Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2013, 19:12   #5206

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
Hello

Now when i went to take the delivery the engine check light showed. The person scanned with an hand scanner and not a laptop. Following was the err code

p2015 swirl feedback fault
inperr/ctlerr/ctlrng

Now can anyone shed some lift on this and what must be my approach. The supervisor is known to me and will take any suggestions provided.
Any help appreciated
@lodhra
Do not worry because of this issue as the only solution for this problem is COMPLETE REPLACEMENT of THE INTAKE MANIFOLD- that’s it and nothing else.
I had been through same ordeal within 6 months of ownership and finally with the active help of Tata Motors CSM of Lucknow region the issue was sorted out.
Pl. go through the link below, it has details of what I went through and what this P2015 is all about-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2674843

This issue is a result of transition from BS3 to BS4 emission norms compliance, as they had to incorporate a different design of intake manifold for the same.

My car shuttles between Lucknow (where parents stay) and Kharagpur (where I stay) regularly.

After resolution of problem in Lko I came to Kharagpur and visited Kolkata for a schedule service, there upon casual discussion with the service adviser about resolved P2015 issue, came to know that in the Kolkata region among the three dealer service centers (M/S KB, TC …etc.) the standard procedure to address/resolve this error code (P2015) was replacement of Intake Manifold. The service adviser claimed that he had replaced many and it is a prevailing issue yet to be sorted out. This discussion all is during Dec’11 and Jan’12.
He also claimed about the fact that this instruction / service note was from Tata Motors Service themselves and their reps. in the region.

So go ahead and pursue its replacement as what your TASS at present is trying to do is just delete the error log from the ECU without going deep trying to analyse the root cause of its occurrence.

Now the moral of what I have stated in detail above is that there is still a clear lack of INTEGRATION in the Tata Motors Service domain. It should be a Key Action Area to be addressed in the on-going reform process undertaken by the new management if anyone is listening!
ambylover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 23:37   #5207
BHPian

Hello experts,

I am posting this for my friend who has a Safari 2.2VTT Lx that has clocked 68k on the odo. The vehicle is suffering from engine oil leak and the issue is not fixed despite repeated visits to Concorde B'lore workshop. According to him the leakage first occurred after the vehicle returned from servicing in Dec 2012.

To add to the issue, the 'Service' light glows intermittently and somtimes along with the speedo meter suddenly reaching up to 140 km/hr reading, though the vehicle is actually going at much less speed (say 80 km/hr).

There is no fixed pattern - Sometime it happens after starting the vehicle and in neutral gear itself, service light will start glowing and then Speedo meter start go upto 140KM and then come back. Then if apply clutch and/or apply accelerator and release it will vanish. It may come back again after sometime when you change gear or something. The Speedo meter rotation does not happen all the time but majority of the time it is associated with the service light glowing. This happens in normal running condition on highways as well, all of sudden the service light glow and speedo meter starts climbing abruptly without applying accelerator.

It is not clear that the engine oil leak and the service light glow / speedo meter going to 140km/ hr issues are related. The ECU error code noticed by TASS are something like:

P0503 - Vehicle speed signal - excessive menu
P0500 - Vehicle speed signal - generic menu

Would like to have some pointers before visiting TASS again, so that he has some idea to tell the guys where to look at to address the above issues once for all.

Thanks,
Sunil.
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:25   #5208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
Can you please share the part no of 12 pipe. In my car it is also leaking, and my local parts guy either wants the complete pipe or its number to make the order to the supplier.
Hi Ankur,

I dont have the part number but the rubber hose pipe is black in color and is called IC to Intake manifold hose. You will have to check for the exact part number from TASS.

Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:44   #5209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_k_u View Post
Hello experts,
The vehicle is suffering from engine oil leak.
If he is confident, that it is only the engine oil leaking, then as per my knowledge, there are only 2 places for a leak, the oil filter and engine seal. As is started after the service, might be because o faulty fitting of oil filter. However something like an oil leak should not be tough to identify. Oil should leave a mark where it flows.

Quote:
Hello experts,
To add to the issue, the 'Service' light glows intermittently and somtimes along with the speedo meter suddenly reaching up to 140 km/hr reading, though the vehicle is actually going at much less speed (say 80 km/hr).
It should be the speed sensor or its wiring.
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:16   #5210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello experts,

I am posting this for my friend who has a Safari 2.2VTT Lx that has clocked 68k on the odo. The vehicle is suffering from engine oil leak and the issue is not fixed despite repeated visits to Concorde B'lore workshop. According to him the leakage first occurred after the vehicle returned from servicing in Dec 2012.
The oil filter spanner, which is like a big ring wrench, if used too firmly to tighten the filter at the time of replacement, can pierce the thin outer casing of the filter. Also, the oil leak from the filter would show up only when the engine is running. There is a very little chance that the filter would drip oil (except for a little quantity, that too is the leak is big enough) while engine is switched off. This is because the pressure inside the filter is built only when the engine is running unlike a leak in oil sump, which would leak 24X7 until the oil exists in the sump.

Regards,
Saket
Old 3rd July 2013, 17:32   #5211
BHPian

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. My friend managed to take pictures of the area in the engine bay where he saw the oil leak. Apologies for the poor quality of the picture taken on mobile. Hope it helps to have an idea about the location that we are talking about. Please note that he cleaned the oil spill with a cotton cloth before taking the pictures for better clarity.

The update is that he is planning to visit TASS again; this time with the determination to encourage the gentlemen over there to fix the issue permanently

Thanks,
Sunil.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-oil-leak1_1.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-oil-leak2_2.jpg  

Old 4th July 2013, 00:38   #5212
BHPian

Hi. I have a strange issue in my 2012 LX Safari Dicor (done 7000km in one year)

The pickup, fuel economy is all okay but when I am driving in 5th gear at 90kmph+ and I leave the accelerator pedal, there is a strange humming sound and the engine feels a bit strained. This is only for the duration for when I leave the accelerator pedal and only in 5th gear and above 90kmph. The issue goes away if I keep the accelerator depressed just a bit.

The job card for this is open at Concorde, Delhi and they are supposed to have a look at it next week however my confidence level there is really low. I feel Tata could employ monkeys there and the difference would not be noticeable to the customer. The last time this guy put my car in an open manhole, luckily it was not deep.

The safari is such a fun car - pity the service staff is just interested servicing taxis and filling up the feedback forms themselves. I would love to get a referral of a SA there who actually gives a damn.
Old 4th July 2013, 08:02   #5213
BHPian

Guys any good TATA service centres in Amrithsar?
I need to get my Safari gearbox checked as it is not engaging into reverse gear.

Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 12:30   #5214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
Guys any good TATA service centres in Amrithsar?
I need to get my Safari gearbox checked as it is not engaging into reverse gear.

Thanks
My suggestion would be to get the gear box done from a local good mechanic... U will save a decent money. U can discuss with local taxi drivers (preferably sumo ones) and they should be able to guide you to the best place.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 13:37   #5215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay View Post
when I am driving in 5th gear at 90kmph+ and I leave the accelerator pedal, there is a strange humming sound and the engine feels a bit strained. This is only for the duration for when I leave the accelerator pedal and only in 5th gear and above 90kmph. The issue goes away if I keep the accelerator depressed just a bit.
I think it might be a differential issue. I don't know much about the Safari in & out but its a common issue with rear wheel drive vehicles. A worn out or incorrectly fitted propeller shaft coupling often results in the symptoms you have mentioned. Get it checked along with the differential itself, just to be safe.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 14:14   #5216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
... My friend managed to take pictures of the area in the engine bay where he saw the oil leak. Apologies for the ....

Looks like turbo oil return line. Part costs about 450/- and labour about 300/- at TASS. New pipe they fit has a better design. Mine had that leak too. It was slow 1 or 2 drops overnight after driving.

-BJ
Old 4th July 2013, 14:40   #5217
BHPian

Thanks bj96 for the response. The vehicle is in Prerana B'lore workshop now - as I have been having good experience with them last 5+ years in servicing my Safari, I sent him there.

I have informed my friend about all the information collected via my post at this forum. My friend is following up with the workshop very closely this time, so we would have a feedback if the real issue is identified and fixed.

Knowledge is power and we get it in abundance from this forum; good going tbhp . Thanks again for all responses.

-Sunil.
Old 4th July 2013, 18:09   #5218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
I need to get my Safari gearbox checked as it is not engaging into reverse gear. ...
It could be that the clutch is not disengaging fully.

You should first get the clutch adjustment done.
Old 6th July 2013, 12:38   #5219
Senior - BHPian

This is the crank sensor, the seal must have busted. Seal is part of the sensor therefore they should put the liquid seal around it and fix it back.
Old 7th July 2013, 09:44   #5220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambylover View Post
@lodhra
Do not worry because of this issue as the only solution for this problem is COMPLETE REPLACEMENT of THE INTAKE MANIFOLD- that’s it and nothing else.
I had been through same ordeal within 6 months of ownership and finally with the active help of Tata Motors CSM of Lucknow region the issue was sorted out.
Pl. go through the link below, it has details of what I went through and what this P2015 is all about-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2674843

This issue is a result of transition from BS3 to BS4 emission norms compliance, as they had to incorporate a different design of intake manifold for the same.

Thanks I had gone through your thread after which I came to know of the error. I myself took an OBD2 scanner. The error has not cropped since. My extended warranty is till 2014 and the TASS guy told me he will replace everything if required but told me to first get a run and see if the error comes again as it would be evident a speeds of 70-90 km/hr. He told me that they had changed many Air intake assembly before when they got an note from TATA that the software upgrade causes the error and to delete it 2-3 times and than check if it persist. He did that and Even when the error was logged there was no lag in the car. After the delete and extensive trial the error has not come on the dash . Since I have myself bought an OBD scanner from ebay and use the ANDROId TORQUE software to check ECU codes it has not shown up. I plan to go to GOA in month of september and check if it shows up. He has promised me to change if it comes again and gave me his card and told me that if it comes I need not even take appointment, just come and he will do it in extended warranty.

Quote:
Hello experts,

There is no fixed pattern - Sometime it happens after starting the vehicle and in neutral gear itself, service light will start glowing and then Speedo meter start go upto 140KM and then come back. Then if apply clutch and/or apply accelerator and release it will vanish. It may come back again after sometime when you change gear or something. The Speedo meter rotation does not happen all the time but majority of the time it is associated with the service light glowing. This happens in normal running condition on highways as well, all of sudden the service light glow and speedo meter starts climbing abruptly without applying accelerator.

Thanks,
Sunil.
Do not know if this would help you, but i had similar problem of service light coming intermittently sometimes going and coming on speed breakers; coming on at high speeds and than going or coming on clutch operations etc and it took one year to trouble shoot and finally it was found that the point behind the glow plug was melted. Thats about it

I HAVE ANOTHER PHANTOM PROBLEM

t seems my luck after each service just runs out. First after the above problems were resolved some one hit my windshield with a playing marble and it got cracked

Now second problem which I would require urgent suggestion. During my last visit to TASS they had informed me of an loose connection in the ignition key system and informed me it is not a thing to worry only sometimes the headlights may not turn up or it may show service light . To fix it they may require to change the entire assemble which is not under warranty so do not do anything unless required

Now from yesterday I have a peculiar problem with central locking

1>When i turn the ignition the DOOR OPEN light does not turn off. This is a problem as when one parks the car and presses the LOCK button the car sets of the burglar alarm which is causing nuisance

2>The only way to stop this is to UNLOCK THE CAR, than MANUALLY PRESS THE door lock button on DRIVER SIDE and than close the door. This does not cause any problem

3>I may be going to TASS in few days to replace the windshield but i wanted some definitive inputs from you how to solve this problem

I have checked under the dashboard and there is no cut wiring to the doors. I have checked all other doors too.

Last edited by lodhra : 7th July 2013 at 09:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks