Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2013, 12:33   #4981
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

My engine shield underneath the engine had fallen off in the trip to Hampi/Goa. What is the cost of this shield ? Last time I checked with TASS - the SA told me they are coming up with a metalized fiber shield. So he didn't change the rusted shield at that time. Any idea ?
Old 23rd January 2013, 12:52   #4982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
My Safari is under extended warranty

Make sure they dont give you RECONDITIONED Injectors.

High cost spares replaced under warranty are typicall RECON spares, whereas when you have to buy, they make you buy new ones.

Pls check with the SA when you give it for injector replacements.
Old 23rd January 2013, 15:38   #4983
BHPian

You mean the glow plug?[/quote]
Yes the Glow plug .They tried to push the reconditioned injectors for 20k qty4 (no warranty)/new for 10k per piece(warranty only if you purchase all 4)...eventually didnt need them.
Old 23rd January 2013, 22:08   #4984
BHPian

@ SMSRINI

""Make sure they dont give you RECONDITIONED Injectors.""

How do we differentiate between the RECONDITIONED &/or NEW injectors.
though I don'y need them, but will be a help in future
Old 25th January 2013, 19:00   #4985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakamat View Post
Yes the Glow plug .They tried to push the reconditioned injectors for 20k qty4 (no warranty)/new for 10k per piece(warranty only if you purchase all 4)...eventually didnt need them.
I fail to understand - what does glow plug have to do with any behavior post engine start? I thought the role of glow plug was limited to firing up the engine. Please let me know if I am missing anything here.
Old 25th January 2013, 19:53   #4986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My engine shield underneath the engine had fallen off in the trip to Hampi/Goa. What is the cost of this shield ? Last time I checked with TASS - the SA told me they are coming up with a metalized fiber shield. So he didn't change the rusted shield at that time. Any idea ?
Even my vehicle needs this shield although it's not fallen off yet, it's being held by some altered mounts currently, the ASC has placed order for the shields and I am yet to get it. I plan to get it treated with anti rust before fitment this time though.

Quote:
I fail to understand - what does glow plug have to do with any behavior post engine start? I thought the role of glow plug was limited to firing up the engine. Please let me know if I am missing anything here.
+1 to that, the shuddering is post starting, so the work of the glow plugs is done by then I presume.

Last edited by Lukeskywalker : 25th January 2013 at 19:54.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 23:09   #4987
BHPian

Guys in Bangalore,

Where you get your alignment and balancing done? My safari is pulling to right and even after multiple visits to TA$$, its not solved.

Please Help

-Ijeet
Old 25th January 2013, 23:43   #4988
BHPian

T he explanation given by TASS engineer was that the vehicle 3 injectors were firing up smoothly immediately and the fourth was delayed so the juddering .Point is after the glow plug was changed the problem disappeared.
Old 26th January 2013, 09:23   #4989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys in Bangalore,

Where you get your alignment and balancing done? My safari is pulling to right and even after multiple visits to TA$$, its not solved.

Please Help
Why don't you try Madhus Enterprises on Langford town, our fellow Bhpian NikhilB2008 owns the place and it's highly recommended.
Old 27th January 2013, 09:47   #4990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post

Why don't you try Madhus Enterprises on Langford town, our fellow Bhpian NikhilB2008 owns the place and it's highly recommended.
Thanks Hari,

Can they do camber adjustments? Will give them a call today and will find out.

Thanks

PS: Do we have any safari meets in Bangalore? There are so many things which i think needs looking after but people at TASS shrug it of as being normal. It will be good if we can compare each other vehicals
Old 28th January 2013, 13:36   #4991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Even my vehicle needs this shield although it's not fallen off yet, it's being held by some altered mounts currently, the ASC has placed order for the shields and I am yet to get it. I plan to get it treated with anti rust before fitment this time though.

+1 to that, the shuddering is post starting, so the work of the glow plugs is done by then I presume.
Thank you Luke. When I bought the Safari, they sold the Anti rust treatment for 4 years. But they never retouched it after the first year in Concorde. In second year onwards, I could see this shield getting rusted and they never bothered. Now I am told that they have this complaint with this part and that is the reason they have gone in for fiber part.

I had imported Isuzu Engines a long time back. I have some experience in diesel engines. When all the glow plugs fail (usually due to the timer failing) the engine develops starting problem. But when only one glow plug fails, the engine will start all right - but will shudder for a few minutes until it warms up. The cold cylinder tends to miss which shows up as increased vibration. But this can happen mostly in indirect injection engine. Dicor is direct injection and should not cause much of an issue. But you have another variable thrown in this - the ECU which samples the cylinder temperature also to factor in.
Old 28th January 2013, 18:11   #4992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PS: Do we have any safari meets in Bangalore? There are so many things which i think needs looking after but people at TASS shrug it of as being normal. It will be good if we can compare each other vehicals
Hi Inder, some of us do meet often, and yes, most of the time we do talk about our vehicles and compare, you can share your contact details on pm and will keep you informed the next time we meet.
Old 1st February 2013, 18:58   #4993
Senior - BHPian

My Safari's gearbox creating issue for last 5-6K. While downshifting from 3rd to 2nd gear it was making grinding noise over 25Kmph speed. It was very irritating to downshift. My Safari is in extended warranty as standard warranty was over.

Gave my Safari to KHT yesterday and asked to resolve this problem of "Synchronizer Ring" in gearbox. They took out gearbox and changed synchronizer ring.

Just now I took road test and look like problem is resolved. After gearbox overhaul clutch again become butter smooth and really like it. Some hardness I was feeling but it is gone now. Clutch Plate is in very good condition after 35K at odo.

Also, I asked them that two of the doors making noise and they corrected that as well. Driver side window glass having big vertical scratch, look like some sharp thing is rubbing glass pane also asked them to correct this as well.

Still they have not delivered my car as they are yet to get approval. Synchronizer rings are covered in extended warranty. Tomorrow, they will deliver the car back to me after approval.

Some questions:
1. Why not (gear) oil(s) is covered in such warranty claim? What is customer's fault having problem in gearbox and then charging them for oil when car is in some form of warranty? They clearly told me oil is not covered.

2. Is window glass covered in EW?

3. I hope labour charge also covered in warranty?

Last edited by anujmishra : 1st February 2013 at 19:00.
Old 1st February 2013, 21:27   #4994
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
1. Why not (gear) oil(s) is covered in such warranty claim? What is customer's fault having problem in gearbox and then charging them for oil when car is in some form of warranty? They clearly told me oil is not covered.
Oil is considered as a consumable, and hence not covered under wty. What ever the logic used, this is the practice everywhere.

Labour should be covered.
Old 3rd February 2013, 19:30   #4995
BHPian

My cigarette lighter socket (of GX 4x2 2011) is not working. Perhaps the fuse is blown up - or at least I'd like to check that.

Is there any way to check the fuse myself?

I read the instructions in user manual. There are two fuse boxes - one under the bonnet and one under the dashboard. It says "identify the burnt fuses by examining the cut wire and replace with same or lower rating spare fuse". I don't know whether I should check both the fuse boxes and where are the "spare" fuses located or shall I just take it to workshop and get it checked.

Last edited by mayuresh : 3rd February 2013 at 19:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks