Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2012, 17:52   #4921
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
I have just changed the halogen bulbs in the headlights to HID's - 4300K. The HID comes with its own reflector, and the safari headlight, also has its own reflector. I am guessing that one should be removed, for better light and focusing. Can anybody please provide me pointers, who might have switched to HID's?
There is some guy who switched to HID in Safari but I did not like the final product. It is just of drool material. Second thing is there are no two beams (Low and High), it is only one beam. This means problem on highway and focussing.

For two beams the projector should have capability of moving up/down with motor, which I think not possible in Safari.

I just did my DIY 100/130 upgrade in my Safari with help of HappyWheels post. Highbeam is awesome and low beam also good. Also did DIY alighnment as pe dadu's thread on headlight alignment. I think this produces more than sufficient light for highway or city use. Also, my fog-lamps are aligned more towards low beam and it supplements both high & low beam adequately.

I used BOSCH wiring kit with BOSCH relay and Philips Rallye 100/130 bulbs. No cut has been made in the assembly anywhere. Both links given below.

If you really keen on HID then get aftermarket auxiliary fitment, possibly you have to import good quality light.

HappyWheel's post

Dadu's thread on headlight alignment
anujmishra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 18:29   #4922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post

I just did my DIY 100/130 upgrade in my Safari with help of HappyWheels post. Highbeam is awesome and low beam also good. Also did DIY alighnment as pe dadu's thread on headlight alignment. I think this produces more than sufficient light for highway or city use. Also, my fog-lamps are aligned more towards low beam and it supplements both high & low beam adequately.
using 100/130 may have an impact over the OE casing (holders) i.e. they can melt the casing, if used for longer durations. Can you please share your feedback over the same.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 14th December 2012, 19:18   #4923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
using 100/130 may have an impact over the OE casing (holders) i.e. they can melt the casing, if used for longer durations. Can you please share your feedback over the same.
As far as I know, the wiring kit comes with Ceramic holders rated to withstand the higher wattage, am assuming Anuj has used those.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 22:28   #4924

Hi Gurus,

I have 2011 model Tata Safari EX. I am experiencing steering problem from the past week with the safari.
1. It always pulls to the right,might be alignment issue, I think.
2. Whenever I apply the brakes,the steering wheel feels loose,pulls to right/left and there is some gad gad noise before the vehicle comes to stop. Please guide as I am experiencing these two issues.

Regards,
Apanchal
Old 14th December 2012, 23:39   #4925
BHPian

apanchal check your brake pads and liners asap.
sierrakamat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 08:18   #4926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
using 100/130 may have an impact over the OE casing (holders) i.e. they can melt the casing, if used for longer durations. Can you please share your feedback over the same. Irish
Well, There are many who are using it for quite long time including HappyWheels and LukeSkyWalker in their Safari. There was absolutely no issue till now. Also, I have used 90/100 in my 800 for 3 long years without any issue.

I was just waiting for my official warranty to over to switch this setup. I am on extended warranty now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
As far as I know, the wiring kit comes with Ceramic holders rated to withstand the higher wattage, am assuming Anuj has used those.
Yes, Luke I am using BOSCH genuine kit for the same. I purchased it from BOSCH service station.
Old 15th December 2012, 14:40   #4927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
using 100/130 may have an impact over the OE casing (holders) i.e. they can melt the casing, if used for longer durations...
Quote:
Well, There are many who are using it for quite long time including HappyWheels and LukeSkyWalker in their Safari. There was absolutely no issue till now. Also, I have used 90/100 in my 800 for 3 long years without any issue.
True; 3 years and counting; touch wood, no issues so far. And that is 100/130 variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Quote:
...Yes, Luke I am using BOSCH genuine kit for the same. I purchased it from BOSCH service station.
"Genuine kit" is the key word here.

And Anuj, this will not affect your warranty, if that is a concern, since no OEM wiring / fitting are modified. Apart from wires being sliced, there are few who make a hole on the HL cover to fit the wiring - that will void the warranty on the headlight, which is also not being done in the process I mentioned.
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 20:03   #4928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apanchal View Post
Hi Gurus,

I have 2011 model Tata Safari EX. I am experiencing steering problem from the past week with the safari.
1. It always pulls to the right,might be alignment issue, I think.
2. Whenever I apply the brakes,the steering wheel feels loose,pulls to right/left and there is some gad gad noise before the vehicle comes to stop. Please guide as I am experiencing these two issues.

Regards,
Apanchal
Check the suspension ends, bearings, ball joints, brake pads and alignment.
Old 16th December 2012, 19:07   #4929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
The 2.2 rear wheel doesn't has a bearing or does it.? . Its apparently something to do with the brake setting or the drum. Investigations are still on. Mostly seems like a spring issue or something related to brakes

No work has been ever done on the axle ever.
EDIT: Just called workshop and they say that they have resetted the LSPV valve, brake switch and the brake setting inside the drum and TDed the vehicle for 40 kms. So far uniform heating on both the wheels. Bearing is also OK as per him. Do you have any known check to see if its really shot ?
Ok so after a week or so of testing the brakes, it was confirmed that

1. Rear Wheel Cylinders of TVS Girling make had developed sticky pistons (Covered under extended warranty)

2. The LSPV valve resetting was done again. They said that the gap had increased . I wonder how (Thanks Dadu for the Tip)
Suggest all owners to check the heating on the rear rhs wheel after a days run.

3. After putting new cylinders the RHS side (which had issue) was resetted. Some nuts and screws stuff.

After hard driving 70KM and braking more than required (Keeping all the safety in hand and mind ), the heat generated is uniform on both the rear wheel drum.

The brakepads and the liners are holding good for another 10-15k kms. (I am on second set of brake pads)

In the meantime also took care of the creaking front suspension, got them to overhaul it and put the full suspension bushkit. The OEM quality of bushes was indeed damn pathetic. It seemed like they were battle casualty. Worn and torn and cut

I guess now i can look forward to another peaceful 50-60k kms of niggle free suspension bushes unless the morons didnt pressfit the bushes properly.

Hopefully the issue wont repeat again. I will check milage again during the next fill. It should increase substantially now to 11-12 in city from present 9
Old 16th December 2012, 19:17   #4930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is some guy who switched to HID in Safari but I did not like the final product. It is just of drool material. Second thing is there are no two beams (Low and High), it is only one beam. This means problem on highway and focussing.

For two beams the projector should have capability of moving up/down with motor, which I think not possible in Safari.
I have a bi-xenon HID on my safari and it works properly if focused properly
The low beam works, the flasher works and the HL leveler works and the Hi beam works
Old 17th December 2012, 10:35   #4931
BHPian

Have taken my Safari for the 3rd free service, this is what they are changing and the rates--
Engine Oil - 2200
Oil Filter - 500
Air Filter -800 (I asked them to check whether it can be cleaned and not replaced)
Axle oil change - 500
Brake Pad Clean - 350
Car Lubrication -- 400

Does all this sound normal?

Last edited by Ajitsingh208 : 17th December 2012 at 10:36.
Old 17th December 2012, 11:45   #4932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
I have a bi-xenon HID on my safari and it works properly if focused properly
The low beam works, the flasher works and the HL leveler works and the Hi beam works
Rahul, did you remove the reflector that comes prefitted in the HID BULB? or u have 2 reflectors? one in the bulb and another in the headlight?
Old 17th December 2012, 11:48   #4933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
Have taken my Safari for the 3rd free service, this is what they are changing and the rates--
Engine Oil - 2200
Oil Filter - 500
Air Filter -800 (I asked them to check whether it can be cleaned and not replaced)
Axle oil change - 500
Brake Pad Clean - 350
Car Lubrication -- 400

Does all this sound normal?
Car lubrication is BS. I dont think they do anything in it.
oil filter is 220 in after market, but with warranty in place, u dont have an option but to buy expensive. Same for air filter, its for 650 in after market. Get brake pads checked in after market shop, if there is a problem, get it changed there. Tata has v expensive brake pads, around 4500 including labor for front 2 pads. Whereas in after market u can get it done for 1500 including labor.
Old 17th December 2012, 16:37   #4934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
Rahul, did you remove the reflector that comes prefitted in the HID BULB? or u have 2 reflectors? one in the bulb and another in the headlight?
Ankur,

There you go this should answer all of your questions

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2897997
Old 18th December 2012, 16:11   #4935
BHPian

I was talking to the CRM at Rama Motors about the extended warranty. He said that this isn't provided directly by Tata but by a 3rd party, Global(didn't get the full name). Is this true?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks