Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2013, 18:14   #4951
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Both issues have very simple solutions, a fuse is available almost at every auto parts store, and even replacing the fused bulb is a simple DIY.

Just to update - I got the fog lamp bulb (H3 bulb 55W) replaced at a car accessory shop. Did not venture into doing it myself as one need to access the same by going below the front bumper (or take it on a ramp), though I did find some interesting offers for the bulb on ebay etc.

However, I did replace the fuse for park lamp, LH (10A) myself after procuring a set of fuses from ebay (MINI BLADE CAR FUSES -PACIFIC MADE IN JAPAN, they claim). It worked like a charm confirming that the troubleshooting was correct; propmtly kept the remaining ones from the set for future use.

I would not have tried the above without the help/advice received from this forum - I would have taken the vehicle to TASS straight away and made a bigger hole in my pocket for sure, and not to mention the time/effort required for taking it to TASS, wait for the work to complete and take it back.

The satisfaction we get after doing things ourselves is the bonus. Long live Team BHP .

-Sunil
Old 2nd January 2013, 16:25   #4952
BHPian

To the Safari Gurus,
Recently bought a Safari LX, only a couple of days back. Will share the photo and buying experience later on though. But during fitment of a after-market Alloy, encountered with a starnge issues.

Whenever the front wheels are fitted with Alloy and turned lock to lock, it started fouling with the plastic flap and the inner body wall. But, there is abolutely no change in the tyre size, still has the shoe size of 235/70/R16.

Then my question :
- Is it a standard issue with any safari or mine got it special?
- How to rectify the problem here ?
Old 2nd January 2013, 18:44   #4953
Senior - BHPian

Recently bought a Safari LX, only a couple of days back. Will share the photo and buying experience later on though. But during fitment of a after-market Alloy, encountered with a starnge issues.

Quote:
Whenever the front wheels are fitted with Alloy and turned lock to lock, it started fouling with the plastic flap and the inner body wall. But, there is abolutely no change in the tyre size, still has the shoe size of 235/70/R16.

Then my question :
Did you check the wheel size and offset, not all 16" wheels are the same as the OE size.
Old 3rd January 2013, 07:44   #4954
BHPian

erratic idle RPM

Facing this issue of erratic engine rpm at idling. The RPM constantly hovers between 800 and 840 (detected via a scanner).I have been using System D for past 2 months (~ 6 tankfuls) with little or no effect.The truck has clocked 1,54,000 kms. Any pointers ?
Old 3rd January 2013, 09:07   #4955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399
Facing this issue of erratic engine rpm at idling. The RPM constantly hovers between 800 and 840 (detected via a scanner).I have been using System D for past 2 months (~ 6 tankfuls) with little or no effect.The truck has clocked 1,54,000 kms. Any pointers ?
Most probably clogged injectors. Ask the service center to do the use the diamond test suite to ascertain the health of injectors and fuel injection pump.

Also have the error codes checked via their diagnostic laptop.
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:42   #4956
Team-BHP Support

Re: erratic idle RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
Try changing fuel temperature sensor in the fuel pump. There is no diagnosis possible as there is no error code.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:01   #4957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Try changing fuel temperature sensor in the fuel pump. There is no diagnosis possible as there is no error code.
Any idea if Delphi service center will be able do this job ? As my Safari is out of warranty , I don't mind taking her directly to Delphi instead of going via TASC (Maybe I will end up saving few Rs. as well !!!)
Old 3rd January 2013, 12:36   #4958
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any idea if Delphi service center will be able do this job ? As my Safari is out of warranty , I don't mind taking her directly to Delphi instead of going via TASC (Maybe I will end up saving few Rs. as well !!!)
No, they cannot figure out anything. They will just scan ECU, when they do not find error codes, they will not be able to do anything.
I went through this for 6 months.
My suggestion is that if your vehicle is running properly, then let it be. This does not really cause any problem
Old 3rd January 2013, 12:37   #4959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatmaster View Post
To the Safari Gurus,

Then my question :
- How to rectify the problem here ?
To rectify just cut the mud flap, and use a hammer to press the area where the wheel is touching. Ask your tyre fitter to do that for you. You can also try ignoring this issue, as its only a minor irritant.

Quote:
If you are not feeling anything wrong, then let it be. Better not touch anything for this minor issue. How is the smoke? Which engine oil you use? tried engine flush? or engine oil additives?
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:51   #4960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
To rectify just cut the mud flap, and use a hammer to press the area where the wheel is touching. Ask your tyre fitter to do that for you. You can also try ignoring this issue, as its only a minor irritant.
Thanks Ankur, in fact I was also thinking about the same. Ignoring is not an option though, it is fouling quite strongly with the body.
But, is this is the problem and resolution all other safari owners faced, whoever has gone for aftermarket alloys?
Old 3rd January 2013, 20:37   #4961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But, is this is the problem and resolution all other safari owners faced, whoever has gone for aftermarket alloys?
No.
This is happening because the alloys you have chosen have an 'offset' compared to the OEM rims.
The right set of alloys will not have this problem. Do exchange these for suitable ones.
Old 3rd January 2013, 20:47   #4962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ankur, in fact I was also thinking about the same. Ignoring is not an option though, it is fouling quite strongly with the body.
the stock alloy size is 6.5J and you must have gone for wider alloys than that, its simple

i am using 6.5J aftermarket alloys and no problem
Old 5th January 2013, 23:17   #4963
Senior - BHPian

Browsing across i came across this

2.2 Euro V 150PS engine details

The link is misleading by name but the details mentioned in it is truly informative. Seems like a complete manual

http://xenon.tatamotors.com/fla/asse...on_3.0L_en.pdf

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 5th January 2013 at 23:18.
Rahulk76 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 12:27   #4964
Team-BHP Support

Of late I have seen that while turning the steering in parked vehicle, it often jams for a bit. So getting out of parallel parking spots is tough.
Steering damper was changed, but it did not improve things.
My SA is telling me that pump is weak, but if pump it weak why does it only jam at some points. I suspect something "mechanical" is causing obstruction somewhere.
What should I check?
Old 10th January 2013, 12:12   #4965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Browsing across i came across this

2.2 Euro V 150PS engine details

The link is misleading by name but the details mentioned in it is truly informative. Seems like a complete manual

http://xenon.tatamotors.com/fla/asse...on_3.0L_en.pdf
That PDF file has the link to the workshop manual of Xenon. I downloaded the workshop manual. It is useful for Safari too. Except for some changes like the position of electric switches.

Good find Rahul.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks