Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2009, 11:26   #526
BHPian

My Safari is July 08 manufactured. No engine gasping issues so far and no krr krr sound either. I remember the sound was there in one of the test drive vehicles I had driven before purchase and it was pretty irritating.
Old 9th February 2009, 12:19   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asejwal View Post
@dadu

Hi bro - I'm getting the delivery of my Ex 4x4 in a day or two. I've checked the VIN number of my vehicle and it is a January 2009 make. How can I make out whether the EGR valve that you guys are talking about is the modified version or the unchanged version? Should I take some photographs of the same and send it across/paste on this thread for you to make out!?!
Yes, thats one option, take a closer picture(from 2/3 angles) and post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well friends I have June 2008 manufactured Safari , It shows gasp issue as I mentioned earlier but I do not hear any Krr Krr sound at all , In fact I have never heard any krr sound till now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
My Safari is July 08 manufactured. No engine gasping issues so far and no krr krr sound either. I remember the sound was there in one of the test drive vehicles I had driven before purchase and it was pretty irritating.
Sometimes its difficult to differentiate between the Engine noise and this noise created by the EGR, unfortunately I have a sensitive ear.

But let me re-iterate, this "Krrr" noise is not harmful for the engine.

Last edited by dadu : 9th February 2009 at 12:21.
Old 9th February 2009, 12:27   #528
BHPian

Hi All,

From some time now I have noticed that the Service lamp glows for few second and then become normal. All this happens when you get your foot off the accelerator and let the vehicle move using the moment.

Yesterday I rev the engine to Red line while it was in instationry condition.
Should I go to TASS for this, foease help.
Old 9th February 2009, 12:43   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruty View Post
Hi All,

From some time now I have noticed that the Service lamp glows for few second and then become normal. All this happens when you get your foot off the accelerator and let the vehicle move using the moment.

Yesterday I rev the engine to Red line while it was in instationry condition.
Should I go to TASS for this, foease help.
Its similar to what tanveer reported, was diagnosed to be a common rail problem. Try it again and report it to T.A.S.S
Old 9th February 2009, 14:18   #530
BHPian

"tak tak" sound on cold start

On cold start or start after 8-9 hours break, my Safari engine makes a "tak tak" noise. This noise will be present for 5-10 minutes and goes away after that. It does not repeat itself during normal runs.

Whenever I drive to TASS, I am not able to show the problem myself as the engine would have warmed up by that time. I've left the car at TASS overnight mentioning clearly about the cold start problem. However, they have come back saying that it was not reproducible.

Can anyone has any idea how to go about? My Safari is 2.2VTT Feb 2008 model.
Old 9th February 2009, 19:19   #531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilrs View Post
On cold start or start after 8-9 hours break, my Safari engine makes a "tak tak" noise. This noise will be present for 5-10 minutes and goes away after that. It does not repeat itself during normal runs.

Whenever I drive to TASS, I am not able to show the problem myself as the engine would have warmed up by that time. I've left the car at TASS overnight mentioning clearly about the cold start problem. However, they have come back saying that it was not reproducible.

Can anyone has any idea how to go about? My Safari is 2.2VTT Feb 2008 model.
Leave it overnight and ask them not to start it unless you get there.
Old 11th February 2009, 12:34   #532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruty View Post
Hi All,

From some time now I have noticed that the Service lamp glows for few second and then become normal
Even Ive had the same issue in my safari 2.2 and noticed it 3times in my recent trip to Nainital & Corbett. I covered a total distance of 1100 kms.

My beast has run for 25k kms & I have given it today for service.
They will change the engine oil(2.5k), differential oil(0.6K), Fuel filter(2.5k),and other small niggles like bulb, alignment, balancing etc etc. Total estimate 8k. Is that too much

Another issue that Ive faced for 25-30kms was that the beast was not taking any pickup even after revving it upto 2.5k rpm. I was not even able to overtake a M800 doing about 80km/hr and I was driving in 4th gear with the accelerator floored down

They are checking at the workshop.
Old 11th February 2009, 15:25   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Another issue that Ive faced for 25-30kms was that the beast was not taking any pickup even after revving it upto 2.5k rpm. I was not even able to overtake a M800 doing about 80km/hr and I was driving in 4th gear with the accelerator floored down

Sounds like the Turbo Hose Coming off --- mentioned earlier in this thread.
Old 11th February 2009, 19:00   #534
Senior - BHPian

Recd the car back from service.
The service light came up,(as told by the SA) was because there was water in the fuel filter. This was to be replaced at 30k service so Ive done that now. The SA says that the problem should no reoccur now.
As with the no pickup, I am told that it could have been because of the water in the filter could be one of the reasons, but I would check up the hose too. Is there any photo of the hose???
Old 11th February 2009, 19:41   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The service light came up,(as told by the SA) was because there was water in the fuel filter.
Harjeev, there is a separate lamp for water in the fuel/filter. I don't think the service light should light up with water in fuel.
Old 11th February 2009, 21:08   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The service light came up,(as told by the SA) was because there was water in the fuel filter. This was to be replaced at 30k service so Ive done that now. The SA says that the problem should no reoccur now.
Yup the light will come on if your fuel filter (i.e., the sedimenter which is usually under the rear bumper, not the main diesel filter) is filled with water/kachda. Very effective piece of equipment that protects your engine.

Why didnt they replace at 30k, which is what is recommended?
Old 11th February 2009, 21:31   #537
BHPian

Turbo Hose

Quote:
As with the no pickup, I am told that it could have been because of the water in the filter could be one of the reasons, but I would check up the hose too. Is there any photo of the hose???
Hi
Please see this link for the location of the Turbo Hose.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/826147-post99.html

Cheers
Old 11th February 2009, 21:31   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev
They will change the engine oil(2.5k)
Whats that oil for Rs.2500 ?
Old 11th February 2009, 21:51   #539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

29K or so on Odo

On my way back from office I saw tacho rising faster than usual but the speedo wasnt

No turbo.

Came home and checked. There is a change in engine noise and air filter things shows RED!

Taking it to TASS tomorrow. Hope things are ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Whats that oil for Rs.2500 ?
Should be engine oil (1.7k) and engine flush.
Old 12th February 2009, 09:12   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
On my way back from office I saw tacho rising faster than usual but the speedo wasnt

No turbo.

Came home and checked. There is a change in engine noise and air filter things shows RED!
JKDas, this is a classic symptom of clutch slippage!
Does not seem related to a choked air filter.

I couldn't understand what you mean by 'no turbo'.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks