Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2012, 11:47   #4861
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari service lamp glows , 2 TASS outlets have no clue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselone View Post
Hi
I have a 2008 2.2 Safari dicor. The vehicle performed superbly for the last 4 plus years and has done 80,000 kms. Two months back while negotiating the Ooty ghat from the Madumalai side i noticed that the power dropped drastically. With great difficulty managed to reach the top. The interesting thing was that the service lamp did not glow. The next day all was fine and we travelled back to Bangalore without incident. Back in Bangalore there was no problem on the city roads for a couple of weeks. Then on a sunday drive the service lamp suddenly started to glow and the engine power was curtailed. Stopped the car and restarted, all was fine. Then after a few kilometres same issue. Next day took the car to KHT TASS in Whitefield.The error codes were earsed and I was told that the carbon needs to be cleaned from the silencer as the engine is getting feedback and hence the error. Was told to get the vehicle the next day for cleaning. Could not make it the next day so used the car in city for a few days without any incident. Then the light appeared again at low speed in the city.Was near Emm Emm motors on Banaswadi ring road so drove in to get a second opinion. The service advisor told me that the engine temperature sensor needs to be cleaned. Got that done, went for a test drive, light came on again. Then changed the sensor. Went for a drive- no light. Was happy andwent home. Come weekend took the car for a drive on Old Madras road, light came on again. Called Emm Emm guy, he said we need to check "all" the sensors and clean/replace them! Was not convinced so went back to KHT - a different advisor this time.He rubbished the idea of carbon deposit in the silencer and did the laptop diagnosys. this time some modulator switch on the exaust manifold was the culprit and it was cleaned. Went for a test drive - no issues. Next day went to the airport to pick my parents. On the way back driving at 70kmph the light came on again, this time on a mild gradient. Stopped, started again and continued, reached the Nagwara flyover, on the climb the light came on again.
Question- can someone enlighten me as to what is happening? I have lost trust in the diagnostic ability of the TASS guys :( . Has anyone faced a similliar problem here on the forum. Kindly advise.
Thanks
Dadu and CRDIsamir have covered most of the points. I had loss of power once and reason was as basic as damaged wiring. Try cleaning/replacing the air filter, oil filter, sedimentor. Get EGR valve cleaned. When did you get the timing belt checked/changed? Check all the pipes in the engine for leakage? How is the smoke from vehicle?
Old 30th October 2012, 17:43   #4862
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Condensation inside the headlamps is NOT normal and there could be moisture leakage from the headlamp sealing or from the rubber cover that covers the bulb holder. Get it checked.
Thats eight Dev, am pretty surprised on how even the replaced headlamps has similar problem. will be going to ASC to get this thing checked, thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 22:21   #4863
Senior - BHPian

Gave my Safari to Prerana Motors as the clutch seemed at end of life, the following parts had to be changed :
1. Clutch cover assembly
2. Clutch Disc
3. Releaser bearing assembly
Then I had found out that the tie rod end was also worn out, so the following got replaced:
4. Tie rod set
5.Centre Link assembly
After replacing the clutch kit, it was found that there was a grinding noise wehn the pedal was depressed, turned out that the master and Slave cylinder of the clutch also had to be replaced, so:
6. Stay rod for clutch assistance
7. Plastic clutch master cylinder
8. Clutch Slave cylinder assembly
9. Clutch fluid
10. Air filter element (regular maintenance)

The total bill came to some 28k plus, after discounts the final bill was Rs. 26375/- inclusive of labour charges for the work above. This is the single biggest amount I've spent on the Safari in 3.5 yrs of ownership as none of the parts were covered under extended warranty. Are these expenses indicative of things to come in the future?

Here is a scan of the bill with parts description:

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-preranabill-1280x768.jpg

Last edited by Lukeskywalker : 30th October 2012 at 22:22.
Old 31st October 2012, 12:32   #4864
Senior - BHPian

Luke I think we need to find an aftermarket garage in Bangalore which can take suspension / clutch jobs on Safari. Safari parts are available at around 50% of MRP outside.

BTW : In newer version of 2.2 Dicor they have almunium master and slave cylinders and clutch operates quite soft compared to older ones.
I am thinking of going for almunium one whenever the need arrives in future.

T.A.S.S has habit of advising clutch overhaul , I complained about extra hard clutch at 42K and they told clutch is gone there was no slippage etc so I went to another garage and just got the clutch fluid replaced and it is working fine for last 5K KM.
Old 31st October 2012, 13:39   #4865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Gave my Safari to Prerana Motors as the clutch seemed at end of life, the following parts had to be changed :
1. Clutch cover assembly
2. Clutch Disc
Then I had found out that the tie rod end was also worn out, so the following got replaced:
4. Tie rod set
5.Centre Link assembly
After replacing the clutch kit, it was found that there was a grinding noise wehn the pedal was depressed, turned out that the master and Slave cylinder of the clutch also had to be replaced, so:
9. Clutch fluid

The total bill came to some 28k plus, after discounts the final bill was Rs. 26375/- inclusive of labour charges for the work above. This is the single biggest amount I've spent on the Safari in 3.5 yrs of ownership as none of the parts were covered under extended warranty. Are these expenses indicative of things to come in the future?

Attachment 1008008
I just got some of the work done from my local mechanic and the cost was 50%. As a thumb rule, for whatever is non critical and not inside of engine, use local mechanic. For e.g. clutch cover+Disc was for Rs 5000. Please don't get alarmed with the costs. Its a big car, and things like clutch and suspension needs work around 70-90k k.m. As you car is approaching 4 yrs, next may be the replacement of the engine belts (and the wheel bearings). Your car should be then good for next 3.5 to 4 yrs

Last edited by ankur_gupta10 : 31st October 2012 at 13:40. Reason: typo
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 14:29   #4866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Luke I think we need to find an aftermarket garage in Bangalore which can take suspension / clutch jobs on Safari. Safari parts are available at around 50% of MRP outside.
we need to find a workshop which can handle safari's comfortably, T.A.S.S has a habit of replacing parts unnecessary. For me, if it aint broke dont fix it (dont replace parts till you can see/feel some problem yourself).
Old 31st October 2012, 15:52   #4867
BHPian

Luke, the master and the slave cylinders are covered under extended warranty. The clutch and the related parts are also mentioned to be under EW, but after 35-40K kms they don't honour it and cite wear'n'tear.

By the time the EW on my truck finished, i have gotten 2 slave cylinders and 1 master cylinder (even though the master cylinder was working properly, got it to change when it actually fails) replaced FOC.
Take the A.S.S to task, raise some noise, write a mail or two, should help getting at least the cylinder covered.

Quote:
1. Clutch cover assembly
2. Clutch Disc
4. Tie rod set
5.Centre Link assembly
9. Clutch fluid

Attachment 1008008
trance_nut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 17:02   #4868
BHPian

Anyone have any experience with leaky radiators on the 2.2? In Feb, mine had small leaks and Concorde got it repaired (soldered I guess by sending it out) but recently it's leaking from the right hand side right near the top where the plastic and steel housing clamps are - I have been adding water, about 2 Ltrs for 800-900 kms - till I can figure out the solution.

It seems to be a tiny leak - I can't see any leakage with the engine running and revving - but I can see small water residue on the plastic moulding of the radiator housing. TASS suggested I take it to some of the radiator shops on Siddaiah road for treating the leak or replace it.

Haven't drained and filled fresh coolant this service yet because of this issue - any suggestions from the experts?

Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 18:04   #4869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Luke, the master and the slave cylinders are covered under extended warranty. The clutch and the related parts are also mentioned to be under EW, but after 35-40K kms they don't honour it and cite wear'n'tear.
Thanks Trance_Nut, I have raised it with the A.S.S and they have promised to have a re look.
Old 31st October 2012, 20:26   #4870
BHPian

Safari Gurus,

AS you all know that my Safari was with Concorde Motors, Mysore road due to some Engine problem issues which I had reported earlier in the same thread.

They have replaced my beast's heart with a recon Engine. Today I took the delivery of my beast. Now I feel the engine is smooth and has better response than earlier.
The SA at concorde told me not to use AC for atleast 2000 KMS. I have started the run-in period already.
I am confused here as some say that it is fine even if I use AC but not to cross 2500 RPM.
Can you guys throw some light on this.

Also I forgot to mention here that I also got the clutch plates and the pressure plates changed as the SA insisted me to go for the new one to feel the better ride quality. Not sure whether this was required ..(the first one had clocked 36500 kms on the odo) .but had to forcefully say yes as many of them insisted to go for the new one. Atleast I saved the labour charges here ...
They have still not given me the final invoice as they told that the final invoice would be generated once they get the approved invoice (for recon Engine) from Tata Motors.

I will provide the details of the invoice when I receive the final invoice from Concorde Motors.
Old 31st October 2012, 21:39   #4871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shams_4x4 View Post
Safari Gurus,

AS you all know that my Safari was with Concorde Motors, Mysore road due to some Engine problem issues which I had reported earlier in the same thread.

