Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2013, 10:55   #5116
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Bangalore Safari users any recommendations for non A.S.S garage for regular service ;

My Safari has done 50K and it's 10 K from last service.

Plan to get following things done around 13-14K.

1. Hub greasing , hubs were greased in last service
2. Master slave cylinder cleaning.
Clutch is hard as it was from day 1 , T.A.S.S kept on telling this as normal showing reading on gague but once warranty is over they recommend clutch change. I see no sign of slippage and clutch test looks fine to me.

3. Break cleaning

4. Radiator fluid change : Manual says every 2 year it is almost 2 years from last change.
But is it really needed ? Seeing the size of radiator it is going to poke a big hole in pocket.

5. Centre pin greasing.

6. Gear oil change

7. Manual says there are some greasing points in differential /axle which needs to be greased with grease gun.

8. Does differential oil ( 4X2) needs change at 50K ?

9. Air filter

10. Oil and oil filter.

Seeing this long list. Should I go back to T.A.S.S and get only expensive things done outside ?

Last edited by amitk26 : 6th May 2013 at 10:58.
Old 6th May 2013, 12:58   #5117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
But, to my surprise the steering has a fair bit of PLAY now too? What might be the cause? The mechanic tells that something inside power steering box has gone bad.
Pinion gap adjustment is possible to reduce steering play. I dont think TASC does this but outside mechanics do this job. They drain and refill oil in steering box and then adjust play. Try if your mechanic does this. I did it once and the play was comparable to a rack and pinion steering set up. Hope you replaced the centre link and tie rods while doing your suspension.
ameaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 17:04   #5118
BHPian

You should have tried Concord motors in Mohan Cooperative Estate. This is Tata owned service center
Old 6th May 2013, 17:59   #5119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seeing this long list. Should I go back to T.A.S.S and get only expensive things done outside ?
If your vehicle is under warranty, I'd suggest you get it done at the TASS itself, just specify the work to be done so that they don't fleece you with unnecessary add ons.
I regularly get the service done at Prerana Motors who have their workshops at Peenya and Kudlu Gate, can put in a word at either place if you like.
Old 6th May 2013, 18:13   #5120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
If your vehicle is under warranty, I'd suggest you get it done at the TASS itself, just specify the work to be done so that they don't fleece you with unnecessary add ons.
I regularly get the service done at Prerana Motors who have their workshops at Peenya and Kudlu Gate, can put in a word at either place if you like.
No it's out of warranty till now was going to A.S.S and I just want to try some alternative if it exists.
Old 6th May 2013, 18:36   #5121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No it's out of warranty till now was going to A.S.S and I just want to try some alternative if it exists.
You can check with Pavan Kadam, his mechanics do a pretty good job at a very reasonable cost, but going to the TASS means you at least get genuine parts.
Old 6th May 2013, 20:03   #5122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
I have always seen the workshops charge extra for things like 9,10,11,12 which should be part of the servicing..Now with servicing cost around 1500, it is very weird that all it includes is washing and engine oil+filter change. Why does Tata motors not take action against dealers charging fraudulently?
Havent paid them during the Warranty period for these, show them the Manual.
Old 9th May 2013, 12:23   #5123
BHPian

Have anyone experienced rusting on the rear wheel brake drums? I have done 3M underbody rust prevention/coating but this part is not covered! Any recommendations to treat these parts? I have seen folks painting just that brake drum in a distinct color, looks good too.

My 9 year old Fiat Palio never had rusting on brake drums!
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-img_20130427_111405-large.jpg  

Old 9th May 2013, 14:00   #5124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
Have anyone experienced rusting on the rear wheel brake drums? ...
Of course! They are steel and they will eventually rust!
We of the old Landmaster and Ambassador days have seen it often!

You need to have protection coatings applied after due diligence, ie stripping off the old coatings and thorough cleaning.
Old 9th May 2013, 16:11   #5125
BHPian

Hi all I recently noticed that When i slot from the 5th gear in to the 4th i get a "tick" sound or a click noise. Never noticed this before So what is this noise and should i check something? The clutch is hard as usual and the gears are notchy.please advise.
Old 12th May 2013, 22:59   #5126
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone faced problems with the dampers on the rear differential ?
How can you check if they are ok or need replacement ? Are these hydraulic dampers ?
Old 13th May 2013, 16:05   #5127
Senior - BHPian

And so the battery is dying a slow death.. Its almost 4 years on the OEM battery. It started to leak the acid and corrode the clamps. I guess a sure shot way that its sick.

So off went to batterybhai dot com site and ordered the correct type. AAM-HW-HC620D31R (Rating 80A)

According to the test done at ASS via the test meter the battery CCA (Cold Crank Amp)

Volts - 12.9v
Measured CCA - 517
Rating CCA - 650
Cranking 11.3V
Rahulk76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 11:24   #5128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
And so the battery is dying a slow death.. Its almost 4 years on the OEM battery. It started to leak the acid and corrode the clamps. I guess a sure shot way that its sick.

So off went to batterybhai dot com site and ordered the correct type. AAM-HW-HC620D31R (Rating 80A)
Thanks Rahul.
How good is the above site ? The prices are competitive - at par with the local battery wallahs ?

My battery is nearing its useful life.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 11:33   #5129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Thanks Rahul.
How good is the above site ? The prices are competitive - at par with the local battery wallahs ?

My battery is nearing its useful life.
By 1830 yesterday the battery guy came and installed the battery. Quick and efficient.

Since the corrosive acid screwed-up one of the battery clamp, it broke . So thanks to LBT stir i cant get the clamps from the shops as they are closed. I tied one end of the battery holder with a thick wire until I can buy the clamp.

So far so good.

Regarding battery bhai site.. you place order.. they confirm and then send the battery with the technician. Once the battery is installed, they give the warranty card and bill & you pay them the cash (ofcourse)
Rahulk76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 11:43   #5130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
By 1830 yesterday the battery guy came and installed the battery. Quick and efficient.

So far so good.

Regarding battery bhai site.. you place order.. they confirm and then send the battery with the technician. Once the battery is installed, they give the warranty card and bill & you pay them the cash (ofcourse)
Thanks a lot Rahul. Your messages are quite helpful. Actually I was about to place the order and expected to pay online.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks