Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2013, 22:16   #5056
Senior - BHPian

But the sound comes even when the AC is off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

Lohit, Is the A/C Working fine ?

If yes, its simple , Its the Thermostat switch doing its Job Properly. The A/C compressor cuts off ( Klick ) during interim intervals once its achieved its cooling. That is absolutely normal
Old 17th March 2013, 13:26   #5057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
But the so comes even when the AC is off?
Did about 60 kms this morning and seems like the sound has vanished. Used ac for the entire stretch.

Now as pavan suggested I think that sound had something to do with thermostat switch?
Old 17th March 2013, 22:42   #5058
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Just read elsewhere that Tata now recommends and used Petronas 5W-40 for Safari's. And that there's a new ECU upgrade.
Old 17th March 2013, 22:54   #5059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosaf View Post
Hello Team-bhpians,
my TCIC safari 4x2 has this issue wherein the rpm drops after turning on the ac where as most cars i know there is a slight bump in the rpm by say 50-100(appx may be, not sure,please correct me if I am wrong). so is this normal with the TCIC model or is this the case with dicor as well?
Thank you.
I think the FICD (FAST IDLE CONTROL DEVICE) switch of your Fuel Injection Pump is either having a loose connection or has stopped working. This switch increases the RPM of the engine when the ac is switched on. I hope this helps.
BLACK1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 14:22   #5060
BHPian

Hi all,My safari has developed a strange noise which is coming from the engine bay recently.the sound that is heard iscan be described as "if you would shake a bunch of keys on a keychain". I have captured a video of the same. Please try and give me a hint as to what it might be from as I will be taking the Safari to the TASS tomorrow.

Old 19th March 2013, 15:23   #5061
BHPian

@richie4u, ask the mechanic to look for loose metal clips-the kind they use for clamping fuel/hyd lines. One or more could have come loose and may be vibrating on the pipe line.
Old 24th March 2013, 14:34   #5062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
It is better to identify the fuse and change the fuse yourself. You may need to change the fuse for something else away from TASS one day. Usually TATA leaves a couple of spare fuses in every fuse box. Take that 10 A fuse and identify the fuse by reading the legend on the fuse box cover. They even have a fuse extractor tool in the box. Use that to pull out the fuse.
Turned out exactly as you explained! Thanks. The Cigar fuse was in the fuse box on the right hand side of the steering, nicely documented on the flap, nicely color coded as well as specs written on each of them. Was fairly easy to change.

If such need arises at night or so, one should keep a torch handy.

Will refill the spare one whenever I pass by a TASS next time.

Last edited by mayuresh : 24th March 2013 at 14:35.
Old 24th March 2013, 16:04   #5063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
when you stand in front of the engine bay, it should be on the right, near the washer tank. a slim one with rubber cover is the ECU, and next to that is a rectangular box with a kink on one side, that contains all the fuses and relays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Looks like the starting motor solenoid. If the car is not used much, there is a tendency for the solenoid to get stuck. A good rap on the body of the starter motor with a wooden mallet can help. If it is too much to do for you, you will have to call the TATA breakdown service.

The part No.10 Solenoid Switch may be the culprit. I show the section from the Tata Dicor Service Manual here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This happens more often if battery is on its way out.
A quick way to fix this is to put the vehicle in neutral, then roll it a bit, and then engage gear. Then do it backwards with reverse gear.
1-2 such movement frees the stuck valve, and the car starts without issue.
If you have 4-5 people handy, put the vehicle in gear and rock back and forth.
Thanks guys

The tata breakdown service people came and started after a few pushes.

They got the starter motor serviced at MICO too and it seems to work fine now and the self has become shorter now.

All this costed 1200 Rs.
Old 25th March 2013, 09:00   #5064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK1 View Post
I think the FICD (FAST IDLE CONTROL DEVICE) switch of your Fuel Injection Pump is either having a loose connection or has stopped working. This switch increases the RPM of the engine when the ac is switched on. I hope this helps.
BLACK1 - i just got my mechanic to check the issue and he said you are absolutely correct,going to check the wiring in a couple of days as i am travelling,also one more advice that i would greatly appreciate is that the ac does the cooling only when the blower is set at highest speed, ie 4 and after cooling whenever i reduce it to speed 3 or 2 it stops cooling. Any idea why this happens?
rosaf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 13:41   #5065
BHPian

I got my safari serviced few weeks back, the car was fine then, after 2 days of servicing, minor oil leakage has started, took it back to service center and complained about the same, they said it will be rectified, next day i took the car, it was peefect, again few days back, the leak problem has started, checked power steering oli, break oil and engine oil. Everything seems to be fine. Not sure about the oil leak, where is it leaking from? Which oil could it be. Need help, suggestions. Man its just 7 months old.

P.S its not a major leakege, just few drops.
Old 27th March 2013, 07:40   #5066
BHPian

My Safari passenger side rear window has all of the sudden got life of its own. It's roles up automatically, when the window is closed it starts to make kat kat noise. I am leaving to Dharmastala tomorrow morning hence don't have time to visit the work shop.
Is there any DIY method to fix this.

Please note it is just a month old vehicle.

Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 08:32   #5067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
My Safari passenger side rear window has all of the sudden got life of its own. It's roles up automatically, when the window is closed it starts to make kat kat noise. I am leaving to Dharmastala tomorrow morning hence don't have time to visit the work shop.
Is there any DIY method to fix this.

Please note it is just a month old vehicle.

Thanks
There seems to be a short in the power window switch or near the motor itself, the khat khat noise is the motor action even after the window is closed as the power is not being cut off, I would advise you visit the service centre to rectify, if you are not going to unwind the window, you could close the window and then pry out the switch and disconnect the leads temporarily.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 10:21   #5068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
... pry out the switch and disconnect the leads temporarily.
You have to open the door pad anyhow. There is a connector for the switch, and a connector for the winder ('regulator' in Tata parlance) motor. Disconnect the motor connector and wrap some foam over it (stay it with a rubber band) so that it doesn't rattle.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 16:00   #5069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
You have to open the door pad anyhow. There is a connector for the switch, and a connector for the winder ('regulator' in Tata parlance) motor. Disconnect the motor connector and wrap some foam over it (stay it with a rubber band) so that it doesn't rattle.
Thanks Hari and DerAlte,
Sorry I don't have time to remove the door panel but I managed to remove the fuse that connects the problematic window. Now the switch does not work ie. I will not be able to bring the window down, thats fine till I finish the trip. Rest 3 power windows are working. I suppose this work around will not cause any problem till I vist the service centre next week?
Old 28th March 2013, 14:55   #5070
BHPian

New issue to report. I am at Dharmastala right now and the Safari refuses to get into reverse gear. Full family is involved in pushing the ship.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks