Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2012, 18:25   #4846
BANNED

@ Shams - smsrini has answered it already.
The intent to retain the engine number is for their historical records maintenance as the same engine cannot be sold to 2 customers. They can map the parts replaced under the case to this engine number, like a typical BOM (bill of material). If you need some
Old 22nd October 2012, 00:29   #4847
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

My truck has been advised a front and rear suspension overhaul. Wanted to know what all is replaced -

1. shockers
2. Bushes
3. Ball Joints
4. Tie ends.

anything else?
Old 22nd October 2012, 15:41   #4848
BHPian

Getting a strange noise from steering when it is moved from one side to the other at about the mid point. It turns smoothly and then sounds/feels like it hits something and then turns further smoothly again. It is especially profound when I turn off the truck and turn the steering side to side in its play/loose arc. I get the same noise/feel when the front wheels go over potholes or rubber speed bumps (the narrow yellow/black ones). It feels like the steering is loose and is hitting something cluck-cluck. I've tried to get it fixed at TASS twice but they don't seem to notice anything wrong (how many times has that happened in past 4 years!) and then they simply tell me that they've greased the center pin and everything should be fine now.
Old 22nd October 2012, 16:25   #4849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
My truck has been advised a front and rear suspension overhaul. Wanted to know what all is replaced -

1. shockers
2. Bushes
3. Ball Joints
4. Tie ends.

anything else?
Depends. I havent changed the shockers yet. Whats your odo read?
Old 22nd October 2012, 16:41   #4850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
Getting a strange noise from steering when it is moved from one side to the other at about the mid point. It turns smoothly and then sounds/feels like it hits something and then turns further smoothly again. It is especially profound when I turn off the truck and turn the steering side to side in its play/loose arc. I get the same noise/feel when the front wheels go over potholes or rubber speed bumps (the narrow yellow/black ones). It feels like the steering is loose and is hitting something cluck-cluck. I've tried to get it fixed at TASS twice but they don't seem to notice anything wrong (how many times has that happened in past 4 years!) and then they simply tell me that they've greased the center pin and everything should be fine now.
It sounds like the issue with Suspension - tie rod ends, or bushes. I suggest show to some local good mechanic. TASS is generally more interested in work which fetches them good money quick, and not such labor intensive issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Depends. I haven't changed the shockers yet. Whats your odo read?
My shockers should be good too (did a self check as per many videos on youtube). Thats why i am planning to get the work done from outside. 70k on the odo for me. But i am unsure if the bushes also need to be changed? or how to judge that? Tie ends, and ball joints rubber is torn, so i feel it is better to change them.
Old 22nd October 2012, 16:47   #4851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yesterday, I revved the engine upto 2500-3000rpm, to clear the carbon. I do it once in a blue moon.
The engine was warmed up when I did this.
When the rpm came down, it fell to 400. Then it stayed at 400rpm.
I floored the accerator, and it did not increase beyond 500. I then left the accelerator.
The engine died.

I cranked the engine again, and it started with a very weird lumpy crank, and then fired up normally.
No service light or anything.

What could be wrong?

Experienced something similar when the brake switch under the brake pedal went kaput. The ECU got wrong signals about the brake being applied and cut fuel supply leading to loss of power. however in my case there was a service light. Another time, the brake bulb fused, leading to some sort of short, that essentially triggered similar behaviour.

Apparently switching off the engine and switching on again, should 'clear' the ECU errors and allow the engine to fire up normally.

In your case it could be some sort of sensor error in my opinion.
Old 29th October 2012, 17:32   #4852
BHPian

Tata Safari service lamp glows , 2 TASS outlets have no clue!

Hi
I have a 2008 2.2 Safari dicor. The vehicle performed superbly for the last 4 plus years and has done 80,000 kms. Two months back while negotiating the Ooty ghat from the Madumalai side i noticed that the power dropped drastically. With great difficulty managed to reach the top. The interesting thing was that the service lamp did not glow. The next day all was fine and we travelled back to Bangalore without incident. Back in Bangalore there was no problem on the city roads for a couple of weeks. Then on a sunday drive the service lamp suddenly started to glow and the engine power was curtailed. Stopped the car and restarted, all was fine. Then after a few kilometres same issue. Next day took the car to KHT TASS in Whitefield.The error codes were earsed and I was told that the carbon needs to be cleaned from the silencer as the engine is getting feedback and hence the error. Was told to get the vehicle the next day for cleaning. Could not make it the next day so used the car in city for a few days without any incident. Then the light appeared again at low speed in the city.Was near Emm Emm motors on Banaswadi ring road so drove in to get a second opinion. The service advisor told me that the engine temperature sensor needs to be cleaned. Got that done, went for a test drive, light came on again. Then changed the sensor. Went for a drive- no light. Was happy andwent home. Come weekend took the car for a drive on Old Madras road, light came on again. Called Emm Emm guy, he said we need to check "all" the sensors and clean/replace them! Was not convinced so went back to KHT - a different advisor this time.He rubbished the idea of carbon deposit in the silencer and did the laptop diagnosys. this time some modulator switch on the exaust manifold was the culprit and it was cleaned. Went for a test drive - no issues. Next day went to the airport to pick my parents. On the way back driving at 70kmph the light came on again, this time on a mild gradient. Stopped, started again and continued, reached the Nagwara flyover, on the climb the light came on again.
Question- can someone enlighten me as to what is happening? I have lost trust in the diagnostic ability of the TASS guys :( . Has anyone faced a similliar problem here on the forum. Kindly advise.
Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 17:45   #4853
v&v
Senior - BHPian

I suspect bad fuel . Try cleaning diesel filter and drain the sedimenter.

How many kms have u driven after last service ?
Old 29th October 2012, 17:56   #4854
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari service lamp glows , 2 TASS outlets have no clue!

I guess:

1.) Bad fuel
2.) Accelerator sensor
3.) Alternator regulator malfunction - i suspect this to be main thing...get voltage diagnosed...
Old 29th October 2012, 18:00   #4855
Senior - BHPian

You may want to take it to Concorde motors - Kudlu gate or Mysore road..

at kudlu gate, ask for service advisor ASAF or sr. mechanics - Raghu or Ganesh. They've been quite good with diagnosing problems with the 2.2 Dicor.
Old 29th October 2012, 18:30   #4856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselone View Post
Hi
I have a 2008 2.2 Safari dicor. The vehicle performed superbly for the last 4 plus years and has done 80,000 kms. Two months back while negotiating the Ooty ghat from the Madumalai side i noticed that the power dropped drastically. With great difficulty managed to reach the top. The interesting thing was that the service lamp did not glow. The next day all was fine and we travelled back to Bangalore without incident. Back in Bangalore there was no problem on the city roads for a couple of weeks. Then on a sunday drive the service lamp suddenly started to glow and the engine power was curtailed. Stopped the car and restarted, all was fine. Then after a few kilometres same issue. Next day took the car to KHT TASS in Whitefield.The error codes were earsed and I was told that the carbon needs to be cleaned from the silencer as the engine is getting feedback and hence the error. Was told to get the vehicle the next day for cleaning. Could not make it the next day so used the car in city for a few days without any incident. Then the light appeared again at low speed in the city.Was near Emm Emm motors on Banaswadi ring road so drove in to get a second opinion. The service advisor told me that the engine temperature sensor needs to be cleaned. Got that done, went for a test drive, light came on again. Then changed the sensor. Went for a drive- no light. Was happy andwent home. Come weekend took the car for a drive on Old Madras road, light came on again. Called Emm Emm guy, he said we need to check "all" the sensors and clean/replace them! Was not convinced so went back to KHT - a different advisor this time.He rubbished the idea of carbon deposit in the silencer and did the laptop diagnosys. this time some modulator switch on the exaust manifold was the culprit and it was cleaned. Went for a test drive - no issues. Next day went to the airport to pick my parents. On the way back driving at 70kmph the light came on again, this time on a mild gradient. Stopped, started again and continued, reached the Nagwara flyover, on the climb the light came on again.
Question- can someone enlighten me as to what is happening? I have lost trust in the diagnostic ability of the TASS guys :( . Has anyone faced a similliar problem here on the forum. Kindly advise.
Thanks

Do you remember what were the error codes generated ? Next time when the SA connects the lappie to the vehicle kindly note down the error codes so that we can analyze the same and let you know the details of those.

In your case you have mentioned that the light coming on is associated with loss of power.

How long light stays on when it comes ?

The next time when it comes on dont switch off your vehicle continue driving or remain in idling for some time. Note weather the light goes off on its own once the load on the engine eases off.

When have you changed your diesel filter and the sedimentor ? If the diesel filter or the sedimentor is clogged then whenever the engine is under load then the FIP may not get the required diesel which in turn causes loss of rail pressure triggering the light and loss of power.

The SA has mentioned of the silencer of carbon deposit. In a way he is true as the silencer has 3 mufflers out of which the first one is the catalytic convertor which has fine mesh like ceramic material. If this gets clogged then there is restriction on the exhaust gases passing out. Though this may not trigger the light.

Another component in the exhaust system is the EGR(exhaust gas recirculation) valve which may get jammed due to carbon deposit and may not function properly. This can trigger the light but then the vehicle should emit thick black smoke.

Then comes the pump & injectors. If the backleakage in the injectors is more then there is difficulty in maintaining the rail pressure which can trigger the light and also loss of power. The pump is also responsible to build and maintain the rail pressure.

Plese ask the advisor to connect the Diamond kit and carry out the static and dynamic test on the vehicle to check for the condition og the FIP and the injectors.

Keep me updated

Regards

Samir

Last edited by CRDIsamir : 29th October 2012 at 18:33.
CRDIsamir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 18:43   #4857
BHPian

I have a 3 ltr dicor, had a similar problem.
Engine light directly puts the ecu into limp mode, hence the loss of power feel. My issue was with the coolant temperature sensor. It used happen whenever the outside air / temp was cold and moist (at night after 12 or so), even happens when the air filter is clogged. Instant fix for temp sensor error is to switch off the vehicle and switch it on again. The engine light goes and car comes back to normal.
Old 29th October 2012, 20:01   #4858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselone View Post
Thanks
Please try to remember the error code and post that here, it will be easier to diagnose with that in hand.
Old 29th October 2012, 20:21   #4859
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Have been noticing water vapor in the bottom left/right corners of both the headlamps, this is after driving in the rains with the headlights on for a while. TASS got both the headlamps changed promptly but i did notice the same on the replaced set aswel.

now is this a "feature/normal" or something unusual?

Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 20:29   #4860
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Hi,

Have been noticing water vapor in the bottom left/right corners of both the headlamps, this is after driving in the rains with the headlights on for a while.
Condensation inside the headlamps is NOT normal and there could be moisture leakage from the headlamp sealing or from the rubber cover that covers the bulb holder. Get it checked.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks