Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2013, 11:48   #5266
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Dear All,

I just ran through my Owners manual & found the steps to shut off the Beast.
However still requesting your inputs on the issues that i reported in my earlier post for engine not starting up & black smoke cloud.
Any more suggestion are welcome.

Regards,
Saurabh.
Old 13th August 2013, 20:27   #5267
Senior - BHPian

Headlamp leveling motor issue

Guys,

Need urgent advice- I am setting off for a long drive tomorrow with family. The RHS headlamp levelling motor, I found today (unsure, if it existed before), hunts a bit (makes noise like auto focus motor of SLR lens) every-time HL is switched on and then settles down. This happens at setting# 3. Other settings (0,1,2) seems ok. I suspect some issue due to moisture or dust on the potentiometer inside (Googled info) the motor and can be rectified by (probably) DIY. However, I do not have time either to open it (DIY) or visit a TASS. My questions to gurus are:

1. Has anyone experienced this? How critical is it?
2) Will it burn out HL or motor if, left as it is?
3) How costly is this part?

If #2 or #3 hurts big on pocket, I will try to disconnect the motor wire coupler, or will try to stick to dip settings #2. I have about 400kms of night driving.

Thanks in advance guys. Any tip/advice will be a big morale booster at this hour

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 13th August 2013 at 20:28. Reason: minor typo
Old 13th August 2013, 20:39   #5268
Team-BHP Support

Re: Headlamp leveling motor issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Guys,

Need urgent advice- I am setting off for a long drive tomorrow with family. The RHS headlamp levelling motor, I found today (unsure, if it existed before), hunts a bit (makes noise like auto focus motor of SLR lens) every-time HL is switched on and then settles down. This happens at setting# 3. Other settings (0,1,2) seems ok. I suspect some issue due to moisture or dust on the potentiometer inside (Googled info) the motor and can be rectified by (probably) DIY. However, I do not have time either to open it (DIY) or visit a TASS. My questions to gurus are:

If #2 or #3 hurts big on pocket, I will try to disconnect the motor wire coupler, or will try to stick to dip settings #2. I have about 400kms of night driving.

Thanks in advance guys. Any tip/advice will be a big morale booster at this hour

-BJ
I have similar issue since past 5 years of ownership. I suggest do not fix what is not broken
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 21:09   #5269
Senior - BHPian

Re: Headlamp leveling motor issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Guys,

-BJ
Its not an issue.! BTW always have a spare bulb in the vehicle.

Make it a habit to do the following before any long drive.
1. check tyre pressure, throughout including the spare. check tyre for any miniscule cracks throughout. Check wheel bolts.

2. open the bonnet and check all the fluid levels.

3. Check for any cracks and worn out rubber hoses.

4. Double check your tools, if you are DIY guy, or atleast check the condition of your jack, Oil it if hard, and minimal tool kit that comes with the car. I have always kept a hydraulic jack and puncture repair kit, its much hassle free.

5. Keep adequate bottle of water, and an emty 5 litre plastic can in the vehicle.

PS: Above are few of the checklist that i always do before I travel. In addition to above i have now a fire extinguisher in each of the car, that @hvkumar (HVK Sir) had sent.
SirAlec is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 22:49   #5270
BHPian

hi all,

I recently took my Safari for servicing.Other than the normal service costs the SA also informed me that the TASS also does foam filling of running/side boards. I do not exactly remember what he called the material that they fill it with but he said that this is done to prevent water from getting accumulated,prevents rusting,sound deadening properties. Do you guys suggest this and does it really help?
Old 14th August 2013, 10:17   #5271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
Dear All,

I just ran through my Owners manual & found the steps to shut off the Beast.
However still requesting your inputs on the issues that i reported in my earlier post for engine not starting up & black smoke cloud.
Any more suggestion are welcome.

Regards,
Saurabh.
What is your Safari ? TCIC or DiCOR ?
Check the Glow plugs (Dicor also has them). For TCIC failure of one or more glow plugs will result in slow starting and some Black smoke until the engine warms up.

DiCOR won't mind one failed glow plug.
For problems in the injection, you will need competent TASS.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 15:36   #5272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... engine not starting up & black smoke cloud. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
... DiCOR won't mind one failed glow plug. ...
DICOR doesn't mind even if all the Glow Plugs are not working. There is no such interlock. DI engines don't really need it till negative temperatures. @saurabh2711 is nowhere near any place that goes to negative temperatures.

The likely cause is sticky injector(s) or some sensor (or it's connector) malfunction, or even faulty EGR valve.

Quote:
... engine refusing to start at morning. It makes a strange sound while cranking & does not Comes up. ...
Can you describe the sound that comes while cranking?
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 16:29   #5273
BHPian

Thanks "DerAlte" & "Prowler" for your suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
What is your Safari ? TCIC or DiCOR ?
Sir, It is a Dicor (2.2 VTT-SEP2010).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@saurabh2711 is nowhere near any place that goes to negative temperatures.

Can you describe the sound that comes while cranking?
Yes Sir, you are correct I am nowhere near Negative temperatures (I am at Pune).
It is a pretty strange sound as if it is Chocking, something that a vehicle makes when it is unable to recieve Proper Air Supply.
During the occurance of this issue it started once & was running while making a sound like Budddd, budddd. Accelerator didn't worked so that i could rev it a bit.It kept emiting black smoke. I switched off the engine & started again after some time. The sound was identical to the sound that our very old scooters used to make after so many kicks, while emitting white smoke. Pepole used to say that "Over ho gaya tha / overflow ho gaya tha"

Took a long cranking & came up nice, but with large smoke cloud.

How do I check if Injector/Connector is faulty as you suggested?

Thanks,
Saurabh.
Old 14th August 2013, 17:29   #5274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How do I check if Injector/Connector is faulty as you suggested?

Thanks,
Saurabh.
Is there any kat-kat or tak-tak type of sound? In my Safari I had to get the injectors repaired, the vehicle was knocking and emitting heavy black smoke. Might be the injectors are stuck.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 19:31   #5275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... It is a pretty strange sound as if it is Chocking, something that a vehicle makes when it is unable to recieve Proper Air Supply.
During the occurance of this issue it started once & was running while making a sound like Budddd, budddd. Accelerator didn't worked so that i could rev it a bit.It kept emiting black smoke. ...
Took a long cranking & came up nice, but with large smoke cloud. ...
That sounds like not all the cylinders were firing. You couldn't rev it because it was not coming out of the Start cycle to Normal mode (idling; all cylinders were not firing).

Quote:
... How do I check if Injector/Connector is faulty as you suggested ...
The problem is you can't yourself - you wouldn't have the instrumentation or tools. Your service guys should be able to. This is an intermittent problem, so they have to be really systematic.
Old 15th August 2013, 08:36   #5276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lack of compression cannot be ruled out!
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2013, 11:49   #5277
BHPian

Quote:
black smoke.
Saurabh you have valuable suggestions from many. Here are some from me. Black smoke is because of excess diesel. Some things to check (i might be repeating) -
  1. Broken Vacuum pipe
  2. Damaged wiring
  3. Clean filters - air, fuel and sedimenter
  4. Fuel pump issue
  5. choked injectors
  6. choked catalytic converter
  7. choked EGR valve
  8. MAP Sensor damaged - it does not give an ECU error.

You may want to rule out all these things. Also check ECU if there is any error logged. Best of luck, keep us posted
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 11:59   #5278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
kat-kat or tak-tak type of sound?
Yes Sir, it does sometimes. Mainly at the Morning start-ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
because it was not coming out of the Start cycle to Normal mode (idling; all cylinders were not firing).

The problem is you can't yourself - you wouldn't have the instrumentation or tools. Your service guys should be able to. This is an intermittent problem, so they have to be really systematic.
Thanks Sir,

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Lack of compression cannot be ruled out!
Thanks Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
Saurabh you have valuable suggestions from many. Here are some from me. Black smoke is because of excess diesel. Some things to check (i might be repeating) -
  1. Broken Vacuum pipe
  2. Damaged wiring
  3. Clean filters - air, fuel and sedimenter
  4. Fuel pump issue
  5. choked injectors
  6. choked catalytic converter
  7. choked EGR valve
  8. MAP Sensor damaged - it does not give an ECU error.
You may want to rule out all these things. Also check ECU if there is any error logged. Best of luck, keep us posted
Thanks Sir, I guess I can void point 3 here. Just got the 45k service & I am aware that all these filters were replaced. At least Air & Fuel are done.

More troubles:
I usually do not run the engin on higher revs while driving. Now, During 1500-1600 RPM mark: engine just chokes, drops below 1500 emits lot of smoke & jumps to 1600 RPM. I hear a fast kich-kich-kich noise during chocking period. Post that engine behaves normaly. If i again go below 1500 mark & rev up entire process repeats itself.

Thanks All,

With all your points I need to get the injectors & EGR Valve checked, primarily & all other as Mentioned by ankur_gupta10. It is due tomorrow.

This is an absolute eye opener & shocker for me , as the vehicle came out of 45K Km service recently. Hardly a month ago. All these problems started occuring after that. They additionally performed some "Flushing of the engine", where they pour in some cleansing agent in the engine after oil change & ran the engine for few minute. Drained the agent & then pour the fresh oil in. they said it will be helpfull for Injectors & Injectors seem to be main issue.

I have to seriously beat the hell out of the service centre, how can they ignore it, I had informed them about inspecting Injectors to be taken care off. I had read in a post somewhere about injectors to be checked at this point, I guess SMSrini had mentioned some issues about injectors.
Will be putiing my beast again for service tomorrow morning & will post what i get out of it.

Hoping this post is not too long

Thanks again to all,
Fingers Crossed,
Saurabh
Old 16th August 2013, 12:30   #5279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... During 1500-1600 RPM mark: engine just chokes, drops below 1500 emits lot of smoke & jumps to 1600 RPM. I hear a fast kich-kich-kich noise during chocking period. Post that engine behaves normaly. If i again go below 1500 mark & rev up entire process repeats itself. ...
That doesn't sound good at all. The kich-kich-kich noise sounds like oil deprivation, and I hope it isn't at the turbo! If the turbo doesn't rotate, it is actually choking off air, which can cause smoke to be produced (fuel OK, air less). Not sure how that should be observed and checked; hopefully it is not. Anyone?
Old 16th August 2013, 12:51   #5280
BHPian

Quote:
They additionally performed some "Flushing of the engine", where they pour in some cleansing agent in the engine after oil change & ran the engine for few minute. Drained the agent & then pour the fresh oil in. they said it will be helpful for Injectors & Injectors seem to be main issue.
Engine flush has nothing to do with injectors. It just helps to degrease the engine. Turbocharger might be the problem, as car manual specifically mentions that it is important to High rev the car frequently, and it is also important to wait for 1-2 minutes when shutting/starting the car so that turbocharger is not dry. Also once you are rid of this problem consider changing oils every 7.5k Km, if you do more than 50% city driving. Best Luck
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks