Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2012, 22:49   #4756
Team-BHP Support

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Today, both 4L and 4H lights lit up after I started the car. Since this happened when I was at Autolinks(yes, I almost live there), they put the car on a ramp, and then blew pressurised air at the transfer case motor and electronics.

After that we engaged 4H, 4L and disengaged, and the lights went away. All working okay. I am told this happens due to pressure wash. Even some other cars had this problem after washing.

I want to know, if I coat the entire stuff in grease, will it cause any harm. I think it should not, though.
Old 18th September 2012, 23:37   #4757
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Today, both 4L and 4H lights lit up after I started the car. Since this happened when I was at Autolinks(yes, I almost live there), they put the car on a ramp, and then blew pressurised air at the transfer case motor and electronics.

After that we engaged 4H, 4L and disengaged, and the lights went away. All working okay. I am told this happens due to pressure wash. Even some other cars had this problem after washing.

I want to know, if I coat the entire stuff in grease, will it cause any harm. I think it should not, though.
Yes. Quite normal when exposed to water. Usually goes away in a few days. Happened while wading through water logged Ahmedabad last week.
Instead of grease someone on a Scorpio/getaway thread talked about a silicon sealant. That might be better?
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 09:12   #4758
Team-BHP Support

That was Ss-Traveler. I will ping him and see where can I source this stuff. The transfer case of safari is somewhat protected from the elements, as opposed to the scorpio, but still its not really fool proof.
Old 19th September 2012, 11:27   #4759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
That was Ss-Traveler. I will ping him and see where can I source this stuff. ....
All friendly neighbourhood hardware stores stock this stuff.
Basically it is caulking material.
You can buy the cartridge and the dispensing gun from them.
Some stores also keep smaller packages - tubes. But it's much easier to apply with the gun, with a plastic spatula to help mould it around edges.
anupmathur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 14:31   #4760
BHPian

Last time when I visited Concorde they told me that my engine guard below the engine is corroded and right now is attached with only 3 bolts. They said they will introduce a fiber guard soon. Does any one know about this ?
I am worried that the metal guard may fall off any time.
Has anyone experienced corrosion in the engine guard ? What is the view of the Experts here ?
Old 19th September 2012, 14:34   #4761
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Last time when I visited Concorde they told me that my engine guard below the engine is corroded and right now is attached with only 3 bolts. They said they will introduce a fiber guard soon. Does any one know about this ?
I am worried that the metal guard may fall off any time.
Has anyone experienced corrosion in the engine guard ? What is the view of the Experts here ?
Yes, it goes. I lost one guard due to frequent underbody hits(gearbox guard).
However, rust alone will not make it go, its mostly due to impacts + rust.

I am not aware of any fiber guard though.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 14:41   #4762
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it goes. I lost one guard due to frequent underbody hits(gearbox guard).
However, rust alone will not make it go, its mostly due to impacts + rust.

I am not aware of any fiber guard though.
Wow. Thanks my Friend. That was real fast and helpful. I live near the coast and rust is a major problem. Sure the car would have suffered many underbody hits too as I have jumped over several carbreakers too. So it is better that I change the guard before it falls off.
Old 20th September 2012, 06:53   #4763
BHPian

Quote:

This happened to me a number of times, and usually goes away after few days. I do drive the car even for few yards almost daily in 4H and 4L on an uneven patch near my house just to keep things going smooth.

Somebody stole my spare tyre from the back. The tyre was old but the alloy was good. Any idea in Bangalore where could I buy used alloy for less. Size is 235/75 R15.
Old 21st September 2012, 18:01   #4764
Team-BHP Support

What is the fuel consumption/hour for the 2.2 engine when idling? Anybody got the figure?
Old 22nd September 2012, 13:30   #4765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the fuel consumption/hour for the 2.2 engine when idling? Anybody got the figure?
Never measured but have idled for 45 -50 mins on multiple occassions. Definetely under a litre is my guess.
Old 22nd September 2012, 14:52   #4766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No figures, but have idled overnight (close to 6-7) hours for 3 days, with a/c running, and did not notice any huge impact on the KMPL on refills during that time.
Old 23rd September 2012, 21:11   #4767
BHPian

Took the Safari to Rama Motors to get the water coming in from front windshield resolved.
They removed the moulding, took out the glass and sealed it again and then applied fresh moulding. So far water isn't coming in.
However when i went to collect it, the front seat looked liked this,

It took them 5 hours to clean the car. Then, when they finally cleaned it up to some extent, the inside rear view mirror fell off just as I was taking the car out.
They weren't able to fix it and then replaced it.
Got hold of the GM there and he has promised a full dry cleaning of the car next time I come in.
Apart from this got a wiper blade replaced too for which I was charged 150rs. Not sure if this is right.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-img2012092300037.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-img2012092300038.jpg  

Old 23rd September 2012, 22:33   #4768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
Took the Safari to Rama Motors to get the water coming in from front windshield resolved.
They removed the moulding, took out the glass and sealed it again and then applied fresh moulding. So far water isn't coming in.
However when i went to collect it, the front seat looked liked this,

Apart from this got a wiper blade replaced too for which I was charged 150rs. Not sure if this is right.
Hi Ajit,

This is how the mechanics at RAMA Motors work. If you stand at the gate of the workshop then you will see how the cars inside the workshop are handled. They keep fighting, abusing each other and wasting customer's time during working hours. It seems like the workshop supervisor has not control over them.

BTW why the wiper blade was changed? Were you present there, when it was replaced?

Because I was not present in their workshop and I was told that complete lockset in my Safari has been 'changed' whereas nothing was changed by them. I am too frustrated with the kind of services they provide at their workshop. I had to wait for 1.5 hours even after taking the 'appointment' but got frustrated with the workshop as well as the CRM staff and left for other priority work. Nobody started working till I was present there and in the afternoon, I was told that the lockset was changed. Do read the full details in my following thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ors-delhi.html

I have escalated the issue and still chasing the TATA Motors on this issue. It seems that RAMA Motors needs to be avoided at all costs. I am planing to visit some other workshop from next service onwards.

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 23rd September 2012 at 22:42.
Old 23rd September 2012, 23:13   #4769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Hi Ajit,

This is how the mechanics at RAMA Motors work. If you stand at the gate of the workshop then you will see how the cars inside the workshop are handled. They keep fighting, abusing each other and wasting customer's time during working hours. It seems like the workshop supervisor has not control over them.

BTW why the wiper blade was changed? Were you present there, when it was replaced?
I had to leave it overnight to let the sealant dry(that's what I was told), I had 3 complaints,
1.Water coming in from front windshield,
2.left wiper leaving mark on windshield.
3.Lights not focussing properly(3rd time mentioned in job card)

As per them they changed the Wiper blade, I checked it and it was cleaning ok.
As for the lights I am not still not satisfied, The left light goes up and right one down. At least that's what it looks like.
I also wanted to know whether the showroom guys are supposed to adjust the lights at 0 position or 3 position?
Even after my telling them to adjust it at 0 position, they have again adjusted it at 3
I'll now try the DIY, just need to find a wall.
I'll just get my car dry cleaned for free there & get the 5000km service done there and then onwards its Bye Bye Rama Motors, Maybe Autolinks Vasant Kunj or Gurgaon as recommended on the forum.
Old 24th September 2012, 11:27   #4770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
I had to leave it overnight to let the sealant dry(that's what I was told), I had 3 complaints,
1.Water coming in from front windshield,
2.left wiper leaving mark on windshield.
3.Lights not focussing properly(3rd time mentioned in job card)
Headlights in all recent cars are like that only. Its a feature. Right is down than the left one. And the reason is simple, because they dont want the headlight to hit in the eye of driver of the car coming from opposite direction. Left one is aimed higher so that incase something is coming from left side onto the road, then you can view it easily.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks