic (yellow tape I applied) looks like some kind of extra wire which touches (by design?) the ground body of the socket when lighter is pushed in. ...
What is the purpose of this wire? I do not smoke (don't need to light cigarettes). Can I just mask out this wire and remove altogether from the business?...
That is the illumination that comes on when the plug is inserted all the way in, engaging the curved electrode on the black piece with the shorter electrode like a switch. You can safely leave it out - just tape off the loose connection wire.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 20:51   #5537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
That is the illumination that comes on when the plug is inserted all the way in...
You are awesome! Thanks- just the information I needed. Now I know the reason why it exists.

Quick question guys

After today's DIY on cigarette lighter issue, my front AC is blowing "hot only" air. No effect of changing the temperature control knob. However, blower runs OK, AC compressor engages fine, roof AC chills too.

I am guessing, cold-hot air mixture door is stuck open during reassembly. Is it electrically operated in Safari VX? Any pointers- where it is located? Hope I don't end up going to TASS for this.

Tia,
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 23rd March 2014 at 20:55. Reason: merge quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 21:26   #5538
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
You are awesome! Thanks- just the information I needed. Now I know the reason why it exists.

Quick question guys

After today's DIY on cigarette lighter issue, my front AC is blowing "hot only" air. No effect of changing the temperature control knob. However, blower runs OK, AC compressor engages fine, roof AC chills too.

I am guessing, cold-hot air mixture door is stuck open during reassembly. Is it electrically operated in Safari VX? Any pointers- where it is located? Hope I don't end up going to TASS for this.

Tia,
-BJ
Nope, its mechanical flap mechanism. Maybe its stuck at hot.
Only Storme has it electronic
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 13:02   #5539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosaf View Post
..My TCIC beast's lights flicker when engine is running. is it a serious issue?...
If you are referring to Headlights, Get your alternator checked. Or may be you can check your bulbs, by replacing them & testing with spare bulbs.
saurabh2711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 13:39   #5540
BHPian

Had asked this question a couple of pages back,as seen in the video below the sound that can be heard from 0.30 onwards is still not gone,found no solution myself-it sounds like crickets chirping. The liquid spillage on the front shocks is coolant overrun so that's a relief.

The sound goes away when i press the clutch to engage gear but comes back soon after.Its heard well and loud from the front driver wheel well and driver area.Nothing can be heard from the top engine area/belt region. Would like some hints on what it might be before going to the TASS cause for the guys at the local TASS,every sound coming from a Tata Safari is normal

Some advice from fellow Safari owners
Old 1st April 2014, 13:54   #5541
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Had asked this question a couple of pages back,as seen in the video below the sound that can be heard from 0.30 onwards is still not gone,found no solution myself-it sounds like crickets chirping. The liquid spillage on the front shocks is coolant overrun so that's a relief.
The culprits can be
1. Engine mounts
2. Release bearing
3. Some belt

Get these three things checked.
Old 1st April 2014, 14:21   #5542
BHPian

Safari experts, need an advice. On my safari i noticed that the bolts attaching the stabilizer bar (anti roll bar) to the lower arm are not fully tightened. I can shake the bolts with my hand. Is this the way it has to be? I asked my SA and he is also not clear. So far i have not replaced any parts in my suspension.
Old 1st April 2014, 17:54   #5543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Some advice from fellow Safari owners
This sound is of the clutch release bearing. My friends Sept. 2012 Safari has this from Day 1, and the SA at TASS said that it was normal, and that it is present in most Safaris and Sumos. This noise is not heard when the clutch is fully depressed, and the intensity of this noise is at its maximum when the clutch pedal is depressed by only a centimeter or two. A year and a half, and 45,000kms later, my friend has not faced any problems with the clutch (or any other component for that matter, touchwood), He also reports a healthy economy of 13-14kmpl with daily city use and a 300km odd Bombay-Pune-Bombay weekend trip.
Old 1st April 2014, 20:11   #5544
BHPian

The release bearing theory makes sense cause the sound appears and disappears when the clutch is depressed. As @aalog says,it might be "normal" but can this cause long run damages?, Is this the sound of clutch failure and also do I have to get this addressed now itself for can wait til my next service in August? Any lubrication can be done in the meantime if possible without getting all the clutch assembly removed?

I also have another issue,I have been getting a strange metallic/tincan like knocking sound from the front left area while driving over bumpy roads.The sound does not repeat every time but sometimes as if a metallic part is loose near the suspension area. Driving over humps/speed breakers does not cause the sound to repeat but only heard when going over mini potholes/uneven roads.The suspension bushes were replaced and all was greased last service so what do I check for?

Last edited by richie4u : 1st April 2014 at 20:17.
Old 2nd April 2014, 23:36   #5545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also have another issue,I have been getting a strange metallic/tincan like knocking sound from the front left area while driving over bumpy roads.The sound does not repeat every time but sometimes as if a metallic part is loose near the suspension area. Driving over humps/speed breakers does not cause the sound to repeat but only heard when going over mini potholes/uneven roads.The suspension bushes were replaced and all was greased last service so what do I check for?
It seems like the usual culprit - the idler arm, just get it tightened and the noise will stay away for some time.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 11:45   #5546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
It seems like the usual culprit - the idler arm, just get it tightened and the noise will stay away for some time.
Could be a loose cable behind the glove compartment, or even something kept in the glove compartment. The GC lamp cable is usually the culprit - it is not stayed down. Over time, other wires in the harness behind the GC also come lose and rattle against the firewall.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 13:34   #5547
BHPian

Hi Guys, help / pointers needed.

I had my 2010 EX undergo the 60K service the past weekend. The guys at Mohandas Motors here in TRV did a pretty good job of fixing the minor issues i had pointed out to them. I was however presented with a dirtied out interior - which seems to be common these days. I was offered a free interior cleaning when i pointed this out to the SM.

Now coming to the help i requested for. Post servicing, I hear a faint "tak, tak" sound coming from somewhere under the Front Right side of the dash. Have been listening to his over the past couple of days, and seem to be coming either from under the steering column, or there about. The service guys had the door pads removed, found couple of wires hanging loose, tied them up, but the sound still remain. After a 300 KM round trip, the sound is more prominent now. its not periodic or rhythmic, it comes even if you travel on smooth tarmac. The Senior service guy said it feel like metal parts hitting / rubbing. Opened up the bonnet inspected but found nothing.

I'm to take a trip with my family next week, and would like to isolate and rectify this issue. What could be the source of this noise, what / where do we need to look? the vehicle is still with me and i use it to commute to work daily. Though after the 300 km trip, the frequency of this noise has increased considerably. During the service, both tie rod ends were replaced, brake pads removed and cleaned. That’s pretty much that was done.

Thanks in advance.

Bugs.
Old 8th April 2014, 14:46   #5548
BHPian

With regards to my problem I took the vehicle to a TASC,according to them the clutch sound is in the normal range and does not need any action for now.

As per them it was not from the idler arm but from some loose nuts and bolts causing vibrations.Anyways they tightened every possible nut and bolt and clips and my Safari is rattle free for now.

@bhagathmp,Can you hear the sound more prominently from inside the car or is it more louder outside when the vehicle is in motion?
Old 8th April 2014, 19:45   #5549
BHPian

Is Engine Flush necessary when I move from synthetic to Mineral oil ?
Read some mixed suggestions in other threads.
Old 8th April 2014, 19:53   #5550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
Is Engine Flush necessary when I move from synthetic to Mineral oil ?
No it is not.
Drain the oil while the engine is warm/hot. Refill with fresh oil. Change the oil filter.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks