Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2012, 12:55   #4771
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Yesterday noticed some oil on the floor near to front left tyre.
Today morning also found some oil spill , It is reddish in color and little thin
so looks like leaking from break line.

But breaking efficiency is still same , Any inputs ?

Will go to a Tata workshop near to Oil Madras road ( same location as earlier Prerana but now the name and management has changed I guess)
Old 24th September 2012, 13:18   #4772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Today morning also found some oil spill , It is reddish in color and little thin

Will go to a Tata workshop near to Oil Madras road ( same location as earlier Prerana but now the name and management has changed I guess)
Too much oil on your mind ! I want to know where's this place on old madras road?
Anyways, OT: update on the issue that I was facing:
There was a leakage in the radiator and it was causing a lot of mis(s)behavior as well. I had gotten the water pump changed around 5k kms back and was shocked to find out that there was no coolant at all.
Anyways, I've got the issue fixed, there were some errors which have been "deleted" (which I've never understood why they delete it instead of sending them to the delphi guys for further debug and then delete so that the ecu functions normally!). The engine is running damn smooth now, I am not getting the smoke that I used to earlier! I just want to see how this other place is so that I can get some minor checkups done..

Thanks,
Tejas

Last edited by bantejas : 24th September 2012 at 13:36.
Old 24th September 2012, 19:39   #4773
BHPian

I want to get the fog lamps fixed in my Safari LX, But I am not keen to pay 4000rs for the new switch on the console. Another option that I saw on this forum is to have a switch at the space given for 4X4.
Has anyone tried adding the wiring of fog lamp to the already existing lights switch, so that the fog lamps are switched on when parking lights are turned on. What are the cons of this?
Old 24th September 2012, 20:06   #4774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
I want to get the fog lamps fixed in my Safari LX, But I am not keen to pay 4000rs for the new switch on the console. Another option that I saw on this forum is to have a switch at the space given for 4X4.
Has anyone tried adding the wiring of fog lamp to the already existing lights switch, so that the fog lamps are switched on when parking lights are turned on. What are the cons of this?
Hi,

I have done the similar setup but not for Fog's but did it for DRL's i havent seen any problem till now, all i would suggest you is to fix a small Fuse of lower Amps, and if there is any problem the fuse will go which would save the fogs.
SPEEDY_RACER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 20:30   #4775
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208
Ajit I have connected fog lamp to parking light's. No issues till date. Also I have another set on the bull guard and it's wired separately with a switch at 4x4 space.
Old 25th September 2012, 21:54   #4776
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone found a solution on this famous " Missing at 1500 rpm" issue on the Safari. I am facing it even on brand new Safari. After 1st service this problem was cleared, but came back exactly after 300kms. The engine misses/ coughs at 1500 odd rpm when i change gears. It coughs and then immediately picks up.
Old 26th September 2012, 00:30   #4777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
Too much oil on your mind ! I want to know where's this place on old madras road?
LOL yes any oil spill is enough to make one paranoid.
This place is just in between Gopalan Mall and Shell petrol pump on Old Madras Road. Earlier it was Prerana Motors but now it is Centa , Staff is still the same.
It is near to Bagmane tech park so for small jobs quite convinent but I will not recommend for any complicated stuff.

Quote:

But breaking efficiency is still same , Any inputs ?
'

The problem was due to something getting loose near to calliper so oil was leaking. As per service advisor the idle nut on left side was adjusted too much for smaller turning radius.

Anyway as we know T.A.S.S billing is strange they have one line item break check up and renewal for 450Rs so to justify the labour charges I asked them to replace DOT3 fluid in both break and Clutch.
Now one thing for emptying the clutch contains the just absorbed oil in rags and did not empty it by bleeding so some of the old oil will remain in the system, I think one reason for Safari hard clutch is this kind of workshop practice
Old 26th September 2012, 09:55   #4778
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Has anyone found a solution on this famous " Missing at 1500 rpm" issue on the Safari. I am facing it even on brand new Safari. After 1st service this problem was cleared, but came back exactly after 300kms. The engine misses/ coughs at 1500 odd rpm when i change gears. It coughs and then immediately picks up.
I was facing similar problem in my Vista at 1800-2000 RPM. Finally they changed the head gasket and valves
Old 26th September 2012, 11:08   #4779
Senior - BHPian

Its not a complex job, the dealer fixed it for free for my truck, as this was the only free goodie which i got with my LX truck.

I think the technicians took about an hour to do this and the switch has been fixed in the slot available near steering.

The make of the fog lamps is "Minda" so you should be able to procure it outside for much lesser amount.

Quote:
Old 26th September 2012, 13:07   #4780
BHPian

Quote:
I got whole switchset of console(of EX) for Rs 1400
Old 26th September 2012, 13:35   #4781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
From where you got it ?

Here these jokers just say it is not sold or if it is then some big amount is quoted.

So the whole fog lamp upgrade should cost 1400 + 1200 ( price of Indica V2 fog lamp from minda quoted few posts back ) + labour if done outside.

One of my fog lamp has water inside but it is working fine and there is no crack visible should i change or just drain water and continue ?
Is the minda foglamp available as single piece or just in pair ?

Last edited by amitk26 : 26th September 2012 at 13:37.
Old 26th September 2012, 13:47   #4782
BHPian

I bought it from Yamuna Nagar. I also had Minda and water got inside it, I then changed it to local one( I guess it was for Rs 250). Before installation, I put lot of sealant on it. Now I have One Minda and One Local one. This Minda one has water seeped inside. Minda is available as single piece here in Faridabad
Old 26th September 2012, 17:30   #4783
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ajit,

I have the similar setup running perfectly since last 2 years. Got the OE Fog lamps fitted and instead of the complete centre switch console, got a normal INR 150 switch plugged in place of the 4X4 socket. the Tata A.S.S. guy himself suggested me this. Also, you have the option of getting this connected with the Parking lights or Independent. I got it connected with the Parking ones.

In addition, I also got the rear fog lamps fitted in and got them connected to the brake lamps, so each time brakes are applied, they glow as well.

Both setups are pretty easy to install and normally should not take more than 2 hours.

I will try to get you some pics in couple of days.
shantanumishra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 18:32   #4784
Team-BHP Support

I had Minda OEM fog lamps on the safari, since its an EX.
Because there was a button the dash, I pressed it, and fog lamps came on.
There was no warning saying do not press.
Then it rained.
And then they cracked(Heat + water I guess)

Then I spent 250rs/pair and bought non Minda. Whats the point of Minda?

However, minda comes with excellent connectors. So the OEM connectors were removed, fixed on desi versions, and then its plug and play. No wire cutting and all required.

Now when it rains, I will not switch them on. But even if they crack, its not a 2000rs bill I guess
Old 26th September 2012, 18:46   #4785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One of my fog lamp has water inside but it is working fine and there is no crack visible should i change or just drain water and continue ?
Is the minda foglamp available as single piece or just in pair ?
Even, my both fog lamps are fogged. But it is doing its duty. I focused my fog lamps as per little less than low beam of HL. It is boon while night driving on highways.
I am just afraid of changing it as I feel it would spoil my current focus setting. I am just too used to it.

Quote:
I bought it from Yamuna Nagar. I also had Minda and water got inside it, I then changed it to local one( I guess it was for Rs 250). Before installation, I put lot of sealant on it. Now I have One Minda and One Local one. This Minda one has water seeped inside. Minda is available as single piece here in Faridabad
Quote:
We are in search of entire central switch console for LX. Not sure where in Bangalore we could get it. TASS quote Rs. 3400 for it.

Quote:
I have exactly same setup as you want in your LX. I also have LX and setup with external switch at 4X4 place. I had bought fog lamps for Rs. 1200 a piece from TASS, if I remember exactly. Whole setup took around Rs. 3200 at TASS including one external relay.

Relay and wiring all present in LX as well for fog lamps. Only lamps and switch are missing. TASS people just afraid of using original relay and wiring. So, I had to pay for relay as well and external wires for wiring.

Last edited by anujmishra : 26th September 2012 at 18:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks