Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2013, 14:45   #5236
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Off late the sound exactly similar to this is being heard.

Safari experts any clue to this if this is indeed the timing belt tensioner or something else before i head to TASS?
Since the noise is coming in a cycle, its definitely from the pulleys, perhaps a bad bearing, get it checked.
Old 22nd July 2013, 14:47   #5237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Use a test bulb or a VOM to see if the fuse cluster near the steering has 12 V coming in. Check the fuses in the Engine compartment as well. It may feed the instrument clusters as well the lights inside.
Attend to the silencer pipe ASAP or you will be breathing the exhaust fumes. My earlier TCIC developed a crack in the exhaust pipe in the engine bay and I could sense the fumes. In DICOR, you may not even sense the fumes. Drive with the windows lowered until you attend to this issue.
I tested the voltages at battery while the car was running it was 11.98 V. I suppose that either the alternator is not giving output or something in between Alternator and Battery/instrument cluster is gone wrong (might be rectifier).

About the silencer issue you're right I can;t even sense the fumes inside, maybe the air insulation is good in DICOR.
Old 22nd July 2013, 15:01   #5238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I tested the voltages at battery while the car was running it was 11.98 V.

I suppose that either the alternator is not giving output or something in between Alternator and Battery/instrument cluster is gone wrong (might be rectifier).

About the silencer issue you're right I can;t even sense the fumes inside, maybe the air insulation is good in DICOR.
The first issue - the battery showing 11.98 V indicates that the alternator is not charging. But that has nothing to do with instrument cluster going dead. All electrical loads run off the battery. The alternator just keeps the battery charged when the engine is running. So identify why the Instrument cluster is not alight.

The second issue - about the fumes. TCIC tends to emit smoke which causes eye irritation while a DICOR rarely emits smoke. If your AC is stuck in 'internal circulation' you may not detect any sign inside. But don't count on sensing carbon monoxide which is colorless and odorless.
Some cars tend to inject CO inside the car when the exhaust pipes are blocked by stagnant water when the car is stationary and the engine is running.
Old 22nd July 2013, 17:22   #5239
BHPian

Quote:
Suddenly, the instrument cluster went dead today,
PS: I checked all the fuses inside fuse box near steering, all of them are fine. The only light that works is the High beam light.
You might also want to check the fuse box in the engine also?

Quote:
I change the diesel filter only at 30K kms and the car has run 1.3L kms, I am more worried about the sedimentor it has tobe changed at 1L kms which I have not! This heck thing costs 4.5K at TASC.
I also change at 30k only, running fine. The sedimenter should be cheaper outside. The TASS spares are easily 30% expensive that outside market. It is of Delphi.
Old 22nd July 2013, 20:42   #5240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Some cars tend to inject CO inside the car when the exhaust pipes are blocked by stagnant water when the car is stationary and the engine is running.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
I also change at 30k only, running fine. The sedimenter should be cheaper outside. The TASS spares are easily 30% expensive that outside market. It is of Delphi.
Thanks alot guys, got the problems corrected.

Problem No 1: The instrument Cluster gone dead. It was a mere fuse blown which I was'nt able to detect.

Problem No 2: Got the silencer welded, costed 50 Rs for the welding and 400 Rs labour as I got some other works too done.
mercedised is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 21:03   #5241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Problem No 1: The instrument Cluster gone dead. It was a mere fuse blown which I was'nt able to detect...
Do you remember the location and rating? Also, any reason why will fuse blow off? I have an upcoming trip with family for >2000kms. Want to carry some spare fuse, if possible.

-BJ
Old 22nd July 2013, 21:57   #5242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Do you remember the location and rating? Also, any reason why will fuse blow off? I have an upcoming trip with family for >2000kms. Want to carry some spare fuse, if possible.

-BJ
Just get 2 of each that shown in the fuse box. Fuse box would have spare of each by default but a.s.s people would have used the same and might not replace the used ones.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 23:20   #5243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post

-BJ
yes, the fuse box in Safari is located on the bottom-right of the steering inside the car. The fuse rating was 5 Amps. You already have a few spare fuses in the fuse compartment, just make sure that they are up to date.
mercedised is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 13:30   #5244
BHPian

During 90K service, cam sensor was replaced due to slight oil seepage. Now the engine missing at 1500 rpm has popped up back. Experts any idea how to troubleshoot? This problem was there when the car was new and TASS did lot of trouble shooting but finally it died off at around 60K. Now back again and makes drive uncomfortable seeing all the black puffs engine gives.
Old 30th July 2013, 09:49   #5245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
During 90K service, cam sensor was replaced due to slight oil seepage. Now the engine missing at 1500 rpm has popped up back. Experts any idea how to troubleshoot? This problem was there when the car was new and TASS did lot of trouble shooting but finally it died off at around 60K. Now back again and makes drive uncomfortable seeing all the black puffs engine gives.
Have you tried to use either the bardhal or System D for a couple of tankfuls ? And also gunned the engine hard in lower gears for a couple of minutes or do a highway run.. this used to typically resolve the issue.
Old 30th July 2013, 10:08   #5246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Have you tried to use either the bardhal or System D for a couple of tankfuls ? And also gunned the engine hard in lower gears for a couple of minutes or do a highway run.. this used to typically resolve the issue.
I have not tried system D but i think they are adding bardhal during service. High RPM runs are common since its used on highways more. Usually upto 2500 rpm during 6 to 8 hrs. Earlier in this forum, i had seen many complaining about this problem on 2.2 or is it only for BS4 models?
Old 30th July 2013, 19:14   #5247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
I have not tried system D but i think they are adding bardhal during service. High RPM runs are common since its used on highways more. Usually upto 2500 rpm during 6 to 8 hrs. Earlier in this forum, i had seen many complaining about this problem on 2.2 or is it only for BS4 models?

This was found in the 2.2 Dicors as well. IMO System D worked well, but you have to use for atleast 3-4 tankfuls..
Old 31st July 2013, 10:07   #5248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
This was found in the 2.2 Dicors as well. IMO System D worked well, but you have to use for atleast 3-4 tankfuls..
Tata claims not to use these additives on Dicor engines ->
http://customercare.tatamotors.com/service/fuelAdd.asp

I never tried any additives ever, like to learn from others experience.
My 2.2 dicor has done 50K already.
Old 31st July 2013, 14:38   #5249
Senior - BHPian

Error: Barometric sensor level : HIGH

Error Code: P0108

another error was related to EGR control valve.

Could anybody identify the problem?

Car: Safari 3.0L DICOR
Old 31st July 2013, 15:26   #5250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Error Code: P0108...
Sorry, no personal experience, but, this link http://www.obd-codes.com/p0108 has good info. Looks like manifold vacuum is compromised or sensor is acting up.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks