Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2012, 12:07   #4831
Team-BHP Support

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
My Safari's Windows specially left side front and back making lots of noise when it is half open. What could be the reason? Shall I get it checked at TASS or outside?

Also, I'm feeling that the speed of power windows reduced. Do I need to check the channels for this?
Its a feature, not a bug. Safari 2.2 came with dual channel power windows which has this feature. Now Tata has realized that its a flawed design, and new design is single channel. If your car is under warranty, get it changed as a "retro". There is no other fix.
Old 17th October 2012, 12:13   #4832
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra
My Safari's Windows specially left side front and back making lots of noise when it is half open. What could be the reason? Shall I get it checked at TASS or outside?

Also, I'm feeling that the speed of power windows reduced. Do I need to check the channels for this?
Is the noise emanating while rolling them up halfway mark or you mean it's the wind beating against the half open window ? Apart from the suggestions already made, it could be water particles in the switch which might cause erratic mechanical behavior. The ' feel' of power loss is not an issue unless you can make out different speeds at which the windows are operating on all 4 doors. As a healthy habit, advisable to operate all electric driven components when the engine is running. It helps to enhance battery life. Anyways let us know, what's the outcome.
Old 18th October 2012, 15:05   #4833
BHPian

For many (rather all ) facing the krrr noise nd jerk / smoke puff issue , here's the solution :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-2-2-aria.html
Old 18th October 2012, 15:25   #4834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post
For many (rather all ) facing the krrr noise nd jerk / smoke puff issue , here's the solution :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-2-2-aria.html
Please confirm if this firmware update for BSIV versions onwards and the firmware version D04.
I asked for the same for my vehicle BSIII and got the reply that this update is only for BSIV versions only.
Old 18th October 2012, 15:25   #4835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its a feature, not a bug. Safari 2.2 came with dual channel power windows which has this feature. Now Tata has realized that its a flawed design, and new design is single channel. If your car is under warranty, get it changed as a "retro". There is no other fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prits_moh View Post
Is the noise emanating while rolling them up halfway mark or you mean it's the wind beating against the half open window ? Apart from the suggestions already made, it could be water particles in the switch which might cause erratic mechanical behavior. The ' feel' of power loss is not an issue unless you can make out different speeds at which the windows are operating on all 4 doors. As a healthy habit, advisable to operate all electric driven components when the engine is running. It helps to enhance battery life. Anyways let us know, what's the outcome.
I have a March 2012 dicor and i regularly roll down and roll up the windows when i keep the car on idle for 2 mins every morning. My perception is that if the windows stay in motion then the motor would keep functioning properly because i'm a guy who would otherwise never roll down the glasses no matter what.

Is this a good exercise? or am i going in the wrong direction?

Last edited by harishnayak : 18th October 2012 at 15:26. Reason: addition
Old 18th October 2012, 22:19   #4836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
... i regularly roll down and roll up the windows when i keep the car on idle for 2 mins... Is this a good exercise...
Well, a bit of exercise is therapeutic. (Over)doing it so regularly becomes a chore and moreover, window motors are not yet found to respond to Pavlovian training. Do it once in a while or only when you need it. If it has to fail, it will, nevertheless.

Mine is working OK, over 3 years. My safari is weekend rider only. I keep channels and beading clean and lubricated, though.

Cheers,
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 18th October 2012 at 22:24. Reason: minor correction
Old 19th October 2012, 07:51   #4837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
It might be damaged wiring. But it can be also a simple air/fuel filter getting choked. I hope you would have got the service done at 30k, where they would have changed all that. Keep us posted on what is the final diagnosis.
Quote:
Please ask to check the PCV valves as well. Don't leave the car to the technicians alone, ask them what all will they diagnose ? Keep probing if you are not happy. I get my safari serviced in the kudla gate service center. Helpful and resourceful service folks. Murali - 9845066995. You may take my reference(Pritish ). Good luck, please post the results.

First of all, Sorry for not updating with the diagnosis since last 2 days. There are couple of stampings (valve stampings) on the pistons on all 4 cylinders. But do not know the exact root cause for this. One of the service advisor told me that it might have caused due to a timing slip.
Yesterday I had been to Concorde Motors, Mysore road to check. SA told that Tata Motors have given the approval for a recon Engine. (HE told that the engine will be replaced)
Now Is it ok with the recon engine and can I drive my beast with the same pride as earlier ??
Also what other technical things I should ask them regarding this . I asked them to inspect the timing chain also if that is the root cause. Please suggest
shams_4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 08:44   #4838
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shams_4x4

First of all, Sorry for not updating with the diagnosis since last 2 days.
==============
Also what other technical things I should ask them regarding this . I asked them to inspect the timing chain also if that is the root cause. Please suggest
@Shams - your pride remains unaltered, because the specifications (ex power, torque etc) remain unaltered. Now, about the solution - are they replacing by a new engine ? Or refurbishing this one ? In both the case, there should be a warranty applicable, so it's a better way to deal with your situation. Ask for it. Allow me to share my opinion - if tata has decided to replace this particular copy of the engine, I guess they would have a good reason for it(else generosity isn't a very easily available virtue !!!) and believe me they will never reveal the exact reason(fault) for which they are agreeing to replace. So my advise is , keep the pitch of your request(to TASS) from that of a 'problem diagnosis' to 'problem rectification'. You may ask them to give you some sort of overall service warranty before you roll it out with the replaced engine. Even without a root cause analysis, it will be a better bang for your buck.
Old 19th October 2012, 15:49   #4839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shams_4x4 View Post
First of all, Sorry for not updating with the diagnosis since last 2 days. There are couple of stampings (valve stampings) on the pistons on all 4 cylinders. But do not know the exact root cause for this. One of the service advisor told me that it might have caused due to a timing slip.
Yesterday I had been to Concorde Motors, Mysore road to check. SA told that Tata Motors have given the approval for a recon Engine. (HE told that the engine will be replaced)
Now Is it ok with the recon engine and can I drive my beast with the same pride as earlier ??
If replaced under warranty, in all probability they will use RECONDITIONED parts - e.g engine head, Valves, Pistons, Cylinder bed etc., even injectors replaced under warranty are RECON spares.

This is as good as getting an engine rebuilt, say due to poor compression or worn pistons etc.,

There should be no problems with the vehicle.

Your warranty will still continue to the end of the period.

I got my engine head replaced along with the entire timing kit, waterpump etc., under warranty, and the repairs were done properly. However my injectors started playing up about 6 months after the repairs. TASS checked the same and said I can continue to run the vehicle without problems, and the vehicle's not given me any trouble so far. I only have to put up with tractor like engine noise on idle
Old 19th October 2012, 21:18   #4840
BHPian

[quote=prits_moh;2937404]@Shams - your pride remains unaltered, because the specifications (ex power, torque etc) remain unaltered. Now, about the solution - are they replacing by a new engine ? Or refurbishing this one ? In both the case, there should be a warranty applicable, so it's a better way to deal with your situation. quote]

I just reconfirmed with the SA. He told that they are replacing the old one with a new engine except the engine case / covering so as to maintain the same Engine number. They are not refurbishing the existing one.

I thought that if the entire assembly comes from the TATA plant, it comes with the Engine case also. Forgive me if I am stupid (lack of technical knowledge here). Please clarify me.

However, I have got a spare Safari from Concorde Motors until my beast is ready.
Old 19th October 2012, 22:36   #4841
Senior - BHPian

[quote=shams_4x4;2938286]
Quote:
@Shams - your pride remains unaltered, because the specifications (ex power, torque etc) remain unaltered. Now, about the solution - are they replacing by a new engine ? Or refurbishing this one ? In both the case, there should be a warranty applicable, so it's a better way to deal with your situation. quote]

I just reconfirmed with the SA. He told that they are replacing the old one with a new engine except the engine case / covering so as to maintain the same Engine number. They are not refurbishing the existing one.

I thought that if the entire assembly comes from the TATA plant, it comes with the Engine case also. Forgive me if I am stupid (lack of technical knowledge here). Please clarify me.

However, I have got a spare Safari from Concorde Motors until my beast is ready.
so they are in essence rebuilding your engine with either RECON or new parts as applicable. Parts that can be RECON-ed like the pistons, valves etc., will be.

Check the invoice that comes. it should mention if they use recon spares.
Old 20th October 2012, 01:35   #4842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
I only have to put up with tractor like engine noise on idle
Mine also had the same tractor like sound. Once concorde did a renumbering of injectors and the sound vanished for two days and later popped up. Second time they told me that shim needs to be added to injectors and its risky to open the injectors. Hence i also felt that its a feature and not but, but once i noticed that the engine oil was always in the mid way on the dipstick. I topped it upto to max level. Level was checked with car on flat surface and parked for whole night. After topping up and running the engine to normal operating temp, the sound disappeared. Now no more sounds. The earlier sound was very disturbing with the AC on and in enclosed parking slots. Dont know if it is useful.
Old 20th October 2012, 11:26   #4843
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday, I revved the engine upto 2500-3000rpm, to clear the carbon. I do it once in a blue moon.
The engine was warmed up when I did this.
When the rpm came down, it fell to 400. Then it stayed at 400rpm.
I floored the accerator, and it did not increase beyond 500. I then left the accelerator.
The engine died.

I cranked the engine again, and it started with a very weird lumpy crank, and then fired up normally.
No service light or anything.

What could be wrong?
Old 21st October 2012, 09:20   #4844
BHPian

Hi folks

Fiest major issue that I faced today since almost 2 years of ownership. I started my vehicle after gap of 28 hours in garage and gosh, she just refused to start. Couple of ign key rotattion produced only click click sound . The battery seemd to be alright at that time. After couple of more attempts left it as it was late in night. Today morning I wanted to open the hood to check the prob. As I pressed unlock from the remote, nothing happened and now the central locking starting producing continous click click sounds. manual opened the vehicle, tried everything but that sound didn't go. Attemped few 'dhakka' starts' no joy. Finally ahaving fed up, disconnected the battery wire. The sound went off(obviuosly).

I don't know why it happened. It was a perfectly maintained vehicle and it showed no signs of graceful degradadtion before this incident!!!!
Can guys throw some light here??
Old 21st October 2012, 11:56   #4845
Senior - BHPian

@ tsk might be some issue with fuel supply as the same thing happened when my Safari injectors were blocked, if you have'nt got any knocking at that time then there must not be any problem apart from some of the sludge blocking injectors for sometime and then got away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelz View Post
Hi folks
rything but that sound didn't go. Attemped few 'dhakka' starts' no joy. Finally ahaving fed up, disconnected the battery wire. The sound went off(obviuosly).

I don't know why it happened. It was a perfectly maintained vehicle and it showed no signs of graceful degradadtion before this incident!!!!
Can guys throw some light here??
Please tighten the immobiliser connector that is located below the drivers seat, the problem will go away. I have faced the same problems 5-6 times before the problem was rectified. It's just that, don't try to remove the connector just tighten all the connectors below the drivers seat. The problem will go away.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks