Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2013, 19:31   #5326
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Friends,
After 5.5 years of trouble free service my Safari 2.2 ac stopped working while i was on a long road trip. Took it to a TASS and they said gas was very low and topped it up. No leaks were observed in the system during pressure leak test.
But the cooling fan in front of the radiator started acting up( it stopped working when the vehicle was idle) and the TASS suggested i replace it but I could not due to lack of time.
During a long snooze halt enroute i was snoozing with the ac on and the cooling stopped.
Blower working but hot air is emitted.
Problem 1: The cooling fan on the outside of the radiator has stopped working and ac is emitting hot air.
Could this be the problem or is there a larger problem with my trucks ac.

Problem 2: There is a whine from the overhead roof unit that comes sometimes, stays for a while and goes away and comes intermittently.
Should I get the entire ac including the overhead unit opened up for service?

I spent 3k for gas topup with the oil etc and the gas is fully charged.
What could be the problem?
Old 12th September 2013, 20:00   #5327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Problem 1: The cooling fan on the outside of the radiator has stopped working and ac is emitting hot air.
Jay, since this happened during a snooze stop, it is important to know whether cooling got restored at highway speeds. If it did, the problem would be the fan. If it didn't then there is a possibility that gas has leaked out (yes, again!).
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 00:38   #5328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
During a long snooze halt enroute i was snoozing with the ac on and the cooling stopped.
Hi Jay,
If AC does not work in low RPMs then one of the reason might be AC clutch. Recently my esteem had same problem and it was found out that during low RPMs enough current was not generated from coupler ( i dont know technical name) which was required for AC to be engaged. I had this problem only during idle and low RPMs. And yes, if they open this system, gas has to be refilled.
Its just a pointer, as i am not sure whether cooling system mechanism is same in esteem and Safari (thankfully my 4 yrs old Safari is fine till now).

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 07:56   #5329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Jay, since this happened during a snooze stop, it is important to know whether cooling got restored at highway speeds. If it did, the problem would be the fan. If it didn't then there is a possibility that gas has leaked out (yes, again!).
Anup, the cooling never restored after the snooze stop. It continued to blow hot air. I wonder how the gas leaked out again in under 48 hours inspite of a successful leak test, when it didnt leak in 5.5 years. The fan has completely stopped working. Could it also be possible that the ac switch or relay has gone kaput. The ac switch does glow blue in color when turned on though!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Hi Jay,
If AC does not work in low RPMs then one of the reason might be AC clutch. Recently my esteem had same problem and it was found out that during low RPMs enough current was not generated from coupler ( i dont know technical name) which was required for AC to be engaged. I had this problem only during idle and low RPMs. And yes, if they open this system, gas has to be refilled.
Its just a pointer, as i am not sure whether cooling system mechanism is same in esteem and Safari (thankfully my 4 yrs old Safari is fine till now).

Shubhendra
Shubendra, the AC is not working at any rpm. Just the blower is working.
Old 13th September 2013, 11:22   #5330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... The ac switch does glow blue in color when turned on though!! ... the AC is not working at any rpm. Just the blower is working.
Checked the (infamous) Fuse for Condenser Fan? It is in the fusebox in the engine compartment. If blown, replace with a 25A one (IIRC it is a 15A fuse).
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 14:05   #5331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Checked the (infamous) Fuse for Condenser Fan? It is in the fusebox in the engine compartment. If blown, replace with a 25A one (IIRC it is a 15A fuse).
I thought at highway speeds the condenser fan would not be needed to provide cooling, as long as the compressor cuts in.
The ram air effect would suffice.
Old 13th September 2013, 14:33   #5332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
... The ram air effect would suffice.
Possible, maybe. What to do, the designers didn't reckon with that and built the interlock that disengages the AC compressor when the Condenser Fan fuse blows.
Old 13th September 2013, 14:54   #5333
Senior - BHPian

Jay the fan may have failed. I had to replace the fan sometime back. It costed me 4.5 k or so with labour ( I got it done from an AC repair shop). The issue was the carbon brush which had worn out completely.

Last edited by jkdas : 13th September 2013 at 14:55.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 15:06   #5334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....I spent 3k for gas topup with the oil etc...
Just gas top-up should be about Rs 500/- job or there about. Why did you get the oil changed? Or the oil has also dried out. How does he know that? I suspect lazy/incompetent mechanic fiddled with other part of the system adding to the issue?

I also suspect low gas in my AC (tell-tale sign: too much cooling and misty air from blower when switched on) but, scared to go to a TASS for checkup, because, 99% chance they will make it worse if allowed to touch :(

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 13th September 2013 at 15:09.
Old 13th September 2013, 15:47   #5335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Fuse seems OK. That was the first thing i checked.. swapped it with another fuse. Also checked relays are ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Jay the fan may have failed. I had to replace the fan sometime back. It costed me 4.5 k or so with labour ( I got it done from an AC repair shop). The issue was the carbon brush which had worn out completely.
JKD the TASS technician had told me the carbon brushes had worn and the fan was acting erractically and had asked me to replace it. Lack of time due to an interstate trip so i didnt do it. I thought it would be wiser to get it done at my usual TASS so i can squeeze their throat if the job is not done right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Just gas top-up should be about Rs 500/- job or there about. Why did you get the oil changed? Or the oil has also dried out. How does he know that? I suspect lazy/incompetent mechanic fiddled with other part of the system adding to the issue?

I also suspect low gas in my AC (tell-tale sign: too much cooling and misty air from blower when switched on) but, scared to go to a TASS for checkup, because, 99% chance they will make it worse if allowed to touch :(

-BJ
BJ - the cooling had reduced drastically over the last 18 months and their automated machine showed the gas level to be v v low. So this was not a gas topup but a full gas and oil recharge after vaccuming the system.

'Operation ACDC' was done in my physical presence.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 16:29   #5336
BHPian

Quote:
Fuse seems OK.

BJ - the cooling had reduced drastically over the last 18 months and their automated machine showed the gas level to be v v low. So this was not a gas topup but a full gas and oil recharge after vaccuming the system.
Dear Jay,
Below are the things you can check :

1. Gas leakage and level - You have suggested there is no leakage and the levels are good after top up.
2. Fuse - This is good as per your comment.
3. Get the wiring checked. Loose or a cut in the wiring causes lot of troubles. Are there rodents around your parking?
4. Get the cooling fan and filter cleaned.
5. Also I believe you might have not cleaned the cooling coil in these 5+ years. This gets choked and could be the main reason for the low cooling.

Hope your trouble gets sorted soon.

Best,
TheG2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 22:02   #5337
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I noticed loud khach khach sound from engine compartment today.
Opened the hood and sound is coming from under the engine cover towards the back , the sound is like some loose belt.

My Safari is 53000 KM and 5 years any clues what can this be ?

I will try to post a video and diagnose it again tomorrow.

Regards
Old 22nd September 2013, 16:50   #5338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Hi,

I noticed loud khach khach sound from engine compartment today.
Opened the hood and sound is coming from under the engine cover towards the back , the sound is like some loose belt.

My Safari is 53000 KM and 5 years any clues what can this be ?

I will try to post a video and diagnose it again tomorrow.

Regards
Here is the video ,Can some one please identify what kind of noise it is ?

One thing I noticed is that there is some amount of gooey oily deposit near to injector closest to firewall while others are completely dry, Can it be related ?
Old 22nd September 2013, 18:44   #5339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... One thing I noticed is that there is some amount of gooey oily deposit near to injector closest to firewall while others are completely dry, Can it be related ? ...
Doesn't sound like a belt interference. Rather, it sounds like a leak to me, like a pressure being periodically released. But I have not clue what kind of leak and where. Definitely not fuel or head gasket.

Is there a difference in the feel of the engine? Like loss of power or roughness? Or the driving feel is exactly as before?
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 20:27   #5340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is the video ,Can some one please identify what kind of noise it is ?

One thing I noticed is that there is some amount of gooey oily deposit near to injector closest to firewall while others are completely dry, Can it be related ?

The injector is not seated properly in the cylinder head and combustion pressure is leaking past the seat.
There is even a possibility that this injector will not come out easily; may have jammed in the mounting hole. Please have this attended to at an early date.
anupmathur is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks