Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2014, 11:56   #5491
Team-BHP Support

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
All,

I may be .. But request your inputs on this:
What are the impacts/Side affects of installing a Nudge Guard/Bull bar/front Bumper guard (M-TEK MAGNUM to be specific) on Safari? I am mainly looking to put Hella 550's on it. I don't want to drill holes on to front bumper to get Hella's fitted.

Thanks,
Saurabh.
If your car has Airbags, then its always a bad idea.
However, if it does not, you have 2 options
1. Chasis - This will bypass the crumple zones and not a good idea
2. Beam behind the bumper - There is this metal beam right behind the plastic bumper. Use this for mounting. you do not loose any crumple zones as a result, except for thin plastic. So no significant disadvantage during crash.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 12:21   #5492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananth_shukti View Post
Dear Friends
There is a thread going on for HVAC Dust Filter, but no mention about Safari A/c Filters. My Safari TCIC is 10 Years now ( bought from fellow BHPian) .
Requesting friends to help on Locating the Dust Filter if any for Safari or if some one has done DIY or got this cleaned outside to share their cost & efforts which will help us all. The efficiency of the A/c has come down a bit even though the A/c gas levels are fine.

I got the complete dash board removed & cleaned for my Tata Marina coasted me about Rs 2K + 1 Day, wanted to know whether similar thing needs to be done for safari or there are filters available without removing Dash.

Thanks.. Ananth

Got to know that there is no Filter for Safari TCIC model 2004. The Cooling was less due to External Air circulation vent was not closing & was jammed due to dust. Got the same cleaned ( Its behind the Glove box). Charge Rs 450 ( Including Gas top up).
Posting the picture of Temp. meter I bought from the electrician which I found very useful during long drives. Paid Rs 300
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-dsc00433.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-dsc00434.jpg  

Ananth_shukti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 20:00   #5493
BHPian

Hello experts,

I own a Tata Safari 2.2VTT LX 2008 model and my occasional posts to TBhp seeking help has been blessed with your valuable inputs so far - a big 'thank you' to the forum.

I have been driving the vehicle all around the city, highways and some broken village roads as well. The vehicle has done 82k (still on Stock Tyres). I shifted my rented home some time ago to a location where I have to take a broken road (Bangalore, man ) for about 1km almost everyday. Though I go slow (<20km/hr) over this patch, it has taken a toll on the suspension, I guess.

Off late there has been a 'kat-kat' sound developed near front left wheel, and I can feel a bit of play at the wheel. This is is audible only while going on bad patches; absolutely no issues on highways. It is existing for some time now and I was a bit worried before going on a 2000km trip last month. The vehicle performed well on the ghat road (Cumbum - Kumily - Erumeli route) and am back in Bangalore. The condition of the suspension (and the front wheel) remained more or less same even after the trip. Now I am wondering if I need to take it to TASS or not in order to get it fixed. I did have similar issue last year and they replaced Bearing, tie-rod, ball joint and a couple of bushes. I went and checked my previous service documents and noticed that the very same parts were replaced during the previous service as well. It loos like things go well for some couple of thousands of kilometers and the issue slowly creeps-in again.

It looks to be an issue that keep coming back and this time it keeps me thinking. Can I leave it like that? The thing is that the suspension in general has become a bit out of the place ( vehicle became more shaky, more roll and more unsettled ride) and I am thinking to get TASS to have a look at the suspension. While they look at the suspension in general, they might recommend replacing the parts that they replaced already 2 times (bearing, tie-rod, ball joint and bushes). Could you please give me some clues to get the issue with the front suspension issue fixed permanently? Some tips and tricks to 'guide' the TASS to the root cause and final fix? Any suggestions would be of help.
sunil_k_u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 20:55   #5494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_k_u View Post
Hello experts, Off late there has been a 'kat-kat' sound developed near front left wheel, and I can feel a bit of play at the wheel. This is is audible only while going on bad patches; absolutely no issues on highways. It is existing for some time now and I was a bit worried before going on a 2000km trip last month. The vehicle performed well on the ghat road (Cumbum - Kumily - Erumeli route) and am back in Bangalore. The condition of the suspension (and the front wheel) remained more or less same even after the trip. Now I am wondering if I need to take it to TASS or not in order to get it fixed. I did have similar issue last year and they replaced Bearing, tie-rod, ball joint and a couple of bushes. I went and checked my previous service documents and noticed that the very same parts were replaced during the previous service as well. It loos like things go well for some couple of thousands of kilometers and the issue slowly creeps-in again.
This sound seems to be from the idler arm. TASS can easily tighten this for you.. it is advised to do a greasing also.. To test, you can jack the left wheel and try moving the wheel left or right and see the play near the steering rod which has a grease nipple which sits just behind the front left wheel hooked on to the chasis.. Hope this helps.
ameaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 23:03   #5495
BHPian

Many thanks 'ameaa' for enlightening me. I will have the TASS taken to task on these lines. I will also try and find some time and check the play on the wheel as you suggested.

Now that the vehicle is in TASS for an insurance claim (one school bus took some paint/ part of bumper with it from my Safari the other day ), I need to sit back and wait for the vehicle to come back from the body shop.
Old 5th February 2014, 20:19   #5496
BHPian

Guys

I own a 2010 GX Safari. Off late i have noticed that temp indicator on the odo is always showing 80 deg celcius and blinking. cam we do something about it. Don't wnt to drive 60 km all the way to TASS for this.

Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 14:05   #5497
BHPian

Hi all

Finally I am adding to this thread after 2 years of owning a Safari 2.2 DICOR. My problems may sound strange at first, but their consistency and freqeuncy has only been increasing, so I thought it best to post them here and seek your thoughts.

1. The infamous rear door of the Safari that carries the iconic spare wheel has been giving quite a lot of problems during unlocking via central-locking system. There is no rattle, and I have ensured that the mechanism is well-greased, but I have severe issues in unlocking that door. I need to unlock multiple times to release the lock on that big door, not sure why. None of the Tata service franchises ( Concorde or KHT ) have been able to identify the problem and nail it. They say a component is missing, then they say lubricant is dry, and then they say the weight of the spare tyre is causing alignmnet issues. To sum it up, the problem continues with no solution.

2. While shifting between the lower gears, ( more frequently between 2-3 and less frequently between 1-2 ), immaterial of RPM, I am hearing a strange sound ( A fast cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss ) during the engagement process. The guy at Concorde said it was a lubricant issue, and it temporarily disappeared for 10 days post-service. But it is back again, and I have no clue how to explain it to them.

Can any of you shed some thoughts please, and if you had similar issues, how you tackled them ?
Old 11th February 2014, 10:03   #5498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The infamous rear door of the Safari that carries the iconic spare wheel has been giving quite a lot of problems during unlocking via central-locking system. There is no rattle, and I have ensured that the mechanism is well-greased, but I have severe issues in unlocking that door. I need to unlock multiple times to release the lock on that big door, not sure why. None of the Tata service franchises ( Concorde or KHT ) have been able to identify the problem and nail it. They say a component is missing, then they say lubricant is dry, and then they say the weight of the spare tyre is causing alignmnet issues. To sum it up, the problem continues with no solution.
There can be two issues here, one, the locking mechanism is attracting a lot of dust and grime and jamming up, two, get the internal lock set changed, i too had this issue long ago and on changing the lock set (not entire lock) the door now locks and unlocks effortlessly.

I'm not too sure about your gear issues though, from your description it seems like something's grinding as you engage gears.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2014, 13:49   #5499
BHPian

My Safari's clutch pedal went down yesterday morning. A call to Concorde brought a 'technician' who filled brake fluid in the clutch reservoir. Soon the pedal came up but they took the car to Concorde for replacing the Clutch Slave cylinder.

The trip cost Rs 650 and I am told the cost of repair would be about Rs.6000/

Is this a normal cost or I am being taken for a Royal ride ?
Old 15th February 2014, 19:48   #5500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Slave cylinder costs max 2K if if your vehicle is with plastic ones and i think the metal one costs even lesser. TASS like concorde may not take you for a ride but please ask them what all are they replacing. Hope this helps.
ameaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2014, 13:47   #5501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
My Safari's clutch pedal went down yesterday morning. A call to Concorde brought a 'technician' who filled brake fluid in the clutch reservoir. Soon the pedal came up but they took the car to Concorde for replacing the Clutch Slave cylinder.

Is this a normal cost or I am being taken for a Royal ride ?
I got both master and slave cylinder changed recently from local guy. 2.5k parts and 1.2k labor.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 09:16   #5502
BHPian

They charged me Rs.2600/- including the the Rs.600 service call from home. They had replaced the slave cylinder. I don't know what was the issue as the moment the dot 3 liquid was poured into the reservoir, the pedal came up.
Old 17th February 2014, 15:24   #5503
Senior - BHPian

Just a small tip to arrest the body roll. I got rid of the Bridgestone Duellers and installed the new Falken wildpeak HT tyres which have sedan type tyre pattern as opposed to block types.

Now the steering feedback is 80% better and body roll is 30% better than stock ones.
Suddenly i am able to drive the beast more confidently.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 12:09   #5504
BHPian

My TCIC safari pulls to the left under hard breaking.But its straight line stability is good and there is no pulling on a plain stretch of road. Has anyone faced this issue,if yes kindly throw some light on it as the tyre wear is all even and also got the wheel balancing done.
Another issue is that the clutch pedal is too tight and there is an oil leakage and i have to top up the clutch oil every 1000 kms. Will changing the master and slave cylinder help alone or should i go for the entire clutch plate set replacement.
Thanks and Regards.
Old 21st February 2014, 07:25   #5505
Senior - BHPian

I am posting this thread after many months. Because, I am not driving my Safari for past one year. Only did drive car for a day during September for scheduled servicing. After that it is again parked in parking. But from April, I am going to drive it again. Need suggestions from fellow members.

1. I did change oil during servicing (6 months back) and driven around 40 Kms. After that, it is again parked. Does it matter, when I take out my car after another 1 month or so?

2. (For Bangalore members): Where do you purchase extra engine oil of 1 liter pack of Safari spec. (Castrol GTX Diesel - API CH4 - 15W40). Twice I tried to find but all vendors said, this oil is very rare and only available in 5 liter packs, that too near JC road.

3. I may also get the brake pads changed. ODO reading is ~38000 Kms and as per servicing center life of about 5000 Kms remaining in brake pads.

3. Apart from usual checks, do you recommend any other checks for car parked for 1 year?

I have big long drive scheduled in the month of May - 2014 (Bangalore - Giridh, Jharkhand - Bangalore). Total would be around 6000 Kms appx including local run. I want to keep spare oil (2 Litres) with me apart from coolant and brake fluid.

Since I have Safari Lx version of 2010 model, I have decided to put secondary AC blower for middle row seat. This will be aftermarket job. This is absolutely necessary during peak summer season of north.

I have also found window curtains in accessory section of Tata Safari website. Considering my drive will be in summer, I absolutely need this to keep cabin cool. Otherwise, I have to rely on cheap Chinese make suction based curtains.

If any of you find Windows curtains/Oil in any of the servicing center/shop, do post here or PM me.

Last edited by anujmishra : 21st February 2014 at 07:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks