Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2013, 11:31   #5101
BHPian

Re: The Safari refurbish project

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Around 25% remaining. ODO is 83K. Original tyres. 2.5 yrs old
You should change. Even though the tread may seem to be there, it is not enough considering the mountains that you are referring to. 60k is good for the tyre and you have done 83 already.

Mod Note: Post edited. Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post. For the correct way to quote, please see this thread.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th April 2013 at 12:20.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 15:04   #5102
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Faced a problem recently on my safari. The driver door got locked while my friend was exiting the vehicle and without knowing he closed the door with keys in. Stuck in middle of road for some time till spare key arrived. Though logically it should not happen, i checked and noticed this. With the driver door open, if you try to lock the car from inside, first it will reject and all doors wont lock. If you try it immediately again, then all doors get locked. If you close the door in this condition and if your keys are inside, then your are stuck.

Is this a BUG or a FEATURE in Safari? Experts please advice.
Old 3rd May 2013, 17:54   #5103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... The driver door got locked while my friend was exiting the vehicle and without knowing he closed the door with keys in. ...
Err... how did the door get locked when the key was in? Even the remote would have been with it, right?

There are 3 ways a door gets locked (no matter who is in or out):
1. Mechanical door lock (from outside) / latch from inside
2. Remote-operated locking (outside or inside)
3. Auto-lock after engine start (after time delay)

Which of these 3 methods locked the door? Or did that person, like with good old M800 / Van, lock the door with the door latch when he was inside (but door open) and then closed the door when outside?

Definitely not the scenario you described. No matter how many times you try, the doors won't lock as long as one door is open / not closed properly. The flashing of the indicator lights is different, and the horn will honk as a warning.
Old 3rd May 2013, 22:51   #5104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Or did that person, like with good old M800 / Van, lock the door with the door latch when he was inside (but door open) and then closed the door when outside?
Fact is this was unintentionally done. But like old M800 can you lock the inside latch of driver door in a safari with door open?

I am not sure if this is a problem with my car. I would like to know if every safari works the same was as below.

With driver door open try locking the door latch from inside. In my car the door latch will immediately return back with great force and it wont lock any doors. But if you do the same thing again all door gets locked with the driver door open and if you close the door with key inside, doors are all locked.
Old 3rd May 2013, 23:39   #5105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fact is this was unintentionally done. But like old M800 can you lock the inside latch of driver door in a safari with door open? ...
Of course, like any car. The mechanical latch is the primary mechanism. Power locks only assist in closing that. If the electrical solenoid doesn't work for any reason, the mechanical lever still works. If you manually close the latch from inside, central locking tries to lock all doors. If you manually open, all doors open.

Quote:
... I am not sure if this is a problem with my car. I would like to know if every safari works the same was as below. ...
Yes, as you describe - except that in mine it doesn't lock till all the doors are closed. The lock keeps trying to close, but rebounds on every try. If I leave it in the unlocked state after unsuccessfully trying to lock, the horn starts beeping after a short delay. Has happened to me a few times - when I have pressed the lock button by mistake while exiting the car (it's my habit to remove the key from ignition as soon as I switch engine off - the key *must* be in my hand even if I am getting down for a couple of minutes).

Quote:
... if you close the door with key inside, doors are all locked.
I still cannot understand how the key can be inside when trying to lock - and the person outside. Key still inside the ignition switch and trying to lock via remote on the same ring???
Old 3rd May 2013, 23:52   #5106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
If you manually close the latch from inside, central locking tries to lock all doors. If you manually open, all doors open.
In mine with the driver door open if i manually close the latch from inside, the central lock returns back with force. Now if I do the same manual closing immediately again it locks all doors.

Horn sounds when you lock with remote and any of the doors and not fully closed.
Old 4th May 2013, 16:38   #5107
BHPian

I gave my Safari 2.2 LX for the 30k service today at Rama Motors Okhla, I feel like I have been charged for stuff that isn't required.

Here's what the job card says:
1.Engine Oil Change : 2400
2.Oil Filter Change : 400
3.Air Filter Change : 700
4. Fuel Filter Change : 2000
5. Engine Flushing : 700
6. Engine Oil Suppliment : 450
7.Car Lubrication : 400
8.Engine Decarbonizing : 1300
9. Brake Pad Clean : 400
10. Brake Shoe Clean : 450
11. Centre Pin Greasing : 300
12. Hub Greasing : 700
13. Differential Oil replace: 200

Can someone please go through this list and the prices and whether it all looks okay.

Last edited by Ajitsingh208 : 4th May 2013 at 16:40. Reason: Missed adding a point
Old 4th May 2013, 17:38   #5108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
8. Engine Decarbonizing : 1300
I feel the quoted 3 were not required.

Decarbonizing is just a way for them to make some money. Read all about it here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...mystified.html.

Other than that, I would let the Safari experts answer you.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 21:43   #5109
BHPian

Quote:
I gave my Safari 2.2 LX for the 30k service today at Rama Motors Okhla, I feel like I have been charged for stuff that isn't required.

Can someone please go through this list and the prices and whether it all looks okay.
In Addition to the above, I got a call from SA stating that the Brake Pads and the Disc also needs to be changed.
I had read here that Discs are covered under warranty but the SA is refusing to honour it. He's saying that the damage to the discs is due to the worn brake pads.
Please suggest my future course of action. Would sending an email to customercare suffice or do I need to escalate it to someone else?
Old 4th May 2013, 23:00   #5110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In Addition to the above, I got a call from SA stating that the Brake Pads and the Disc also needs to be changed.
I had read here that Discs are covered under warranty but the SA is refusing to honour it. He's saying that the damage to the discs is due to the worn brake pads.
Please suggest my future course of action. Would sending an email to customercare suffice or do I need to escalate it to someone else?
Seems like the exact issue cool_dude faced. Quoting the relevant posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Hi gang!

Any idea if front discs are covered under EW? Mine seem to have developed an issue and need to be replaced. The EW claim placed by the A.S.S. has been rejected saying that this is a "wear & tear" item. Just wanted to confirm with you all before I dig into my pocket.

Cheers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A.S.S. will change brake discs under extended warranty upto 40,000kms.
But the Extended warranty manual does not say 40,000kms. So I sent a mail to Tata motors customer care. This way at close to 80,000kms I got my brake discs covered under extended warranty.
So you go to A.S.S And tell them to show you in extended warranty booklet where it says that brake discs are not covered under extended warranty after XXXX kms
Quote:
Thanks Tanveer. My Safari has only done 30,000 km. Should I pursue this with TML customer care?
Quote:
Only 30,000kms? Then simply show the page in your booklet to the A.S.S
They have to give you warranty. Go to Concorde motors. They are owned by Tata. Call customer care and lodge a formal complaint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
If the vehicle has been serviced on time, then how come such unnatural wear and tear occurred?? Anyways the brake pads can be wear and tear, not discs..
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Nope, brake discs too are components which are subject to wear and tear, though not at 30k kms in an SUV.
Quote:
It did the trick!! I logged a complaint with TATA MOTORS customer care and within a day I got a call from the dealer that discs are covered under EW and will be replaced FOC! Will get it done soon.

This incident reaffirms that callousness on the part of TASS plays a major role in the negative image that TML has in the market today.

On the contrary, the EW booklet does not lay out any clause in terms of no. of km when it come to discs. It just says that discs are covered under EW, while pads and liners are not.
Quote:
Tata motors gives a book. It has many pages. On one of the pages there is a list of things covered under Extended warranty which kicks in two years after ownership
That page lists things like
*Shock absorbers covered till 35000kms*

On that page, brake discs are also mentioned, but no km reading is mentioned. Just like no km reading is mentioned for slave cylinder, master cylinder etc.,

Due to this written contract, Tata motors has an obligation to replace those parts under extended warranty, whether the vehicle has done 30,000kms or more. If Tata motors wants to cover these for only XXXXX kms, they better say so in the booklet.
Old 5th May 2013, 00:39   #5111
BHPian

Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L technical/Other problems/solutions Threadj

car lubrication is fraud. pls ask what have they lubricated.

from next time onwards just ask them to do bare minimum that is needed to maintain warranty. you can also check that in your manual. parts cost almost 50-30% Less in open market..

you only needed oil change for engine and differential, oil and fuel filter changed. just these 4 things.

i dont think you can haggle much with them now.

brake pads are for 900 in open market and tata charges you 4500. so just tell them you r ok with bad brakes and get them done from outside. the discs can be rubbed in lathe machine to sort it out. costs around 400.

Quote:

Old 5th May 2013, 02:35   #5112
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L technical/Other problems/solutions Threadj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
car lubrication is fraud. pls ask what have they lubricated..
Hubs need periodic greasing. So do suspension components. Even the locks and hinges need greasing sometimes.
That said, the car lubrication item looks suspicious.
But then its Rama motors. They are very crafty in making money and always try to pick the pocket of the customer.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 5th May 2013 at 02:40.
Old 5th May 2013, 10:11   #5113
Senior - BHPian

5,6,7,8 was not required, unless you asked for it, you should've refused to pay.

9,10,11,12 is part of the servicing and only the consumables like the grease should be charged.
Old 5th May 2013, 11:24   #5114
Senior - BHPian

Got the suspension Renewed, outside TASC. The mechanic who did the job works in TASC, Total cost around 12K including original components. But, I was surprised that a suspension job which costs around 21K in TASC does'nt includes shock-ups and springs. The springs cost around 3600 a pair if I remember correctly and shocks cost around 1100 Rs each.

But, to my surprise the steering has a fair bit of PLAY now too? What might be the cause? The mechanic tells that something inside power steering box has gone bad.
Old 6th May 2013, 10:23   #5115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
5,6,7,8 was not required, unless you asked for it, you should've refused to pay.

9,10,11,12 is part of the servicing and only the consumables like the grease should be charged.
I have always seen the workshops charge extra for things like 9,10,11,12 which should be part of the servicing..Now with servicing cost around 1500, it is very weird that all it includes is washing and engine oil+filter change. Why does Tata motors not take action against dealers charging fraudulently?

Quote:
Hubs need periodic greasing. So do suspension components. Even the locks and hinges need greasing sometimes.
That said, the car lubrication item looks suspicious.
But then its Rama motors. They are very crafty in making money and always try to pick the pocket of the customer.
He was already charged 700+300 for center pin and hub greasing, now if you are charged 400 more for lubrication, then it certainly should amount for fraud.. And lubrication should be part of the servicing. I wish Tata motors do something about the dealers inflating the bills so much.

Last edited by ankur_gupta10 : 6th May 2013 at 10:28. Reason: wanted to multiquote

Most Viewed