Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2014, 10:56   #5476
Team-BHP Support

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Speaking of air in cabin, when at speed, lot of "wind" comes in from somewhere near the front passenger left knee. Its very irritating and freezing when it sub zero outside. And even more irritating when dust trail driving is being done. Any tips. the only flap I know off is where jkdas showed us.
Old 15th January 2014, 11:56   #5477
BHPian

might some unplugged hole in the firewall. Remove the glovebox (unhook the locks), then drive and observe from where the air is gushing in.
It might also be the hole under the handle on the door (i think there is a screw cap on that hole)
trance_nut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 13:18   #5478
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 20th February 2016 at 12:16.
i.1979 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 16th January 2014, 15:00   #5479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Hi Tanveer - I called the TATA helpline guys and what you mentioned is EXACTLY what happened . The entire radiator was dry and this guy poured in over 4 litres of water.

The Engine check light was off when he started the car and never came up all the while that he was there. The Temp gauge never showed signs of overheating / no smoke from the radiator , just overheating.

He has suggested me to go to TASS for further inspection as there was no visible leak from the radiator
Hi

I have faced this problem a couple of times in the last six months, there has been some problem with my radiator/coolant which TASS has been unable to fix.

Earlier they suspected rust in the radiator and reconditioned the radiator, but that didn't solve the problem, the rust returned,

Then they said that it might be oil leaking into the coolant trough the oil pump or head gasket and making the coolant into a thickish sludge ( rust colour)

On further inspection they said that the radiator/engine block was not cleaned properly and they cleaned it again.

I didn't see the rust/sludge problem lately but yesterday the coolant ran dry and the car went into the limp home mode.

It's now running fine that I have poured water into it, the water seems to be staying clear ( i.e no rust or other colour).

Is there a good mechanic someone can suggest in Bangalore who could thoroughly check the system and let me know if there is a problem?

My Car was in AMC till now so all visits to TASS were free, but now they won't be since my AMC just expired.

Thanks
Anshuman
Old 20th January 2014, 17:44   #5480
BHPian

Steering pulling right. How many days can the repair take in the worst case?

I had this issue of the steering pulling towards right, with Safari GX, and about a month back shown to Phoenix, Katraj, Pune at TASS.

That time they took 3 days. Total bill was about 12.5k (including oil change, wash and a number of other things, though mainly due to wheel balancing and labor charges).

After that I found the repair to be not satisfactory and took the car to them yesterday. After 2 days this time, they say they still want 1 more day. So this time around they will take another 3 days it seems.

"Left suspension has got out" is what they told me. I am not a techy and not sure whatever it means. But if that is so, why didn't they detect and repair it in last 3-day episide?

Is the problem repairable and why are they taking so long?

Since Mujammil Patel, during whose tenure I had a lot of confidence in this workshop left, there is no one who explains things properly here and I am now finding it quite irritating. I don't want to cast aspersions on the workshop as yet, as I do not understand the problem they are trying to fix and how much it can possibly take.

So thought of checking with fellow BHPians.
Old 24th January 2014, 15:24   #5481
Senior - BHPian

Inputs needed

I get WA/WB done as a standard practice during every (annual) service and it was done this time as well, during the 4-yr service in November. After that the car started pulling to the left and WB had to be done again - this rectified the issue. However, I am facing another issue wherein I feel some sort of "vibrations" from the front of the car at speeds >70 kmph. There is absolutely no noise/issue below this speed. It is felt as a mild sensation in the otherwise smooth steering wheel. Also, I can hear a sort of "hum" inside the cabin which appears to be coming from somewhere in the front of the car. There are no apparent issues with the handling of the car. I am suspecting either the steering column or the front axle. Any pointers? I am going to KHT motors tomorrow to get this checked out.

Edit: Mine is a 4WD and the first thing I checked was the possibility of accidental engagement of 4WD but that is not the case.

Last edited by cool_dube : 24th January 2014 at 15:26.
Old 26th January 2014, 12:50   #5482
BHPian

After the steering gearbox overhaul, the moment I start turning the steering, there is a noise (hydraulic kind of noise, like a hissing sound). It does not happen at a full lock but starts when I start turning the steering. It was not there earlier or I never noticed it. Is there a problem?
Old 26th January 2014, 19:52   #5483

Simple things thet you can check by your self.
1. Improper air pressure.
2. Jack your right and left, rotate the wheels and observe whether the right wheel stops earlier than left wheel.
3. Bad wheel alignment
4. Worn out tire in left and a good tire in the right could influence.
5. Search for any reason for more friction to the right wheel than left.

I do not know whether bad suspension would make the vehicle lean right, TATA would do.
Old 27th January 2014, 11:00   #5484
Senior - BHPian

Re: Inputs needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I feel some sort of "vibrations" from the front of the car at speeds >70 kmph. There is absolutely no noise/issue below this speed. It is felt as a mild sensation in the otherwise smooth steering wheel. Also, I can hear a sort of "hum" inside the cabin which appears to be coming from somewhere in the front of the car
Update - front RHS wheel bearings going kaput was the reason behind this issue. Rightly diagnosed by the SA within 5 mins of test drive. Both inner and outer bearing replaced - time taken: 2 hours, damage to wallet: Rs. 3,000 including an oil seal, grease, and taxes. Most probable reason: severe impact to RHS front wheel. I do remember my front RHS wheel going through a really deep ditch at a decent speed few months back - most probably that is the cause. A fairly long test drive touching 100 kmph confirmed that all is well now The issue was caught and nipped in the bud or else it would have damaged the caliper and possibly the hubs had it persisted - phew!!

Last edited by cool_dube : 27th January 2014 at 11:04.
Old 27th January 2014, 13:56   #5485
BHPian

Dear Friends
There is a thread going on for HVAC Dust Filter, but no mention about Safari A/c Filters. My Safari TCIC is 10 Years now ( bought from fellow BHPian) .
Requesting friends to help on Locating the Dust Filter if any for Safari or if some one has done DIY or got this cleaned outside to share their cost & efforts which will help us all. The efficiency of the A/c has come down a bit even though the A/c gas levels are fine.

I got the complete dash board removed & cleaned for my Tata Marina coasted me about Rs 2K + 1 Day, wanted to know whether similar thing needs to be done for safari or there are filters available without removing Dash.

Thanks.. Ananth

Last edited by Ananth_shukti : 27th January 2014 at 14:00.
Old 29th January 2014, 23:42   #5486
BHPian

Hi guys,

my safari's clutch pedal is giving me a rough feel just as it is released,after I start releasing the pedal just after I cross about half way I feel the pedal movement very rough/scratchy,Is this is a sign of clutch saying goodbye or something else needs to be checked out?
Old 30th January 2014, 01:49   #5487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Hi guys,

my safari's clutch pedal is giving me a rough feel just as it is released,after I start releasing the pedal just after I cross about half way I feel the pedal movement very rough/scratchy,Is this is a sign of clutch saying goodbye or something else needs to be checked out?
It's the same with my safari. Probably the clutch release bearing as the tass told me.

I have some problems with my safari. The steering used to wobble and I got the balancing done at TASS and now the steering doesn't wobble but the whole car does. It vibrates like its going to dissociate above 100. Earlier I had taken it to 160 fully stable. I also got a new rear tyre for the car. Could it be due to that? It's more inclined at the same side that is rear right where the tyre was changed due to bursting. Also there is a pull to the right and TASS says the chassis needs to be repaired which they don't do as the camber is negative and they can't fix that. Any fixes for that?
Old 30th January 2014, 12:19   #5488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Doc View Post
I have some problems with my safari. The steering used to wobble and I got the balancing done at TASS and now the steering doesn't wobble but the whole car does. It vibrates like its going to dissociate above 100. Earlier I had taken it to 160 fully stable. I also got a new rear tyre for the car. Could it be due to that? It's more inclined at the same side that is rear right where the tyre was changed due to bursting. Also there is a pull to the right and TASS says the chassis needs to be repaired which they don't do as the camber is negative and they can't fix that. Any fixes for that?
Camber can be fixed by some good wheel alignment guys in open market. Its a good idea to change min 2 tyres to keep the car balanced.. Also get all your suspension parts checked, the ends, bearing, rod etc, they may be causing the problem to exaggerate
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 13:56   #5489
BHPian

I have the suspension changed almost twice so that's not the problem. I'll try getting the camber set from a local guy. Thanks!!
Old 31st January 2014, 11:41   #5490
BHPian

All,

I may be .. But request your inputs on this:
What are the impacts/Side affects of installing a Nudge Guard/Bull bar/front Bumper guard (M-TEK MAGNUM to be specific) on Safari? I am mainly looking to put Hella 550's on it. I don't want to drill holes on to front bumper to get Hella's fitted.

Thanks,
Saurabh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Hi guys,

TASS told me my clutch is gone for nearly same issue, it gives a THUD sort of noice after halfway or may be 3/4th release, & its pressure is more than 18 BARS. COst of repair 21K/- appr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
---However, I am facing another issue wherein I feel some sort of "vibrations" from the front of the car at speeds >70 kmph. There is absolutely no noise/issue below this speed. It is felt as a mild sensation in the otherwise smooth steering wheel. Also,..
For vibrations : a local mechanic once told me that Bridgestone Tubeless tyres have a issue with developing air bubbles which result in vibrations, strting from high speeds & then coming down to low speeds as well. No concrete information on this though..

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 31st January 2014 at 12:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks