Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2012, 21:29   #4906
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hi all,

I want to clean my air filter. Now my question is which is the best way to clean it .Read many ways on the other threads like vacuuming/pressurised air/ hitting it on the wall etc. Also what is this type of filter used in the current 2.2L called and how much does a new one cost?

I also have another question the current engine oil in my safari is the Castrol GTX professional diesel 15W40 CH4 oil which is a mineral oil so at what is the interval I should change it. The reason I am asking this question is that my Safari was previously being used very rarely so it used to get the engine oil changed once a year but now the car covers a lot more per month for example last month itself I have done 3.5K kms in a month so what interval I should keep before changing the oil?
Old 1st December 2012, 21:36   #4907
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Hi all,

I want to clean my air filter. Now my question is which is the best way to clean it .Read many ways on the other threads like vacuuming/pressurised air/ hitting it on the wall etc. Also what is this type of filter used in the current 2.2L called and how much does a new one cost?
New filter costs 700-800 in the market.
To clean it use pressurized air
Quote:

I also have another question the current engine oil in my safari is the Castrol GTX professional diesel 15W40 CH4 oil which is a mineral oil so at what is the interval I should change it. The reason I am asking this question is that my Safari was previously being used very rarely so it used to get the engine oil changed once a year but now the car covers a lot more per month for example last month itself I have done 3.5K kms in a month so what interval I should keep before changing the oil?
Change it every 15000kms, just as the owners manual states.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 00:40   #4908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
New filter costs 700-800 in the market.
To clean it use pressurized air

Change it every 15000kms, just as the owners manual states.
There couldnt have been a better answer. i paid INR 700 ( air filter ) for my 2nd Service ALTHOUGH it was not scheduled but had to due to my trip to LEH soon after the 1st service.

I got mine cleaned in LEH by pressurised air.
Old 4th December 2012, 13:26   #4909
VM1
BHPian

While checking my coolant level today, I noticed the coolant tank had clear liquid. The engine was cold; opened the radiator cap and it had clear watery liquid. The coolant is no longer green as topped up abt 3000 km before. Is this normal?
Old 6th December 2012, 16:50   #4910
BHPian

I just completed 12k kms. My family says I have almost started living in it. Now I plan to leave for a road trip down south till Kanyakumari hopefully on 21st. I might hit the 13k mark by then. So shall I get the 3rd service done here . Will it count as the 3rd at 13k? or do the Service guys insist on it being close to 15K mark.

The other option is to get it done in Pune & get a general checkup done here in Delhi. In that case can anyone recommend a good Service center there which I can visit.

Last edited by Ajitsingh208 : 6th December 2012 at 16:52.
Old 7th December 2012, 11:45   #4911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1 View Post
While checking my coolant level today, I noticed the coolant tank had clear liquid. The engine was cold; opened the radiator cap and it had clear watery liquid. The coolant is no longer green as topped up abt 3000 km before. Is this normal?
Coolant should be changed at around 2 yrs Mark. Having clear is not that problem, just keep an eye, and top up with castrol coolant as and when required. If engine is not heating up, you should be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
I just completed 12k kms. My family says I have almost started living in it. Now I plan to leave for a road trip down south till Kanyakumari hopefully on 21st. I might hit the 13k mark by then. So shall I get the 3rd service done here . Will it count as the 3rd at 13k? or do the Service guys insist on it being close to 15K mark.

The other option is to get it done in Pune & get a general checkup done here in Delhi. In that case can anyone recommend a good Service center there which I can visit.
Get service done in Delhi. You will be riding smoother with fresh engine oil on the long trip. Get the brake pads checked also. I recommend the use of engine oil additive, something like STP. Have fun.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 15:24   #4912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
Get service done in Delhi. You will be riding smoother with fresh engine oil on the long trip. Get the brake pads checked also. I recommend the use of engine oil additive, something like STP. Have fun.
Thanks for the reply, So this would be counted as the 3rd one?
Has anyone been in a situation similar to mine. I just want to steer clear of any warranty issues that may arise later if they say that you haven't followed the prescribed intervals.
Old 7th December 2012, 16:17   #4913
v&v
Senior - BHPian

warranty issues creep-up when you miss or skip the schedule services as recommended in manual. If you do early, just don't use the free coupon you have always opt for paid service and oil change. I have done 2-3 times. Never faced any issue.
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 19:12   #4914
Senior - BHPian

The rear right wheel is jamming up and getting heated like a furnace in normal driving conditions. This causes issues like dragging the truck.

Problem is traced to the jammed RR brake cylinder which is replaced with another TVS Girling.

Now even after replacing the cylinder, the issue is back and ppl are clueless as to why.

I suspect the Drum as the moment it is put on, its a tight fit and takes effort to rotate the same unlike when the drum is not put on. the axle moves freely. , but workshop guys think otherwise

Please advise as to what could be possible issues.

Rahul

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 8th December 2012 at 19:15.
Old 8th December 2012, 21:17   #4915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
The rear right wheel is jamming up...
Now even after replacing the cylinder, the issue is back ... Drum as the moment it is put on, its a tight fit and takes effort to rotate...
I hope handbrake is not too tight? Why will drum warp w/o reason ? If it is one side then try swapping drums between left and right wheels to check if that is the cause.
Keep us updated.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 21:42   #4916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
I hope handbrake is not too tight? Why will drum warp w/o reason ? If it is one side then try swapping drums between left and right wheels to check if that is the cause.
Keep us updated.

-BJ
Handbrake is loose so no issues there. Infact its at the lowest setting.

Drum swapping hasn't been tried yet so will try that next.
Old 11th December 2012, 07:13   #4917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... its a tight fit and takes effort to rotate the same unlike when the drum is not put on. the axle moves freely. ...
There is a screw in most cars to mechanically adjust the idle position of the pads. This helps to set the distance between the pads and the drum so that both wheels will have similar braking action with the hand brake. This is purely mechanical and has nothing to do with the hydraulics.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 09:32   #4918
BHPian

Check for the wheel bearing. If it gets jammed, the drum/wheel will heat up and smoke like a furnace.
BTW, did you get any work done on the differential recently that need opening and refitting the axle?

Quote:
The rear right wheel is jamming up and getting heated like a furnace in normal driving conditions. This causes issues like dragging the truck.

Please advise as to what could be possible issues.

Rahul
Old 11th December 2012, 10:57   #4919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance_nut View Post
Check for the wheel bearing. If it gets jammed, the drum/wheel will heat up and smoke like a furnace.
BTW, did you get any work done on the differential recently that need opening and refitting the axle?
The 2.2 rear wheel doesn't has a bearing or does it.? . Its apparently something to do with the brake setting or the drum. Investigations are still on. Mostly seems like a spring issue or something related to brakes

No work has been ever done on the axle ever.
EDIT: Just called workshop and they say that they have resetted the LSPV valve, brake switch and the brake setting inside the drum and TDed the vehicle for 40 kms. So far uniform heating on both the wheels. Bearing is also OK as per him. Do you have any known check to see if its really shot ?

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 11th December 2012 at 11:04.
Old 14th December 2012, 11:59   #4920
BHPian

I have just changed the halogen bulbs in the headlights to HID's - 4300K. The HID comes with its own reflector, and the safari headlight, also has its own reflector. I am guessing that one should be removed, for better light and focusing. Can anybody please provide me pointers, who might have switched to HID's?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks