Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2014, 08:39   #5506
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Anuj,

1. You should get the oil in the oil shops. Else ask your service advisor to give you oil in a bottle & charge it as top-up. (Take a bottle with you).

But oil sitting inside the sump should be similar to oil sitting in bottle on the shop shelf .. Suggest you drive the vehicle and see if it is sluggish. Do a visual inspection of the oil (use dipstick)

2. If service centre is saying 5000 km of life left, then it may actually have more life !
2a. If braking efficiency has reduced, then change. Else review this part.

3. Get a check done at A.S.S

4. Curtains - check outside. Spares in dealership are often more expensive than outside.

Last edited by condor : 21st February 2014 at 08:40.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 09:10   #5507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I have also found window curtains in accessory section of Tata Safari website. Considering my drive will be in summer, I absolutely need this to keep cabin cool. Otherwise, I have to rely on cheap Chinese make suction based curtains.

Anuj, for such long drives, I would recommend you use the suction cup types available on the road junctions. However, use these in the 2nd and 3rd row windows, and if you are comfortable with it, then at the back too. For the front two windows, please use the rollup type curtains that give some protection but dont block your ORVMS.

I typically put two suction type screens per each rear window, and it does keep the car quite cool and bearable.

Buy a dozen of these and some spare suction cups. should get them for around 500bucks if you bargain.

cheers!
smsrini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 09:40   #5508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosaf View Post
My TCIC safari pulls to the left under hard breaking.But its straight line stability is good and there is no pulling on a plain stretch of road. Has anyone faced this issue,if yes kindly throw some light on it as the tyre wear is all even and also got the wheel balancing done.
Another issue is that the clutch pedal is too tight and there is an oil leakage and i have to top up the clutch oil every 1000 kms. Will changing the master and slave cylinder help alone or should i go for the entire clutch plate set replacement.
Check the tie rods and related components. My earlier TCIC Safari had one tie rod and some rubber bushes changed and the pulling to one side stopped. If the oil leaks in clutch reservoir, get it attended to immediately. Replacement of the master/slave cylinders will take care of that.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 09:46   #5509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Else ask your service advisor to give you oil in a bottle & charge it as top-up.
Ahh, I didn't get this idea of buying from Service center and ask them to charge for top-up. Thank for pointing it out.

Quote:
But oil sitting inside the sump should be similar to oil sitting in bottle on the shop shelf
Agree, it should be same. I will do inspection of oil.

Quote:
If service centre is saying 5000 km of life left, then it may actually have more life !
This part is confusing as we need some expert eyes to check the brake pads. I may not able to find out about its life. I will check again with somebody's help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Anuj, for such long drives, I would recommend you use the suction cup types available on the road junctions.
I have using this suction type curtains and it is quite effective too. Only thing is it is little difficult to manage. But, after supreme court order we have no choice.

Again, I will but dozen of them. In front window, I put single of those and visibility from ORVM is not blocked.

Also, I would like to share one tip: while driving Safari in summer season, always wear full shirt/full t-shirt. Do not wear half t-shirt/shirt. It will fry your right hand. I learned it hard way last time when I was returning from Tirupati in peak summer. During next drive to Rameshwaram, Kanyakumari I wore full t-shirt and my hand was fine from those sunburns.
anujmishra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 12:19   #5510
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I have big long drive scheduled in the month of May - 2014 (Bangalore - Giridh, Jharkhand - Bangalore). Total would be around 6000 Kms appx including local run.
Iam also planning to go to Deoghar in April 1st week. any pointers to the road conditions and safety issues?
Old 23rd February 2014, 18:25   #5511
Senior - BHPian

Finally have a Safari 2.2 to drive around! Brother's bought it but it's a common runabout in the family. Awesome drive - 2008 car done 87k when bought (91k now!)

First niggle : the headlight stays on after the light's turned off, and the ignition is turned off. It used to turn off after a minute but does not since yesterday - I've been disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, which switches it off.

Had to replace the battery earth terminal clamp + wire(that got cut) on the last drive at Madikeri. Not sure if it's related at all.
Old 24th February 2014, 09:38   #5512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Finally have a Safari 2.2 to drive around! Brother's bought it but it's a common runabout in the family. Awesome drive - 2008 car done 87k when bought (91k now!)

First niggle : the headlight stays on after the light's turned off, and the ignition is turned off. It used to turn off after a minute but does not since yesterday - I've been disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, which switches it off.

Had to replace the battery earth terminal clamp + wire(that got cut) on the last drive at Madikeri. Not sure if it's related at all.
Don't do that. It is a feature - Follow me home or whatever. It is there to illuminate the path for you. The wire getting cut has nothing to do with this feature.

Enjoy your drive.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 11:44   #5513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post

Sometimes this may be related to central locking. Try disabling it, and recheck. Or it can be related to some wire where you put in the ignition key. Get it checked by an electrician, i hope it isnt anything big. Keep us posted.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 11:43   #5514
BHPian

HI All,

I come up with a problem of different fuel source.
I met my old friend recently, who ownes a PETROL TATA SAFARI 2004 model.
He ran his beast over 200000KMs & had to go for an engine overhaul/rebore or reinstall of Head asembly+cylinders. This is what he had told me:
{please pardon my wrong technical terms, if any}
Had got a fresh set of head, Cylinders, valves & all other parts installed from the TASS directly after the REBORE. However, his issue is:
1: He claims to have lost the power of the engine completely after the overhaul. The engine chokes in gears 1,2.. Engine takes significant amount of jerks at these gears & do not generate enough power.
2: Car runs smooth on gears 3rd & above, but need high revs.
After the occurances of these issues, he went back to TASS, who have no answers/solution to his issues. They "assume" to have incorrectly REBORED the head/cylinder blocks. The correct dimension of these blocks are not available with TASS, nor they are able to find it from correct source.
His engine is a 16valve. Being new to PETROL SAFARI, i am not sure about the problems.

Can anyone please help me with these issues.
WHat he is looking for is :
1: Picture of the engine head of a petrol SAFARI, if anyone has it.
2: The correct dimensions of the engine block?Cylinders etc. or more of a blue print of the engine.
3: If anyone has the Petrol SAFARI, can the owner share the pictures of the section he is looking for. I'll ask the details & share, if someone agrees.

He also said there are only 3 petrol SAFARI's on Pune. One is his, 2nd owned by Mr. Vikram Pillai, 3rd I can't remember. He did approched the 2 owners, but they refused to share the required info. or even take the picture of the engine.
My apologies if these gentlemen are members of our forum, but this is the information that he has passed on to me, hence no offences meant.

An additional question: Does the 2.2 Dicor SAFARI has 8 valve setup??

Regards,
Saurabh.

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 4th March 2014 at 11:44.
Old 5th March 2014, 11:47   #5515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
HI All,

I come up with a problem of different fuel source.
I met my old friend recently, who ownes a PETROL TATA SAFARI 2004 model.
Delhi is the land of petrol safari's. Owing to the love from Gandhi Family. Bullet proof ones. Used to see atleast 1 parked at all times at autolinks garage. But now that workshop has closed. Try Manoj - 9958367575, used to works at autolinks and now with a friend in south delhi. He might be able to guide you to someone..
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 12:53   #5516
BHPian

Prowler thank you for the information on tie rod and rubber bushes for my TCIC.

Another question i had was that will changing the master/slave cylinder along with clutch plate set , bearing , pressure plate etc help as well in improving the overall pick up and mileage? I am currently getting about 10.5 kmpl with 60:40 ratio in favour of highway. can it be improved?

Best Regards.
Old 11th March 2014, 14:22   #5517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosaf View Post
Another question i had was that will changing the master/slave cylinder along with clutch plate set , bearing , pressure plate etc help as well in improving the overall pick up and mileage? I am currently getting about 10.5 kmpl with 60:40 ratio in favour of highway. can it be improved?
Clutch parts replacement will not affect your mileage unless you had clutch slipping issues. Your mileage largely depends on the way you drive - more so when it comes to a bigger car like Safari. If you drive sedately and keep the engine around 2000 rpm most of the time - it will return decent mileage : About 9-10 km in the city and about 13-13.5 km in highways. These are the figures I used to get in my TCIC. The highway figures have slightly improved with my DiCor.

Mind you it is almost a 2 ton car and it does return reasonable mileage if you don't floor the pedal.
Old 12th March 2014, 14:52   #5518
Senior - BHPian

Hi! Does anyone have the receipt from the 1lac kms service ? What does it cost ? anything specific that must be done during this service ?

How much does it cost to change the shocks and springs on all 4 wheels ?

How much is a complete suspension overhaul cost ?

thanks
Srini
Old 12th March 2014, 15:07   #5519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Hi! Does anyone have the receipt from the 1lac kms service ? What does it cost ? anything specific that must be done during this service ?
1L service calls for timing belt change unless done earlier. I did my service few days back and costed 14K since my belt was replaced earlier under warranty.
Old 16th March 2014, 23:36   #5520
BHPian

So I came here to post about 1 problem and I found another one to discuss along with it:

My first problem that I meant to post here for a couple of days now, there is a strange creaking/cricket like sound that I hear when the vehicle is idling. When I depress the clutch,the sound is gone and when I release the sound is back. The sound can be more prominently heard from the tyrewell of the driver side's wheel.

Secondly when I went to make a video for the sound found a strange leakage/wetness near the front driver side wheel shock absorber. the wetness is also present below the air filter box. The liquid does not have any oily feel but its mixed with mud so cant tell.

The sound can be heard from 0.28
The leakage can be seen at 0.40

The pictures are as below:
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-cam00038.jpg
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-1.jpg

A couple of points to consider,my safari had undergone timing belt replacement for the third time a couple of months back and a lot of parts were replaced. TASS also had replaced the auxillary coolant tank.I noticed today that the pipe for the coolant overflow is very short and lands on the area as marked in the picture.

So I went for a trip of 200+ kms(first long trip after the new changes)today so there might be a possibility that the wetness is coolant overflow that has run down to the shock absorber area as well.Can there be so much coolant overrun especially after a spirited long drive.The level of the coolant after the drive and the leakage still seems to be normal(dont know if the tank was overfull).If not what is the solution to the issue of the sound and the wetness problem.
richie4u is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed