Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2013, 10:20   #5431
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Need help from the safari guys, i am planning to buy a used safari 2.2vtt vx 2nd owner used 60k, the car well maintained with a complete service history, he is asking for 4.25lac and its a 2008 model.

Please advice on the price
Old 2nd December 2013, 21:46   #5432
v&v
Senior - BHPian

@sanju. 2.2 2008 were initial batch. Get hold of mid 2009 and beyond model, which were better on reliability and there was some retro fix by TML for timing belt end of 2009. Can't comment on price.

Last edited by v&v : 2nd December 2013 at 21:49.
Old 3rd December 2013, 15:10   #5433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjusahu View Post
Need help from the safari guys, i am planning to buy a used safari 2.2vtt vx 2nd owner used 60k, the car well maintained with a complete service history, he is asking for 4.25lac and its a 2008 model.

Please advice on the price
Looks good to me , Get it evaluated at a TASS I think 60K between two owners is not genuine odo reading , however if engine compression is good
and there is no problem with mechanicals it is good buy.

Also get the timing belt checked timing kit replacement ( F Kit) will cost around 14 -15 K

Last edited by amitk26 : 3rd December 2013 at 15:13. Reason: revised cost of F timing kit
Old 4th December 2013, 11:44   #5434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
@sanju. 2.2 2008 were initial batch. Get hold of mid 2009 and beyond model, which were better on reliability and there was some retro fix by TML for timing belt end of 2009. Can't comment on price.
I have a different Opinion, the initial batches started in End Oct 2007 and all were tested by TML before they were sent to the dealers. Their reliability is no more/ less than other batches unless the owners have not got the retro fitment done. The retro fitment was offered to all owners FOC.
Old 4th December 2013, 17:10   #5435
BHPian

Here is what I had done to arrest the rear door rattling, It is working and no rattling from rear door since last 6 months .

Posted the same in Safari pics thread as well.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-20131201_111147.jpg  

BulZire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 04:09   #5436
Senior - BHPian

My Email to Mr Ratan Tata

Hi Ratan Sir -

Also to bring to your notice that all the email ID’s mentioned on the website are either not working ( attached ) or mail boxes are full so you can imagine the service standards and customer frustration.

You can ask your secretary to send a test email on the email ID’s mentioned on the following link to validate the same

http://cars.tatamotors.com/contact-us.aspx

I would also like to bring to your notice that CONCORDE MOTORS ( Sarita Vihar ) has by far the best staff and service that I’ve experienced so far however it’s the car itself which is a cause of worry for me as I may not be able to afford it’s tantrums once it goes out of Warranty .

Looking forward for a LONG term solution from the TATA Team.

Regards
Harish Nayak

Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 2:46 AM
Subject: RE: Complaint about my TATA Safari DL 14 CG 0700

Hi Sir – Sorry to bother you for my issue but this is something that I wanted to bring to your notice as you’re the HEAD of the family. Most of the mail ID’s are bouncing back hence this email to you.

Looking forward for some solution from your team.

Regards
Harish Nayak

Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 2:36 AM
Subject: Re: Complaint about my TATA Safari DL 14 CG 0700

Hi Mr Thusoo - Hope you're doing well.
I'm writing an email again to bring to your notice the issues faced by me. As much as i LOVE this car i'm highly dissatisfied by the niggles that it's causing and troubling me off and on. I'm bringing this to your notice because if this is the scenario in the initial 2 years then i'm wondering what would happen once the car gets out of the warranty period
1) Recently the entire radiator went dry on it's own and the car went into "Limp back home mode" - Luckily i was not too far from my home so managed to reach back ( was around 50 kms away ). The issue eventually was a faulty water pump which was replaced under warranty but i had to pay around INR 1100 for the coolant and 3 days of cars stay at Concorde Sarita Vihar ( Coincidentally the 30 K service was scheduled at the same time - The service took only few hours but the pump took 2 additional days + dent of INR 1100 on my pocket )
2) This is the 4th time that my charging points have conked off in last 1.5 years of ownership and i've gotten tired of sending the car to service station just to get this fixed - It takes 1 whole day to fix it + INR 300 of fuel to go back and forth ) - The points have conked off again as i'm writing this email and i'm not going to send the car this time to the service station. Would request you to get them fixed at my place so that i can use the car on that day too.
3) The central locking conked off couple of times but has been fixed now and i'm not sure for how long though but wanted to bring it to your notice
4) The Child lock gets activated on it's own every now and then causing inconvenience and EMBARRASSMENT to me most of the times , May not sound like a big issue but when it happens it does tarnish my Image and Of course TATA's .
5) The water leaking into the compartment has been an ongoing issue and has been fixed for the 4th or the 5th time since i bought the car and to be honest i've lost patience on this front. i have plans to keep this car for at least 7 years and i would really be very serious in terms of my ownership if these issues keep troubling me even after 2 years of initial ownership. For a simple reason what are the probabilities that a issue repeating itself for 3-4 times in the initial years would not repeat in the subsequent years causing me to pay through my nose for no fault of mine ( and actually a MANUFACTURING FAULT FROM TATA ).
Really looking forward for a positive response from your end to STRENGTHEN mine and my friends ownership experience of Safari.
Regards
Harish Nayak

Last edited by GTO : 6th December 2013 at 16:17. Reason: Please do NOT put up email addresses & phone numbers publicly. Also, do NOT type the entire post in BOLD
harishnayak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 00:45   #5437
BHPian

Hi Guys,

i am facing a peculiar problem. When ever I release accelator or press clutch a krr krr sound is coming. Its very pronounced at night (may bebecaue of less outside noise). It only happens if I am in 1500-1800 RPM. Its coming on releasing accelator also so I don't think its a clutch issue. Any pointers?

-Ijeet

Last edited by benbsb29 : 14th December 2013 at 20:46. Reason: Edited post to remove font tags. Pl use the in-built forum editor to post, else check formatting prior to posting. Thanks.
Old 14th December 2013, 18:28   #5438
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone come across better dampers for the safari. The intention is to arrest the body roll. Also i would like to ask the feedback from people who have put alloy wheels that protrude out and increase the wheel track - does it improve the overall dynamics of ride?
Old 14th December 2013, 18:33   #5439
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
i am facing a peculiar problem. When ever I release accelator or press clutch a krr krr sound is coming.
This is the trademark "krr" sound which has been in most Safaris after the 2.2 was introduced. Browse this thread for more info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Has anyone come across better dampers for the safari. The intention is to arrest the body roll.
I know a couple of people at Delhi and Bangalore who have installed Bilsteins in the front and rear and claim to have reduced body roll, however, I have not driven their vehicles to be able to provide you direct feedback.

Wider tires and offset alloys widen the vehicle's track slightly, thereby providing a slightly better degree of stability and lesser body roll over sharp corners, however, the trade offs are a tighter steering, suspension wear and tear and stress on other components.
n.devdath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 00:49   #5440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

I know a couple of people at Delhi and Bangalore who have installed Bilsteins in the front and rear and claim to have reduced body roll, however, I have not driven their vehicles to be able to provide you direct feedback.
Wow thats some hopes now. Can you test drive them or atleast get the part numbers of the replacement shocks.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 09:41   #5441
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Can you test drive them or atleast get the part numbers of the replacement shocks.
I can try to get you the part numbers of the shock absorbers Amit. I generally don't ask other people to give me their cars since I do not let anyone else drive Hariya as well.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 14:28   #5442
BHPian

I have Safari GX 2011.

It had a recently developed a problem of steering pulling right.

I took it to Phoenix, Pune who initially told it must be an alignment problem and will be fixed on the same day.

Now they are telling it has got an "out" and it is taking time to repair it.

The car had to be left over at the service station yesterday, which I prefer to avoid, though even today they are saying the fault is taking time to repair.

I am not very conversant with the terminology. Questions that come to mind are: An "out" is how serious a problem, what could have cuased it, will they be able to fix it or will the problem recur, why are they taking time etc.

Wish forum members throw some light on this issue.
mayuresh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 03:43   #5443
BHPian

Safari Gurus,
One very Idiotic question, - Can we , by any means, convert a 2 wheel drive Safari into a 4X4 ? If possible at all, can TASS do it, or any known aftermarket mod near Kolkata region?
Old 18th December 2013, 10:04   #5444
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatmaster View Post
Safari Gurus,
One very Idiotic question, - Can we , by any means, convert a 2 wheel drive Safari into a 4X4 ?
Technically speaking, it can be done, but the effort, the parts, the costs and the risks associated with it do not warrant such a modification.
n.devdath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2013, 01:35   #5445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
This is the trademark "krr" sound which has been in most Safaris after the 2.2 was introduced. Browse this thread for more info.
Thanks Devdath,

I am not sure whether its the same krr krr sound as others, it comes when i pick up my foor from acelator and when I press clutch pedal. Apart from that engine note is turned into tractor kind of sound. I visited KHT today as I was in whitefield today and a long trip is coming up. According to SA there it may be because of clogged injectors, I am not sure how is that possible. I have not change my petrol pump and religiously follow once a month raising trucks RPM ( I even have a calendar reminder set for that ). There is no fluctuations in RPM and nothign out of ordinary apart from the tractor like sound and that noise from A and C pedal.

What are the symptoms of clogged injectors. My car is under extended warranty, are injectors covered?

-Ijeet

Most Viewed