They have replaced my beast's heart with a recon Engine. Today I took the delivery of my beast. Now I feel the engine is smooth and has better response than earlier.
The SA at concorde told me not to use AC for atleast 2000 KMS. I have started the run-in period already.
I am confused here as some say that it is fine even if I use AC but not to cross 2500 RPM.
Can you guys throw some light on this.

Also I forgot to mention here that I also got the clutch plates and the pressure plates changed as the SA insisted me to go for the new one to feel the better ride quality. Not sure whether this was required ..(the first one had clocked 36500 kms on the odo) .but had to forcefully say yes as many of them insisted to go for the new one. Atleast I saved the labour charges here ...
They have still not given me the final invoice as they told that the final invoice would be generated once they get the approved invoice (for recon Engine) from Tata Motors.

I will provide the details of the invoice when I receive the final invoice from Concorde Motors.
That's a pretty funny thing to ask! Not use AC for 2000kms!

And about clutch, seems TASS people love doing this. Too late now since you could have got it checked by someone else or by yourself ( there was a post on how to) before saying yes.
Old 1st November 2012, 09:50   #4872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
BTW : In newer version of 2.2 Dicor they have almunium master and slave cylinders and clutch operates quite soft compared to older ones.
I am thinking of going for almunium one whenever the need arrives in future.
Hi Amit, I might be wrong on this, but the changes are more intricate, in case you would want to go in for such a conversion. The entire pedal assembly and gearbox casing need to be replaced with the new setup used in the Mk-II models. Reason being that the slave cylinder now sits on the gearbox casing (it's bolted on it), and is on the RHS, while it is on the LHS for the older 2.2's. The new master cylinder routing too is compatible with the new pedal setup. I did not go into the specifics, but the guys at TASS spent quite some time studying this in the Service Manuals and TM circulars, before suggesting minimal changes that I have currently done on our Safari last week. I'll post the details today.

Also, does anyone know if the Mk-II gearbox was introduced in the Safari from the new monogram and mirror designs? If yes, then it might just turn out to be the same "hard" feeling of the clutch in due course, as I did get to see one such Safari.

Last edited by dkamath : 1st November 2012 at 09:52.
dkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 11:25   #4873
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
. This is the single biggest amount I've spent on the Safari in 3.5 yrs of ownership as none of the parts were covered under extended warranty. Are these expenses indicative of things to come in the future?

Attachment 1008008
You have been cheated.
Clutch slave cylinder and master cylinder are covered under extended warranty. Only the pressure and clutch plates are not if worn
did you inspect the clutch and pressure plates yourself? If they are not worn out, they are covered under extended warranty
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 22:13   #4874
BHPian

Work details for hard clutch issue

Our Safari went in for a solution to the hard/heavy clutch issue faced for long. The odo was at 41,111 kms last week. I must thank the GM, Service, DTE and Team Lead of Auto MATRIX, for taking trouble to look for a best and optimal solution to my problem. Thanks to dadu too, for all the advise given offline.

Following are the details of the work carried out:

1) Clutch plate was in very good condition, and the TASS suggested not to replace it. They said I can get only this part replaced if the issue persists.

2) Tata Motors has issued a circular for cases of clutch failure (though our's did not fail), wherein a release bearing with inner plastic sleeve is to be used, with Molykote grease (I was told that this is a special type of grease that can withstand high temperatures. Costs Rs.4,366.81/kg) to be applied on the contact surfaces.

3) Slave cylinder piston rod(?) length has shortened in the new slave cylinders. So, the guys reused this rod from the existing part.

Part No's of the parts used, and charges as per invoice (Luky, I see a difference in the charges made for you, for a few of the common items. Maybe they are Mk-II specific. Please do verify with your TASS):

Parts:
272425400157, ASSY 240 DIA CL.COVER-LUK INDIA, Rs.2,266.37
269929100296, ASSY SLAVE CYLINDER-BI-A29067024 TL, Rs.812.23
GREASEMOLIKOTE, GREASE MOLIKOTE BR2 (DOW CORNING), Rs.131.00
272425600168, ASSY.CL.REL.BRG W/PLASTIC SLEEVE-TEXSPIN), Rs.1,120.52
OILBRAKECASTR, BRAKE OIL UNIVERSAL (CASTR), Rs.85.59

Labour:
293020, Paid, Rs.1,680.00
STDCHK, SUNDRIES, Rs.90.00

TOTAL: Rs.7,045.00

Last edited by dkamath : 1st November 2012 at 22:21.
dkamath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 11:04   #4875
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried this HID projector ?
Cost : 15k
Where : Reliance autozone Gurgaon
Can be fitted in Safari.
Here is the website : http://genome-group.com/HID.html

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-20121104_114155.jpg

Most Viewed