Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2013, 20:32   #5011
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hi Guys,

While cleaning the engine bay today, i noticed the oil in the poewer steering container was below the min level. There are no spots on the floor neither I could find anything in the engine bay though on the alloys there are traces of oil. I noticed this around 2 months ago also but then TASS guys topped it up and I didn't really pursue it. I am going to get it throughly chcked in next service which is not very far. Hissing is also there on the full lock but its always been there and I am not sure whether it is increased or not.

I picked up shell SPIRAX ATF (S1 ATF TASA) while Tata recommend HP ATF Type A and Castrol transpower TQ.

Is it okay if I use Shell SPIRAX, will there be any problem of 2 different oil mixing if I top it up whith Shell? I am but confused should i top it up or not?

Please advice.

-Ijeet
Old 17th February 2013, 21:45   #5012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuakeys View Post
Experts i am posting the pictures, Please check it let me know if has to be replaced or quick fix is enough with out replacing.

Thanks in advance

Check the amount of oil leakage
Its too much of oil and it will drain your engine, dangerous. Ask them to remove the whole plumbing and drain the oil, also change the oil separator.

Hope you are not overfilling your engine oil.
Old 18th February 2013, 11:15   #5013
BHPian

Hi,

I have a 2011 November Safari 2.2. A couple of days back, a strange noise started emnating from the driver side of the engine bay. It was like 'chic chic chic' sound, as if steam is coming out from a pressure cooker. This was with a frequency of almost twice per second. The noise could be clearly heard inside the cabin. In the last 3-4 days, the noise became less audible, and now it has disappeared. I did not get time to take it to the service center to check out the issue, but am hoping to go over the next weekend. Is this something that I need to worry about? OR anthing I should be aware of before the service center guys try to fool me?

Second issue, very occassionally the engine light stays on. For example, after some constant driving, I stop the car. The next time I switch the ignition on, the engine light stays on. I drive around. Maybe after 2-3 subsequent starts and stops (not immediately, but after driving around for 2-3 hrs) the light goes off. Second example, 3 days back, the engine light remained on when I started ignition in the morning while going to office. It remained on till I reached office (6kms away). In the evening while coming back home, the engine light was on again. But next day morning when I started, it dissappeared.

As I said, this does not happen frequently. It happens on very very few occassions. Should I be worried again? As per manual, I shouldnt be driving when the engine light is on. But there is no option when you are in the middle of the road.
Old 19th February 2013, 09:46   #5014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Well, a bit of exercise is therapeutic. (Over)doing it so regularly becomes a chore and moreover, window motors are not yet found to respond to Pavlovian training. Do it once in a while or only when you need it. If it has to fail, it will, nevertheless.

Mine is working OK, over 3 years. My safari is weekend rider only. I keep channels and beading clean and lubricated, though.

Cheers,
-BJ
Hi BJ
COuld you please explain how to clean the channels/beadings & lubircate them.
my safari glasses started developing mild scratches due to hadning of beadings.
please help

Ananth
Old 19th February 2013, 19:50   #5015
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I found that the coolant had leaked from my parked Safari, on checking the reservoir, I found that almost the entire quantity had drained, so today, topped up with half liter of coolant and a litre of distilled water and drove to the ASC at Peenya, it was found that the water pump had developed a leak and needed replacement, I was told that it will be covered under extended warranty, so need to check how much I'll have to shell out, the vehicle is being delivered back as I type.
Also, the shield under the engine has arrived and I have asked it to be treated with anti rust before fitment.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 21:10   #5016
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Usually Timing belt kit too is changed along with waterpump. Mine too was done under EW.

I think i paid around Rs 700.
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:04   #5017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananth_shukti View Post
Hi BJ
COuld you please explain how to clean the channels/beadings & lubircate
use a can of WD40 and spray the channels once in a couple of months or so. If you happen to take out door panels, like me, then you can lubricate the rail on which glass slide up or down.

Btw, anyone facing issues with safari door lock switch not working properly? Like mine, sometimes the switch would get stuck and even if you open the door, it will not light up the cabin or signal "door open" in dash. I used this link to successfully troubleshoot it. Worth looking at: http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...r-VAG-vehicles

Cheers,
-BJ
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:56   #5018
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
use a can of WD40 and spray the channels once in a couple of months or so. If you happen to take out door panels, like me, then you can lubricate the rail on which glass slide up or down.

Btw, anyone facing issues with safari door lock switch not working properly? Like mine, sometimes the switch would get stuck and even if you open the door, it will not light up the cabin or signal "door open" in dash. I used this link to successfully troubleshoot it. Worth looking at: http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...r-VAG-vehicles

Cheers,
-BJ
If you have the olde type of power window motor channel system(dual channel), you can take 1000kg of WD 40 and dump your car in it. It would not help. Tata therefore did a retro, made a single channel system which works better, and does not jam. I got that on my RHS front door. Thats the only fix to jamming windows.
Old 22nd February 2013, 13:02   #5019
BHPian

Ok, I need some advice here.
My Safari is at 75400 on the Odo, and the service is due.

This morning when coming in to work, after entering the office campus, there was a quite audible noise in the bonnet, like something getting caught in fan/belt.

Stopped it right away, called in KHT motors. They checked it and said the timing shift has happened; there were one or two strands of a belt material they took out.
They just towed her to the service station and will call back.

The car was starting ok and was able to move, but the noise was bad.

Would there have been any major damage? or just a belt change will do?
Is it covered in warranty?

Anyway I'm awaiting their call, meanwhile I thought I'll check here also...

Thanks for any advice.
Old 22nd February 2013, 14:53   #5020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Ok, I need some advice here.
My Safari is at 75400 on the Odo, and the service is due.

This morning when coming in to work, after entering the office campus, there was a quite audible noise in the bonnet, like something getting caught in fan/belt.

Stopped it right away, called in KHT motors. They checked it and said the timing shift has happened; there were one or two strands of a belt material they took out.
They just towed her to the service station and will call back.

The car was starting ok and was able to move, but the noise was bad.

Would there have been any major damage? or just a belt change will do?
Is it covered in warranty?

Anyway I'm awaiting their call, meanwhile I thought I'll check here also...

Thanks for any advice.
Since you stopped immediately and were able to start the car, should not be any serious damage.

timing belt should be covered under Warranty.... They will probably also check / change the water pump. If they dont, insist on it since the two go together.. as indicated in a couple of posts before this one..
Old 23rd February 2013, 16:49   #5021
BHPian

My Safari is now 14 months old. Back in November 2012, a problem started with breaking. On speeds over 90kmph, if I press the break pedal there is vibration from under body clearly evident through the seats and steering wheel.

I reported the issue and TASS replaced some shims and said its solved. But as usual its not resolved. So, I took it back to same TASS and they replaced the break drums and liners in warranty as they could not fix it in any other way. I was told the issue was resolved. It was only minimized but not resolved. I did not had a chance to test it as was busy with work. Finally in Jan I went on long drive and found the same issue. Now TASS replaced another part (I need to check the name), break booster and tyres as well. Still the issue is unresolved.

As of yesterday, they opened a helpdesk ticket with tata plant. They promised me a resolution by Tuesday which I am sure won't happen. So, far the car spent over 15 days in workshop.
Please let me know what can I do to prove that its a manufacturing defect and does anyone know if I can get a replacement vehicle till it comes out of the workshop?

Also what should my course of action if this continues for another 10days or more. They said they are going to change the axle if the issue is not resolved by Tuesday but will take lot of time to do it.

Please advise.
Old 23rd February 2013, 18:10   #5022
Senior - BHPian

Harry, get the silencer mount checked, if the silencer is not fixed properly their maybe vibration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry1983 View Post
My Safari is now 14 months old. Back in November 2012, a problem started with breaking...

Please advise.

Last edited by lohithrao : 23rd February 2013 at 18:12.
Old 25th February 2013, 10:08   #5023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Since you stopped immediately and were able to start the car, should not be any serious damage.

timing belt should be covered under Warranty.... They will probably also check / change the water pump. If they dont, insist on it since the two go together.. as indicated in a couple of posts before this one..
Update: The water pump pulley had developed a jerky rotation, thereby causing the timing belt to start shredding. My timing belt was almost in tatters and about to break.
Both are being replaced under extended warranty.

75K service also was due, so that meant she stays at the TASS over the weekend. Will be taking delivery today.

I suggest all Safari friends to check the timing belt and water pump if you are past 70000kms on the ODO.

I would also like to know what are the other things I should check/replace proactively now.. experts pls advise.
verditer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 19:15   #5024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would also like to know what are the other things I should check/replace proactively now.. experts pls advise.
get the battery checked, I just replaced the battery in my Safari as the OE one was sounding like giving up anytime.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 17:43   #5025
BHPian

Guys need help,

I possess a brand new Safari Dicor LX around 10 days old and driven only 180KM. When I parked the car in the office basement I noticed the car is been tilted to the right. At first I thought somethings wrong in parking lot hence changed the parking lots but still notice the car been tilted to the right when viewed from front. Is there any way to confirm if the car is straight or tilted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks